The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
3rd line won't be snipes but they'll get their banger goals and wear down goals
Krebs would do a lot for his value to this team (or any team) if he focused on reinventing his shot. If he could become a more dangerous shooter, that would enhance his game. I don't understand how players that make the NHL don't have a pro shot.

Reactions: Irie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There would be many teams that would take Trouba at 50% without needing a pick. A player of Trouba's pedigree, RHD, at 4 mil a year? Half the league would take him.
But that didn't make sense for many teams, since Trouba wouldn't travel far from New York because of his wife's work.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This. We dont have any good playmakers in the top6.
giphy.gif

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
But that didn't make sense for many teams, since Trouba wouldn't travel far from New York because of his wife's work.
Yes I understand that, but I was commenting on someone saying nyr would need to package a pick WITH trouba at 50% just to move him. That's simply not true. If trouba agreed to be traded the Rangers would not need to add anything to him at 50% to move him.

Reactions: Jacob582

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I suppose being able to move on from Clifton and joker would make more sense from a cap perspective but again, a lot of gymnastics to bring in a dirty player that's on the downswing and may not want to be here.
I assume the entire point of it would be to add that genuine nastiness / dirtyness. We haven't had it for so long.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes I understand that, but I was commenting on someone saying nyr would need to package a pick WITH trouba at 50% just to move him. That's simply not true. If trouba agreed to be traded the Rangers would not need to add anything to him at 50% to move him.
Here I agree, Trouba for 4 million a year looks not bad.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres are not trading for Jacob Trouba.
Quiet Wildling......
I suspect they'll get better over time as they know viewership is going to increase dramatically.

What was the site before CapFriendly? I can't remember the name, just that the owner passed away. If I remember correctly, CapFriendly wasn't all that great, but they were the only site even close.
Trouba for Joker half retention would not be the worst transaction this offseason.
I can't think of a lot worse trades. You're a Sabres fan.
I doubt the rangers want to do more than 25% retention. The issue is cap hit next year, not this year.
I think a deal probably looks like:

To NYR: Joker + pick
To Buffalo: Trouba (25% retained),

Buffalo adds a true #4 at premium cost for 2 years. I think he probably pairs well with Power or Bryam. Samuelsson/Trouba has potential as well

All that being said....I doubt we see it. Rangers will probably keep him and simply buy him out next year to make room for their contracts. It's the easiest painless way, and you don't have to worry about moving the contract/retention.
If you flip it, with Jokiharju going to the Rangers for Trouba with retained salary, and a pick, I'd be down.

They both suck defensively but at least Trouba is physical and has leadership skills.

Reactions: joshjull and Fjordy

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
You would think, but then they go to Sweden for the first 2 regular season games - so they will being 3 goalies. If they have no roster pressure to send one down on paper, then the door is open. We've been here so many times with this GM.
Are they allowing an extra roster spot for the trip? It would make sense which is what makes me skeptical

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Krebs would do a lot for his value to this team (or any team) if he focused on reinventing his shot. If he could become a more dangerous shooter, that would enhance his game. I don't understand how players that make the NHL don't have a pro shot.
Not every player is a complete player.

All krebs had to do to have a spot on this roster is hustle for 50 secs and get off the ice. His game is so deficient that he couldn’t play 10 years and make a lot of money playing simple, consistent hockey like the asshole he was 2 seasons ago.

If he try’s to Tyler pyatt this thing he’s gonna have a short career playing for teams named after radio stations.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

I was particularly meaning for us, if we are the only team he could go to, in theory, we could force Drury to give us more for doing them a favor.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I think what the Sabres need is a top 6 from the oilers. Skinner is his name

And a top 4 defenceman with some grit. Risto.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why is Buffalo adding a pick? FFS.

Trouba isn't worth even that. He'd be packaged with a pick at 50% retention before anyone would touch him.

I see Trouba as still a top 4 RH D that fits what we need (a complimentary guy who can allow one of Byram/Power to move the puck up the ice and join the offense). He's a clear upgrade on Jokijarhu/Clifton,who are both bottom pair RHD, at least IMHO. The only issue is that next year our defense would be prohibitively expensive with Byram needing a new contract as well. Clifton would probably have to be traded or bought out in his final year.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Are they allowing an extra roster spot for the trip? It would make sense which is what makes me skeptical
I'm not sure, but no way they head to Europe with just 2 goalies.

Not every player is a complete player.

All krebs had to do to have a spot on this roster is hustle for 50 secs and get off the ice. His game is so deficient that he couldn’t play 10 years and make a lot of money playing simple, consistent hockey like the asshole he was 2 seasons ago.

If he try’s to Tyler pyatt this thing he’s gonna have a short career playing for teams named after radio stations.
Krebs is dangerously close to a waiver. He should be fighting for his life to stay in the NHL. I do not think this organization was good for his development, but when I see that weak-ass shot when he gets an opportunity, I'm like "really?"

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I see Trouba as still a top 4 RH D that fits what we need (a complimentary guy who can allow one of Byram/Power to move the puck up the ice and join the offense). He's a clear upgrade on Jokijarhu/Clifton,who are both bottom pair RHD, at least IMHO. The only issue is that next year our defense would be prohibitively expensive with Byram needing a new contract as well. Clifton would probably have to be traded or bought out in his final year.
He's trending towards a bottom pair guy TBH. But I'd certainly take him for 2x4m in the scenario i posted above, which would potentially allow us to move on from both Clifton/Joker. Could have him with Johnson for a more balanced pair or with Gilbert if you wanted to go full thug.
for some reason I'm thinking it was just called NHLNumbers, or something, but I think it came before capgeek. Had like a black background?
There was definitely one after Capgeek but before CapFriendly. Assuming Capgeek was the one I'm thinking of where the founder eventually got a job in the NHL but unfortunately got cancer & died not long after...

It was short lived - I'm sure somebody here will remember it.

Edit - a Google search tells me it was General Fanager. It was the founder of this one (not Capgeek) who got a job in the NHL, which led to it being very short lived. Glad i am not going crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I just want the “Murray blew it by trying to rush the rebuild” people to have half as much energy for Adams blowing it by failing to build a roster to insulate young players.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
There was definitely one after Capgeek but before CapFriendly. Assuming Capgeek was the one I'm thinking of where the founder eventually got a job in the NHL but unfortunately got cancer & died not long after...

It was short lived - I'm sure somebody here will remember it.
I totally remember capgeek - it was a static site and a passion project for the guy. He kept it up until he died I think.

Someone has to be building a new one - I've even thrown around the idea. I am curious if this data is readily available somewhere as a service and someone just need to build an integration and UI, but I don't think so. I think it requires regular monitoring if the NHL press releases and additional subject matter expertise to chase down elements like ntc/nmc, sliding contracts, and rfa/ufa status. It's a job for someone with a little more time and passion - and there are a lot of manual updates.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@Der Jaeger

Capgeek was the first one - i think that's the one you're thinking of.

I vaguely remember another one in between Capgeek & CapFriendly....
That was it - Capgeek! Good memory
for some reason I'm thinking it was just called NHLNumbers, or something, but I think it came before capgeek. Had like a black background?
I don't remember that one, I picked up on Capgeek though.

Overall, the main site has changed but one site always steps into the void....

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

The theory on Trouba is that he's a 2nd pair RHD that fits what we need.

The fancy stats paint quite a different story.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Trouba isn't worth even that. He'd be packaged with a pick at 50% retention before anyone would touch him.

Exactly.
I see Trouba as still a top 4 RH D that fits what we need (a complimentary guy who can allow one of Byram/Power to move the puck up the ice and join the offense). He's a clear upgrade on Jokijarhu/Clifton,who are both bottom pair RHD, at least IMHO. The only issue is that next year our defense would be prohibitively expensive with Byram needing a new contract as well. Clifton would probably have to be traded or bought out

Trouba is paid more than twice what Clifton is and falls down in a more structured system. This would be doing a massive favor to the Rangers — that does not require Buffalo to kick in more.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The theory on Trouba is that he's a 2nd pair RHD that fits what we need.

The fancy stats paint quite a different story.
The eye test does too. He was not good playing the role he did for NYR during the playoffs.

I'd still take him as a physical bottom pair guy who could fill in further up when injuries occur though. Especially if it means moving on from Joker and/or Clifton. I don't hate Clifton BTW - he's just expensive for a bottom pair guy. So would Trouba be even at $4m - but he has that X factor that I'd pay for. He's only signed for two more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad