OT: The PittsburghER Thread: Steelers Win AFC North | Go Oregon Ducks!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm still not worried about looking into Ben's replacement. Health is the only concern with him, but he's coming off his healthiest and best season so it's not like he's falling apart. Barring a catastrophic injury that could happen to anyone he's got a good 5 years of production left.

If you're going to get a successor then you basically have to do so within the first two rounds of a draft, and the Steelers can't afford to be using a 2nd round pick on a luxury. Only three full-time starting QBs were taking past the 2nd round, Russell Wilson (75th overall, so close), Tom Brady (199th), and Tony Romo (undrafted).

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ben is only 32, once he hits 36 then yeah, we need to start thinking about a replacement. Ben just put together his best season of his career. He still has a lot left in the tank. Injuries don't concern me either he's a warrior. The goal of these next few drafts should be most importantly to replenish the defense, but also in my opinion to find a dominant Gronk/Graham-lite TE. Even if we got someone like Travis Kelce that would be a huge upgrade over Heath, not that he's bad, but he's starting to decline. The best way to replace a QB is by having an elite team surrounding our replacement, similar to what we did with Ben. Now is the time to fix the defense so we can give our future QB a chance.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I'd argue QB as well. Ben isn't getting any younger and with his injury history and penchant for getting hit I don't think he'll keep up this level of performance for more than the next 3 or so years. I don't think it's necessary this year, but sometime in the next 2 drafts you have to seriously look at a long term replacement.

But the Steelers have Landry Jones. :sarcasm:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd argue QB as well. Ben isn't getting any younger and with his injury history and penchant for getting hit I don't think he'll keep up this level of performance for more than the next 3 or so years. I don't think it's necessary this year, but sometime in the next 2 drafts you have to seriously look at a long term replacement.

I don't see why there should be any worries about his injury history. He hasn't missed a game since 2012 and has only missed four games in the last four seasons.

With the new rules to protect QBs, the improved line play, an offense with an emphasis on getting the ball out faster and having a safety valve like Bell, Roth should be around for quite awhile.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I don't see why there should be any worries about his injury history. He hasn't missed a game since 2012 and has only missed four games in the last four seasons.

With the new rules to protect QBs, the improved line play, an offense with an emphasis on getting the ball out faster and having a safety valve like Bell, Roth should be around for quite awhile.

But this is Pittsburgh, so we have to hate on the star QB.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yinz know dat jagoff is jus goin dahn hill. Dis year was a anommaly ya no. Where's mike tomzack aht?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yinz know dat jagoff is jus goin dahn hill. Dis year was a anommaly ya no. Where's mike tomzack aht?

Ah agree wit ya. Dat Ben only cares 'bout dem stats a his n'at. He's like one a dem ballerina princesses like Brady and Manning. Ah say cut him and rahn dat ball like they did back with Bill Caher n'at.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wow......I guess some of you guys live with those kinds of fans, but that isn't the impression I get when it comes to Steelers and people's perception of Ben. The people I talk to realize the importance of Ben. I wouldn't take sports talk radio as a great gauge of the average fan.

Not sure if you guys believe that "yinz talk" above, or just having fun.

Or maybe just believe in Mark Madden shtick too much. He will make up something, or in the case with the made up Ben hate, exaggerate it greatly. It's all intended to rile up fans and have people call in. Yeah I guess it's entertaining, but so much of it is just created. But then I see on this site and thread, people just parrot Mark Madden to a crazy degree.

Like I said, not sure if just having fun, or if people believe that.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Wow......I guess some of you guys live with those kinds of fans, but that isn't the impression I get when it comes to Steelers and people's perception of Ben. The people I talk to realize the importance of Ben. I wouldn't take sports talk radio as a great gauge of the average fan.

Or maybe just believe in Mark Madden shtick too much. He will make up something, or in the case with the made up Ben hate, exaggerate it greatly. It's all intended to rile up fans and have people call in. Yeah I guess it's entertaining, but so much of it is just created. But then I see on this site and thread, people just parrot Mark Madden to a crazy degree.

I don't believe it's a majority of Pittsburgh sports fans, but I do believe those who are more dissenting try to be more vocal. And to be honest I don't think they just hate Ben, but they hate star QBs in general and hate how the NFL has changed its rules to favor them.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
But this is Pittsburgh, so we have to hate on the star QB.

My post had nothing to do with hate. I think he's a legit top 5 qb in the league right now. I just don't take it for granted that 5 years from now he'll be the same. 3 years (at the latest) from now, we need to have someone on board that could take over if necessary. Someone that isn't Landry Jones or Dennis Dixon.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Sadly, a bunch in Yinzer nation were all over Roth early on and midway through the season.

I lost count how many times I read/heard how the Steelers should just start over and trade Roth. Because it's so easy to find HOF QBs. I think the final 6-8 weeks shut up most of the typical Yinzers. If Roth has a bad playoffs, there is zero doubt in my mind they will turn on him again.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Yinzers love a player long after his skills no longer match the name more than get all over a player who is excelling. A few still hold Ben's immature silliness of a few years ago against him, but aside from that I do not hear many not appreciating what he brings to the table. Most remember the looooooooooooooooooooooooooong string of forgettable names at QB the Steelers had between Bradshaw and Ben.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
With improved offensive line play and having a guy like Bell...that added years on to Ben's career. If we were in the same position now that we were in 2 seasons ago, Ben would have 3 seasons left at the maximum. He was getting pulverized and had no help.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm still not worried about looking into Ben's replacement. Health is the only concern with him, but he's coming off his healthiest and best season so it's not like he's falling apart. Barring a catastrophic injury that could happen to anyone he's got a good 5 years of production left.

If you're going to get a successor then you basically have to do so within the first two rounds of a draft, and the Steelers can't afford to be using a 2nd round pick on a luxury. Only three full-time starting QBs were taking past the 2nd round, Russell Wilson (75th overall, so close), Tom Brady (199th), and Tony Romo (undrafted).

And this is really the fact of the matter. If we can get another productive 5 years out of Ben, which is possible, we would have to look into drafting a QB in 2018 or so. By that time, this team should have what it needs. We have never been in that spot though were we were drafting for luxury. There has always been one glaring hole with this team at some point in time. I was always envious of the Pats, who for years could just parlay picks a round higher in the next years draft if there is nothing there they really want or need v. just drafting the BPA. They end up finishing tops in the AFC and have 3 1st round picks to boot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Yinzers love a player long after his skills no longer match the name more than get all over a player who is excelling. A few still hold Ben's immature silliness of a few years ago against him, but aside from that I do not hear many not appreciating what he brings to the table. Most remember the looooooooooooooooooooooooooong string of forgettable names at QB the Steelers had between Bradshaw and Ben.

It's just different for the QB of the Steelers though. Bradshaw came right out and said he held a grudge agt the city for how he was treated.

I obviously can't link to the stuff I've heard, but I can easily dig up stuff from various msg boards with a fast search.

Here is an article from Oct discussing trading Roth because the chatter about it was so loud then:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2014/10/16/Bob-Smizik-24/stories/201410160262

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ben brought the negative publicity against himself. His actions in his younger days soured him amongst some fans. I get that. The problem comes in when they cannot separate him personally and professional, and in turn, he's a ****** football player because he's a ****** human being. Fact is, he's a walking HOF'er, a phenomenal football player, and we're lucky to have him.

These people with this viewpoint tend to be obnoxious, and also call into sports talk shows.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ben brought the negative publicity against himself. His actions in his younger days soured him amongst some fans. I get that. The problem comes in when they cannot separate him personally and professional, and in turn, he's a ****** football player because he's a ****** human being. Fact is, he's a walking HOF'er, a phenomenal football player, and we're lucky to have him.

These people with this viewpoint tend to be obnoxious, and also call into sports talk shows.

It's hard to know what people's agendas are. I personally am not sure if I like Roth the individual off the field from some of the stuff I've heard and read. However, I long ago stopped worrying about what kind of person these guys are. As long as they aren't flat out thugs, I'm not going to sit back and judge.

Roth seemed douchey in the past before the sexual allegations came up and he was also never proven guilty. If some Yinzers want to dislike him for that, it's their right I suppose. I have long been able to separate admiring a guys talent vs his character and understood as a young teen that athletes are very flawed and not people to look up to. They are simply entertainers.

However, the general feeling I have gotten from reading/hearing Steeler fans that wanted him traded, it had little to do with his off field actions. It seemed most of these fans thought he was getting washed up, couldn't make the big plays when they were needed, and couldn't carry this team without a great defense behind him.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And 2014 should have shut those bafoons up. Ben carried this team as the defense was below average to flat out terrible for a big portion of the year.

What is idiotic about the "hatred" for Ben is that it took the better part of 25 years to find a franchise QB after Terry. They don't grow on trees.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
And 2014 should have shut those bafoons up. Ben carried this team as the defense was below average to flat out terrible for a big portion of the year.

What is idiotic about the "hatred" for Ben is that it took the better part of 25 years to find a franchise QB after Terry. They don't grow on trees.

Some of them just hate the idea of a franchise QB and would prefer the NFL go back in time to neanderthal football.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
I'm firmly in the Ben is a great football player who was a pretty disgusting human camp and I feel like a lot of people are there with me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The good thing is that Ben has been able to "clean up" his image, if you will, since the unpleasantness. The only headlines he's making these days are related to his play on the field, and that's obviously a good thing.

I don't think anyone would call him their favorite person, but I do give him credit for taking a sincere effort to not be the poster boy of entitled bro-hood.

Anyway, I don't think too many people want him gone. The ire from before has mostly died off now, his play on the field is good, and Steelers fans are well aware of how difficult of how hard it is to find a franchise QB. The people who want him gone are the worst of the worst yinzers that want the roster to be blown up every year and miss the days when clotheslining people was legal.

fastb

Mar 26, 2006
San Mateo, CA
While boarding my flight to Pittsburgh last Friday, I passed a guy in the first row who was discussing Ben with the guy behind him. His contention was that they should get rid of Ben since "he never wins the big game." When the other guy countered with "well, he played in three Super Bowls and won two", he said that Ben only did that with Cowher's team. So these people do exist outside the Internet and they sound even more ridiculous.

On the plus side, as soon as I looked over to interject, my wife wisely gave me the "don't even start" look. :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You'll have people, not just with athletes, who will hate someone for something personal, and it will spill over into something else. People who do not like Ben personally will find anything they can about his play on the field to justify why they would like to see him gone, but if he hadn't had the bad press years ago, they would be in his jockstrap.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You'll have people, not just with athletes, who will hate someone for something personal, and it will spill over into something else. People who do not like Ben personally will find anything they can about his play on the field to justify why they would like to see him gone, but if he hadn't had the bad press years ago, they would be in his jockstrap.

I think since this team lost to Denver, there has been a growing sentiment among many Steeler fans that Roth was getting washed up.

I truly believe it was more about back to back 8-8 seasons and a shaky start to this season that was spurring the idiotic notion among the faithful, that Roth should be moved. When they were winning, I didn't hear/see much about ever trading the guy, except for the Bradford stuff.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The good thing is that Ben has been able to "clean up" his image, if you will, since the unpleasantness. The only headlines he's making these days are related to his play on the field, and that's obviously a good thing.

I don't think anyone would call him their favorite person, but I do give him credit for taking a sincere effort to not be the poster boy of entitled bro-hood.

Anyway, I don't think too many people want him gone. The ire from before has mostly died off now, his play on the field is good, and Steelers fans are well aware of how difficult of how hard it is to find a franchise QB. The people who want him gone are the worst of the worst yinzers that want the roster to be blown up every year and miss the days when clotheslining people was legal.

I completely agree. Him getting married was a good thing as it settled him down and it didn't put him into dicey situations off the field.

I loved when he was selected and have continued to support him through thick and thin. He's grown up a lot. If people want to complain about him being a jerk then fine but the guy is a hell of a football player. People act like it's easy to get to three Super Bowls let alone winning two of them. I remember the days of suffering through Stoudt, Woodley, Malone, Campbell and Brister, in the 80s. Then watching bums like Jim Miller and Kent Graham become starters later.

We should enjoy every moment of watching him perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad