The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Smart people should pair them up…

Dahlin - Joki
Power - Samuelsson
Byram - Clifton

If these are the guys we’re going with.

Lindy has already said that he sees Sammy or Power as Dahlin's partner.

Yeah I don't get it, either. The above pairings are what have been working best over the last two years.

Dahlin spent most of his time with Jokiharju, but Jokiharju spent slightly more time with Power, and that pairing is just dogshit. Samuelsson-Dahlin also hasn't been great, but I think that could be deployment based; it's hard to parse out.

DJ/PS/BC give a pretty good mix of puck movement and passing on each pairing. The "downside" is that there isn't a stritctly defensive matchup pair. Buffalo doesn't have that sort of personnel so they should play defense via puck control imo.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I’m hoping we add another vet winger to the top 6. But there’s no realistic way to meaningfully change the average age of this team. There are too many players 25 and under. They’d have to trade a good chunk of them for guys in their late 20s/early 30s. Thats not happening, nor should it.
I would love to see average top 6 forwards and average top 4 defense around the league.

Their average age of important players is like 23. Changing out 1-2 would definitely have some impact. Like moving Benson out of the top 6 for a legit top 6 forward is needed. I also believe adding a veteran defender to the top 4 D would be a great move.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah I don't get it, either. The above pairings are what have been working best over the last two years.

Dahlin spent most of his time with Jokiharju, but Jokiharju spent slightly more time with Power, and that pairing is just dogshit. Samuelsson-Dahlin also hasn't been great, but I think that could be deployment based; it's hard to parse out.

DJ/PS/BC give a pretty good mix of puck movement and passing on each pairing. The "downside" is that there isn't a stritctly defensive matchup pair. Buffalo doesn't have that sort of personnel so they should play defense via puck control imo.
For me, Jokiharju is definitely not a top pair guy, specifically his metrics overall have been terrible when he's been given too big of a role. Dahlin can probably play with anyone, but he's had his best season paired with Sammy.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
For me, Jokiharju is definitely not a top pair guy, specifically his metrics overall have been terrible when he's been given too big of a role. Dahlin can probably play with anyone, but he's had his best season paired with Sammy.

Except for the fact that Dahlin's best possession metrics have been with Jokiharju, and that his worst metrics are with Samuelsson I agree with you.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Except for the fact that Dahlin's best possession metrics have been with Jokiharju, and that his worst metrics are with Samuelsson I agree with you.
But that's only last season as far as I understand. My problem with Joki is he's just not good for me. So I'd like to see Kevyn traded for a guy like TVR, for example. He's an experienced, reliable and consistent defender. He'll improve his defense, improve our PK, and he won't cost a ton.

Jokiharju2.jpg
TVR.jpg

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Honestly I like this the best - but do they sit Joki at over $3 mil a year? I still think he needs to be moved.

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Samuelsson
Gilbert - Clifton
Bryson
R.Johnson (in Rochester)

Power - Dahlin will play a TON and so will Byram - Samuelsson so you don't have to rely so much on your third pair. Gilbert - Clifton are both tough and hit a ton and are a great changeup to go get a spark and bang some bodies, and they won't hurt you defensively. I just don't see where Joki fits.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I can see:

Byram Dahlin
Power Samuelsson

Lindy pairing these up for specific situations. as for the standard rolling out lines, probably swap Byam and Samuelsson.

Reactions: Reddawg

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

What a total lack of surprise

Do people ever consider that they were only paired together in certain situations, which may have impacted these numbers?

Once again, you can't just look at GF and GA and draw any real conclusions from it...especially with defensemen. It's simplistic and will lead you to wrong conclusions.

Reactions: Irie

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
After the Whistle is ready to dump Power to make financial room to pay Trouba 8 million dollars.

And they are ready to trade the 2025 1st and prospects to do it

Protect your heads, kids
🤮🤮🤮

I could see Byram and Sammy being a good pairing
You can find two guys that work well together, it's just hard to put the whole puzzle together.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Mike Augello-The Hockey News/Off the post on wgr this morning:

Philly would be interested in Samuelsson in any deal for Farabee, does not see the Sabres making that deal
Uhh where do I sign? Getting out of an awkward 6 year contract for a truly injury-prone player while breaking up the glut of young LHD.

I know the water ski brigade would be unsettled by this move but good. Farabee's underlying numbers are great.
But that's only last season as far as I understand. My problem with Joki is he's just not good for me. So I'd like to see Kevyn traded for a guy like TVR, for example. He's an experienced, reliable and consistent defender. He'll improve his defense, improve our PK, and he won't cost a ton.

View attachment 894405View attachment 894406
Caps fans on the trade board are willing to do some form of Joki for TVR. It's an obvious slam dunk if new Caps GM Chris Patrick feels the same way and Joki isn't part of Adams' future plans.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Uhh where do I sign? Getting out of an awkward 6 year contract for a truly injury-prone player while breaking up the glut of young LHD.

I know the water ski brigade would be unsettled by this move but good. Farabee's underlying numbers are great.

Caps fans on the trade board are willing to do some form of Joki for TVR. It's an obvious slam dunk if new Caps GM Chris Patrick feels the same way and Joki isn't part of Adams' future plans.
Torts doesn't like Farabee and Ruff is going to LOVE Sammy, so I don't see Buffalo doing that. Philly is the team more likely and more incentivized to move the player because of the situation with the coach.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
No, he isn't yet. If he'd been inserted into the mins Joker has played he'd get pummeled. The bias against Joki and for RyJo is too much around here.
If he was better he would have been signed to multiple years. Johnson was our third best D last year and he got sent down for really no reason.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
People can show me joker dahlin possession numbers until the end of time and it won't change that Joker is so lost in his own end that playing top pairing minutes against the best players in the league is a disastrous idea the entire time they don't have the puck. Hey good for him. They have it more often when he's out there than not. It doesn't mean we can ignore how captain skated to the wrong place fairs during the time they don't.

Reactions: Fjordy

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If he was better he would have been signed to multiple years. Johnson was our third best D last year and he got sent down for really no reason.
Isn't he the only one who was waiver exempt? Not condoning sending him down, but if that was the case, there is clearly a real reason why he was the one sent down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He was sent down because he could be without waivers. It's the old school, conservative mentality.

And it's not like he was lights out once he went back to Rochester. The length of the season seemed to wear him out by the end of it with the Amerks.

As for this year, I could see him being the 7 in name - if there is a long-term injury he comes up and plugs into the lineup, but in the meantime, he's in Rochester while Gilbert and/or Bryson are the game day skate guys who rotate in on a shorter term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People can show me joker dahlin possession numbers until the end of time and it won't change that Joker is so lost in his own end that playing top pairing minutes against the best players in the league is a disastrous idea the entire time they don't have the puck. Hey good for him. They have it more often when he's out there than not. It doesn't mean we can ignore how captain skated to the wrong place fairs during the time they don't.

Again, I need to check my coffee because I agree with you. It anchors Dahlin into carrying the defensive load for his pair. And they could do that if they put him with the Clague/Bryson/Gilberts of the world for a lot less money.

I don't see a good defenseman with Jokiharju. His processing is slower than many and his handling in pressure situations is often bobbled. And his positional play... losing himself in space around the crease and slot is infuriating for a guy who is now his age. Goes for the stick when the body is the right play, winds up on the wrong side of his check and doesn't deny hands, and that topper or regularly drifting out too far and leaving his partner handling everything in front.

Bleh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad