The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
No it's not. Power is and will always be allergic to contact. He has not one elite trait other than height. Byram was determined to be expendable by not being more valuable than Toews or Girard or the other comparably aged prospects in their system. Pick one. And get RHD. Use the other to mask the massive f#$king blunder they made in trading CM.

Toews is 30 and Girard is 25. They also have Makar and were desperate for a 2nd line center.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Again - Power is 21 and Byram is 22. This is 21 year old Dahlin all over again.
Oh, I am not writing off either player as finished products. I am always preaching to give the young players time and curb expectations as they are developing. My issue is strictly with the D makeup not being ideal with both Power and Byram learning how to play D. You can have one guy like that, but having two guys like that means you have a defensive liability on the ice nearly 2/3rds of every game.

I also feel that both players need that second unit PP time to build up confidence and properly develop. Sure, they can go back to a two defeneman PP and have Byram and Dahlin play catch and use their creativity, maybe that works, but that is getting away from utilizing the popular bumper movement which has the best teams really pushing the envelop of hard to defend powerplays.

This team needs players that are best in slot for certain roles more than they need players with the most talent potential. Sometimes, chemistry, fit, and having guys knowing their roles and doing their jobs is more important than having the most talent.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No it's not. Power is and will always be allergic to contact. He has not one elite trait other than height. Byram was determined to be expendable by not being more valuable than Toews or Girard or the other comparably aged prospects in their system. Pick one. And get RHD. Use the other to mask the massive f#$king blunder they made in trading CM.

What’s the limitation of your crystal ball? Does it only apply towards Sabres players? Can I ask you what the lotto numbers will be the winning ones June 14th without f***ing up the future too much?

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
3 trades i want : trade whatever you need: Konencny and hataway from flyers ? Cirelli from tampa ? Sturm san José ?

Gone Skinner , Olofsson jost robinson krebs.

Peterka Thompson Konecny
Benson Cozens Quinn
Greenway Cirelli Tuch
Girgensons Sturm Hathaway

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram Power
Veteran Clifton

Upl
Veteran

Gone bryson and joki

jamienwalker

Jul 30, 2022
Byram is exactly what we need, hopefully he stays healthy, and Power should have been bridged but (Dahlin cost 6 in his) three years later, with the cap going up, it isn't so bad. Power is going to be (as Pierre McGuire would say) a Monster, and this group is around the same age. (young) I'd sign Domi, and a big tough as nails (Don Cherry) RW.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Power has elite vision & will be great offensively. You don't need every D man to be physical. He's fine.

That's just wrong. Byram was more valuable than Girard. Girard is just much tougher to move with his 5M long term deal.

I forgot though. Guys peak at 21/22 years old according to this place.

When you're used to Tyson Jost and Peyton Krebs ..
Those guys won't be making 5M

Last edited:
Reactions: Willgamesh

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Oh, I am not writing off either player as finished products. I am always preaching to give the young players time and curb expectations as they are developing. My issue is strictly with the D makeup not being ideal with both Power and Byram learning how to play D. You can have one guy like that, but having two guys like that means you have a defensive liability on the ice nearly 2/3rds of every game.

I also feel that both players need that second unit PP time to build up confidence and properly develop. Sure, they can go back to a two defeneman PP and have Byram and Dahlin play catch and use their creativity, maybe that works, but that is getting away from utilizing the popular bumper movement which has the best teams really pushing the envelop of hard to defend powerplays.

This team needs players that are best in slot for certain roles more than they need players with the most talent potential. Sometimes, chemistry, fit, and having guys knowing their roles and doing their jobs is more important than having the most talent.
Byram isn't learning how to play D. He was one of the best guys on a cup run. I clearly remember people on here saying they wish we had a guy like that to put with Dahlin. Now he has a down year & he's some defensive liability learning how to play hockey. Young guys have down years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In my opinion... the Byram trade is amazing. It gives us three #1 defenseman, along with Sammy, Johnson, and Clifton. that's pretty impressive to me, especially with where we were 3 years ago. We no longer have to play our top defenseman into the ground/injury for 30 minutes/game.

Well, 3 guys with the talent to potentially someday play at that level, maybe. Still only 1 that actually for sure *does*.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I’m sorry man but you have no idea what you’re watching if you think this. Power’s offensive hockey IQ to stretch plays and continue pressure by putting pucks in soft areas is insane.

Hedman was exactly the same at the same age. Tampa fans wanted to trade him too. Just. Relax. He will be fine.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Byram isn't learning how to play D. He was one of the best guys on a cup run. I clearly remember people on here saying they wish we had a guy like that to put with Dahlin. Now he has a down year & he's some defensive liability learning how to play hockey. Young guys have down years.
He was one of their better transition defenseman during the cup run. He wasn’t exactly a great player at defense at the time, and he shouldn’t have been expected to be. But then he has regressed offensively, and his defensive game still has the same issues he’s always had with it, and he was traded to an organization that is terrible at defense. Not exactly a great fit.

What fans have been asking for is a calming defensively competent partner for Dahlin. It’s what we also need for Power as well. Adams added a luxury player when we had holes of the opposite type of defenseman.

The good news is that he’s soon to be 23 so he has time to still develop something. The question is if he has the ability to learn the defensive aspect of his game to a level that the Sabres can benefit from. If you’re saying he’s not learning to play D, then he needs to be gone if that’s the case.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m sorry man but you have no idea what you’re watching if you think this. Power’s offensive hockey IQ to stretch plays and continue pressure by putting pucks in soft areas is insane.

Hedman was exactly the same at the same age. Tampa fans wanted to trade him too. Just. Relax. He will be fine.
Power is more like Risto (without the physical play) or Hanifin, than Hedman. Fans need to really stop acting like Power had Hedman’s potential. Hedman’s IQ of the play away from the puck and in the defensive zone was levels above what Power has, or has shown.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Again - Power is 21 and Byram is 22. This is 21 year old Dahlin all over again.
And we still get way too many brain fart moments from Dahlin that he showed from the moment he stepped in the league.

Let's not act like this organization developed fully and got the most out of Dahlin. We couldn’t, because this organization failed many times to structure this roster to allow that to happen, and based their own words, they didn’t have the accountability for that sort of process.

But I’m sure things will be different with players of lesser potential and skillsets as we continue to have no changes done so far in how we structure the team, the makeup of the team, and remains to be seen of any accountability.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
And we still get way too many brain fart moments from Dahlin that he showed from the moment he stepped in the league.

Let's not act like this organization developed fully and got the most out of Dahlin. We couldn’t, because this organization failed many times to structure this roster to allow that to happen, and based their own words, they didn’t have the accountability for that sort of process.

But I’m sure things will be different with players of lesser potential and skillsets as we continue to have no changes done so far in how we structure the team, the makeup of the team, and remains to be seen of any accountability.
Having a stretch of some of the worst Hockey coaches of all time surely had nothing to do with our Defense development. We should trade all of our good players and watch them thrive like Reinhart elsewhere you're right.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I've always comp'd Power to Bouwmeester. I believe @Zman5778 was the first to post it, but it's something I've thought about since I first started watching him.

Until I see him develop other parts of his game, in my mind he'll be a solid but unspectacular top 4 dman whose contract we'll probably always leave people wanting more.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Power is more like Risto (without the physical play) or Hanifin, than Hedman. Fans need to really stop acting like Power had Hedman’s potential. Hedman’s IQ of the play away from the puck and in the defensive zone was levels above what Power has, or has shown.
If you’re serious with this post I’m not even going to dignify it with a thought out response. You memory is also extremely off if you think Hedman has always played as physically as he does now.

He didn’t. He wasn’t when he was a prospect either. But if that helps you get to your shitty Risto comparison, sure go for it.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

We did just change coaches. That's the opposite of no changes. Ruff will be Power's second NHL coach and Ruff was brought in specifically for structure and accountability.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I used to hear stories about how fans hated Housley because he wasn’t physical and they’d ignore his hall of fame level talents to yell “hit ‘em with your purse, Phyllis!” and I always thought it had to be overblown or a joke on some level.

Reading this thread and seeing how many people don’t even know what Power does out there in terms of zone exits and starting offense at a level far above the rest of the roster at 21…because he isn’t physical..I guess there are more After the Whistle believers than I thought.

I’d have hoped going through this exact thing four short years ago with Dahlin would have been enough to get anyone to understand development as a top D at the NHL level.

I gave too much credit

Here’s the good news for the all D must hit crowd…if they trade Power team hits will go way way up. Because they’ll never get the f***ing puck out

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I used to hear stories about how fans hated Housley because he wasn’t physical and they’d ignore his hall of fame level talents to yell “hit ‘em with your purse, Phyllis!” and I always thought it had to be overblown or a joke on some level.

Reading this thread and seeing how many people don’t even know what Power does out there in terms of zone exits and starting offense at a level far above the rest of the roster at 21…because he isn’t physical..I guess there are more After the Whistle believers than I thought.

I’d have hoped going through this exact thing four short years ago with Dahlin would have been enough to get anyone to understand development as a top D at the NHL level.

I gave too much credit

Here’s the good news for the all D must hit crowd…if they trade Power team hits will go way way up. Because they’ll never get the f***ing puck out

Great points. They said a lot of the same things about Bill Hajt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad