OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Whats a Running Back? Does it make the Steel Steeler?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Man, TJ Watt has to know the Steelers have no chance at competing for Championships. It's a good thing the money keeps him going because I would have tapped out of this shit show.

Hope Kahn is proactive and moves Watt for a couple of firsts in the off-season.

Then he can actually win a playoff game and Steelers can have pieces to rebuild or whatever you do during Tomlin Purgatory.

homer-simpson-brain.gif

Tomlin is just setting this season up for another come from behind mediocre winning season.

Wait and see his genius plan come to fruition.

Gonna feel so stoopid.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Mike Tomlin: "On offense, man, it's like we talked about it the early portions of the week, that's a fundamentalist group. They do a really good job of minimizing splash and making you operate and making you be efficient. And to be quite honest, we weren't efficient enough. We didn't minimize enough negativity. We didn't stay on schedule enough and so drives get stalled or you settle for field goals and so it was a perfect storm for us offensively and defensively from that perspective."

Everyone already knows this, but these quotes are just further evidence that he's a decade behind the times.

All he can do to somewhat explain the offensive ineptitude is speak in generic platitudes like efficiency, splash plays, minimizing negative outcomes, staying on schedule (what in the hell does that even mean?) etc. Basically saying a lot of nothing of substance.

You'll never get him to actually explain the purpose of certain routes or play designs and how they lead to mismatches or how they create open space or advantage your players over theirs, because he doesn't actually know.

They so badly need an infusion of younger, up to date coaching, preferably from the Shanahan tree if any more even exist out there.

Reactions: Josey Wales

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
…isn’t it already a sunk cost by now? It’s not like you pay for it by the game or by month, right? Don’t you have to just pay for the whole season upfront anyway?
I signed up for it today. The first bunch of games were all national tv so i figured save alittle and pick it up when the games werent on tv.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Hope Kahn is proactive and moves Watt for a couple of firsts in the off-season.

Then he can actually win a playoff game and Steelers can have pieces to rebuild or whatever you do during Tomlin Purgatory.
If it's possible for Cowherd's ego to get any bigger it has to have ballooned after this game.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Everyone already knows this, but these quotes are just further evidence that he's a decade behind the times.

All he can do to somewhat explain the offensive ineptitude is speak in generic platitudes like efficiency, splash plays, minimizing negative outcomes, staying on schedule (what in the hell does that even mean?) etc. Basically saying a lot of nothing of substance.

You'll never get him to actually explain the purpose of certain routes or play designs and how they lead to mismatches or how they create open space or advantage your players over theirs, because he doesn't actually know.

They so badly need an infusion of younger, up to date coaching, preferably from the Shanahan tree if any more even exist out there.
That’s his whole MO. Tomlin is like that person at work who always sounds like they know what they’re talking about but then they turn in their project and it’s a mess

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Did he actually say this?

Get him the f**** out of here. I'm so tired of his mediocrity.

The exact wrong thing to do. We should have run up and sneaked it immediately.

Canada sucks but no doubt that sequence is on Mike Tomlin.
What’s crazy is that if he didn’t say that, it’s absolutely something you would think he would say

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Josh Dobbs is playing 10 times better against the 9ers than Pickett did lmao
It is so obvious that our coaching and schemes are getting obliterated. Everyone looks mediocre to horrific. If KP is out extended why are we waiting to can Canada?

He's paced at a worse rate of scoring than the Kent Graham year in a LOWER scoring Era LOL. It's asinine.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I obviously think Canada sucks but when Pickett spazzes out in the pocket, when he misses wide open receivers and checks down. That's not on Canada.

The Steelers are in serious trouble. Jets level trouble. Good enough D to be out of the running for a great QB but abysmal offense.

Teams have moved on from higher 1st Rd QBs than Pickett after two years in the league. And if he's out longer term they'll have less time to make a decision on it. To me I think he sucks and they need to find another option but you have a really suck to get a franchise QB and they're just good enough to not get what they need. Maybe there's a mid round guy there but they can't miss again.

I guess maybe an option is to fire Canada now and see what you can get out of Pickett the rest of the year.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It's the chicken or the egg argument. What do you think Brock Purdy stats are playing under this coaching staff, with very little protection or offensive gameplan.

farts in spanish
That's my biggest gripe here. So our scenario is we limp through this year then fire Canada. Then you need to give KP year 3 with a new OC to see if he can be a starter...

We essentially are delaying any hope of success. Cause we don't know if we need to get a new QB and start this charade all over.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At this point, this is not an either/or with the offense for who sucks. Canada sucks, Pickett sucks, Najee sucks and the OL sucks. Hell, I'm even turning on the WR group as well, they seem comically overrated for how hyped they were in the off-season. It's a toxic situation all around, one that I honestly don't know how you can get out of. There is not a single thing this organization can do that fixes their issues on offense, the issues are deeply entrained and will take multiple years of correct roster management to address.

This is all frustrating because the team put themselves down this path when they decided to go "all in" on Ben's last year in 2021. The OL had gone to garbage in the past few years, with their entire elite OL from 2017 (Villanueva, Foster, DeCastro, Pouncey and Gilbert) being gone from the team after the 2020 season. Their OL by the 2020 season was already bad because the guys left from that 2017 group had regressed significantly. With a completely empty OL, what did they decide to do in the 2021 draft? Draft a f***ing RB with their 1st round pick. That is the point where the Steelers set themselves on the path to where they are today. The Steelers did the same exact thing in 2022, just plug Pickett in for Ben and don't do anything to actually address the issues on the team.

I think Pickett and Harris are both lower tier starters at their respective positions, but both were put in a position to fail by an arrogant organization refusing to admit they need to rebuild. How do you expect Harris to have success with such a garbage run blocking OL? How do you expect Pickett to have success with no running game and a dunce offensive coordinator? Both have absolutely stunk on their own, but the team did them no favors.

Ultimately, the only way out of the purgatory they've put themselves in is either to tear it down or get insanely lucky. I don't know which one of those I'd put more as unlikely, because this team is way too arrogant to tear it down.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Pickens drops multiple passes a game too. Freiermuth isn't elite and all of our elite offensive weapons look terrible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The sheep fall for it every time and in the offseason: "next year will different, we had momentum to close out the year" hur dur

If it's possible for Cowherd's ego to get any bigger it has to have ballooned after this game.

Ya I’m done humoring anyone who thinks Tomlin is anything by a middling coach ther got lucky enough to be hired by Rooney.

I obviously think Canada sucks but when Pickett spazzes out in the pocket, when he misses wide open receivers and checks down. That's not on Canada.

The Steelers are in serious trouble. Jets level trouble. Good enough D to be out of the running for a great QB but abysmal offense.

Teams have moved on from higher 1st Rd QBs than Pickett after two years in the league. And if he's out longer term they'll have less time to make a decision on it. To me I think he sucks and they need to find another option but you have a really suck to get a franchise QB and they're just good enough to not get what they need. Maybe there's a mid round guy there but they can't miss again.

I guess maybe an option is to fire Canada now and see what you can get out of Pickett the rest of the year.

They won’t be in position to draft a top 5 talent but Tomlin has basically shit this year away with finding out who KP is.

At this point, this is not an either/or with the offense for who sucks. Canada sucks, Pickett sucks, Najee sucks and the OL sucks. Hell, I'm even turning on the WR group as well, they seem comically overrated for how hyped they were in the off-season. It's a toxic situation all around, one that I honestly don't know how you can get out of. There is not a single thing this organization can do that fixes their issues on offense, the issues are deeply entrained and will take multiple years of correct roster management to address.

This is all frustrating because the team put themselves down this path when they decided to go "all in" on Ben's last year in 2021. The OL had gone to garbage in the past few years, with their entire elite OL from 2017 (Villanueva, Foster, DeCastro, Pouncey and Gilbert) being gone from the team after the 2020 season. Their OL by the 2020 season was already bad because the guys left from that 2017 group had regressed significantly. With a completely empty OL, what did they decide to do in the 2021 draft? Draft a f***ing RB with their 1st round pick. That is the point where the Steelers set themselves on the path to where they are today. The Steelers did the same exact thing in 2022, just plug Pickett in for Ben and don't do anything to actually address the issues on the team.

I think Pickett and Harris are both lower tier starters at their respective positions, but both were put in a position to fail by an arrogant organization refusing to admit they need to rebuild. How do you expect Harris to have success with such a garbage run blocking OL? How do you expect Pickett to have success with no running game and a dunce offensive coordinator? Both have absolutely stunk on their own, but the team did them no favors.

Ultimately, the only way out of the purgatory they've put themselves in is either to tear it down or get insanely lucky. I don't know which one of those I'd put more as unlikely, because this team is way too arrogant to tear it down.

Tomlin Purgatory means never being bad enough to have a shot at the elite QBs so don’t bother hoping.

Tomlin would f*** up the development of any QB they draft anyway - someone has to be brain dead not to see who he is by now.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I will state this again - Matt Canada was woefully unqualified, and hell...anti-qualified for this job. That he was handed it is a reflection on 2 men: Rooney with his Pitt obsession and his cheapness, and Tomlin preferring C-player OCs and also giving a kickback for his son's scholarship.

Reactions: TNT87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad