The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I'm looking at the marginal or depth acquisitions that repeatedly flop vs. the coaching issues. Erik Johnson, Anders Bjork, Will Butcher, Eric Staal, Cody Eakin, Tobias Reader, Taylor Hall, Marcus Johansson, season 2 of Tyson Jost... Berglund, Sobotka, Wilson, Hunwick. Beyond the use stuff by the coaching, the fringe and support folks they bring in are regularly big misses.
well if every player takes a dip in performance under our coaches wouldnt it make sense that depth players taking a dip in performance wouldnt be nhl caliber anymore?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Fair enough. I havent followed their development that closely so wasnt sure if one had become expendable since both are promising.

Well we would be up shit creek without UPL ... Levi isn't ready but is too promising to give up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
well if every player takes a dip in performance under our coaches wouldnt it make sense that depth players taking a dip in performance wouldnt be nhl caliber anymore?

Not every player took a dip but they did go out and acquire a bunch of guys who public models pointed out were absolute turds and they were absolute turds in Buffalo.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know that it has to be any more complicated than we needed a top 4 D for three years and his answers were trade for Stillman, sign Clifton and sign Johnson. Those aren’t attempts to address the issue. Those are jokes.

Now he got Byram. And the wait to get a quality center begins.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Not every player took a dip but they did go out and acquire a bunch of guys who public models pointed out were absolute turds and they were absolute turds in Buffalo.
well I have minimal love for public models, but the point has merit

which is also why i hate public models because what am i supposed to say in response? your numbers are shitty and then post a dissertation on statistical analysis to back up my point? shrug they werent good here but neither was almost anyone else and it would be foolish to argue that it was because they were all actually good signings playing for bad coaches

but who exactly was going to not suck under krueger, rolston, and nolan? and then you have OK publicly saying well we realized we sucked early and basically admitting it was a monumental task to get up for games after that, ror going into depression because things were run so badly, and mitts coming out to compare how weak sabres practices were

basically my point is you arent getting any real data out of the last decade because the sabres were run like a u16 team

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Nylander finished the season in Columbus with 11 goals in his 23 games played there.
Im aware but 23 games isn't a ringing endorsement for being NHL stable in my eyes nor a ringing endorsement for being more valuable than Jokiharju as he's been a full time NHL player for many seasons now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Im aware but 23 games isn't a ringing endorsement for being NHL stable in my eyes nor a ringing endorsement for being more valuable than Jokiharju as he's been a full time NHL player for many seasons now.

It appears he has at least flirted with full-time NHL duty for the first time in years, even if it is just C'bus. He was a dud as a pick, just maybe he's figured it out enough to get some time in the show now rather than just going through the motions in the AHL again.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
It appears he has at least flirted with full-time NHL duty for the first time in years, even if it is just C'bus. He was a dud as a pick, just maybe he's figured it out enough to get some time in the show now rather than just going through the motions in the AHL again.
Could be a good pickup for Columbus if he does become a full-time NHL player putting up 45-50 points a season, the only losers would be the Blackhawks as they lost out on Jokiharju and potentially lost out on Nylander.

I don't see Nylander being a loss for the Sabres as Jokiharju has been serviceable for us moreso than Nylander would have been if we still had him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So you're saying there is risk in Hockey team building? Would you like a list of failures of players that were acquired for a 1st round pick?

Any way you slice it a 11th OA for Cirelli is a bad idea if it is Cirelli alone... that is my stance.
You seem fixated on offensive skill and offensive production.

That is not what the Sabres have been missing over the past few seasons. Using 11OV, or any of the "high skill" forward prospects, to add a quality veteran that has Stanley Cup rings, and is not well into his 30s, is not a bad idea to me.

And it is a way better idea than using the pick, missing out on deals that make the team more experienced and harder to play against in 2024-25, and leaves the Sabres once again with one of the youngest and least experienced rosters in the NHL.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

That is not what the Sabres have been missing over the past few seasons. Using 11OV, or any of the "high skill" forward prospects, to add a quality veteran that has Stanley Cup rings, and is not well into his 30s, is not a bad idea to me.

And it is a way better idea than using the pick, missing out on deals that make the team more experienced and harder to play against in 2024-25, and leaves the Sabres once again with one of the youngest and least experienced rosters in the NHL.
I'm with you, mostly. But it's too high a pick to trade for somebody who plays in the bottom six. And top six impact players are going to take more than 11OA, if any are available at all.

Honestly, I would love it if they traded down with Chicago. It looks like the Hawks want to trade up. Maybe 11OA for 18OA and Toronto's 2025 1st, or Connor Murphy if you think he fits and is an improvement over Joker. There's a realistic chance that other GMs reach and a good player may fall to 18. Or you have two picks that are each more appropriate in value to trade for a 3C.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I seem fixated on not doing dumb deals.

I'm all for acquiring Cirelli.

I've probably been the loudest proponent on trading the pick going back to last season.

It's just bad value.. like outside of an overpayment

Don’t close the door about being up shit creek even WITH UPL. His consistency is still a question mark.
100% correct

Don’t close the door about being up shit creek even WITH UPL. His consistency is still a question mark.
100% correct

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After playing around with Capfriendly’s armchair GM all week, I think Adams top priority should be moving Skinner via trade. If he can pull that off, even if he retains 50% salary, it opens up so many more options for him to add to the Sabres.

I'd be very curious to see if there are legit trade interest at that price. I'm curious if he'd be willing to waive his NMC.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Like I asked the other day….a 2outta the last 3 years 30 goal scorer for 3 years @ $5 mil isn’t like trying to trade a washed up pos….he’s still producing, albeit just way overpaid. @ $5 mil….not really

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Like I asked the other day….a 2outta the last 3 years 30 goal scorer for 3 years @ $5 mil isn’t like trying to trade a washed up pos….he’s still producing, albeit just way overpaid. @ $5 mil….not really
Most coaches don’t want a player who doesn’t listen to them, no matter how many goals he scores when going it alone.

It’s hard for Adams to convince a team to take him when it’ll be an enormous hit to their team accountability and team cohesion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad