OT: The PittsburghER Thread: Steelers Win AFC North | Go Oregon Ducks!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If we had a QB as good as Ben in the decade leading up to him being drafted we probably have 8 or 9 rings. Like clockwork that was the position that killed us in big games...I mean O'Donnell literally threw a Super Bowl away.

member 51464

Seemed like half that decade was spent with the #1 rushing game and #1 D and nobody worthwhile under center.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
If we had a QB as good as Ben in the decade leading up to him being drafted we probably have 8 or 9 rings. Like clockwork that was the position that killed us in big games...I mean O'Donnell literally threw a Super Bowl away.

He still maintains to this day that the receivers ran the wrong routes.

Larry Brown disagrees. :laugh:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

The sad reality is we had a chance to draft a guy that would have bridged much of the 2 1/2 decade gap. His name was Dan Marino. We would have won a couple of rings with him, at a minimum. There was no reason not to draft him and no doubt in my mind regarding the previous statement.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The sad reality is we had a chance to draft a guy that would have bridged much of the 2 1/2 decade gap. His name was Dan Marino. We would have won a couple of rings with him, at a minimum. There was no reason not to draft him and no doubt in my mind regarding the previous statement.

Marino slipped because of the coke rumors, apparently.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Yeah, the coke rumors. :shakehead. Oh well, that ship sailed a long time ago.

I don't live in the area anymore, so I haven't heard talk of getting rid of Ben. Those people didn't live through the list of quarterbacks someone posted above from the 80s (Cliff Stoudt didn't really get to do much since he killed his career breaking his arm on a punching bag machine). Kordell Stewart had his moments till Ds figured him out and he went Steve Blass/Sax with his accuracy (they should have beaten Denver but Stewart threw two ridiculous picks), and O'Donnell was serviceable for a few years. But none of those guys hold a candle to Ben, and frankly, Ben is way more accurate than Bradshaw was (although the WRs don't have DBs draped on them like they used to).

As far as his character goes, he got to his late 20s and got his **** together, like a lot of us. I don't hold athletes to a higher standard (insert Charles Barkley quote), unless they're murderous Ravens. Bradshaw went through his period of debauchery, and Bobby Layne pretty much played football as a break from his drinking. Anyway, I hope Ben does last another five years here. They'll be hard-pressed to find someone nearly as good.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

Watch the 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino". It explains it. Chuck Noll wanted to build like they did with mean joe and go d-line. Art Rooney wanted Marino but did what Noll wanted. Apparently the rooneys were told by Pittsburgh PD the coke rumors were false and there was no info to suggest Marino was involved in it...so blame Noll for no Marino haha.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Watch the 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino". It explains it. Chuck Noll wanted to build like they did with mean joe and go d-line. Art Rooney wanted Marino but did what Noll wanted. Apparently the rooneys were told by Pittsburgh PD the coke rumors were false and there was no info to suggest Marino was involved in it...so blame Noll for no Marino haha.

I only found out about the coke rumors maybe five years ago. So most of my life I assumed Noll blew the pick and it looks like I was right then.

It's funny how this all connects back to Roth. When Cowher the dolt wanted Andrews, Rooney basically overruled him and took Roth. Rooney must have always regretted the Marino miss I'm willing to bet.

So missing out on Marino is likely the biggest reason the Steelers drafted Roth.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I only found out about the coke rumors maybe five years ago. So most of my life I assumed Noll blew the pick and it looks like I was right then.

It's funny how this all connects back to Roth. When Cowher the dolt wanted Andrews, Rooney basically overruled him and took Roth. Rooney must have always regretted the Marino miss I'm willing to bet.

So missing out on Marino is likely the biggest reason the Steelers drafted Roth.

Cowher wanted Rivers. The big three that draft were Eli Manning, Rivers, and Rothlisberger. Ben was considered the most polished for the NFL but since he played for Miami of Ohio he wasn't rated the highest by most scouts because of the level of competition.

Archie Manning let it be known that he didn't want Eli playing in San Diego so they swapped Qb's. I think the Giants added some picks to that as well.

Before the draft it was looking like San diego was going to get Manning, the Steelers Rivers, and the Giants Rothlisberger.

Thank you Archie Manning!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Cowher wanted Rivers. The big three that draft were Eli Manning, Rivers, and Rothlisberger. Ben was considered the most polished for the NFL but since he played for Miami of Ohio he wasn't rated the highest by most scouts because of the level of competition.

Archie Manning let it be known that he didn't want Eli playing in San Diego so they swapped Qb's. I think the Giants added some picks to that as well.

Before the draft it was looking like San diego was going to get Manning, the Steelers Rivers, and the Giants Rothlisberger.

Thank you Archie Manning!

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Bill Cowher long took credit for drafting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and said at one point he was the player the Steelers wanted all along when they picked 11th in 2004.

Turns out, Cowher did not want Roethlisberger, he wanted guard/tackle Sean Andrews of Arkansas. Dan Rooney changed his mind.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect the way we had passed on Dan Marino in 1983, so I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger,'' Rooney writes in his new autobiography. "After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger. . . He was just what we needed.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...hing-style-is-more-risky/stories/200710070257

That quote was in the back of my mind earlier. I thought I had read about Rooney regretting not getting Marino as the reason he wanted Roth.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...hing-style-is-more-risky/stories/200710070257

That quote was in the back of my mind earlier. I thought I had read about Rooney regretting not getting Marino as the reason he wanted Roth.

Very Interesting.Thats not what the national media speculated but then again they weren't privy to what was really going on with the Steelers. Thats the first I have heard that Cowher did not want Rivers. Even while Rivers was still in college his name was linked to Cowher. I'm guessing because they are from the same Alma Mater. Nobody expected Rothlisberger to fall to us at 11 anyways. It was speculated that he was gonna be a Giant. Probably why Cowher wanted Andrews.

As for Marino, since there was speculation about the drugs, even if he was not actually involved the Rooney's back then were considered a very classy football family, right up there with the Maras. There is no way they would allow themselves to be linked with that kind of rumor.

True or not. Its probably one of Dan Rooney"s biggest regrets.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I remember that 2004 draft very well. I wasn't an Eli fan. He became a better NFL QB than I thought he would but I was definitely hoping for one of Rivers or Roethlisberger. I probably wanted Rivers more because I got to see more of his college games and I knew he'd be a stud in the NFL. Ben was a hell of a fallback though. I was happy either way.

There were two really big concerns about that #11 overall pick.

1. That Cowher would be content with Tommy Maddox and draft a lineman instead of a QB. Those fears were legit as it turns out (Jiggy posted the article). Thankfully Rooney learned his lesson back in the day (Marino) and he made sure we drafted the franchise QB we hadn't had since Bradshaw.

2. The Buffalo Bills were picking two spots behind us at #13. They badly needed a QB and there was a lot of buzz that they may try to jump us (trade up) to snatch the last of the 3 high first round QB's. Sort of like how the Jets jumped us to get Revis a few year later. For whatever reason they couldn't trade up in front of us and they ultimately traded for an extra late 1st round pick to get Losman instead. I was definitely sweating bullets until our pick came up though. :laugh:

I remember watching Mike and Mike the next day and Greeny said that huge gust of wind you heard yesterday was the city of Pittsburgh breathing a sigh of relief that one of those 3 QB's was still on the board. :laugh:

As far as college football. I have to give credit to Ohio State. I don't particularly like them or Urban Meyer but what he's done with his 2nd and now 3rd string QB is amazing.

New Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi and Michigan State had an amazing comeback against Baylor. His defense had a tough time against Baylor's offense but that offense was the #1 offense in the country and Michigan State still got the stops when they needed them to seal the victory.

Last edited:

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, I remember that 2004 draft very well. I wasn't an Eli fan. He became a better NFL QB than I thought he would but I was definitely hoping for one of Rivers or Roethlisberger. I probably wanted Rivers more because I got to see more of his college games and I knew he'd be a stud in the NFL. Ben was a hell of a fallback though. I was happy either way.

1. That Cowher would be content with Tommy Maddox and draft a lineman instead of a QB. Those fears were legit as it turns out (Jiggy posted the article). Thankfully Rooney learned his lesson back in the day (Marino) and he made sure we drafted the franchise QB we hadn't had since Bradshaw.

2. The Buffalo Bills were picking two spots behind us at #13. They badly needed a QB and there was a lot of buzz that they may try to jump us (trade up) to snatch the last of the 3 first round QB's. Sort of like how the Jets jumped us to get Revis a few year later. For whatever reason they couldn't trade up in front of us and they ultimately traded for an extra late 1st round pick to get Losman instead. I was definitely sweating bullets until our pick came up though. :laugh:

I remember watching Mike and Mike the next day and Greeny said that huge gust of wind you heard yesterday was the city of Pittsburgh breathing a sigh of relief that one of those 3 QB's was still on the board. :laugh:

As far as college football. I have to give credit to Ohio State. I don't particularly like them or Urban Meyer but what he's done with his 2nd and now 3rd string QB is amazing.

New Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi and Michigan State had an amazing comeback against Baylor. His defense had a tough time against Baylor's offense but that offense was the #1 offense in the country and Michigan State still got the stops when they needed them to seal the victory.

I forgot about him. There were some that were convinced he was way underrated compared to the other three. Wasn't it injuries that played a big part in derailing his career though?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I forgot about him. There were some that were convinced he was way underrated compared to the other three. Wasn't it injuries that played a big part in derailing his career though?

He broke his fibula as a rookie and had a sprained knee when he finally lost his job as Bills QB to Trent Edwards of all people a few years later. I guess injuries played a part from that standpoint. I never thought he was that great though. He had tons of talent but so did Kyle Boller when you think about it. The problem for guys like those two, Jeff George and many others is it takes more than just arm talent to be a great QB.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hate you, Big. I hate you! :laugh:

Freaking awesome game last night. I was up til about 2:30am and paying for it at work today. Just couldn't sleep after that great win. Even if they lose next Monday, it doesn't matter. They defeated their SEC demon.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Very Interesting.Thats not what the national media speculated but then again they weren't privy to what was really going on with the Steelers. Thats the first I have heard that Cowher did not want Rivers. Even while Rivers was still in college his name was linked to Cowher. I'm guessing because they are from the same Alma Mater. Nobody expected Rothlisberger to fall to us at 11 anyways. It was speculated that he was gonna be a Giant. Probably why Cowher wanted Andrews.

As for Marino, since there was speculation about the drugs, even if he was not actually involved the Rooney's back then were considered a very classy football family, right up there with the Maras. There is no way they would allow themselves to be linked with that kind of rumor.

True or not. Its probably one of Dan Rooney"s biggest regrets.

Maybe Cowher wanted Rivers, but when he was off the board decided Andrews was the guy. Roth then went and erased the legacy of big game failure from the coach who didn't want him. Ironic.

Either way, thankfully Rooney learned from the past.

Rivers is such a choke artist though and I'm glad as hell Roth is the one that slipped through. Manning only went first overall and was desired so heavily by both NY and SD because of his name.

I'm glad Manning took out Brady twice and will always have a soft spot in my heart for him because of that, but Roth is easily the best guy from this class.

2. The Buffalo Bills were picking two spots behind us at #13. They badly needed a QB and there was a lot of buzz that they may try to jump us (trade up) to snatch the last of the 3 high first round QB's. Sort of like how the Jets jumped us to get Revis a few year later. For whatever reason they couldn't trade up in front of us and they ultimately traded for an extra late 1st round pick to get Losman instead. I was definitely sweating bullets until our pick came up though. :laugh:

I watched Roth play in college and wanted him to be a Steeler more than any player I can ever recall since I started following the draft in the early 90s as a kid.

The only three players they ever took that I wanted were: Hastings, Plex and Roth

I was never nervous before a draft, but the 2004 draft I could barely sleep the night before. I wanted them to land Roth so badly, but didn't think he would get past Cleveland (most mocks had Manning and Rivers gone in the first two picks with the Stains taking Roth).

I was pacing back and forth when Cleveland was up and screaming for the Steelers to trade ahead of them. When I heard the "soldiers" name, I couldn't stop laughing. Hearing the Steelers call Roth's name was the best memory I have from any draft.

I still can't believe Cleveland took a TE over Roth. He would have been torturing us the last decade, but the Stains went all Stains.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
:D

I haven't been this happy regarding Ohio State football in a long time. Urban started the SEC dominance and he collectively ended it last night. This team is full of sophomores, they're going to be even scarier next year. National Respect is now back for the B1G and Ohio State. Great ****ing day Cole!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Amen brother. And the sophomore thing is hilarious. If they steal a championship away from Oregon, we could easily be heavy favorites in the next two years. :amazed:

Im proud regardless.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
As I figured Bell is out for Saturday. Hopefully Harris and Tate can alleviate his loss somewhat.

It just got a lot tougher against the hated Ratbirds now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad