OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
His agent was talking to Kc working on a trade speculation was we would have gotten snead in return

I mean...OK? Will we ever know if that is true? I'm not playing that type of what-if game.

I never expected a great return, I do however expect in some form or fashion a viable plan in replacing him prior to moving him. It's not as if we had to move him in freakin march for pennies on the dollar. OTA's weren't for many weeks. You don't just throw away an asset like that just for the sake of doing so. That's not how you should run your team. At least see what other options are available for cryin out loud.

It wasn't just for the sake of doing so. It was because it was creating more problems than just being thin at WR. How aren't you getting this? I manage people for a living and I have cut great performers because they were difficult to work with or they weren't happy being with us. It's so much better for everyone to let that person go.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
i don't think he ever had any thought of fields at qb to start the year. imo

If you read some of the pre draft stuff when JF came out, Tomlin was absolutely in love with the guy. Rumors, but some people said he was bummed the Steelers didn't move up to draft him.

I believe MT liked the IDEA of JF starting, but his body of work/fumbles/etc. were too much to overcome.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
If you read some of the pre draft stuff when JF came out, Tomlin was absolutely in love with the guy. Rumors, but some people said he was bummed the Steelers didn't move up to draft him.

I believe MT liked the IDEA of JF starting, but his body of work/fumbles/etc. were too much to overcome.
not say'en he didn't like him' he was never going to start. you don't believe everything the coach says in the paper?

Reactions: td_ice

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Imo the work both guys did this off-season would have justified making Fields the starter if they'd wanted to. It's not like Wilson won the job clean or anything.

Reactions: The Old Master

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean...OK? Will we ever know if that is true? I'm not playing that type of what-if game.

It wasn't just for the sake of doing so. It was because it was creating more problems than just being thin at WR. How aren't you getting this? I manage people for a living and I have cut great performers because they were difficult to work with or they weren't happy being with us. It's so much better for everyone to let that person go.
Except it was the offseason and early on in that process, so he wasn't around the team. You don't just let someone go unless you have a replacement waiting. Or, at the very least don't swing for the fences without having a plan B. How you can't see Khan made a terrible gamble here without hedging his bet at least to some degree is beyond reason. We have arguably (as it stands today) the worst WR room in the league. If you think getting rid of Johnson is worth that predicament then I feel sorry for the owner or whoever hired you to be in a management position. For Khan That's bad business, a shortsighted methodology and a lack of common sense.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I mean within hours? days? of trading for Fields, Tomlin dropped that pole position line about Russ. If Fields had played lights out in the first two preseason games, then I think it would've actually been a tough decision for Tomlin. But he didn't and it allowed him to default back to his original stance.

This is typical Tomlin word salad but he's basically saying Wilson's resume and experience played a factor.

"Russ' resume is a unique one in terms of length and success," said Tomlin. "That tends to play a factor in the decision making, but not from a decision-making perspective. It's just the fruits of his labor. He's seen and done a lot, and I think that was displayed in the way he played and conducted himself."

Glass half full I have us going 9-8, and that's with a 3-1 start and a 3-3 split within the division which I think is probably optimistic. We're not going to be favored in a single game after week 10 lol. 7 wins is more likely if we do not hold serve at home within the division and lose just one of the games we are favored in.

1725041348582.png

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Except it was the offseason and early on in that process, so he wasn't around the team. You don't just let someone go unless you have a replacement waiting. Or, at the very least don't swing for the fences without having a plan B. How you can't see Khan made a terrible gamble here without hedging his bet at least to some degree is beyond reason. We have arguably (as it stands today) the worst WR room in the league. If you think getting rid of Johnson is worth that predicament then I feel sorry for the owner or whoever hired you to be in a management position. For Khan That's bad business, a shortsighted methodology and a lack of common sense.

Here's the thing. The team did a thing and everyone is telling you you're wrong. You can continue to pound your chest about how right you are and Khan is wrong...but you are wrong. Everyone knows it except for you.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Here's the thing. The team did a thing and everyone is telling you you're wrong. You can continue to pound your chest about how right you are and Khan is wrong...but you are wrong. Everyone knows it except for you.
Because you say I'm wrong holds no value. If you listen to the ppl around the NFL, and respected ones at that, unlike messageboard hacks, the vast majority believe KHAN GOT Conned.

How anyone can look at this WR room and think Khan did a credible job with it defies logic. No one would agree with that. Not anyone reputable anyhow.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Imo the work both guys did this off-season would have justified making Fields the starter if they'd wanted to. It's not like Wilson won the job clean or anything.
If you account for stadium play he didn’t. Fields had the extra game against Houston had an entire half against Buffalo 3rd string players.
Fields should have been the best player on the field in both games

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
"Russ' resume is a unique one in terms of length and success," said Tomlin. "That tends to play a factor in the decision making, but not from a decision-making perspective. It's just the fruits of his labor. He's seen and done a lot, and I think that was displayed in the way he played and conducted himself."

I'm going to fix this for Salsa salsa man.

Russ' resume is unique in terms of success and longevity. Having displayed qualities of leadership along with how he conducted himself during camp since day one. That played a factor in my decision.

I'm also a moron and I can't talk. Since 2007, my mouth moves and shit spews. That dam train ride from Minneapolis was pretty dam bumpy.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the idea that a gm who publicly seemed willing to give up a second day draft pick for a near franchise wr in a time when the position exploded in value got played because the other team blew up its entire cap seems ridiculous

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Because you say I'm wrong holds no value. If you listen to the ppl around the NFL, and respected ones at that, unlike messageboard hacks, the vast majority believe KHAN GOT Conned.

How anyone can look at this WR room and think Khan did a credible job with it defies logic. No one would agree with that. Not anyone reputable anyhow.

Lol. Everyone says you're wrong. All of the time.

Find me one single writer or media member that has said Khan got conned. I'll wait.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lol. Everyone says you're wrong. All of the time.

Find me one single writer or media member that has said Khan got conned. I'll wait.
Who's everyone? You're the only one espousing this ridiculous sentiment and you have no credibility. Also where does this current Steeler WR corp rank in the NFL? 30TH, 32HD? It's obvious to anyone he did a piss poor job on this matter. I find it hard to believe you or anyone else doesn't see it. You're not even mustering up a credible counter argument! Just that they wanted to get rid of him. Well, if you want to get rid of someone, fine, but have an apt replacement to fill the void! He didn't do that. And Khan had SIX months to remedy the matter. Or, are you too obtuse to not be able to recognize this?

Saunders, Farabaugh, Shefter and Rappaport all stated to varying degrees Khan got flatfooted here. Van Jefferson is not a credible NO 2 receiver. And that's what we're left with

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Who's everyone? You're the only one espousing this ridiculous sentiment and you have no credibility. Also where does this current Steeler WR corp rank in the NFL? 30TH, 32HD? It's obvious to anyone he did a piss poor job on this matter. I find it hard to believe you or anyone else doesn't see it. You're not even mustering up a credible counter point! Just that they wanted to get rid of him. Well, if you want to get rid of someone, fine, but have a replacement to fill the void! He didn't do that. And Khan had SIX months to do so. Or, are you too obtuse to not be able to recognize this?

Saunders, Farabaugh, Shefter and Rappaport all stated to varying degrees Khan got flatfooted here.

In a suprise last minute developing situation Khan is gonna lace em up! He's waiting for his Steelers recieving gloves in the mail.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trading DJ. Fine.
The return for DJ. Fine.
Trading DJ when they did. Fine.
Having a whole offseason to replace him. A risk, but fine.

Not actually ever replacing him...not fine.
It would be fine in there was a plan to remedy it. Clearly There wasn't.

And at a skilled position like that when we're already hard pressed to generate offense it's a precarious position Khan elected to put us in by chasing a pipe dream. It was an unforced error.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Khan is now the new reciever as stated above. He going in! Here is a pic from these weeks practice.

Face paint check
Shoulder pads check
Reciever stance check

s-l1600_6166bb33-3ffc-438d-a0aa-b3b33785061c_1024x1024.jpg
100%! Khan got egg on his face here, how someone can't see this defies reason. It was a huge mistake. I cannot believe anyone (on this matter at least) would see this as a good move.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Trading DJ. Fine.
The return for DJ. Fine.
Trading DJ when they did. Fine.
Having a whole offseason to replace him. A risk, but fine.

Not actually ever replacing him...not fine.

Yeah this doesn’t wipe out all the good I think Khan has done, but his handling of the WR group certainly deserves some criticism imo.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah this doesn’t wipe out all the good I think Khan has done, but his handling of the WR group certainly deserves some criticism imo.
I would agree in theory that it doesn't wipe out all the good. I Liked most of the other decisions he made.

However, creating a gaping hole at a skilled position in an offensive driven league without a capable alternative is a huge hurdle to overcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad