The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe Jeanot? And another banger for center
Listening to Baker and Fairburn yesterday, they mentioned a lot of different names and I agree with almost all of them. Baker said he liked Dakota Joshua but they'd get banked in the offseason, Adams could find the next Joshua instead.

There were options Lomberg, Amadio, Sherwood, Trenin, Noesen, maybe some others, I forgot. They talked about Blueger, Baker said he could be a 3C, but in the end they both agreed he was a great addition to the 4C role.

Well, this issue was entirely dedicated to UFA. Their next issue is about trade, including for 3C.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Listening to Baker and Fairburn yesterday, they mentioned a lot of different names and I agree with almost all of them. Baker said he liked Dakota Joshua but they'd get banked in the offseason, Adams could find the next Joshua instead.

There were options Lomberg, Amadio, Sherwood, Trenin, Noesen, maybe some others, I forgot. They talked about Blueger, Baker said he could be a 3C, but in the end they both agreed he was a great addition to the 4C role.

Well, this issue was entirely dedicated to UFA. Their next issue is about trade, including for 3C.
What about kotka on a buy low? His contract is expensive and Carolina needs to free up space maybe we can get them to retain about a mil he is plus on the faceoffs maybe a better option is out there like a good 2c that would be a great 3c maybe lindholm in FA? But if we are spending assets on a 3c like say 11 and a prospect I want one that's great defensively and can win faceoffs while chipping in 40-50 points

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
1. Skinner to Chicago….from Buffalo #11 & retain $3mil. Chicago sends back #18. 3 x $6 mil is a fair deal Skinner would get in FA.

2. # 18 to Florida for Sam Bennet. Probably gonna take an additional piece from Buffalo, and not named Kulich, Savoie, etc.

3. Krebs to Win for Iaffalo. Add if necessary.

4. Sign 2 legitimate 4th liners and depth defenseman.

Peterka - Tage - Tuch
Iaffalo - Cozens- Quinn
Greenway - Bennett - Benson
4 th line

If can’t get Bennett from Florida…

KK from Carolina is supposed to be a cap dump….substitute KK, which will allow us to keep 18.

In addition to KK, send #2 to San Jose for Strum.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

There is a 0.0000000000000001% something like this could happen.

But, it is always a fun exercise.

I appreciate the effort the XB guys make to create Sabres related content. I typically do listen to most of their podcasts. I wish they would "make the sausage" off-air and then discuss what they created. Them going back and forth and hemming and hawing over mock-trade proposals isn't all that entertaining. In my view it would be better if they did that before the podcast and then spent the podcast discussing the team created, how they got there, what the logic is, etc.

I had this episode on while I was doing yard-work. I have to say that it pretty much just became background noise after the first trade proposal, which was, with no logic provided and no apparent accounting for NMCs and NTCs, Montreal's GM calling Adams to offer Josh Anderson straight up for Jeff Skinner. I can go to capfriendly (for the next 2 weeks) and read about fantasy off-seasons if I want to. From two quasi-journalists whose expertise lie in analytics, I was hoping for something at least within the realm of realistic.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What about kotka on a buy low? His contract is expensive and Carolina needs to free up space maybe we can get them to retain about a mil he is plus on the faceoffs maybe a better option is out there like a good 2c that would be a great 3c maybe lindholm in FA? But if we are spending assets on a 3c like say 11 and a prospect I want one that's great defensively and can win faceoffs while chipping in 40-50 points
Well, I've already suggested KK here before, he probably won't be worth anything because of the contract.I think

Lindholm is not our option, he will look for everything together - money, top 6 C role and term. Probably the same Boston could pay him 7-8 million.

I think there are different options for trade, sometimes everything depends on NMC/NTC or the team simply does not want to trade this player and he is very important to them.
Every time I've seen Sherwood I liked him. But only saw a half dozen times.
Looks interesting, he's very physical (234 hits) and last season he had almost 30 points in 68 games and averaged 12 minutes per game. If I were Adams, I'd try to sign him if it's a reasonable contract.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I appreciate the effort the XB guys make to create Sabres related content. I typically do listen to most of their podcasts. I wish they would "make the sausage" off-air and then discuss what they created. Them going back and forth and hemming and hawing over mock-trade proposals isn't all that entertaining. In my view it would be better if they did that before the podcast and then spent the podcast discussing the team created, how they got there, what the logic is, etc.

I had this episode on while I was doing yard-work. I have to say that it pretty much just became background noise after the first trade proposal, which was, with no logic provided and no apparent accounting for NMCs and NTCs, Montreal's GM calling Adams to offer Josh Anderson straight up for Jeff Skinner. I can go to capfriendly (for the next 2 weeks) and read about fantasy off-seasons if I want to. From two quasi-journalists whose expertise lie in analytics, I was hoping for something at least within the realm of realistic.
I am with you, for the most part. But, we are in the minority as these episodes get the most downloads and interaction of the shows they do every year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think when you combine ability, salary, and who is realistically available as a legit 3C, Jesperi Kotkaniemi is the best target.

He reminds me of where Bennett was in Calgary a few years ago. I think he could be a legit 3C playing a two way game, and if Carolina is looking to off-load him, the price won’t be through the roof.
I've been blabbering about this for a while, he'll be cheap, easy to buyout if it doesn't work out, he had a very solid 22-23 season where he showed he could be good defensively. Last season didn't work out for him for unknown reasons and it seems like the RBA doesn't even need him anymore. I'd kick the tires.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Still looking for thoughts on podkolzin *cough @Chainshot @Fjordy *cough
Judging by stats, the guy clearly needs a change of scenery, it helped Nichushkin, but as we know, it does not help most people. I am not against Podkolzin, if it will cost almost nothing, in the worst case he will go to the KHL or be in the AHL. But if he can show himself in front of Ruff in camp and get a chance, it could work. He is the guy you want to see on your team in the playoffs, a guy who could play in all situations, a good character, no problems off the ice, friendly and adequate. At least he always was like that. I don't know what happened in the last year, maybe ask Canucks fans.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Why is Ehlers in first place? Strome would be interesting, but would Caps even consider trading him? Same with JEE. Buch, Bennett, Cirelli we've all heard this before. I'm curious to see Mangiapane's metrics for the last two seasons, I don't have access to them.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm still trying to sift thru the irony if they were to sign Sam Bennett after trading away Sam Reinhart as there was quite a few who thought Sam Bennett should have went #2.

Good thing we drafted Reinhart tho, better player.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Why is Ehlers in first place? Strome would be interesting, but would Caps even consider trading him? Same with JEE. Buch, Bennett, Cirelli we've all heard this before. I'm curious to see Mangiapane's metrics for the last two seasons, I don't have access to them.

I think it's in no particular order

Reactions: Fjordy

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I agree. These teams have little incentive to trade those players...especially the Cs that Buffalo really needs. It would take a ridiculous overpayment to acquire a C that makes a difference. Wingers? I don't even see the point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still looking for thoughts on podkolzin *cough @Chainshot @Fjordy *cough

Has he become available? Like the player, he's a physical dude who plays to that style.

Wondering what people think about Mangiapane too. He seems the most overpaid compared to the others but maybe that’s a reason buffalo can land him.

My voice to text would love Mangy Old Pony.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree. These teams have little incentive to trade those players...especially the Cs that Buffalo really needs. It would take a ridiculous overpayment to acquire a C that makes a difference. Wingers? I don't even see the point.
Well, I don't know how Adams and Lindy see the team. I mean, Adams himself said after the deadline that he wanted to add a top-6 forward. Then Friedman and Marek recently mentioned it. There was a rumor recently that Sabres were showing some interest in Mangiapane. There's some smoke there. Even Baker and Fairburn added Kane and DeBrusk to their mock UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad