The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Exactly, it's a bit annoying and upsetting the constant: "they don't trade this or that", so what's there to discuss? Even if their fans aren't sure that they don't trade them, but here everyone knows. They have Kopitar, PLD and Byfield and in theory they could trade Danault.

The question is, does LA have someone to replace Danault's role?

They. have Lewis and Lizzote, but neither provide much offense and neither are great in the dot (just average). The contract is fine.

I mean, if I am looking at LA and they are looking to move bodies, I'm asking about Trevor Moore. No NTC, productive, can play the PK.

Other than the Dubois trade, its a pretty well built team. Danualt is an important piece for them.

The big piece they likely have to replace this summer is Roy, and there are a few RHD's on the UFA market. Probably find a cheaper, older guy (Tanev maybe?) and move on. They aren't going to want futures, they are going to want to win now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The question is, does LA have someone to replace Danault's role?

They. have Lewis and Lizzote, but neither provide much offense and neither are great in the dot (just average). The contract is fine.

I mean, if I am looking at LA and they are looking to move bodies, I'm asking about Trevor Moore. No NTC, productive, can play the PK.

Other than the Dubois trade, its a pretty well built team. Danualt is an important piece for them.

The big piece they likely have to replace this summer is Roy, and there are a few RHD's on the UFA market. Probably find a cheaper, older guy (Tanev maybe?) and move on. They aren't going to want futures, they are going to want to win now.
They don't have any prospects for that role? I remember they had a lot of prospects. But then again, they have three top 9 centers and Danault, someone has to play the wing and it doesn't seem to work out that well. They're not trading Kopitar and Byfield and no one needs PLD.

I understand that Danault is not the easiest target, but we're just discussing hypothetical trades here, otherwise this would be very boring.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
LA might trade Danault. They'll insist on UPL being in the trade though.
Well that certainly doesn't make sense to us. Basically me and Chain were proposing a futures trade that was based on LA moving up in the draft.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I'm not trying to trade Power, and even if I was it wouldn't be just for the sake of getting him off the team. I'm firmly on the wait and see with our D core for another year or even two to see what they become.

That being said, someone is going to have to explain the roster construction vision to me with Dahlin, Power, and Byram making up three of our top 4. Every year I watch the playoffs and puck moving defensemen are important, but if you don't have a healthy balance of guys that can handle the heavy grind in their own end I don't see how you can be successful.
Dahlin can 100% handle that grind. Definitely not Byrams style though. Power should be able to handle it with that frame. Samuelson seems to be made of glass though. They could use another big body back there.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You’d think #13 on Florida would be a learning lesson for when he was trying to be run out of town after not becoming who he is now 2-3 seasons in

Reinhart was pretty garbage for us as a #2 pick.. the fact that he blew up this year in a contract year doesn't make me pine for him. For us he didn't show up until half the year was over and we were already out of the playoffs.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Reinhart was pretty garbage for us as a #2 pick.. the fact that he blew up this year in a contract year doesn't make me pine for him. For us he didn't show up until half the year was over and we were already out of the playoffs.

The Sabres were out of the playoffs by Canadian Thanksgiving every year he was here.

I like Samuelsson, but he needs to play 70+ games for me to make a key member of the core. Missing 27 and 41 games in back to back years for a guy so young makes me wonder if this is simply who he is.

His shoulder injury was a fluke injury, even with the give to the boards. While I get your point, I’m not exactly gonna say he’s injury prone. I’m also on the side that we need to add to the D-corps, not subtract from it.

S-tier shitposting :laugh:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
His shoulder injury was a fluke injury, even with the give to the boards. While I get your point, I’m not exactly gonna say he’s injury prone. I’m also on the side that we need to add to the D-corps, not subtract from it.

The problem with the way the defense is setup, we have one real D-man who can literally play with anyone, that is Dahlin. He can play with Samuelsson, he can play with Byram, he can play with power, hell, he can probably make Clifton look good.

After that, the 2nd pair is a mess. find me a pair with 2 of Power, Samuelsson, Byram. I can't remember any of them being super effective.

I'd argue our #1 need on is a good complimentary right side D. Clifton has shown he struggles with higher minutes. So I have him stapled to the bottom pair.

So if we CAN add the complementary #4 d-man via UFA, that leaves:

Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Dahlin
Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Compimentary RD
Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Clifton

The problem, of course, is whoever is on the 3rd pair is going to be overpaid.

I think this year, if you wanted to, you could run a deep defense roster with your bottom pair making 7M+. The problem is going to be next year when Byram is up for a new contract.

Depending on who is the Complimentary RD you sign, that is a potentially 38-40M defense next year, which is too much.

Power is likely immovable. That leaves really 2 options for this year:

- Try to make any 2nd pair work this year with what we have, +/- joker
- Add a complimentary RD via UFA and trade and either move one of Byram/Samuelsson, or just run a deep defense this ear. (Joker is obviously gone in the scenario we add a top 4 RD)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The problem with the way the defense is setup, we have one real D-man who can literally play with anyone, that is Dahlin. He can play with Samuelsson, he can play with Byram, he can play with power, hell, he can probably make Clifton look good.

After that, the 2nd pair is a mess. find me a pair with 2 of Power, Samuelsson, Byram. I can't remember any of them being super effective.

I'd argue our #1 need on is a good complimentary right side D. Clifton has shown he struggles with higher minutes. So I have him stapled to the bottom pair.

So if we CAN add the complementary #4 d-man via UFA, that leaves:

Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Dahlin
Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Compimentary RD
Byram/Power/Samuelsson-Clifton

The problem, of course, is whoever is on the 3rd pair is going to be overpaid.

I think this year, if you wanted to, you could run a deep defense roster with your bottom pair making 7M+. The problem is going to be next year when Byram is up for a new contract.

Depending on who is the Complimentary RD you sign, that is a potentially 38-40M defense next year, which is too much.

Power is likely immovable. That leaves really 2 options for this year:

- Try to make any 2nd pair work this year with what we have, +/- joker
- Add a complimentary RD via UFA and trade and either move one of Byram/Samuelsson, or just run a deep defense this ear. (Joker is obviously gone in the scenario we add a top 4 RD)
The RD market is very thin this season, both in UFA and in trade.

Pesce doesn't want to go to Buffalo.T

hen we have two obvious options Matt Roy and Dylan DeMelo, who are perfect for us, but there are only two of them, other more attractive teams will also claim them and I don't know how to attract them to Buffalo. Overpaying too much is also not an option.

There is also Chris Tanev, who could probably be a good mentor for Owen for a few years.

I also like Chatfield, but he is mainly a third pair defenseman, and may be ready to break out to take on the role of #4 defenseman, but it is the same risk as with Clifton, who was unable to do it.

Reactions: Push Dr Tracksuit

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The RD market is very thin this season, both in UFA and in trade.

Pesce doesn't want to go to Buffalo.

So, it may have simply been he didn't want to leave Carolina. it could have had nothing to do with Buffalo. It's not like he accepted a trade elsewhere. If I remember correctly, he married a woman from N. Carolina.

hen we have two obvious options Matt Roy and Dylan DeMelo, who are perfect for us, but there are only two of them, other more attractive teams will also claim them and I don't know how to attract them to Buffalo. Overpaying too much is also not an option.

So, Matt Roy has a young kid and he and his wife are both from MI. A quick drive to go see family is probably something they'd be interested in. Demelo also has a young family and is from London, ONT, so close as well, though I'm not sure where is wife is from

There is also Chris Tanev, who could probably be a good mentor for Owen for a few years.

Tanev is one we know didn't want to go to Buffalo, explicitly. He is likely cup hunting and will only sign with contenders.

I also like Chatfield, but he is mainly a third pair defenseman, and may be ready to break out to take on the role of #4 defenseman, but it is the same risk as with Clifton, who was unable to do it.

We don't need another project d-man, that is for sure.

IF we wanted to be aggressive on D we could be. Realistically, the D that make the most sense are going to be 5-7M per on a 7 year deal to be competitive. We will have to be top of the heap there price wise. And it likely means sacrifices elsewhere. And, of course, its possibly none of them have any interest in coming here.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So, it may have simply been he didn't want to leave Carolina. it could have had nothing to do with Buffalo. It's not like he accepted a trade elsewhere. If I remember correctly, he married a woman from N. Carolina.
I recently read that when Pesce was asked or even told to go to Buffalo he said "No, definitely not in Buffalo."
So, Matt Roy has a young kid and he and his wife are both from MI. A quick drive to go see family is probably something they'd be interested in. Demelo also has a young family and is from London, ONT, so close as well, though I'm not sure where is wife is from
Makes a lot of sense, hopefully one of them will be in Buffalo.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I recently read that when Pesce was asked or even told to go to Buffalo he said "No, definitely not in Buffalo."

Makes a lot of sense, hopefully one of them will be in Buffalo.
That's why it was a mistake for Adams to sit on his hands at the deadline in 22-23. He should of been pushing to make playoffs that year and help get the stench off the name of Buffalo a bit. Instead we got Stillman.

He will probably turn into Tanner Jeannot ... Jeannot was overpaid in assets .. Joshua will be overpaid in money.

Would like em both but I wouldn't be paying Joshua to have 15 to 20 goals again

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That's why it was a mistake for Adams to sit on his hands at the deadline in 22-23. He should of been pushing to make playoffs that year and help get the stench off the name of Buffalo a bit. Instead we got Stillman.

He will probably turn into Tanner Jeannot ... Jeannot was overpaid in assets .. Joshua will be overpaid in money.

Would like em both but I wouldn't be paying Joshua to have 15 to 20 goals again
Well, it depends on how much you pay. I remember Wood being discussed when he became a UFA, but we all knew Wood was never good at defense or the PK. Joshua on the other hand seems like a more versatile player.

AFP predicts Joshua's contract as 3.2M x 4Y

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Well, it depends on how much you pay. I remember Wood being discussed when he became a UFA, but we all knew Wood was never good at defense or the PK. Joshua on the other hand seems like a more versatile player.

AFP predicts Joshua's contract as 3.2M x 4Y
I would do that... I don't think we would get him for that tho

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'll look for him at the Summer Showcase.

Screenshot_20240610_134615_Photos.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Chad just brought up Strome from WAS as a target, saying Adams always finds someone who no one is talking about. I brought him up here last month and didn't get much of a response either way. Most people just said they're prefer Dowd.

Have people thought any more about how they'd feel about Strome? I originally hated it, but have grown more comfortable with it as I see the other alternatives, and there aren't many great ones.

I really feel like he's going after someone who will be relatively cheap from an asset perspective, and has 1-3 years left on a deal with no trade protection. So far the only ones besides Strome I can identify is Sturm, Colton, and Laughton, and I don't really love any of them.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Chad just brought up Strome from WAS as a target, saying Adams always finds someone who no one is talking about. I brought him up here last month and didn't get much of a response either way. Most people just said they're prefer Dowd.

Have people thought any more about how they'd feel about Strome? I originally hated it, but have grown more comfortable with it as I see the other alternatives, and there aren't many great ones.

I really feel like he's going after someone who will be relatively cheap from an asset perspective, and has 1-3 years left on a deal with no trade protection. So far the only ones besides Strome I can identify is Sturm, Colton, and Laughton, and I don't really love any of them.
Honestly I'm not sure how he is defensively so I can't really comment. I do know his counting numbers have been solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad