The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Joshua gonna get more than 3 mil per

I'd guess something 4+ and max term to sign here
You right but would be a good team if we got something like these players.

I think the sabres only are like 2 players from contending just not making the playoffs. Just need to go for it and be close to the cap without doing Skinner contracts

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
You right but would be a good team if we got something like these players.

I think the sabres only are like 2 players from contending just not making the playoffs. Just need to go for it and be close to the cap without doing Skinner contracts
if either the third or fourth line can give this team a hard 14minutes on any given night, i like the idea of our top 6 bouncing back in front of UPL

theyre still gonna be young af, but i like having a real NHL coach managing this thing

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Joshua is gonna get a Marchment contract.

Which I have no problem with. I liked that contract for Dallas when he signed it. I would have no problem paying Joshua that.
He's gonna get much more than just 4 years. Vancouver would likely give him the Nick Paul 3.5M for 7 years. Would probably have to give Joshua 4.5M for 7 years for him to come here.

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
After playing around with Capfriendly’s armchair GM all week, I think Adams top priority should be moving Skinner via trade. If he can pull that off, even if he retains 50% salary, it opens up so many more options for him to add to the Sabres.

I'd be very curious to see if there are legit trade interest at that price. I'm curious if he'd be willing to waive his NMC.

It's an interesting thought. I posted a thread on the trade boards about it. Curious to see how other fanbases react.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Don't save a spot in the lineup for any of the prospects. If you don't fill with vets, where is your depth coming from if you have injuries?

Make them force your hand if they play so well that you have to make a move to get them on the team.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
During draft time thru july 7th or so.

On winger---

Skinner aside, they dont need a winger in top 9.

They have benson, tuch, greenway, peterka, Quinn, kids ( Rosen, Kulich, savoie, other). Thr kids could move greenway to 4th line.

They could resign Gitgs, and there I'd Rousek

Three things are

1 a bottom 6 center

You can't simply find an in line replacement for Mittelstadt in the top 9 and call it a day. Drop Greenway to the 4th line if you have to. Need to add a top 6 F and a 3C, at a minimum.

If they trade Krebs it could mean 2 C.

2 depth Dman. RyJohnson in top 6 on team or in rochester
-' could be bryson as 7th D.
Then LD are samurlson,Byram, power. Dahln, xxx, Clifton

Do they acquire a RD cheaper than what Joker gets In arb

I doubt they qualify Bryson at 1.9M.

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton
Johnson

My one thought is they may move Joker and bring in a UFA to change the dynamic of the top 4

3. Trading Joker, krebs?

Are they traded for picks/prospects or depth players.

Buying out Skinner this year does not create space for anything beyond 24/25. Thst extra space thr last 2 years goes toward resigning players. Any space for 24/25 would be in the 1 yr rental signing or trade.

Still a better option than keeping him.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Of all the players who it seems like slacked last summer and sleepwalked through the first few months of last season, no one is more glaring for me than Alex Tuch. Probably no hockey player who my opinion of has decreased more in the last 12 months. Hopefully he decides to do something different this offseason.
Not to defend Tuch too much, as I agree he has been a major disappointment, but... wasn't he injured last summer during his offseason training? An LBI which saw him miss time at training camp and pre-season games, and which hindered his foot speed for months into the regular season?

And then he got a UBI in November which saw him miss a handful of games. And then an LBI in Feb which saw him miss a couple of weeks.

All this to say. We know the guy has struggled to stay healthy throughout his career. Not surprising to see such a down year in his production when he had 3 injuries which caused him to miss time.

A perfectly healthy Tuch like we saw in 2022-23 is likely going to be the exception and we should be prepared to expect an oft injured and less productive Tuch like we saw in 2023-24 more often than not going forward.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sens fan. Would buffalo swap picks for one of your young goalies?

#7 for #11 + UPL/Levi?
No. We move up four spots and give up a blue-chip goalie. Throw in Brady Tkachuk if we wanna talk wild scenarios. You can have UPL straight up for him and no swap of picks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You can't simply find an in line replacement for Mittelstadt in the top 9 and call it a day. Drop Greenway to the 4th line if you have to. Need to add a top 6 F and a 3C, at a minimum.

I doubt they qualify Bryson at 1.9M.

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton
Johnson

My one thought is they may move Joker and bring in a UFA to change the dynamic of the top 4

Still a better option than keeping him.
We dont need as top 6F and we wont have the cap space for both.

Adams wasnt going to spend 6M+ for a 3C

Bryson isnt getting QO and exposed to arbitration but can get resigned.

They need to be careful with cap space usage in defense

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gonna be at least one of Cirelli or Jeannot

Seems like Jeannot is the easier move since it hasn't worked there thus far in Tampa vs. how it worked for him in Nashville. I do wonder if how the Preds always have that identity line and Tampa has grit but not that specific line has made a difference for his game.

Considering how he can throw hands and hit, there are going to be GM's interested. Since Buffalo doesn't seem to have either, I'm hoping they're looking there.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Seems like Jeannot is the easier move since it hasn't worked there thus far in Tampa vs. how it worked for him in Nashville. I do wonder if how the Preds always have that identity line and Tampa has grit but not that specific line has made a difference for his game.

Considering how he can throw hands and hit, there are going to be GM's interested. Since Buffalo doesn't seem to have either, I'm hoping they're looking there.

Yep. Don't think it will be easy tho. Can't imagine TB wants to deal him in division

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yep. Don't think it will be easy tho. Can't imagine TB wants to deal him in division

Yeah, he seems like a guy who would be inspired to inflict on his former team. Marek went on with an idea about the Flames being a fit based on nothing but how it feels to him.

That said, I don't think BriseBois is held in check by convention - he has made moves in the division, has moved on from guys, etc... without the hand wringing of old hockey minds.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
32 Thoughts - Jeannot could be on the move, teams value him, Tampa needs space and may consider it.
You don't need to be an insider to figure out that they need to jettison him for cap space. Friedmann probably just looked at capfriendly.

Why not both? Add in Trenin to center them. Tell them not to worry about the puck for the first 10 minutes of every game.
Trenin was getting time at center in Colordo but he hadn't really ever before in the NHL, and he wasn't particularly good at faceoffs, so I'm wondering what the deal is there. Why didn't Nashville use him at C? If we sign him, should we play it safe and assume he's a winger?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You don't need to be an insider to figure out that they need to jettison him for cap space. Friedmann probably just looked at capfriendly.

True. Also mentioned that teams are interested. It shouldn't be hard to look at that and think they could get something similar for a third of the contract value by getting a guy like AJ Greer or digging out some AHL tweener who they scout out who can skate.

Trenin was getting time at center in Colordo but he hadn't really ever before in the NHL, and he wasn't particularly good at faceoffs, so I'm wondering what the deal is there. Why didn't Nashville use him at C? If we sign him, should we play it safe and assume he's a winger?

Nashville ran out O'Reilly, Scissons, McCarron (all above 50%), Glass (46%) and Novak (only 42% but just 500 total draws) so they had better options.

My position on faceoffs is still the same. They need their top 2 centers to git gud and not worry too much out of someone who is going to be taking half as many draws as those two guys. And Trenin at 45% (170 draws in 16 games in Colorado, 77 W - 93 L) would be right in the mix of how Buffalo performed (Cozens 45.6% on 1146, Thompson 43.3%! on 859 draws, and Krebs 46.3% on 614 draws). It ain't good but it's what they have done.

Teams good at faceoffs are so because their top centers are good at faceoffs. And until someone can point me at data that it matters at a macro level instead of a micro level, it isn't a game breaker for me to have someone in the mid-40's career. It's having the "Number One Center" be so absolute dogshit at it that is hurting them most.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
True. Also mentioned that teams are interested. It shouldn't be hard to look at that and think they could get something similar for a third of the contract value by getting a guy like AJ Greer or digging out some AHL tweener who they scout out who can skate.

Nashville ran out O'Reilly, Scissons, McCarron (all above 50%), Glass (46%) and Novak (only 42% but just 500 total draws) so they had better options.

My position on faceoffs is still the same. They need their top 2 centers to git gud and not worry too much out of someone who is going to be taking half as many draws as those two guys. And Trenin at 45% (170 draws in 16 games in Colorado, 77 W - 93 L) would be right in the mix of how Buffalo performed (Cozens 45.6% on 1146, Thompson 43.3%! on 859 draws, and Krebs 46.3% on 614 draws). It ain't good but it's what they have done.

Teams good at faceoffs are so because their top centers are good at faceoffs. And until someone can point me at data that it matters at a macro level instead of a micro level, it isn't a game breaker for me to have someone in the mid-40's career. It's having the "Number One Center" be so absolute dogshit at it that is hurting them most.
Trenin at C sure would be very cool. Throw Jeannot and Greenway on his wings and you have a real posse on the bottom line. Holy crap.

I thought Jeannot was somewhat invisible much of the time in Tampa but he sure wasn’t bad. Just a bit overpaid. Which Buffalo is going to be doing regardless.

Edit: After the Whistle is suggesting 11OA for TJ…let’s not even entertain that idea folks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel like we (okay... I) should break out a faceoff thread to talk about their deficiencies and how to address it. Tops would also be more contact overall because I will make a generalization that teams that play a limp style get out hustled on loose pucks so they get fewer winger wins on tied draws. And Buffalo has been very much a non-confrontational team physically under Granato. They might be able to push their team percentages a smidge by having more winger involvement.

I have nothing to back this up but years of anecdotal observation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trenin at C sure would be very cool. Throw Jeannot and Greenway on his wings and you have a real posse on the bottom line. Holy crap.

I thought Jeannot was somewhat invisible much of the time in Tampa but he sure wasn’t bad. Just a bit overpaid. Which Buffalo is going to be doing regardless.

I wonder if the Lightning thought they were getting a 3rd liner and discovered he was a 4th liner. His shooting percentage took a hit, pun tangentially intended, and I would love to map the differences if any about where he was shooting from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad