The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Probably heart burn from the terrible trade proposal he made and how universally it was shit on ...time to bully someone back...
I still think it’s a good trade idea - the only people who posted are people who don’t watch the Sabres and people who opinions I don’t ever agree with.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I find it annoying when people post false rumors on here with nothing to back it up. It’s actually against the rules of the forum.
Lmao ok dude whatever you say. Sorry you’re having a tough week.

I listed reasons why their relationship is considered icy by multiple people who aren’t just me. You said you didn’t want to accept the reasons I provided. If Friedman has to address it on his podcast obviously there’s something there that not just myself is seeing.

Sounds like a personal problem. Hope you can get over it. Or don’t. Idc

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Unless Skinner wants every last cent of his contract, he's personally better off taking the buyout and signing with a team of his choosing. Similar to Suter/Parise. Suter made more money, but I think Skinner more in the Parise situation where he comes out behind of what he would have earned playing out the contract.
Skinner will make our really well no matter what happens. That’s why he’s taken the stance he’s taken - he wins either way.

I listed reasons why their relationship is considered icy by multiple people who aren’t just me. You said you didn’t want to accept the reasons I provided.

Sounds like a personal problem. Hope you can get over it
you didn’t list a single reason - just said someone told you, but you didn’t say who it was.

Who told you they have an icy relationship? Someone in the media? If not, it’s an unsourced rumor and not allowed on the site.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I listed reasons why their relationship is considered icy by multiple people who aren’t just me. You said you didn’t want to accept the reasons I provided. If Friedman has to address it on his podcast obviously there’s something there that not just myself is seeing.

Sounds like a personal problem. Hope you can get over it. Or don’t. Idc
You told people to “be wary” of the news and then go one to make 20 posts about it, not being wary in the slightest yourself.

Why don’t you take your own advice?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Skinner will make our really well no matter what happens. That’s why he’s taken the stance he’s taken - he wins either way.

you didn’t list a single reason - just said someone told you, but you didn’t say who it was.

Who told you they have an icy relationship? Someone in the media? If not, it’s an unsourced rumor and not allowed on the site.
What the f*** are you talking about? I said Adams himself said that the Tuch rumor was based on Friedman speculating and he was visibly grated about it. The Eichel saga where he was going to do a tell all with Friedman. And then Friedman addressing their relationship on 32 thoughts.

You are literally making things up. This convo is done. You’re arguing in bad faith. Have a good week

Reactions: Samsonite23

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
What the f*** are you talking about? I said Adams himself said that the Tuch rumor was based on Friedman speculating and he was visibly grated about it. The Eichel saga where he was going to do a tell all with Friedman. And then Friedman addressing their relationship on 32 thoughts.

You are literally making things up. This convo is done. You’re arguing in bad faith. Have a good week
Yeah, that’s what the media does. It’s not proof that they have an icy relationship - it’s you projecting your insecurities onto Adams.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yeah, that’s what the media does. It’s not proof that they have an icy relationship - it’s you projecting your insecurities onto Adams.
You are out of control today lol. Projecting personal insecurities (I go to therapy proactively because well aware of these things - I promise you I’m not) because I said be weary of a rumor.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I still think it’s a good trade idea - the only people who posted are people who don’t watch the Sabres and people who opinions I don’t ever agree with.
Lol even caps fans told you that you were crazy but I guess you're right in that they probably don't watch the sabres much so...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let's say Skinner is a terrible player/person/example for the young players. He's one guy, that isn't spiraling down a path of substance abuse or physically/sexually assaulting women. He's a far cry from truly terrible examples of human beings that have worn a Sabres sweater in the recent past. If the roster and coaching staff is incapable of forming a disciplined and successful team in the face of Skinner being on the team, I strongly suspect that the team just doesn't have what it takes anyway.

There are two specific players that fit that description:

Lehner with the Alcohol abuse and Kane with the accusation of hitting a woman (though, the charges dropped). There really hasn't been any major office ice character issues since the end of 2018. That's six years ago.

I hate the guy as a player, but he isn't a terrible person aside from on-ice work ethic. While it's a noble thought to ditch that lacking work ethic as an example to others, the late stage of the buyout won't justify the cost of a decent depth player or two for three seasons when they should be contending for a Cup.

If you want Skinner off the team, you have to:

Find a team that would take him at a reduced rate AND he'd accept a trade to. I mean, that is ideal, you are spending 11M and have 13.5 of dead cap over 3 years.

Buyout, cashwise, is only 3.667M more. But its 5.1667 more in space, though spread over 6 years instead lf 3.

We'll see what happens. I don't think the trailing years are as a big of a deal as you are making them. It strings you up a little....but teams deal with rollover bonus penalties every year and do fine.

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There are two specific players that fit that description:

Lehner with the Alcohol abuse and Kane with the accusation of hitting a woman (though, the charges dropped). There really hasn't been any major office ice character issues since the end of 2018. That's six years ago.
ROR and Horton's, and the girl that showed up at the hospital showing signs of rape after being out with Kane but refused a report. Maybe old news maybe not, but looking at those issues and other players around the league that had contracts terminated for good reason. Not what's needed for a buyout, but what Skinner lacks isn't bad enough to warrant a buyout without something extra along those lines.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is mostly short-term logic, and strangely...rationale from Skinner's POV on why it's ok. Who cares what Skinner thinks?

If anything, this is probably chatter to light a fire under his tail and prep him for a change in mind set at camp. I'll believe it when I see it, and still think it's an unnecessary cap hit penalty after he's gone.
Skinner knows his options of teams that can afford a 50% retained $4.5 mill cap hit are limited. Really comes down to what he is willing to sacrifice. Probably around $4 mill of the $7.33 mill left in order to be able to pick a team in the East to play for. With the very high likelihood that it won't all be with 1 team.

Adams won't be around in 4 years if he doesn't have success next season. But, it is always better off as an organization to follow NE Pats BB philosophy of getting rid of a player a year early than a year late, and apply that to GM. No reason to keep a GM to put him on the hotseat for the upcoming year. End up with a seriously bad move, like Van's with OEL and what ended up being Treliving in Cal sending Tkachuck and getting "now" players vs futures. But, they've made up their mind and are running it back with Adams.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

• Pavel Buchnevich, St. Louis Blues
  • Travis Konecny, Philadelphia Flyers
  • Nikolaj Ehlers, Winnipeg Jets
  • Martin Necas, Carolina Hurricanes
  • Andrew Mangiapane, Calgary Flames
  • Kevin Hayes, St. Louis Blues
  • Radek Faksa, Dallas Stars
  • Scott Laughton, Philadelphia Flyers
Favorite realistic targets:

Centers (Trade):
Sturm (1 yr), Faksa (1 yr), Strome (4 yrs), Dowd (1 yr)

Centers (UFA): Henrique, Stenlund

Wingers (Trade): Buchnevich (1 yr), Iafallo (1yr)

Wingers (UFA): Debrusk, Carrier, Trenin, Lomberg, Foegele

Defense (Trade): Jensen (2 yrs), TVR (2 yrs)

Defense (UFA): Demelo

Not included because not realistic: Cirelli, Blueger, Bjugstad, Crouse, Haula, Marino, Kadri, Backlund, Coleman, JEE, Sissons, Matt Roy, et al.
These were the lists.

Here's the structure of the Sabres after a Skinner buyout (lines are just for accounting purposes).

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - xxx - xxx
xxx - Krebs - xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - xxx
Samuelsson - Clifton
Bryson

UPL, Levi

Re-sign:
UPL 4 x $4.5M
Bryson 1 x $1.2M
Krebs 1 x $1.7M

Trades:
Jokiharju's right to Carolina for Kotkaniemi

Free Agents:
Roy 4 x $4M
Brendan Smith 1 x $1M
Stenlund 3 x $3M
Carrier 3 x $2M
DeBrusk 5 x $6M

Opening Night (lines are for accounting purposes):
Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - Kotkaniemi - DeBrusk
Carrier - Krebs - Stenlund
x Rousek

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Roy
Samuelsson - Clifton
x Bryson, Smith

UPL, Levi

It's not sexy but more of a playoff style roster. $1M in cap space left, didn't rush prospects, and only traded one player who probably doesn't fit in anymore.

So it can be done.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
These were the lists.

Here's the structure of the Sabres after a Skinner buyout (lines are just for accounting purposes).

Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - xxx - xxx
xxx - Krebs - xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - xxx
Samuelsson - Clifton
Bryson

UPL, Levi

Re-sign:
UPL 4 x $4.5M
Bryson 1 x $1.2M
Krebs 1 x $1.7M

Trades:

Free Agents:
Roy 4 x $4M
Brendan Smith 1 x $1M
Stenlund 3 x $3M
Carrier 3 x $2M
DeBrusk 5 x $6M

Benson - Cozens - Quinn
x Rousek

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Roy
Samuelsson - Clifton
x Bryson, Smith

UPL, Levi

It's not sexy but more of a playoff style roster. $1M in cap space left, didn't rush prospects, and only traded one player who probably doesn't fit in anymore.

So it can be done.
Lost me at Kotkaniemi and Debrusk's contract.

If we buy out Skinner, we need short contract's to replace him or else all we are doing is exchanging 9mil cap hits for up to 12mil in 2 years

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
These were the lists.

Benson - Cozens - Quinn
Greenway - xxx - xxx
xxx - Krebs - xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - xxx
Samuelsson - Clifton
Bryson

UPL, Levi

Re-sign:
UPL 4 x $4.5M
Bryson 1 x $1.2M
Krebs 1 x $1.7M

Trades:

Free Agents:
Roy 4 x $4M
Brendan Smith 1 x $1M
Stenlund 3 x $3M
Carrier 3 x $2M
DeBrusk 5 x $6M

Benson - Cozens - Quinn
x Rousek

Power - Dahlin
Byrum - Roy
Samuelsson - Clifton
x Bryson, Smith

UPL, Levi

So it can be done.
Soooooo far off on that Roy contract. He's probably getting closer to 7. Carrier probably gets more too.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If i was a gambling man, if we buyout Skinner we probably take on Patrick Kane for 2 years and then bank on a ELC replacement the 'bad' year of Skinners deal.

A quick and dirty version:

Peterka-Thompson-Kane
Benson-Cozens-Tuch
XXXX-XXXXX-Quinn
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX

I kinda like the top 6?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If i was a gambling man, if we buyout Skinner we probably take on Patrick Kane for 2 years and then bank on a ELC replacement the 'bad' year of Skinners deal.

Peterka-Thompson-Kane
Benson-Cozens-Tuch
XXXX-XXXXX-Quinn
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX

I kinda like the top 6?
I think Quinn should be in the top 6, maybe Benson could be a driver on the third line (for now). Quinn seemed to play well on LW as well.

Quinn - Cozens - Kane

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think Quinn should be in the top 6, maybe Benson could be a driver on the third line (for now). Quinn seemed to play well on LW as well.

Quinn - Cozens - Kane

Ruff has talked pretty heavily as using Cozens as the two way center, so my guess is he's going to be with more defensive minded wingers.

Reactions: Sabreality

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ruff has talked pretty heavily as using Cozens as the two way center, so my guess is he's going to be with more defensive minded wingers.
Probably yes, well we could try different lines, the main thing is adding quality players and four good lines.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Peterka-Thompson-Kane
Benson-Cozens-Tuch
XXXX-XXXXX-Quinn
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX

I kinda like the top 6?

That top line is going to get its face beat in.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I’d still guess that with P. KANE replacing Skinner

Benson - Cozens - Quinn
XXX - XXX - Kane
Greenway - Krebs - XXX

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The most shocking thing about a buyout would this would actually mean the ownership buy in is back. At least I'm assuming they wouldn't be spending this to be 7M under the cap against next year.
Would it?

Without a buyout Skinner has 22 million dollars in cash coming his way. He would only get two thirds of it instead. And the “punishment” is cap space…meaning money they literally aren’t allowed to spend. Looks to me like the choice is give Skinner a ten million dollar check this year alone or just over 14 for the whole contract…and save over 7 million in real dollars forever. And, again, the result is at least 2.5 million dollars the club isn’t allowed to spend for the next six years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad