The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Certainly hard trying to not get caught up in disappointment about things that haven’t happened yet.
Eh I’m more of an Adams fan than most. I’m pretty excited about this offseason.

My point was mostly if you’re going to be concerned about something, bad trades rather than no trades are more likely.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Eh I’m more of an Adams fan than most. I’m pretty excited about this offseason.

My point was mostly if you’re going to be concerned about something, bad trades rather than no trades are more likely.

It wasn’t a shot, just my innate sense of dread is on squawk right now. :laugh:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
big moves are 100% happening. The question is will they be good players, will they work or will we be getting taken to the cleaners?

Adams job is on the line and everybody knows it
I see a big brain move:
Buyout Skinner to create cap room
Trade high value picks and prospects for a winger that doesn't defend
End up with a higher total cap hit for a similar player with less resources for future trades.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
big moves are 100% happening. The question is will they be good players, will they work or will we be getting taken to the cleaners?

Adams job is on the line and everybody knows it
He's been preparing for this exact scenario

We signed EJ last year so that when Adams is negotiating for cirelli he can tell Tampa "if you don't give a reasonable ask we'll just get someone just as good, like Scott laughton," and tampa will take that as a legitimate threat

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Buch, DeBrusk, Coleman, Marchessault, Crouse, Ehlers, Konecny, Vatrano, maybe Farabee

But he said it himself after the TDL, and if they buyout Skinner (which seems possible), it makes a lot of sense to add a proven guy to the top 6, since relying on young guys again doesn't make much sense. And there's a lot of smoke in the air that Adams wants to add a top 6 forward.
It would make sense for colorado trading ross Colton as they need to sign Mittlestadt. A 2 round pick in the draft for Colton That would sort out the top 9 C position .and signing Debrusk would be Nice addition in free agentcy . Then someone for the 4 th line

Debrusk Thompson Tuch
Peterka Cozens Quinn
Benson Ross Greenway
Girgensons —— ——

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
anyone post this ?

Strome, Wilson, PLD, Dowd, ??

In their last podcast I believe they talked about an unnamed rumor being part of the "mock offseason" they were doing. During the mock offseason Dowd was moved to the Sabres for a mid round pick (a 3rd?). Then he specifically mentions the capitals here. So if you believe he's actually connected, there's some easy to follow crumbs.

Not sure why the capitals are moving off a cheap 4th line center signed for 1 more year, but then again I don't know what their prospect pipeline looks like.

I highly doubt the Caps are moving Strome. Even with PLD added, their center depth in non existent.

Tom Wilson's new contract hasn't started yet, though, I suppose either Wilson could not want to be part of a rebuild or Washington realized they are overpaying him badly (6.5Mx7 years for a guy who just turned 30) and want to divest.

Of note, on WIlson's old contract, he had a 7 team NTC in his last year of his deal, oftentimes those mean he simply doesn't want to play in Canada. However, a new 15 team NTC kicks in July 1st.

But if it is WIlson and the Sabres pay a premium for him, big oof. You've probably got 2-3 years of tread life on him before he's collecting 6.5M to score 13 pts from the 4th line playing 45 games a year because of accumulated injuries.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Fairburn wants the Sabres to go get Pavel Buchnevich.

Buffalo Sabres
Trade for Pavel Buchnevich: The Sabres could use another forward in their top six, and Buchnevich would bring a different element to their forward group. He has three straight seasons of 60-plus points and plays with an edge that Buffalo lacks. He’s entering the final season of his contract, so maybe the Sabres could pry him away with some of the future assets they’ve stockpiled. — Matthew Fairburn

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
In their last podcast I believe they talked about an unnamed rumor being part of the "mock offseason" they were doing. During the mock offseason Dowd was moved to the Sabres for a mid round pick (a 3rd?). Then he specifically mentions the capitals here. So if you believe he's actually connected, there's some easy to follow crumbs.

Not sure why the capitals are moving off a cheap 4th line center signed for 1 more year, but then again I don't know what their prospect pipeline looks like.

I highly doubt the Caps are moving Strome. Even with PLD added, their center depth in non existent.

Tom Wilson's new contract hasn't started yet, though, I suppose either Wilson could not want to be part of a rebuild or Washington realized they are overpaying him badly (6.5Mx7 years for a guy who just turned 30) and want to divest.

Of note, on WIlson's old contract, he had a 7 team NTC in his last year of his deal, oftentimes those mean he simply doesn't want to play in Canada. However, a new 15 team NTC kicks in July 1st.

But if it is WIlson and the Sabres pay a premium for him, big oof. You've probably got 2-3 years of tread life on him before he's collecting 6.5M to score 13 pts from the 4th line playing 45 games a year because of accumulated
Delete

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
A Skinner buyout is much more enticing next off season. Too many years of a negative cap hit for little gain. This would be Hodgson on steroids on our cap. Even if he “only” repeats last years total of 24 goals it’s the best value on our short and long term cap to keep him one last year.

What we do need is to revamp the bottom 6. Let Girgs go, trade Krebs for D and sign someone high end at face offs with a decent two way game, and 2 bangers who have way more edge then these soft ass Sabre teams the last 14 years. And of course a top 6 forward and another RHD. 11+Krebs+A Rosen level prospect +other picks/B prospects is more then enough to acquire a top 6 forward and a RHD.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
My guess would be Dowd and/or Jensen. Both play positions of some need and still play at a decent enough level. Dowd would be the perfect 4C, and Jensen could be a good RD/PK guy who might pair well with Byram or Power.
Dowd is a great 4C (hopefully not Krebs 3C). Jensen is a bit of weird, he was a good top 4 DFD a few years ago with good metrics, but I checked the Caps board and they seem open to trading him, apparently he had a down year and will be 34 in a few months. I hope his game doesn't completely fall off a cliff if Adams trades for him, otherwise it will be Eric Johnson 2.0. Also Dowd and Jensen seem to be good friends and would definitely bring some veteran experience and leadership to the Sabres locker room.

Another player that might be interesting is CMM, not sure if he is available but from what I understand he is a two way center. He had 18 goals and 33 points last season, I'm sure he knows guys like Cozens, Byram, Quinn and Levi well.

There could be a pick involved, considering Adams said he's willing to move up or down in the draft and the Caps have #17 and are short on high-end prospects.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Trade 2: Sabres acquire Nic Dowd, Nick Jensen, and 52nd overall from the Washington Capitals in exchange for Henri Jokiharju, 43rd overall, and a 2025 third-round pick

Given that Chad has said watch for a potential Sabres-Caps trade, this is interesting.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Its a 1st and a top prospect for Necas was the reported asking price. Funny how you minimize the value in favor of your point while maximizing the value of Necas to also favor your point :laugh:

We will see in a few weeks what happens.
11OV + Kulich or Savoie vs 11OV, Krebs, and a prospect that is not a top tier one are not that different from a trade package standpoint.

There are also rumblings that Carolina might prefer a "hockey trade" for Necas. And given that they have talked about how elite he is, that trade return is likely more than anyone here would like to give up.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A Skinner buyout is much more enticing next off season. Too many years of a negative cap hit for little gain. This would be Hodgson on steroids on our cap. Even if he “only” repeats last years total of 24 goals it’s the best value on our short and long term cap to keep him one last year.
It’s literally one year shorter to do it next year.

He’s on the books in some form for six years if they do it now. He’s on the books for four plus this year at 9 million if they wait.

He’s not going to repeat last years totals because he will not be on the top line anymore. He will be on the third line….and the pressbox. Where his totals were 0 goals and 1 assist in 13 games.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It’s literally one year shorter to do it next year.

He’s on the books in some form for six years if they do it now. He’s on the books for four plus this year at 9 million if they wait.

He’s not going to repeat last years totals because he will not be on the top line anymore. He will be on the third line….and the pressbox. Where his totals were 0 goals and 1 assist in 13 games.
Capture.PNG

You only save $444k in dead cap in each season from '25-26 through '28-29 by waiting a year to buy Skinner out.

It really is a "the sooner the better" situation if they are going to do it eventually.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
View attachment 886144

You only save $444k in dead cap in each season from '25-26 through '28-29 by waiting a year to buy Skinner out.

It really is a "the sooner the better" situation if they are going to do it eventually.
Also much better to be a year early than a year late in a situation like this. Keeping Skinner on the books and if he continues to falter next year then we buy him out anyways could really f*** us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad