OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers need a new ball thrower for the handball game thingy

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The Backyard Brawl needs to be a thing for good. Unreal game.

WVU lost that game when they didn’t go for it on fourth and inches. Pitt was really sloppy but that win felt good.

Reactions: wheelz87

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think WVU QB and their WRs were extremely good and aside from the tip-six, could have won them the game. Pitt got carved up in the running game in part because they were just pass-blitzing and didn't keep guys over the middle. I think in modern football unless you can consistently get 7 yards and not get stuffed every other play, passing game almost always trumps running game. I don't see Pitt winning more than 8 this year.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
You kidding me?

I said are you kidding me? Slovis is clear and utter trash. The guy sucks. This game wouldn't have been close if we still had Pickit.

I don’t think Slovis sucks. I think we just got spoiled with how good Pickett was last year.

I think WVU QB and their WRs were extremely good and aside from the tip-six, could have won them the game. Pitt got carved up in the running game in part because they were just pass-blitzing and didn't keep guys over the middle. I think in modern football unless you can consistently get 7 yards and not get stuffed every other play, passing game almost always trumps running game. I don't see Pitt winning more than 8 this year.

I still think they’ll go over 8 this year. Getting run over like they did was a surprise since it’s always been a strength, but I don’t expect it to be an ongoing problem.

I also expect their pass blocking and passing game to improve as the season goes on. It was the first time for a new offense playing against an actual opponent, and it was an emotional game. It’s tough to make too many judgements. Tennessee will be a big test to see where they’re at.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I also expect their pass blocking and passing game to improve as the season goes on. It was the first time for a new offense playing against an actual opponent, and it was an emotional game. It’s tough to make too many judgements. Tennessee will be a big test to see where they’re at.
The pass blocking was awesome and if anything they got away with some holes.

Slovis had no feel of pressure and escapability at all. I loved his arm though.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
As a Steelers fan from outside of Pittsburgh, any idea why the attendance was higher than Steelers game last year? Cheaper tickets? Travelling fans? I don't watch CFB much.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
As a Steelers fan from outside of Pittsburgh, any idea why the attendance was higher than Steelers game last year? Cheaper tickets? Travelling fans? I don't watch CFB much.
They allowed more standing room only tickets. Probably just wanted to increase Pitt overall attendance since they do not sell out most of their games

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
When it is a PITT game. PITT runs the stadium, thus they can do what they want, aka sell more standing room only tickets. Plus the tickets will be much cheaper than a Stillers game.

PITT wanted to set a record so they did. The previous record was set in the first PITT vs Penn State game in like 2015 or summat. Whenever they renewed the rivalry for 4 years.

PITT and WVU need to just sit down and sign a contract to play each other every year for like the next 50 years. Both fan bases love it and they just need to make it permanent.

Reactions: td_ice

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yay. Another Moral Victory for WVU. Those are sure stacking up the last like 15 years!

Bah. Those uniforms were fire, though. Most relevant thing that team has done in a long time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Agreed! And I'm a PITT fan. They looked great. I'd like to see that helmet with a dark blue jersey as well. Myabe next year's Backyard Brawl. :D

Yeah I'd like that addition.

Cool atmosphere of course. Always been a storied rivalry and I hope it continues. Pitt fans should love it since they can basically pencil in a W there every year. And yes I know WVU had no business losing that game to a lot of people's eyes. But they did. Because that's how they do.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Yeah I'd like that addition.

Cool atmosphere of course. Always been a storied rivalry and I hope it continues. Pitt fans should love it since they can basically pencil in a W there every year. And yes I know WVU had no business losing that game to a lot of people's eyes. But they did. Because that's how they do.
Prior to this game, WVU had won 3 straight v Pitt.

Reactions: Pens1566

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Prior to this game, WVU had won 3 straight v Pitt.

Yeah and that's nice and all. But it's not much of a panacea after trying to follow this team for the last however long. I admit to being a very casual fan these days but it's tough for me to even remember more than like two or three wins over ranked opponents going back to the flippin' Big East days.

Still it's a great rivalry and it should happen every year. You gotta understand that WVU football is the closest thing that state has to a "real" football team. And they are essentially doormats and also-rans for well over a decade, now. With things inevitably only going to get worse. Is what it is etc.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
Wouldn't it be great if Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Temple, Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, and some others had their own conference to play each other in all the time? It could be a big, mostly eastern conference, yeah?

A 12 team playoff is officially coming to the FBS by 2026

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Wouldn't it be great if Pitt, WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, Temple, Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, and some others had their own conference to play each other in all the time? It could be a big, mostly eastern conference, yeah?

Back in the 80s that’s what Joe PA wanted

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Isn't the geographic expansion meant to actually cover a larger swath, to get into TV network packages and charge each cable subscriber $2-3 for your channel per month? Unless I'm missing something a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast network would do little against the SEC/Big 20

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
CJ Donaldson reminds me of Michael Bush when he played for Louisville. He's going to be a fun runner to watch. Ford-Wheaton and Stills will be interesting to follow, as I think Stills in particular has some potential to climb up draft boards. He's a difference maker.

Hammond and Mumpfield are going to be PItt's offense. I think Slovis is a solid QB, but I just don't think he's good enough to will this offense to where it needs to be. If Addison were still here, it'd be a different story. Pickett had the same problems at Pitt - he had piss poor receivers that dropped a ton of passes, he held on to the ball too long which caused sacks, and he has issues with happy feet to this day because he has PTSD from some of those offensive lines he played behind.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
CJ Donaldson reminds me of Michael Bush when he played for Louisville. He's going to be a fun runner to watch. Ford-Wheaton and Stills will be interesting to follow, as I think Stills in particular has some potential to climb up draft boards. He's a difference maker.

Hammond and Mumpfield are going to be PItt's offense. I think Slovis is a solid QB, but I just don't think he's good enough to will this offense to where it needs to be. If Addison were still here, it'd be a different story. Pickett had the same problems at Pitt - he had piss poor receivers that dropped a ton of passes, he held on to the ball too long which caused sacks, and he has issues with happy feet to this day because he has PTSD from some of those offensive lines he played behind.

Man that's a great comparison for Donaldson.

Pitt needs to get Gavin Bartholomew more involved going forward I think. He was really impressive last year but only got one target against WVU which was a little weird to me. He and Mumpfield are going to be legit NFL prospects.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The sad thing about Watson is that I feel most Cleveland fans won’t give a shit what he did as long he performs well. If he starts winning, a lot will just look past him being an absolute scumbag. Obviously not everyone, but usually the hate is louder online than it is in reality. What he did was unprecedented but we’ve seen a lot of terrible people be loved by fans because they were good at football.

The organization’s behavior from start to finish has been absolutely pathetic though. I hope it blows up in their face.
I’m not sure this fan base is any position to throw shade at another franchise’s fans for overlooking a qb’s off the field behavior.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
Isn't the geographic expansion meant to actually cover a larger swath, to get into TV network packages and charge each cable subscriber $2-3 for your channel per month? Unless I'm missing something a Mid-Atlantic/Northeast network would do little against the SEC/Big 20

First, that's a big ol' whoosh

Second, of course the current expansion is about TV money. What's good for college football =/= what orientation makes the most money, in my eyes.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad