The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
The ROR trade is being sighted? GMJB was forced to trade him one day before a $7.5 million bonus was due. If you believe Pegula was not a factor in that, or it didn't impact the value of trade, I honestly do not know what to say. Without question, after the bonus was paid, you got more for O'Reilly. All reports said the Sabres went back to Blues day before the bonus was due. Could another GM maybe worked his way better out of that? Probably. A bit. But it totally changed everything. The panic to trade O'Reilly because of one dressing room comment was just classic stupidity from maybe one of worst run teams ever. One man has been at the helm the whole time.
Just curious if you believe that T Peg told GMJB June 30th to trade ROR before the bonus was due or back in January - March timeframe of that year and GMJB spent months shopping him while trying to talk T Peg out of dealing him?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Jets fans seem to think/are hoping that if Chevy trades McGroaty (which might still be a big if)..........that Chevy fills a hole when doing so. The Jets holes are at RHD and #2 center.

There's a very recent comparable in the Gauthier-for-Drysdale swap. Granted, McGroaty isn't as talented as Gauthier.........but if Chevy is looking for a RHD or center that is NHL ready (or near).......we're not in the race.

As an aside -- if we didn't trade Mitts......Mitts for McGroaty would have made a ton of sense for both sides.
Jokiharju would probably look good playing for a different team (like most Sabres). An unprotected 2025 1st on top of Joker would give Chevy some ammo for that center he needs.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Hey Kevin. This is Kevyn.

I have a guy familiar with Winnipeg and probably likes it. Your fans are probably familiar with him too and would be happy to have him back.

His name is Matthew Savoie.

Do we have a deal?

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hey Kevin. This is Kevyn.

I have a guy familiar with Winnipeg and probably likes it. Your fans are probably familiar with him too and would be happy to have him back.

His name is Matthew Savoie.

Do we have a deal?
I think the Jets come out the winners here. They get rid of a player that has no interest in playing for them and Savoie turns into a solid top 6 player.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think McGroarty is really good and he fits our style perfectly. I don't remember exactly how much I liked him in the draft, but I think he was in my mix for #9 and I would definitely take him at #16. I wouldn't want to trade Savoie, he's my favorite prospect, although even there I would consider. Krebs, Jokiharju, Kulich, picks, something like that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not much I like on that roster except Tom Wilson but I hate the contract.
In general on capitals...

I dont ser what they can do.

They have a 9/7/1 roster with about $3M in space.backstrum is LTIR at 9.2M

Oshie is the big 1 yr rental UFA onbtheir rrg oster they could trade for youth.

what other teams misfit toys could they buy cheap?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think McGroarty is really good and he fits our style perfectly. I don't remember exactly how much I liked him in the draft, but I think he was in my mix for #9 and I would definitely take him at #16. I wouldn't want to trade Savoie, he's my favorite prospect, although even there I would consider. Krebs, Jokiharju, Kulich, picks, something like that.

I had him lower, down in the 20s I believe. I remember his skating was kinda painful. Everything else was good though, but I am wondering if he has improved in that area any.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I had him lower, down in the 20s I believe. I remember his skating was kinda painful. Everything else was good though, but I am wondering if he has improved in that area any.
From his thread on HF:

"Skating still obviously isn't his strong suit, but there has been improvement on it since his draft and I believe hes smart enough to overcome that weakness."

"He's tied for his team lead in points, and thats having missed 5 games. 12th overall in total points in the NCAA, and fewer games than every player ahead of him.

He's leading the NCAA in PPG right now, and doing so by a considerable margin (.10, which is larger than the gap between 2nd and 5th).

He also has the highest PPG (1.82) right now in the NCAA since Kyle Connor (1.87). The modern day NCAA record is Gaudreau at 2.00.

His offensive upside is way underrated. Too many people think because he plays hard and is a good leader that he's not got elite scoring skills. I think he's going to score 1PPG+ in the NHL. Should be moved back to Center, then Winnipeg could get a 1C, and my Tavares comparison will be complete."

But as I understand it, he still needs to work on his tempo and skating. Otherwise, he seems like a good player with leadership qualities and a perfect fit for our style.

Incidentally, McGroarty played few years when Leone was an assistant coach at USNTDP.

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
His skating isn't aesthetically pleasing stylistically but he's effective with it. I had him mid teens in his draft, and was on the Gauthier or Kasper train for #9

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Leone connection could be interesting. I don't know what the last conversation McGroarty had with the Jets was after they stopped talking. Considering that they have always been slow to develop prospects and prefer veterans even on the third line, they could have simply told him he needs 1-2 years in the AHL and he thinks he's NHL ready. McGroarty is not a damaged person from what I know, quite the opposite. Either way, when you trade for him with the guarantee that he'll sign a contract, go to training camp and play preseason games. Maybe if McGroarty and the team see that he's not ready yet he'll play in the AHL for a while under a coach he knows and he's also clearly aware that the Sabres have been doing a good job of developing young players in recent years. On the other hand, I think if Adams can get him, he immediately seems like our closest NHL-ready prospect given his skill set. I think he could very well start on the third line with the new 3C and Benson/Greenway.

sabresnyper

Jun 23, 2009
Syracuse, NY
From his thread on HF:

"Skating still obviously isn't his strong suit, but there has been improvement on it since his draft and I believe hes smart enough to overcome that weakness."

"He's tied for his team lead in points, and thats having missed 5 games. 12th overall in total points in the NCAA, and fewer games than every player ahead of him.

He's leading the NCAA in PPG right now, and doing so by a considerable margin (.10, which is larger than the gap between 2nd and 5th).

He also has the highest PPG (1.82) right now in the NCAA since Kyle Connor (1.87). The modern day NCAA record is Gaudreau at 2.00.

His offensive upside is way underrated. Too many people think because he plays hard and is a good leader that he's not got elite scoring skills. I think he's going to score 1PPG+ in the NHL. Should be moved back to Center, then Winnipeg could get a 1C, and my Tavares comparison will be complete."

But as I understand it, he still needs to work on his tempo and skating. Otherwise, he seems like a good player with leadership qualities and a perfect fit for our style.

Incidentally, McGroarty played few years when Leone was an assistant coach at USNTDP.
I recall Rivet being high on him, FWIW

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And in a reply he says it’s not Dylan Strome.

On the RMcG front, I would prefer to use picks and prospects on non-prospects that are proven at the NHL level.

:dunno:
Well, obviously, he's their only decent center.

I think McGroarty is too good for us to at least not kick the tires. And he looks NHL-ready.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think McGroarty is too good for us to at least not kick the tires. And he looks NHL-ready.

if what the rumors are true, I’m not touching McGroaty at all. If he’s not going to sign if he isn’t gifted playing time….im not giving him that deal either. It was dumb when we did it for Mittelstadt, it was dumb when we did it for Levi.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Sabres do not need more young, inexperienced players on this roster. Spending trade assets, or swapping a prospect with a different skill set for him, is not what they need to be prioritizing this offseason.

Trading Rosen or Savoie or 11OV for RMcG could mean that they do not have the assets to add a specific veteran player that they need more because the other GM wants what they no longer have.

I just do not believe this is the offseason for the Sabres to be looking into a deal like this. Plus, if McG doesn’t want to go to Winnipeg, what are the odds he’d want to sign in Buffalo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad