The Rise And Fall Of Mike Sullivan...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Penguins have been milking the old core of Letang, Crosby, and Malkin for everything it is worth for years now. Despite the repeated pleas from fans and analysts to accumulate future assets for a rebuild, there has been a palpable resistance for years by ownership and through multiple GM's. When Brian Burke came on board as President in early 2021, he was told by ownership that the franchise was still committed to pursuing another Cup run despite the aging of the team's stars. When no progress was made toward this goal, he was let go along with GM Ron Hextall.

Since they won their last Cup in 2017, the Penguins have won a single playoff series. They also missed the playoffs for the first time in 16 years in 2023. Despite "revamping" the FO with the hiring of Kyle Dubas, who was clearly apt to forward ownership's vision of bypassing a rebuild with the addition of yet another aging piece in Erik Karlsson, Coach Mike Sullivan has remained safe regardless of results. Pens ownership has repeatedly expressed full confidence despite years of floundering. About a year ago, "new" GM Kyle Dubas proclaimed, "if you don't have Sully, you're looking for Sully", suggesting as close to a lifetime contract as one could ever realistically promote in professional sports.

My question is...why? In an industry in which coaches often teeter on the brink of getting fired for even brief spirts of poor play, why is Sullivan permanently baked into the franchise? Given the resistance to a rebuild, and the burning desire for another Cup run despite significant headwinds, how has a coaching change not been tried considering years upon years of coming nowhere close to the stated goal? It is a mystery that truly baffles me and I'm looking of any insight as to a legitimate reason for it.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
There another Mike Sullivan thread with plenty of angst in it already.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
He's just one of those guys who has a golden horse shoe and a silver spoon up his ass. Lindy Ruff and Don Waddell are other examples. How they've held a job for as long as they did and do is mystifying.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I think Sullivan has a lot of input on what players the front office pursues and signs, so people solely blaming Dubas for the state of the team now are being short-sighted.

I have to agree with this. There’s been plenty written about how Dubas and Sullivan “share the same vision” on how to build the team. Sullivan has also described up-tempo, risk taking hockey as being part of the “DNA” of the franchise. It sort of seems like Sully and Dubas are dreamers who refuse to acknowledge the reality of the situation. That being said, ownership is the exact same way.

Overall, the entirety of the Pens franchise just seems to be in denial and it’s been that way for years. No matter the results, they just try again the next year only to see the same thing happen or worse. I imagine I’d have long lost my shit it I were a Pens fan.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I have to agree with this. There’s been plenty written about how Dubas and Sullivan “share the same vision” on how to build the team. Sullivan has also described up-tempo, risk taking hockey as being part of the “DNA” of the franchise. It sort of seems like Sully and Dubas are dreamers who refuse to acknowledge the reality of the situation. That being said, ownership is the exact same way.

Overall, the entirety of the Pens franchise just seems to be in denial and it’s been that way for years. No matter the results, they just try again the next year only to see the same thing happen or worse. I imagine I’d have long lost my shit it I were a Pens fan.

The recent Cup wins help a lot, and I'm fine with ownership not moving on from Crosby and Malkin because they're franchise icons, but yeah, it's a frustrating situation.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They change 5 to 10 players every summer and what do the new ones do? go on to have their shittiest career seasons. Under Sullivan. Karlsson, Rielky Smith, Rakell, Graves, Eller, Petry, Accarai....just to name some recent ones.
He coaches the same way no matter who he has , no matter what the score is, no matterxwhobthe opponent is, no matter what the clock says.. Line matching Mike says ....what's that!
Sure the Pens are contenders, but there is no absolutely no structure, no systems, no game plan. Owener ship changes, GMs and Presidents get shit canned, goalies get changed .......but Mike Sullivan is part of the building.
ha! Try find a coach in any league that can go six years (19, 20, 21, 22, 23 , 24) without winning a single play off round and remain on the job.
You won't find one.......Sullivan setting records in that department.
This team has needed a new voice like no team we have ever seen.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
People named Mike in Pittsburgh don't get fired for being inept coaches who no longer win in the playoffs, if they can even get there.

Hell. I'd argue Sullivan deserves a little more grace since he's won a championship more recently than Tomlin has even won a playoff game...

But this is the new normal: the comfort of consistent mediocrity.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
I am sure Dubie would have loved to shit can Mike Sullivan and hire Keefe in the off season but his hands were and still are tied by ownership.
There was a rumour circulating that after Keefe was canned in Toronto, Sullivan was to resign and join New Jersey and Keefe was Pittsburgh bound to reunite with his old buddy

‘‘Twas not to be and Sullivan would remain coach of the pens and Keefe would be the one to ironically end up in Jersey

I think you’re right and that Pens ownership likely vetoed this from happening

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad