OT: The PittsburghER Thread: Steelers Win AFC North | Go Oregon Ducks!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
As I figured Bell is out for Saturday. Hopefully Harris and Tate can alleviate his loss somewhat.

It just got a lot tougher against the hated Ratbirds now.

Bell would get targeted against B-More it's probably for the best to let him sit. I wonder who get the receiving targets out of the backfield, Tate or Harris? I guess they might use Archer, but I just imagine him trying to block Suggs... Dude probably wouldn't even break stride as he ends Archer's life.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Bell would get targeted against B-More it's probably for the best to let him sit. I wonder who get the receiving targets out of the backfield, Tate or Harris? I guess they might use Archer, but I just imagine him trying to block Suggs... Dude probably wouldn't even break stride as he ends Archer's life.

Yeah I have been saying from the time he first got injured that he probably wouldn't play and I really didn't want him to try. I could guarantee the Rats would target that knee.

I would rather risk losing this game than risk Bell's future with us. The kid is an absolute stud.

I don't know much about Tate's ability to catch out of the back field but I'm sure he would be a better blocker for Ben than Archer. They will probably use Archer exclusively on third downs.

I was watching the Lord of the Rings the other night and as soon as I saw an Orc it reminded me of Suggs. :laugh:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah I have been saying from the time he first got injured that he probably wouldn't play and I really didn't want him to try. I could guarantee the Rats would target that knee.

I would rather risk losing this game than risk Bell's future with us. The kid is an absolute stud.

I don't know much about Tate's ability to catch out of the back field but I'm sure he would be a better blocker for Ben than Archer. They will probably use Archer exclusively on third downs.

I was watching the Lord of the Rings the other night and as soon as I saw an Orc it reminded me of Suggs. :laugh:

Bj7yRUnIUAAA2ma.jpg:medium

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Heavy rain expected for the game as well. So we have no RB to write home about and with absolutely **** weather, throwing the ball will be a real problem.

Going to have to ride #7, and the D will need to step up big time.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Looks like Pitt just went into prevent mode again. I can't tell you how much I DETEST prevent defense.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm telling you guys, Tate is a good back, we're lucky to have him all things considered. When he has a good line he's always played well. I was looking at his stats, and he doesn't catch a lot of balls. That's the biggest problem I see going into this game. Those balls Ben dumped off to Bell really helped us move the chains. If we lose, I think that will be the reason, along with our secondary getting roasted by Steve and Torrey.

Harris is the wildcard here, he could get nearly all the carries and have a break out game with 100 yds rushing and a TD. It happens all the time, maybe not in the playoffs, but of all the offensive skill positions RB is the easiest to replace (maybe not for us though). You never know what a young hungry RB like Harris could do.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Let's be realistic, in most cases the O line is more important to the running game than the running back. Most running backs in the NFL can put up good numbers behind a good line. The running game won't be much worse with Tate in there. With that said, don't expect a healthy Bell to get 100 rush yards vs Balt anyway. Balt has one of the best run D in the league.

Yes losing Bell is a huge loss, however, the biggest loss will be what he brings to the passing game.

Last edited:

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Heavy rain expected for the game as well. So we have no RB to write home about and with absolutely **** weather, throwing the ball will be a real problem.

This is just not true. I've done a good amount of research on this (fantasy football addict) and here is NOTHING that shows bad weather = worse passing / offense. The stats say it's pretty equal all around rain/snow/sun. Biggest loss is bells pass catching abilities; weather isn't gonna matter

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Eugene Monroe out for the Ravens. Undrafted left tackle James Hurst is filling in.

Who does he have to block? James Harrison.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is just not true. I've done a good amount of research on this (fantasy football addict) and here is NOTHING that shows bad weather = worse passing / offense. The stats say it's pretty equal all around rain/snow/sun. Biggest loss is bells pass catching abilities; weather isn't gonna matter

If Heinz field becomes a swamp in a playoff environment how can't it? Passing over 40 times on our field with bad weather can and probably will result in turnovers for both teams. All it takes is a receiver to slip/Ben losing control of the ball. Again, I totally agree about the loss of Bell though.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I was out to lunch with some coworkers and saw Pitt crushing Houston. It was like 31-7 as we left. I remarked that Pitt would find a way to lose.

Of course.

Being a Pitt fan is really bad for your health both physically and emotionally nowadays. But I have been with them growing up as kid so I'll stick with them. Kinda of like being a Pirates fan. I have seen the good and bad of both.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Let's be realistic, in most cases the O line is more important to the running game than the running back. Most running backs in the NFL can put up good numbers behind a good line. The running game won't be much worse with Tate in there. With that said, don't expect a healthy Bell to get 100 rush yards vs Balt anyway. Balt has one of the best run D in the league.

Yes losing Bell is a huge loss, however, the biggest loss will be what he brings to the passing game.

Yep. He was responsible for 39.6 % of the offense since week 11. No doubt his loss will hurt.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
How does PITT blow a lead like that in the fourth quarter? Wow :laugh:

Surrendered 29 points in the 4th quarter and that included two blown on sides kick recoveries. The planets must have aligned just right. :laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

You would think the weather would make it difficult to pass but I remember Ben having a huge 5 TD pass game against the Ravens in the pouring rain at Heinz Field back in 2007 or so. You never know how it will go. The weather may effect the deep passing game more. One advantage we have is Antonio Brown can take those short passes and turn them into huge plays. The Ravens seem to rely more on vertical passing to guys like Torrey Smith and hoping for completions or PI calls on those long passes.

I don't think we can run the ball on the Ravens with or without Bell. That part of it makes little difference to me. The issues are pass protection, receiving out of the backfield and fumbles. I really hope these kids replacing Bell hang onto the ball and don't fumble. Bell never fumbles. Fumbles may be a factor, especially in the weather.

Also, Pitt being Pitt today. :shakehead

Narduzzi really needs to find a way to change the culture of this program. The rest of the country was shocked a team could lose like Pitt lost today. The only people that weren't shocked were us Pittsburgher's and Pitt alums. We expect it. That needs to change.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
You would think the weather would make it difficult to pass but I remember Ben having a huge 5 TD pass game against the Ravens in the pouring rain at Heinz Field back in 2007 or so. You never know how it will go. The weather may effect the deep passing game more. One advantage we have is Antonio Brown can take those short passes and turn them into huge plays. The Ravens seem to rely more on vertical passing to guys like Torrey Smith and hoping for completions or PI calls on those long passes.

I don't think we can run the ball on the Ravens with or without Bell. That part of it makes little difference to me. The issues are pass protection, receiving out of the backfield and fumbles. I really hope these kids replacing Bell hang onto the ball and don't fumble. Bell never fumbles. Fumbles may be a factor, especially in the weather.

Also, Pitt being Pitt today. :shakehead

Narduzzi really needs to find a way to change the culture of this program. The rest of the country was shocked a team could lose like Pitt lost today. The only people that weren't shocked were us Pittsburgher's and Pitt alums. We expect it. That needs to change.

In his presser he mentioned about the culture at Pitt needs to get back to a national power that they once were. Now I don't know if that will ever happen again, but who knows? Football is the identity in the area. I'll be happy if he can build something similar to Michigan State's defense. Thats clearly the biggest issue going forward.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I watched Roth play in college and wanted him to be a Steeler more than any player I can ever recall since I started following the draft in the early 90s as a kid.

The only three players they ever took that I wanted were: Hastings, Plex and Roth

I was never nervous before a draft, but the 2004 draft I could barely sleep the night before. I wanted them to land Roth so badly, but didn't think he would get past Cleveland (most mocks had Manning and Rivers gone in the first two picks with the Stains taking Roth).

I was pacing back and forth when Cleveland was up and screaming for the Steelers to trade ahead of them. When I heard the "soldiers" name, I couldn't stop laughing. Hearing the Steelers call Roth's name was the best memory I have from any draft.

I still can't believe Cleveland took a TE over Roth. He would have been torturing us the last decade, but the Stains went all Stains.
The Browns are some kind of special. Not only did they take a TE over Ben, they traded up a spot to take a TE over Ben. :laugh:

It was also funny watching them pass on a great Ohio born QB prospect like Ben and then seeing them spend the next few years after that taking Ohio born QB busts like Charlie Frye (3rd round 2005) and Brady Quinn (1st round 2007).

In his presser he mentioned about the culture at Pitt needs to get back to a national power that they once were. Now I don't know if that will ever happen again, but who knows? Football is the identity in the area. I'll be happy if he can build something similar to Michigan State's defense. Thats clearly the biggest issue going forward.
Agreed.

I'd love Pitt to become a Michigan State clone.

Super pumped for the Steelers game!!! Can't wait.
Same.

Really hope the team can step up without Le'Veon and get the win.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Michigan State is probably about what Pitt's upside is in this collegiate landscape...and I don't think anyone would be upset with Pitt becoming an MSU clone.

And hey, don't make fun of the Browns for taking a TE over Ben, that TE was a ****ing soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad