OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The whole Pickens drama is a great example of how terrible Tomlin is at maintaining discipline of players, but I’m firmly at the point where I just don’t want Pickens on this team anymore.

He’s a crybaby diva who’s not talented enough for his overinflated ego.
Or get a coach that will hold him accountable.

Don't get me wrong. I was pointing out the red flags with him last year, but I think he is talented enough to try to make it work. We've just seen that Tomlin's not the guy to do it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This team is masochism at its finest.

They are a talented team, but this is really bad.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I have nightmares of Pickens scoring 14 TDs in KC. I really hope they can make it work, but he looks very checked out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or get a coach that will hold him accountable.

Don't get me wrong. I was pointing out the red flags with him last year, but I think he is talented enough to try to make it work. We've just seen that Tomlin's not the guy to do it.

See, I don’t think he’s talented enough for the headache. Tomlin sucks but throwing fits about not getting the ball enough isn’t going to go away with a more strict coach.

I honestly feel like Pickens isn’t a great route runner and struggles to get open. He’s fantastic at winning battles in 1 on 1 balls but I don’t think the rest of his skill set is on par with that.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
See, I don’t think he’s talented enough for the headache. Tomlin sucks but throwing fits about not getting the ball enough isn’t going to go away with a more strict coach.

I honestly feel like Pickens isn’t a great route runner and struggles to get open. He’s fantastic at winning battles in 1 on 1 balls but I don’t think the rest of his skill set is on par with that.
Struggles to get open? He’s open 90% of the time… just ask him

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

This is correct. Pickens is grossly overrated due to the circus catches. He Martavis Bryant v2.0. - useful, but not a #1.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well at least someone is saying this outside of HF Boards lol

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
He was out there celebrating a tackle when they were down 21-3 ! He is just a bad

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

He's not the best route runner, but he's big, fast, physical, has great hands, great body control. He's not AB, but he'd be in the running for the 2nd most talented WR that Tomlin has had.

I'm not trying to defend him. Again, I was pointing out the red flags last year. I think someone even called me racist for it. He needs to handle it better, but the frustration is understandable. If the offense was putting up 30 points a game and they were winning and he was doing this, that's a cut bait and run type of situation.

Good coaching can and should keep most of in check, but Tomlin doesn't even see it as an issue. It's "a pebble in his shoe". He doesn't need to be a saint for it to be worth it either. People forget that Ward held out and had public fights with Ben. Shit happens on a team, but the team leaders, be it players or coaches, need to resolve it when it happens. That type of leadership is long gone in this franchise, though, and that's why things like this keep happening over and over and over again.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Steeler Way is long gone. Fitz and Heyward are about all that would fit that description. Even as great as Watt is, I don't know that he's that type of leader.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Are they a talented team? Outside of TJ, show me any other high priced player living up their contract.
They are. No one is living up to their contract currently, but these guys are good football players.

This defense should be a top 5 unit.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The players can only perform up the level of the scheme. TJ will get his numbers because his job is simply to wreak havoc in the backfield. But Minkah hasn't been used properly here since the first season when he was allowed to ballhawk.

The offense is just a mess. When we said we needed to fire Canada, I don't think anyone thought it would immediately turn the offense around. At least no one with any kind of understanding of how football works - you simply cannot replace a bad scheme mid-season. At best we hoped better play-calling would improve things - which it definitely has. But again, you can't replace a scheme that's been run for 3 years in a couple weeks.

If Rooney wants to have any kind of positive legacy as an owner, he needs to force Tomlin to hire good coaches. Or take it out of his hands and let Khan do the searching and hiring. Let Tomlin pout however much he wants.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They are. No one is living up to their contract currently, but these guys are good football players.

This defense should be a top 5 unit.
Can we agree that they have potential to be talented and it's definitely the coaching not getting the most out of their roster.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tomlin needs to be a HC and that's it. He has too much power in the organization - power he really has not earned in any way, shape, or form.

What needs to happen, Tomlin may not want to be re-signed this offseason because he needs his power dialed back a great deal.

Mike Tomlin should dedicate his HOF bid to Ben Roethlisberger and Dick Lebeau.

Can we agree that they have potential to be talented and it's definitely the coaching not getting the most out of their roster.
Sure. You are the one who questions the talent. I never did.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
There’s a lot you can type about Tomlin but the truth is this shouldn’t be a boiling point. It’s been the same shit for a decade. Now I’m glad it’s catching on more, both nationally and locally, but that game changed zero about my attitude towards this team. Blind leading the blind.

I feel disheartened for the competitors like Watt, Minkah, Pickett, etc who do seem like they want to win. But this is nothing new at all.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Tomlin needs to be a HC and that's it. He has too much power in the organization - power he really has not earned in any way, shape, or form.

What needs to happen, Tomlin may not want to be re-signed this offseason because he needs his power dialed back a great deal.

Mike Tomlin should dedicate his HOF bid to Ben Roethlisberger and Dick Lebeau.
What does he do well as a HC even?

No discipline. Terrible clock management. The team is often unprepared. There's no focus. They play hard only when they want to play hard. Overall poor management (no communication among the different position groups, no requirements for tape study or work outs, etc.). Outdated philosophy.

The only positives I can think of are the players like playing for him which is probably because there's no accountability and they can do whatever they want, coming up with flowery phrases to not actually say anything during press conferences, and having a horseshoe stuck up his ass.

What's the point of paying the head cheerleader $12M/year, ya know?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What does he do well as a HC even?

No discipline. Terrible clock management. The team is often unprepared. There's no focus. They play hard only when they want to play hard. Overall poor management (no communication among the different position groups, no requirements for tape study or work outs, etc.). Outdated philosophy.

The only positives I can think of are the players like playing for him which is probably because there's no accountability and they can do whatever they want, coming up with flowery phrases to not actually say anything during press conferences, and having a horseshoe stuck up his ass.

What's the point of paying the head cheerleader $12M/year, ya know?

This is going to sound kind of contradictory, but I don't know how else to explain it - he is unable to execute X's and O's as a coach (gameplan/clock management) and disciplining players, but when he speaks they listen. I believe that if he had coordinators that were competent in the way LeBeau was, Tomlin would have had multiple Super Bowls. He is a leader of men, but he is not good at the nuts and bolts of the day to day grind of keeping young 20 year olds on track.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Have to say one individual I am particularly happy for from last night is that dude on the Pat McAfee show who is the resident “Boston stooge”, Austin Connor or whatever. Rough year for his Pats but they BALLED last night. Think there was extra motivation playing the Steelers? Anyway, dude Looks like an absolute goon but then you listen to him speak and he articulates himself really well. I can see why Pat identified him as a talent to bring on, and hitching his wagon to Pat’s has been very lucrative I’m sure.

Hell, the whole “progrum”. We have a guy in our corner in Tone Diggs. Ty Schmitt is brilliant. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the show has gotten better since moving to ESPN. Highly recommend if you’re an NFL stooge.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Have to say one individual I am particularly happy for from last night is that dude on the Pat McAfee show who is the resident “Boston stooge”, Austin Connor or whatever. Rough year for his Pats but they BALLED last night. Think there was extra motivation playing the Steelers? Anyway, dude Looks like an absolute goon but then you listen to him speak and he articulates himself really well. I can see why Pat identified him as a talent to bring on, and hitching his wagon to Pat’s has been very lucrative I’m sure.

Hell, the whole “progrum”. We have a guy in our corner in Tone Diggs. Ty Schmitt is brilliant. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the show has gotten better since moving to ESPN. Highly recommend if you’re an NFL stooge.
No you shouldn’t be happy for Connor the Bost Fans want to tank. They lost out on Williams last night and are in danger of losing out on May if they draft 3 behind Arizona they will have to bid with the other teams to get Maye or Daniels whoever else ends up Qb 2

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Winning was legitimately the worst possible thing that could have ever happened to New England last night. If they are not picking in the top 3, they may miss out on two franchise QBs by beating the Steelers and that would be hilarious.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
No you shouldn’t be happy for Connor the Bost Fans want to tank. They lost out on Williams last night and are in danger of losing out on May if they draft 3 behind Arizona they will have to bid with the other teams to get Maye or Daniels whoever else ends up Qb 2
Who cares, they’re New England. They win super bowls and beat the Steelers. It’s what they do. They’ll be fine no matter who they draft. And sure you can say it was all Brady but just you wait. While the Steelers were bad last night, I was very impressed with the Pats. Got the defense and if Zappe ends up being a dude, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad