OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't support acknowledging Peyton is a shell of his former self whilst still hoping he wins. Knowing when to quit is important and worth recognizing.

Knowing when to quit? If someone told me they'd pay me 10m or whatever to go play a sport, I'd do it without thinking twice. I wouldn't even care if every pass I threw was an interception. :laugh:

Where does this idea come from? I'm always astonished when fans try to act like they'd do anything different in his situation. The man I respect the most is Jerry Rice. That guy said **** it and played until he was flat out not good enough and cut. It takes some serious guts to do that when you are one of the best all time players in the game.

I don't believe for a single second that ANY of us would choose to give up because "knowing when to quit is important and worth recognizing".

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Knowing when to quit? If someone told me they'd pay me 10m or whatever to go play a sport, I'd do it without thinking twice. I wouldn't even care if every pass I threw was an interception. :laugh:

Where does this idea come from? I'm always astonished when fans try to act like they'd do anything different in his situation. The man I respect the most is Jerry Rice. That guy said **** it and played until he was flat out not good enough and cut. It takes some serious guts to do that when you are one of the best all time players in the game.

I don't believe for a single second that ANY of us would choose to give up because "knowing when to quit is important and worth recognizing".

Even Polamalu said earlier in his career that he would only play as long as his level didn't drop. He held on too long as well and made the Steelers force him to make a choice.

Most players don't just quit to go out on top. They want to play because they love what they do and never really can face that day when their minds keep saying yes but the body screams no more.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I read that the Steelers are interested in Braxton Miller as a second round choice. Another potential Killer B.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I can't support acknowledging Peyton is a shell of his former self whilst still hoping he wins. Knowing when to quit is important and worth recognizing.

He should have quit after throwing 39 TD's last year, and 55 the year before?

:laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I read that the Steelers are interested in Braxton Miller as a second round choice. Another potential Killer B.

Gotta keep up the quota of drafting someone I can't ****ing stand every year.

At least they've been hitting on those lately.

Not sure why the Steelers would be throwing a high pick at a receiver, though. We're not exactly lacking targets and barely even touched our 3rd rounder from last year.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Gotta keep up the quota of drafting someone I can't ****ing stand every year.

At least they've been hitting on those lately.

Not sure why the Steelers would be throwing a high pick at a receiver, though. We're not exactly lacking targets and barely even touched our 3rd rounder from last year.

If the Steelers were to draft a Buckeye this year I'd prefer Apple or Bell. Miller is a game changer though. He's got the slickest hips I've ever seen from someone coming out of Ohio State.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
They probably won't be bringing back Heyward-Bay so they have room for another WR if they want. The secondary, OLB, TE, DT, DE depth are obviously bigger concerns, but if they like him, they like him. He's never done PR duty either so I'm not sure he'd even be useful there. They could possibly grab Jalin Marshall from OSU late if they want to get AB away from PR duty.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Word is down here in Mobile this week with the Senior bowl in town that the Steelers brass first prospect they talked to was Cody Kessler QB from USC. From what they are saying, there seems to be some real interest in him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Even Polamalu said earlier in his career that he would only play as long as his level didn't drop. He held on too long as well and made the Steelers force him to make a choice.

Most players don't just quit to go out on top. They want to play because they love what they do and never really can face that day when their minds keep saying yes but the body screams no more.

I believe Polamalu said in a PG article that no one basically wanted him neither. He was sort of forced to retire by the league.

God no. This would be the year, with us so close to being complete again, that the front office goes and ****s everything up with a stupid pick or two in the top 100.

If we don't sign anyone in free agency, we have to draft a corner. ****, we have to draft a corner in the top 64 regardless. The sexy pick would be a pass catching, field stretching TE.

If the Steelers were to draft a Buckeye this year I'd prefer Apple or Bell. Miller is a game changer though. He's got the slickest hips I've ever seen from someone coming out of Ohio State.

Easy there, big boy.

They probably won't be bringing back Heyward-Bay so they have room for another WR if they want. The secondary, OLB, TE, DT, DE depth are obviously bigger concerns, but if they like him, they like him. He's never done PR duty either so I'm not sure he'd even be useful there. They could possibly grab Jalin Marshall from OSU late if they want to get AB away from PR duty.

They should bring back Bey. He's done everything asked of him and more. Decent depth wideout, good speed, and a very good special teamer.

Word is down here in Mobile this week with the Senior bowl in town that the Steelers brass first prospect they talked to was Cody Kessler QB from USC. From what they are saying, there seems to be some real interest in him.

Shotgun QB

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I know nothing about him. All I can report is what I have been hearing. LJ is well known to be on the way out and they need the depth. I'm guessing he would be a 4-6th round pick.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know nothing about him. All I can report is what I have been hearing. LJ is well known to be on the way out and they need the depth. I'm guessing he would be a 4-6th round pick.

Yeah, very late round pick. I don't think he serves us any purpose, honestly. I just hope that the front office is able to recognize what we need and they are able to refrain from drafting a WR or RB.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, very late round pick. I don't think he serves us any purpose, honestly. I just hope that the front office is able to recognize what we need and they are able to refrain from drafting a WR or RB.

Depth QB. The writing is on the wall for Jones in the same way it was for Pedro Alvarez in the post season. BB had to come back with a shoulder injury when the back up should have been able to handle the job. Doubt Vick is back and Gradkowski may or may not be re-signed. Still need a third whether its him or another choice.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
At this point.. if a QB drops and the Steelers have them pretty high on their board, then it's worth taking a QB. I'm totally okay with letting a guy sit for a few years and learn under Ben IF they feel he's the next guy.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
At this point.. if a QB drops and the Steelers have them pretty high on their board, then it's worth taking a QB. I'm totally okay with letting a guy sit for a few years and learn under Ben IF they feel he's the next guy.

Yep, they once passed on Marino because they thought Bradshaw had several years left... one elbow blow out later and we were stuck in the mediocre QB factory for decades

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
So did I hear Townsend is another former steeler turned coach with us? Didn't dude have a drug ring operating out of one of his houses? And is this hiring all your former players just a Pittsburgh sports thing?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i once sold deshea an only slightly abridged history of the decline and fall of the roman empire. jason gildon thought he was crazy

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So did I hear Townsend is another former steeler turned coach with us? Didn't dude have a drug ring operating out of one of his houses? And is this hiring all your former players just a Pittsburgh sports thing?

Be wary of libel. I don't recall a drug ring, but nothing would surprise me.

Former players being coaches is most definitely not just a Pittsburgh thing. Just picking the Packers at random they have a ton of former players coaching. Some of them are on their second or third team, but still...also there's an odd amount of Pittsburgh (Steelers & Pitt) connections...but anyway they have guys like Alex Van Pelt (Pitt & Buffalo), Jason Simmons (Steelers), Luke Getsy (Pitt), James Campen, Scott McCurley (Pitt), and Darren Perry (Steelers).

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Jerome Simpson was sentenced for trafficking in 8 oz to five pounds of weed when he was, you guessed it, a Bengal. I think he was selling it from his home.

I think someone was accused of selling some illegal drug from Townsend's house, but it may have been by a renter, and it wasn't clear if he had any knowledge of it. the story kind of came and went pretty quickly, IIRC.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

I kept an eye open for the news but didn't watch it. Let's be honest, as soon as it was announced that he would be committing on KDKA there was basically zero chance it wasn't going to be Pitt.

The whole concept of these kids giving non-binding "verbal" commitments is such a joke anyway. Let it sit until LOI day and then see who gets the faxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad