OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Super Bowl 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
So did I hear Townsend is another former steeler turned coach with us? Didn't dude have a drug ring operating out of one of his houses? And is this hiring all your former players just a Pittsburgh sports thing?

Townsend was hired by the Cardinals right after he retired and is now with the Titans. I can very much see how that would be confused with being hired by the Steelers though :P

Pretty sure both times the defensive coordinator was a former steelers coach (Horton and Lebeau)

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Marino did an interview today and said he talked to Cowher about coming to the Steelers for 1 season when he was done in Miami.

What a yinzplosion that would of been.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Marino was a shell of his former self by then.

I would have been very surprised if he was able to perform anywhere near his normal level.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He would have been able to oust Bubby Brister as the city's favorite back-up QB

The two things that I remember most about Bubby was that he was one tough SOB. That guy could take one hell of smack down. Seemed like ever game someone was pinwheeling him in the air and he would bounce right back up.

The other was that he either tied or broke the consecutive pass completion record for the Steelers in one game.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Marino did an interview today and said he talked to Cowher about coming to the Steelers for 1 season when he was done in Miami.

What a yinzplosion that would of been.

I do remember that at the time. iirc, I remember reading Marino really wanted to, But Dan Rooney talked him out of it, and stressed the benefit of being remembered for being a one franchise your whole career guy. And that a one year detour wouldn't really serve him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
At this point.. if a QB drops and the Steelers have them pretty high on their board, then it's worth taking a QB. I'm totally okay with letting a guy sit for a few years and learn under Ben IF they feel he's the next guy.

I'd take a QB with starting potential. I don't see the guy outlined as a guy who could be an heir apparent.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If only he had been more like The Beek

200_s.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And, sadly, in no way, shape, or form the least bit surprising.

Being a football prodigy in Texas is the ultimate gateway drug. He was never held accountable for anything until he turned pro.

Also didn't help that his family is loaded. Kind of reinforced the lack of accountability.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Also didn't help that his family is loaded. Kind of reinforced the lack of accountability.

And his family doesn't hold themselves accountable in this, either. According to them it all falls on the NFL to find help for him. Some of the quotes from the Manziel family make me wince like that damn affluenza situation.

It's a perfect storm, in a sense.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
IIRC, Robo-QB took to copious weed intake to rebel against Dad and a lifetime of 24-hour football. Johnny Football just seems like a spoiled rich kid who just likes to party.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
And his family doesn't hold themselves accountable in this, either. According to them it all falls on the NFL to find help for him according to them. Some of the quotes from the Manziel family make me wince like that damn affluenza situation.

This this this.

The Manziel family created this monster. They spoiled him rotten and let him get away with everything. He gets to A&M and gets away with everything.

I don't feel sorry for Manziel one bit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And his family doesn't hold themselves accountable in this, either. According to them it all falls on the NFL to find help for him. Some of the quotes from the Manziel family make me wince like that damn affluenza situation.

Best way to put it.

I lived in Dallas when he was in high school and college, so I remember the stories about 'misunderstood' Johnny or 'coddled' Johnny.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It is not Cleveland's fault for how Manziel's career goes. That is what I disagree with Sanders on. They wanted him to succeed, but he continuously shot himself in the foot.

I do agree that his relationship with his girlfriend is toxic and inflammatory, and neither one of them can get enough of it. He's beating the **** out of her, but she's still coming back. She's very obviously setting him off, yet he's still coming back.

Unlike kids who grew up in the ghetto, Johnny Manziel didn't need a way out. He was perfectly fine being the prodigal son of College Station and having people gush all over him while his parents supported his every endeavor.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It is not Cleveland's fault for how Manziel's career goes. That is what I disagree with Sanders on. They wanted him to succeed, but he continuously shot himself in the foot.

I do agree that his relationship with his girlfriend is toxic and inflammatory, and neither one of them can get enough of it. He's beating the **** out of her, but she's still coming back. She's very obviously setting him off, yet he's still coming back.

Unlike kids who grew up in the ghetto, Johnny Manziel didn't need a way out. He was perfectly fine being the prodigal son of College Station and having people gush all over him while his parents supported his every endeavor.

Where Manziel is at personally was going to happen no matter what. Another affluenza teen, as BigMc put it best.

All that happened in Cleveland is that he was less likely to succeed on the field.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Lets go Peyton.
Really, I just want a fun game to watch. I don't really care about either team, but I like both QBs.

Best combination of drinking game rules:
When Cam Newton dabs, take a drink.
When someone at your party complains about Cam Newton dabbing, take your drink and throw it at them.

Most importantly, I have my cheese and cracker spread, I have BBQ meatballs going in the crockpot and I'm getting some buffalo chicken dip ready.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Horrible call on the Cotchery non-catch. The ball never hit the ground. And now Denver gets a defensive TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad