OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Whats a Running Back? Does it make the Steel Steeler?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I might be cautiously optimistic about the offence. Lots of talent, guys getting open, Pickett looked smooth.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I do not want to overreact to preseason but I do think this will be a fun year to watch. Who knows what the record will be but they have a lot of fun, talented young players.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I might be cautiously optimistic about the offence. Lots of talent, guys getting open, Pickett looked smooth.

Lots of unconventional pieces that can really help this offense if Canada can figure out how to use them - Austin, Washington, Heyward.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Honestly the only thing that concerns me with the offense is how effective of a RB Najee can be. Pickett and Johnson seem to have a lot more chemistry this year, which should have a monumental impact on their passing game.

I think their passing game looks like it will be good this year with Pickett throwing to Muth, Johnson, Pickens, Robinson and Austin. But I'm still concerned about thier running game until Harris can show me more than he has so far. Warren looks good so it's not a disaster, but they really need Harris to work out for their offense.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly the only thing that concerns me with the offense is how effective of a RB Najee can be. Pickett and Johnson seem to have a lot more chemistry this year, which should have a monumental impact on their passing game.

I think their passing game looks like it will be good this year with Pickett throwing to Muth, Johnson, Pickens, Robinson and Austin. But I'm still concerned about thier running game until Harris can show me more than he has so far. Warren looks good so it's not a disaster, but they really need Harris to work out for their offense.

Maybe I'm too forgiving but I never get the problem with Harris. When the line isn't a disaster zone and he's fit, he's good enough. Not fantastic, not as good as we'd hope for maybe, but good enough. There's no home run gear and never will be, and he probably needs more space to get up to steam than is ideal, but once he's there he regularly beats the first guy and chews off chain moving gains. If he's doing that and forces teams to focus on him so Pickett has space to throw at, mission accomplished.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe I'm too forgiving but I never get the problem with Harris. When the line isn't a disaster zone and he's fit, he's good enough. Not fantastic, not as good as we'd hope for maybe, but good enough. There's no home run gear and never will be, and he probably needs more space to get up to steam than is ideal, but once he's there he regularly beats the first guy and chews off chain moving gains. If he's doing that and forces teams to focus on him so Pickett has space to throw at, mission accomplished.

Bell was a lot like Harris, and never a big home run hitter, but it didn’t stop their offense from being explosive even though Bell was a lumbering back.

Harris has put up b2b 1000 yard seasons and has almost 3k all purpose yards his first two years.

That’s more than respectable.

I think he needs to get above 4 YPC this season though, as top backs don’t generally hover below that watermark, and he’s been below that mark both years.

Reactions: Peat

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
If nothing else I’m just glad to have a visual of Austin that’s not in the oversized practice helmet - which makes him look 2-3 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than he actually is. Plays like a straight up weapon when healthy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If nothing else I’m just glad to have a visual of Austin that’s not in the oversized practice helmet - which makes him look 2-3 inches shorter and 20 lbs lighter than he actually is. Plays like a straight up weapon when healthy.

I’m not one to make fun of others appearances, but the guardian cap does Austin no favors in terms of aesthetics.

I admit I thought he looked like Toad with it on the first time I saw him.

I’ve seen several captioned pics of him in camp floating around, making jokes about him being a child that snuck into camp or whatever, which is lame.

But better to keep his dome safe than care what people think.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Herbig needs to run with the 1's. The speed he gets to the QB is absolutely wild. I was a proponent of maybe moving him to ILB, but f*** that. He's an animal.

Love Austin. He can downright fly. This receiving corps is actually really good, I think.

Kendrick Green isn't good at football. Put this dude out of his misery.

I thought McFarland had a good game. I'd like to see him run behind the starting line.

Broderick Jones is f***ing massive.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
You all really need to listen to Mark Madden more.

This is a 9-8 team. No playoffs, and if somehow they sneak it - one and done.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Herbig needs to run with the 1's. The speed he gets to the QB is absolutely wild. I was a proponent of maybe moving him to ILB, but f*** that. He's an animal.

Love Austin. He can downright fly. This receiving corps is actually really good, I think.

Kendrick Green isn't good at football. Put this dude out of his misery.

I thought McFarland had a good game. I'd like to see him run behind the starting line.

Broderick Jones is f***ing massive.

Hard to tell, but I think this is Green being thrown at MR:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It's obviously early disclaimer caveat yadda yadda but this draft class really may turn into one we look back at in a few years as one of the great classes they've had in a long time. Benton and Herbig were dominant all night, JPJ has had a great camp, and Jones appears to be coming on. Trice going down is a real shame as I really think he has major upside, but regardless, Khan appears to have hit a home run with this group.

Kendrick Green, on the other hand, would probably be in the first round of cuts if they still had multiple cut down days. That guy just can't play.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hard to tell, but I think this is Green being thrown at MR:

Jiggy I watched that and the entire bar I was at looked at each other and asked if Green was just used as a projectile to knock down Rudolph. I have never seen a 315 pound man have less ability to anchor than Green. It's also crazy they haven't tried him at guard, but after seeing that how can you even think about playing him? He's going to get a QB killed.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Jiggy I watched that and the entire bar I was at looked at each other and asked if Green was just used as a projectile to knock down Rudolph. I have never seen a 315 pound man have less ability to anchor than Green. It's also crazy they haven't tried him at guard, but after seeing that how can you even think about playing him? He's going to get a QB killed.

He was at G last off-season competing with Dotson.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If you can’t anchor, you can’t play guard either.

He’s definitely a bust and I agree he’s going to get a QB killed if they keep playing Russian Roulette with him.

This nonsense of using him as a fullback makes me roll my eyes.

Steelers don’t even use their normal fullbacks that often. When they do it should be Heyward, who is a talented player that needs more snaps, not some failed C.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Wow, golly gee. Have we commissioned for a Kenny Pickett hall of fame bust yet?
Mindless, pointless post. No one is calling Kenny an HOF player. Most of us are excited that we won't have another 20 year drought for a franchise qb like we did when Bradshaw retired.

The Mitch hate I've read is also laughable. Dude balled out in his relief appearances last season and I would clearly rank him ahead of Rudolph (who hasn't been the same player since his near death incident against bmore).

Reactions: Jaded-Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad