OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not really…he’s trying to use his leverage to get SF to pay him…he nixed trades that would get them a WR back and “accepted” one that would force their hand without another option…he’s just been more effective than most players at getting the Niners to pony up with his strategy…
And yet they still haven't paid him what he wants. Not saying they won't but to this point they haven't. If everything is hunky dory he should sign with the niners today. At least this nonsense would be over.

This whole thing is lunacy.

I think part of this is the 49ers don’t want to look stupid if they ended up trading him and not getting anything worthwhile back.

I believe it was a week ago now Schefter reported “Steelers are out” only to back track about a half hour later… he hasn’t really talked about Aiyuk since. Doesn’t want to be used as a talking head for the 49ers perhaps?
If you're going to these lengths to try and save face you shouldn't be running a professional football team then. If anything it makes them look indecisive, weak and feckless!

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
If you're going to these lengths to try and save face you shouldn't be running a professional football team then. If anything it makes them look indecisive, weak and feckless!
I totally agree **** or get off the pot.
The 49ers are acting like a crazy ex you broke up with who followed you out to your car and is trying to talk to you as you’re trying to leave.

Reactions: T1K and Ryder71

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i think the 49ers figured offers couldnt get worse after the draft which does seem like outright lunacy

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Seems to be a lot of theatrics just to retain your own player. Regardless, Frisco's got egg on their face.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really hope Fields can carve out himself as at least an average starting QB, I think you can get a lot of value out of him with an average arm and his running game. I’d prefer Fields panning out over re-signing Wilson.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe things change during the season if he actually gets to play but just based on what I’ve heard/read about Fields in camp, I think he’s shown enough that the Steelers should be interested in continuing to work with him beyond this year.
that's always been the plan. they know there is no quick fix.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Maybe things change during the season if he actually gets to play but just based on what I’ve heard/read about Fields in camp, I think he’s shown enough that the Steelers should be interested in continuing to work with him beyond this year.
Yes the plan has always been for him to be a package player while learning behind RW he is most likely the guy they bring back as a backup. If RW wins a playoff game he will want paid

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Fields panning out as an average starting QB and having a long career here is one of my least favoured outcomes. It pins the Steelers to futile mediocrity for who knows how long. Very much hope the guy makes it here big or he gets shown the door.

And the big advantage to Wilson winning is that at his age, the Steelers have to consider his future anyway. I think Wilson could actually be a great QB to draft a guy behind and let the new guy sit for a year or two, which is maybe the Steelers' best shot at a new franchise QB.

Also I don't get all this "wow I can't believe the 49ers would blow up their salary space because they can't get the trade return" stuff. There has been a massive contract offer on the table to Aiyuk all summer. They've always wanted him back for a decent period of time. The issue is that it wasn't massive enough for Aiyuk, but it was still massive. Every single contending team is trying to accumulate as much talent as possible and worry about the cap later.

Weird to me too how many Steelers fans seem angry the 49ers would try and protect their interests rather than just roll over for us. Or act like the 49ers are the only reason this is a drama when Aiyuk has thrown a massive sulk over this and the Steelers could have decided to go shopping somewhere else any time they wanted.

The issue is that they have to make choices, and Aiyuk is the first one they have to make. They keep him, the writing is on the wall for someone else in their current core. I personally think you sign Aiyuk if you're the 9ers. You let Williams and CMC walk just because it's a game of numbers - 36 year old LT and a RB who touches the ball a bunch.

49ers just re-upped CMC though, so absolutely not him. Personally, I think he's the most important player on their offence after Purdy because his versatility is key to the constant confusion Shanahan schemes for.

Reactions: td_ice and Andy99

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Fields panning out as an average starting QB and having a long career here is one of my least favoured outcomes. It pins the Steelers to futile mediocrity for who knows how long. Very much hope the guy makes it here big or he gets shown the door.

And the big advantage to Wilson winning is that at his age, the Steelers have to consider his future anyway. I think Wilson could actually be a great QB to draft a guy behind and let the new guy sit for a year or two, which is maybe the Steelers' best shot at a new franchise QB.

Also I don't get all this "wow I can't believe the 49ers would blow up their salary space because they can't get the trade return" stuff. There has been a massive contract offer on the table to Aiyuk all summer. They've always wanted him back for a decent period of time. The issue is that it wasn't massive enough for Aiyuk, but it was still massive. Every single contending team is trying to accumulate as much talent as possible and worry about the cap later.

Weird to me too how many Steelers fans seem angry the 49ers would try and protect their interests rather than just roll over for us. Or act like the 49ers are the only reason this is a drama when Aiyuk has thrown a massive sulk over this and the Steelers could have decided to go shopping somewhere else any time they wanted.

49ers just re-upped CMC though, so absolutely not him. Personally, I think he's the most important player on their offence after Purdy because his versatility is key to the constant confusion Shanahan schemes for.
The most important player to the 49ers offense is Trent Williams and it's not remotely close.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Steelers also placed DB Grayland Arnold on season ending IR. Sucks, he was reportedly having a good camp and running with the 1's in some packages. Not really a position we can afford to have anymore significant injuries at.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What I don't understand is if Dan Moore is part of the package, you have to take him if you are SF. He's not a great LT, but he's decent. Trent Williams can't play forever and Moore will be a cheap alternative in the future for them.
Dan Moore, CA3, 2nd.

Steelers also placed DB Grayland Arnold on season ending IR. Sucks, he was reportedly having a good camp and running with the 1's in some packages. Not really a position we can afford to have anymore significant injuries at.

Listening to Weidl makes me think of Dan Rooney. Colbert was kind of dry and said the same things year after year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think it depends on what we mean by "average starting QB" here. What I meant was average passing stats but with the added running game threat, which would make him an above average QB. That's pretty much just career Jalen Hurts IMO.

I'm very skeptical Fields ends up that good, but I think that's his upside if the Steelers can develop him correctly and utilize him well. I think this team can absolutely contend with Hurts at QB.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it depends on what we mean by "average starting QB" here. What I meant was average passing stats but with the added running game threat, which would make him an above average QB. That's pretty much just career Jalen Hurts IMO.

I'm very skeptical Fields ends up that good, but I think that's his upside if the Steelers can develop him correctly and utilize him well. I think this team can absolutely contend with Hurts at QB.

You will be shocked to hear average passer, above average runner doesn't move the needle with me :naughty: I think Hurts is kind of a good example of that in that the one season he's made playoff noise is the one season his numbers said above average passer, above average runner. I think the only guy who consistently makes playoff noise with numbers saying average passer, above average runner, is Josh Allen and he's just a funky cat to evaluate in terms of what he can do. I cba to go through everyone but my guess is Allen is the only active QB other than Mahomes who has a higher passer rating in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Tbh, now I think about it, I think Allen's accuracy issues and inconsistencies and what not makes him an interesting comparable with Fields. And the big difference between them is pressure situations. Not all of them, but enough. Fields gets sacked by the bucket load, Fields is maybe the worst 4th quarter QB the league has had... and Allen is the opposite. One goes in his shell, the other elevates.

And when I look at it that way I get more interested in the gamble... I don't think it's very likely they can clean that out of Fields' game, but if it's some confidence thing that can be cleaned out, I think his numbers could suddenly climb rapidly in the right scheme with the right guys. I mean, Hurts is another guy like that. Yeah there's some jank in Fields' mechanics and timing but it's not the world's biggest deal. It's the pressure. That's it. That's the obstacle.

I've also got to say when I look at it that way, I don't think he'll ever be a truly average passer. Either they can't cure it and it will always drag him down, or they can and all of a sudden he's on the right side. The odds of him being in the middle seem low. Imho and based on thirty seconds of thought and all that.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You will be shocked to hear average passer, above average runner doesn't move the needle with me :naughty: I think Hurts is kind of a good example of that in that the one season he's made playoff noise is the one season his numbers said above average passer, above average runner. I think the only guy who consistently makes playoff noise with numbers saying average passer, above average runner, is Josh Allen and he's just a funky cat to evaluate in terms of what he can do. I cba to go through everyone but my guess is Allen is the only active QB other than Mahomes who has a higher passer rating in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Tbh, now I think about it, I think Allen's accuracy issues and inconsistencies and what not makes him an interesting comparable with Fields. And the big difference between them is pressure situations. Not all of them, but enough. Fields gets sacked by the bucket load, Fields is maybe the worst 4th quarter QB the league has had... and Allen is the opposite. One goes in his shell, the other elevates.

And when I look at it that way I get more interested in the gamble... I don't think it's very likely they can clean that out of Fields' game, but if it's some confidence thing that can be cleaned out, I think his numbers could suddenly climb rapidly in the right scheme with the right guys. I mean, Hurts is another guy like that. Yeah there's some jank in Fields' mechanics and timing but it's not the world's biggest deal. It's the pressure. That's it. That's the obstacle.

I've also got to say when I look at it that way, I don't think he'll ever be a truly average passer. Either they can't cure it and it will always drag him down, or they can and all of a sudden he's on the right side. The odds of him being in the middle seem low. Imho and based on thirty seconds of thought and all that.

I ageee with this, but one extra thing I’d point out: one way to alleviate Fields’ issues with pressure is to build a damn strong OL. And they’re doing pretty much exactly that with their past 2 drafts. It’s a huge question if they can convert the draft picks into legit talent, but if they do, they may have one of the stronger OLs in the NFL. Fields’ issues while pressured suddenly become much better if you’re protecting him well,

Reactions: Peat

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I ageee with this, but one extra thing I’d point out: one way to alleviate Fields’ issues with pressure is to build a damn strong OL. And they’re doing pretty much exactly that with their past 2 drafts. It’s a huge question if they can convert the draft picks into legit talent, but if they do, they may have one of the stronger OLs in the NFL. Fields’ issues while pressured suddenly become much better if you’re protecting him well,

Put me down for Fields getting 3-5 games in relief/starter and being a disappointment/turnover machine.

I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't see how anyone can iron out the wrinkles in his game.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Would help. Have I complained this week about the Steelers not spending a little money to make things better right now on that OL? Good passing weapons will help too.

Ultimately it needs cured rather than alleviated though, to state the obvious.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I do think it's kind of funny that 90% of the QB discussion in this thread (myself included) and online has been about Fields when in all likelihood Russ is going to start more games this year. I get it, he's been injured and Fields is more exciting/polarizing/potential to be a long term play. Just feels like Russ has flown way under the radar.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

TLDR;

Biggest winner/best camp award: Van Jefferson
Biggest disappointment: Calvin Austin
Hardest worker: Payton Wilson
Biggest surprise: Justin Fields' progression
Camp darling: CB Thomas Graham Jr.
Best battle: Queen & Roberts vs the entire Steelers offense
Breakout player: Nick Herbig
Most consistent: Elandon Roberts

Biggest takeaway:
1723753503057.png

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I do think it's kind of funny that 90% of the QB discussion in this thread (myself included) and online has been about Fields when in all likelihood Russ is going to start more games this year. I get it, he's been injured and Fields is more exciting/polarizing/potential to be a long term play. Just feels like Russ has flown way under the radar.

I just think you kind of nailed why when you said Fields has the potential to be a long term play. With Wilson, I have a lot of the same concerns I have with Fields except he’s also 35 years old and on the decline.

I’m hoping he does well because it looks like it’s almost a guarantee that he’s the starter but I also thought it was a mistake to sign him in the first place.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It'll be nice to see him play a few series and have something to talk about there, even if it'll come with the heaviest of caveats.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I think it’s because Fields has had a good camp and he’s more likely to be their long-term guy than Wilson. But yeah, it’s likely a moot point for this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad