The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Without a trade what do we think the 2nd line looks like?

Does Quinn move up and play with Thompson and Tuch or is that JJPs spot based on last year? I think Quinn coming back is going to help a ton. Benson - Cozens - Quinn, and JJP/TT/Tuch would be my lines if the season started tomorrow

I think at the start, Zucker will go with Cozens and Quinn while Benson goes with McLeod and Greenway.

We know that Benson and Greenway kinda work as a pair and McLeod brings speed and defensive awareness that lets Benson break out faster.
Zucker will bring some jam and finishing ability to Cozens and Quinn.

That said, I imagine that Zucker and Benson will rotate in that middle 6 until one line kind of establishes itself.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We know that Benson and Greenway kinda work as a pair and McLeod brings speed and defensive awareness that lets Benson break out faster.
I'm just afraid that this line won't give us much scoring power. McLeod said that scoring goals or points is not his strong point yet. Greenway is obviously not a sniper and hasn't scored much either.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'm just afraid that this line won't give us much scoring power. McLeod said that scoring goals or points is not his strong point yet. Greenway is obviously not a sniper and hasn't scored much either.
Having a 3rd line that doesn't put up a lot of points may be ok if the 3rd and 4th lines are much better defensively than we have typically seen from this team in the recent past.

I am hoping that the team is better all around and that they won't have to put up 4 goals to win regularly.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Having a 3rd line that doesn't put up a lot of points may be ok if the 3rd and 4th lines are much better defensively than we have typically seen from this team in the recent past.

I am hoping that the team is better all around and that they won't have to put up 4 goals to win regularly.
I agree, but I would like the third line to also score points.

Reactions: Irie

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Put me in the group of people who wouldn't hate Trouba at all. He'd have to come with max retention & no acquisition cost outside of sending Joker or possibly Clifton the other way.

I don't want to spend more cap on defense and the forward group could use more firepower so nah
Assuming he's at 50% retention & Joker/Clifton go the other way, the difference in cap is minimal.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Put me in the group of people who wouldn't hate Trouba at all. He'd have to come with max retention & no acquisition cost outside of sending Joker or possibly Clifton the other way.

Assuming he's at 50% retention & Joker/Clifton go the other way, the difference in cap is minimal.
Yeap, no one will take Trouba with 8 million for another two years, so this should definitely be a retention.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeap, no one will take Trouba with 8 million for another two years, so this should definitely be a retention.
Since CapFriendly is now dead i can't check - but aren't NYR pretty desperate for space? From the rumours i heard over the draft/UFA weekend it seems they are doing whatever they can to offload him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Since CapFriendly is now dead i can't check - but aren't NYR pretty desperate for space? From the rumours i heard over the draft/UFA weekend it seems they are doing whatever they can to offload him.
They still have $8 million available and need to re-sign Lindgren and Schneider now. Shesty is also entering the final year of his contract and will likely make $10-12 million next year. They will also need to sign some of their RFAs next year.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I dont think Krebs gets you Foerester but it sounds like Farabee might be available

Maybe Lindy can mold Krebs into something salvageable.

If Buffalo is looking for a speed game Farabee is a very good skater and fast.
I'm not giving up on Krebs yet, though he will get even harder to move if the Sabres upgrade the top 6 and he is pushed to the 14th F. This roster actually can't take on more players without moving someone out, and even then there will be some interesting discussions around here during training camp around whether they keep 3 goals, 14 forwards, or 8 D up. According to my math, there is a group of 5 players that may go to Rochester and only one of them is waiver exempt IF they make a trade.

Levi
Gilbert
Bryson
Reimer
Krebs

From a camp/competition standpoint, there is still a squeaky thin spot for another F to push to make the roster. They aren't signing any more UFA, so I still think they are holding a F spot for a prospect to push their way up.

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see no moves at the G position until after they get back from Europe.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

$8M in cap space for 2024-25 today (and around $56M in cap commitments for 25-26)

Lindgren and Schneider still un-signed as RFAs for 2024-25

RFAs after 2024-25: Kakko, Lafreniere, Edstrom, Cuylie, Rempe, Miller, and Jones

UFAs after 2024-25: Smith, Vesey, Lindgren (potentially), Shesterkin, and Quick

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

That's true if it's what Drury/Adams are willing to do while we send him back an NHL defenseman. Seems like a reach to happen from both sides and really just doesn't feel right.

Idk we've seen Buffalo be a retirement fund for players in the past that just want to collect their paycheck and ride off into the sunset. After all, we're not talking about bringing in a high character player here.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why does he need cap space though? To fix the defense. But now that there are no decent UFAs left, the cap space won't do him much good this offseason. Now he'll need to pivot to a trade.

The defense looked completely unable to move the puck once Fox got hurt and were the clear weakness on the team, so he's right to want to fix the mix they have.

Trouba is their Jeff Skinner. He doesn't fit anywhere and makes way too much. They may be looking for any option besides a buyout at this point, and retention has got to be on the table, just like it probably was with Buffalo and Skinner.
Like the above post lays out, I think getting Trouba's cap hit for 2025-26 completely off the books is the biggest thing he is trying to accomplish.

I am sure he would love to upgrade on Trouba, and Lindgren. But, being able to re-sign Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller are big challenges that getting Trouba off the books for next season is key.

As such, retaining on Trouba, especially 50% is not the most attractive idea to Drury, most likely.

Jokiharju for Trouba straight up, and maybe with some sweetener from the Rangers, would be the most likely path forward that Drury would want to go down.

Reactions: joshjull

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think at the start, Zucker will go with Cozens and Quinn while Benson goes with McLeod and Greenway.

Zucker will bring some jam and finishing ability to Cozens and Quinn.

That said, I imagine that Zucker and Benson will rotate in that middle 6 until one line kind of establishes itself.
If there's one thing Quinn and cozens have, its finishing ability.

I think those lines would be fine, but I also wouldn't mind spreading the goal scoring a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad