OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I've seen people talking about the 49ers only offering a 3 year deal vs. the 4 year deals he reportedly has from us, NE, CLE... which to me is not a "small hurdle".

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Yeah I like Solak's work, same guy I was talking about yesterday regarding the Fields first read stuff.

Makes a good point about how many high end contracts they're going to have to give out,
The 49ers can't have a top tackle contract (Trent Williams) and top pass rusher contract (Nick Bosa) and top defensive tackle contract (Javon Hargrave) and top linebacker contract (Fred Warner) and top running back contract (Christian McCaffrey) and top tight end contract (Kittle) when they want to carry a top quarterback contract and two top wide receiver contracts. Something's gotta give.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I like Solak's work, same guy I was talking about yesterday regarding the Fields first read stuff.

Makes a good point about how many high end contracts they're going to have to give out,

Makes you wonder how the Eagles do it. Hurts is top 10 for QBs, Barkley top 5 for RBs, Brown is 2nd with Smith in the top 10 for WRs, Goedert is top 5 for TEs, Mailata and Johnson top 5 for LT and RT respectively, Dickerson top for LG... bit ridiculous. I think there's a lot of void years on those contracts at the end but still.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The worst part is there's been so many twists I still can't go "okay, done" and just write it off without the worry it'll be back like a nasty rash.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Shefter is doing the right thing, he's staying out of the fray and not indulging in fables, half truths and out and out lies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Aiyuk was likely never coming over to any team unless it was an overpayment and the Niners knew and Aiyuk was using it as leverage for his contract negotiations. Par for the course, really.

Now back to hoping, praying the coaching staff that was recently brought in can mask enough of Tomlin's dipshit ideas and coaching philosophies to actually look good and win.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t know why people think Aiyuk is still coming here when he showed up at the Niners practice today for the first time all training camp….some people just don’t get it lol

Reactions: Coastal Kev

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I don’t know why people think Aiyuk is still coming here when he showed up at the Niners practice today for the first time all training camp….some people just don’t get it lol
He was always at camp holding in to avoid fines. It’s Trent Williams that is holding out getting fined

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I just don’t see how San Francisco pays him in addition to everyone else they have CMC,Kittle,Deebo,Warner,Bosa…. I’m sure there are others I’m missing but it just looks like Aiyuk is a “luxury” to them. Not to mention their tackle that’s holding out and paying Purdy here soon. They’re gonna have to purge their team if they resign him to what the rumored offer was of $28 million.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He was always at camp holding in to avoid fines. It’s Trent Williams that is holding out getting fined
He hasn’t been practicing prior to yesterday…I live out in the Bay Area and this is from an article from a local reporter…

“Aiyuk’s appearance at Wednesday's practice was noteworthy, as the receiver hadn't been seen on the field for weeks. Aiyuk has refused to practice until his contract status is resolved to his satisfaction. “

I just don’t see how San Francisco pays him in addition to everyone else they have CMC,Kittle,Deebo,Warner,Bosa…. I’m sure there are others I’m missing but it just looks like Aiyuk is a “luxury” to them. Not to mention their tackle that’s holding out and paying Purdy here soon. They’re gonna have to purge their team if they resign him to what the rumored offer was of $28 million.

He’s their #1 receiver…if they pay him, they’re going to get out of Deebo’s deal most likely, probably at the end of the season…Aiyuk is not a luxury, actually Deebo is the luxury

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I didn’t watch too many 49ers games but I was always under the impression that their offense ran through CMC and Deebo. It would be curious to see how he’d be as the true number 1 weapon on an offense. I mean in SF defenses have to worry about all their weapons instead of just double teaming a guy all game. I’d assume in Pittsburgh Aiyuk would see a lot of double coverage or have a teams shut down corner on him all game. Which would open up space for Pickens and vice versa.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He hasn’t been practicing prior to yesterday…I live out in the Bay Area and this is from an article from a local reporter…

“Aiyuk’s appearance at Wednesday's practice was noteworthy, as the receiver hadn't been seen on the field for weeks. Aiyuk has refused to practice until his contract status is resolved to his satisfaction. “

He’s their #1 receiver…if they pay him, they’re going to get out of Deebo’s deal most likely, probably at the end of the season…Aiyuk is not a luxury, actually Deebo is the luxury
He didn’t practice he wasn’t in uniform they are hassling over guarenteed money and years. He literally waited by the endzone

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I didn’t watch too many 49ers games but I was always under the impression that their offense ran through CMC and Deebo. It would be curious to see how he’d be as the true number 1 weapon on an offense. I mean in SF defenses have to worry about all their weapons instead of just double teaming a guy all game. I’d assume in Pittsburgh Aiyuk would see a lot of double coverage or have a teams shut down corner on him all game. Which would open up space for Pickens and vice versa.
He is the only X they have. Debo is a slot only guy who barely finishes a season healthy if Persall was healthy and showing anything in practice they would have leverage in the negotiations but the 1st round pick is hurt. Theres a reason they wanted a wr back.
He beats m2m at a 90 percent clip and is 80 percent against zone defense

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He didn’t practice he wasn’t in uniform they are hassling over guarenteed money and years. He literally waited by the endzone
He wouldn’t have been on the field if they weren’t close…he ain’t coming here…people need to move on

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The issue is that they have to make choices, and Aiyuk is the first one they have to make. They keep him, the writing is on the wall for someone else in their current core. I personally think you sign Aiyuk if you're the 9ers. You let Williams and CMC walk just because it's a game of numbers - 36 year old LT and a RB who touches the ball a bunch.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The issue is that they have to make choices, and Aiyuk is the first one they have to make. They keep him, the writing is on the wall for someone else in their current core. I personally think you sign Aiyuk if you're the 9ers. You let Williams and CMC walk just because it's a game of numbers - 36 year old LT and a RB who touches the ball a bunch.

What I don't understand is if Dan Moore is part of the package, you have to take him if you are SF. He's not a great LT, but he's decent. Trent Williams can't play forever and Moore will be a cheap alternative in the future for them.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Those are the 2 players that absolutely can not function without m. Williams is the only reason their o line wasn’t bottom 5 last year.
This is there last run they know it
Next year both debo and ward need extension to avoid their void years kicking. Ward wasn’t to test FA. They have to pay hufanga and Green law. Brooks starting g is a FA and Lenier a cb both will walk

What I don't understand is if Dan Moore is part of the package, you have to take him if you are SF. He's not a great LT, but he's decent. Trent Williams can't play forever and Moore will be a cheap alternative in the future for them.
They wouldn’t want more they need a RT and RG

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
this has just been a strange saga all the way around…
Not really…he’s trying to use his leverage to get SF to pay him…he nixed trades that would get them a WR back and “accepted” one that would force their hand without another option…he’s just been more effective than most players at getting the Niners to pony up with his strategy…

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i mean it really seems like there are two teams he will play for - the steelers or the 49ers. he expects to be paid a certain amount and that amount doesnt jive with the 49ers forwrad looking cap plans and so they can either blow up those plans and pay him or trade him to the steelers for what seems like its such a pitifully small return they are back to thinking about blowing up their cap

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think part of this is the 49ers don’t want to look stupid if they ended up trading him and not getting anything worthwhile back.

I believe it was a week ago now Schefter reported “Steelers are out” only to back track about a half hour later… he hasn’t really talked about Aiyuk since. Doesn’t want to be used as a talking head for the 49ers perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad