The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I think so much of the season comes down to Lindy Ruff. Not only the the system and the structure we hope to be instilled, but what can he do for some of the cornerstone players who have been up and down like Byram, Samuelsson, Cozens, etc.

Is he still the sharp, progressive, fiery coach he was 20 years ago? Can he actually get this team to improve to the point where they are a quality, respected team again - or are we going to continue to ping-pong between average and below-average as the season goes on?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

What a total lack of surprise

Yeah it's pretty crazy, they're terrible together. But Dahlin is at his best with Jokiharju probably because he's better on his natural side.

Dahlin-Jokiharju is a 55% xG 1st line defense.
Samuelsson-Dahlin is 50% xG
Power-Dahlin is 53%
Power-Samuelsson is 58%

Reactions: jc17

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think so much of the season comes down to Lindy Ruff. Not only the the system and the structure we hope to be instilled, but what can he do for some of the cornerstone players who have been up and down like Byram, Samuelsson, Cozens, etc.

Is he still the sharp, progressive, fiery coach he was 20 years ago? Can he actually get this team to improve to the point where they are a quality, respected team again - or are we going to continue to ping-pong between average and below-average as the season goes on?
Up and down is natural with players in the low 20’s.

One thing about Sabres fans during this drought is we’ve been incredibly hard on young players. We’ve put a lot on them and expected them to deliver every game.

We’re still the youngest team in the league, which is incredible to me. We’re expecting playoffs next year. It’s just not realistic. We’ll boo this team if they play bad. Booing the youngest team is crazy.

Reactions: Jacob582

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah it's pretty crazy, they're terrible together. But Dahlin is at his best with Jokiharju probably because he's better on his natural side.

Dahlin-Jokiharju is a 55% xG 1st line defense.
Samuelsson-Dahlin is 50% xG
Power-Dahlin is 53%
Power-Samuelsson is 58%
Smart people should pair them up…

Dahlin - Joki
Power - Samuelsson
Byram - Clifton

If these are the guys we’re going with.

Reactions: jcbeze

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't think I'm ready to move on from Clifton. He played well the 2nd half of last year and think that Lindy can smooth out some of his rough edges. If I had to choose Cliffy at his current deal or Trouba at $4M.........I'm not so sure I take Trouba, especially considering that there's a real possibility that his falling off the cliff has occurred.
I agree. I'm not looking at Clifton thinking he needs to be moved. I'd just see him as redundant in this hypothetical scenario of tracing for Trouba - which has next to no chance of happening.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Up and down is natural with players in the low 20’s.

One thing about Sabres fans during this drought is we’ve been incredibly hard on young players. We’ve put a lot on them and expected them to deliver every game.

We’re still the youngest team in the league, which is incredible to me. We’re expecting playoffs next year. It’s just not realistic. We’ll boo this team if they play bad. Booing the youngest team is crazy.
I agree, mostly.

But at the same time, Dahlin is getting paid $13M next season. I want him to play like it.

Cozens, Thompson and Power are making over $7M. I want them to play like it.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Lindy has already said that he sees Sammy or Power as Dahlin's partner.
I read that on here. Still need to figure out 2nd and 3rd pair. Unless Dahlin and Power are playing 60 minutes.

I agree, mostly.

But at the same time, Dahlin is getting paid $13M next season. I want him to play like it.

Cozens, Thompson and Power are making over $7M. I want them to play like it.
That’s the dilemma we’re in. If we have patience these players will deliver. I don’t think fans want to have patience anymore.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019

I think ruff has more passion then ever before. Glad he is sabres coach . Well liked

Reactions: Dingo44

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
That’s the dilemma we’re in. If we have patience these players will deliver. I don’t think fans want to have patience anymore.
That’s true, but it’s because we shouldn’t have to be patient anymore. The current core is all in their prime at this point, if they’re going to get it done they need to be getting it done. No more mental blocks, no more nights off, no excuses. Work hard and play well. We have the most talented and well-balanced roster we’ve had in a decade right now without any additional changes.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
In fairness Clinton's numbers are skewed from just how horrid his first 3 months were.
Those player cards are based on the previous 3 seasons. So those 3 months were only 12.5% of the sample size.

He's below replacement level with or without those 3 bad months counting against him. And he's still better than Trouba.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Reportedly, he has taken the Hasek path and refused to report to any team he can be traded to. Reportedly that was why the trade with Detroit didn't happen.

No team wants to trade for Trouba only for him to refuse to report.
If this were true Drury would have already traded him and Trouba's new team would have put him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination.

If the player has telegraphed that he'll terminate the contract if he gets traded then it's a 100% free buy out for the rags.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If this were true Drury would have already traded him and Trouba's new team would have put him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination.

If the player has telegraphed that he'll terminate the contract if he gets traded then it's a 100% free buy out for the rags.
Why would another team do that? They would be doing the Rangers a huge solid and tick off the NHLPA.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Mike Augello-The Hockey News/Off the post on wgr this morning:

Philly would be interested in Samuelsson in any deal for Farabee, does not see the Sabres making that deal

Ehlers would still be the best idea for top 6 but price is high

Good chance Levi starts in Roch

copy/paste for paywall please?

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Why would another team do that? They would be doing the Rangers a huge solid and tick off the NHLPA.
Rags can add a cheap sweetener to the deal. Pretty sure most teams would be happy to receive a free asset for this deal. And GMs love helping each other get out of cap hell. We see it every year.

Why would it piss off the NHLPA? The rags are within their rights to trade Trouba to any team not on his NTC. It's Trouba's right to refuse to report to the new team and get his contract terminated.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Just need to look back 2 years, not 20. When he coached the Devils to the 3rd most points in the NHL.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Rags can add a cheap sweetener to the deal. Pretty sure most teams would be happy to receive a free asset for this deal. And GMs love helping each other get out of cap hell. We see it every year.

Why would it piss off the NHLPA? The rags are within their rights to trade Trouba to any team not on his NTC. It's Trouba's right to refuse to report to the new team and get his contract terminated.
I could see a team being interested in doing this. But only if they would get a decent payout from the Rags to do so, not for a just a cheap sweetener. The trade would basically be the Rags paying the other team to take Trouba’s contract off their hands.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I’ve been saying! We’re on the right track but we need some good veteran players.

Do we dump some picks and prospects for short term veterans to make a run?
I’m hoping we add another vet winger to the top 6. But there’s no realistic way to meaningfully change the average age of this team. There are too many players 25 and under. They’d have to trade a good chunk of them for guys in their late 20s/early 30s. Thats not happening, nor should it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad