The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Like the above post lays out, I think getting Trouba's cap hit for 2025-26 completely off the books is the biggest thing he is trying to accomplish.

I am sure he would love to upgrade on Trouba, and Lindgren. But, being able to re-sign Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller are big challenges that getting Trouba off the books for next season is key.

As such, retaining on Trouba, especially 50% is not the most attractive idea to Drury, most likely.

Jokiharju for Trouba straight up, and maybe with some sweetener from the Rangers, would be the most likely path forward that Drury would want to go down.
I know what you said - of course that’s what Drury prefers. I just don’t think it’s possible to get him fully off the books.

My point is, once he realizes it’s not possible, he’ll either be forced to retain money on a trade or buy him out.

Again, not talking about what Drury wants…I thought I was already clear on that…but what Drury will have to eventually accept. You keep talking about Drury’s preference in response to my posts and I don’t know how to be any more clear that the whole point of what I’m saying is that he won’t get his preference, so it’s irrelevant

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I know what you said - of course that’s what Drury prefers. I just don’t think it’s possible to get him fully off the books.

My point is, once he realizes it’s not possible, he’ll either be forced to retain money on a trade or buy him out.

Again, not talking about what Drury wants…I thought I was already clear on that…but what Drury will have to eventually accept. You keep talking about Drury’s preference in response to my posts and I don’t know how to be any more clear that the whole point of what I’m saying is that he won’t get his preference, so it’s irrelevant
Looking at the buyout option. Looks like 4m 4m 2m 2m. So at that rate, you might as well trade him away at 50% retained for nothing because then it would only be 4m 4m. So a buy out doesn't even make sense unless he can't find a buyer at 50% retention, which we all know he would for a RHD.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Trouba for Joker half retention would not be the worst transaction this offseason.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

So, the buyout for Trouba isn't bad. its 4M/4M/2M/2M (and next year would just be 4M/2M)

I would think the better route would be just buyout his last year and keep him this year.

I guess if you could find a taker at 25-30% retention for 2 years, that would be ideal, but I think the fact that he got an opportunity to game his NTC a bit since he knew they were shopping him, the teams on his list are all teams with a ton of cap hit.

The rangers have one pending Arb case, so they should get a 2nd buyout window in a few weeks.

But yeah, the big issue is next year for the rangers with Laf/Shesterkin needing new deals.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I think the most likely outcome is that Drury has to wait until next summer to move Trouba because Trouba won't accept a trade out of NY this season.

And with only one season left on the deal and the cap likely going up, I could see Drury getting a lot more cap relief for 2025-26 if he waits and trades him next summer.

We shall see.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That's true if it's what Drury/Adams are willing to do while we send him back an NHL defenseman. Seems like a reach to happen from both sides and really just doesn't feel right.

Idk we've seen Buffalo be a retirement fund for players in the past that just want to collect their paycheck and ride off into the sunset. After all, we're not talking about bringing in a high character player here.
I'd have absolutely no interest in taking Trouba at much less than 50% retention.

But if you could essentially get him for 2yrs/4m i think he'd be the upgrade over Joker many want. I can't remember the last time we had a genuine asshole on our team... Kaleta?

If/when Johnson makes the fold he'd potentially allow you to move on from Clifton as well:

Byram/Dahlin
Samuelsson/Power
Johnson/Trouba
Gilbert

Looks like a nice group to me.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But he doesn't have a complete NMC.
Reportedly, he has taken the Hasek path and refused to report to any team he can be traded to. Reportedly that was why the trade with Detroit didn't happen.

No team wants to trade for Trouba only for him to refuse to report.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Reportedly, he has taken the Hasek path and refused to report to any team he can be traded to. Reportedly that was why the trade with Detroit didn't happen.

No team wants to trade for Trouba only for him to refuse to report.
What do you mean he refused? He has a contract.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'd have absolutely no interest in taking Trouba at much less than 50% retention.

But if you could essentially get him for 2yrs/4m i think he'd be the upgrade over Joker many want. I can't remember the last time we had a genuine asshole on our team... Kaleta?

If/when Johnson makes the fold he'd potentially allow you to move on from Clifton as well:

Byram/Dahlin
Samuelsson/Power
Johnson/Trouba
Gilbert

I suppose being able to move on from Clifton and joker would make more sense from a cap perspective but again, a lot of gymnastics to bring in a dirty player that's on the downswing and may not want to be here.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's going to lose a lot of money, but I think if he gets traded, it's going to be a team he's willing to play for.
And due to his wife's residency, the odds of finding a team that he is willing to play for and that will trade for him is a huge longshot.

I suppose being able to move on from Clifton and joker would make more sense from a cap perspective but again, a lot of gymnastics to bring in a dirty player that's on the downswing and may not want to be here.
If the Sabres trade for him, it will be because he wants to be here and play for Lindy.

If he doesn't want to be here, he will say he won't report, and the Sabres won't trade for him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Probably doesn’t make much sense for the Rags though. They’d only free up 900K cap space this season and 4mil next.

I doubt the rangers want to do more than 25% retention. The issue is cap hit next year, not this year.
I think a deal probably looks like:

To NYR: Joker + pick
To Buffalo: Trouba (25% retained),

Buffalo adds a true #4 at premium cost for 2 years. I think he probably pairs well with Power or Bryam. Samuelsson/Trouba has potential as well

All that being said....I doubt we see it. Rangers will probably keep him and simply buy him out next year to make room for their contracts. It's the easiest painless way, and you don't have to worry about moving the contract/retention.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I doubt the rangers want to do more than 25% retention. The issue is cap hit next year, not this year.

Buffalo adds a true #4 at premium cost for 2 years. I think he probably pairs well with Power or Bryam. Samuelsson/Trouba has potential as well

All that being said....I doubt we see it. Rangers will probably keep him and simply buy him out next year to make room for their contracts. It's the easiest painless way, and you don't have to worry about moving the contract/retention.
I think a buyout next offseason is most likely as well - that does totally screw them for this season though. We’ll all know Lavy’s magic wears off pretty quick, and that back end is getting worse every season.

Im very glad that no one is helping Drury out here…namely Trouba himself. Good to see that Buffalo isn’t the only team with a Skinner situation.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Byram/Dahlin
Samuelsson/Power
Johnson/Trouba
Gilbert

Steve ott is offended

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Why is Buffalo adding a pick? FFS.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I don't think they'll want to play 3 goalie charades again. Things may change but there are defined spots going into the season.
You would think, but then they go to Sweden for the first 2 regular season games - so they will being 3 goalies. If they have no roster pressure to send one down on paper, then the door is open. We've been here so many times with this GM.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

Trouba isn't worth even that. He'd be packaged with a pick at 50% retention before anyone would touch him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad