OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I definitely got my hopes up at one point, but it never made sense to me why Aiyuk would want to leave the 49ers for the Steelers. They have a mastermind offensive coach, a good young QB, he was a big part of their offense, and they were just in the Super Bowl. The Steelers have a coach that only cares about defense, an unknown QB situation especially after this year, an offense that figures to run the ball a lot, and they haven't even sniffed a playoff win in 7 years.

I think he used the Steelers to negotiate a bigger deal. I'm not mad at him for it. Players should get what they can. But, yeah, it would have been nice to have a better back up plan than Van Jefferson. I guess we'll see if Khan can pull something out of his ass.
"Pulling something out of their ass", that's the new standard that they have become under Tomlin. Look at last season, they were about to lose out when Rudolph shot of a cannon to save a respectable season; And they thank him by kicking him to the curb on a whim when RW calls. Rumor has it that Rudolph was in route to sign a new contract. There isn't some grand plan... they wanted Aiyuk to keep them cemented in mediocrity, that way all of Tomlin's boyz keep a job.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Meanwhile the hapless Steelers are picking their backside and eating it INSTEAD of finding a viable alternative! Khan being patient to THIS degree is cowardly, lazy and beneath the PITTSBURGH STEELERS LEGACY!!!!! Do your job you fat bald pig!!!! And get us a capable WR you sorry assclown or leave! :thumbd:
Wow. You've got issues my man.
You're probably one of the "adults" shoving the 8-year olds out of the way at St. Vincent to get a better spot in the autograph line at training camp. Aren't ya?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
"Pulling something out of their ass", that's the new standard that they have become under Tomlin. Look at last season, they were about to lose out when Rudolph shot of a cannon to save a respectable season; And they thank him by kicking him to the curb on a whim when RW calls. Rumor has it that Rudolph was in route to sign a new contract. There isn't some grand plan... they wanted Aiyuk to keep them cemented in mediocrity, that way all of Tomlin's boyz keep a job.
Just so you know Mason himself said he never got an offer from us

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Just so you know Mason himself said he never got an offer from us
That's what you respond to out of my post... you have to "show" I was wrong. To what purpose? yeesh

FYI, there was one report that said he was on his way to sign with the Steelers and weeks later there was a different report that they were never close. You believe which side you want.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Meh. I think Khan is trying to slap some shit together to 'win' this season to appease Rooney and Tomlin, but I'm still largely supportive of what he's done in building for the future.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Tomlin would be the perfect politician

"I met with both quarterbacks here just a few minutes ago after practice, and I informed them that Russ is QB1 going into Week 1," Tomlin said Wednesday. "It was a difficult decision, but not difficult in a negative way, to be quite honest with you. It was difficult in a positive way. The decision was difficult because of what they're capable of doing. Decision was difficult because of how they have conducted themselves as opposed to the things that they fall short in in terms of capabilities or negative conduct.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Meh. I think Khan is trying to slap some shit together to 'win' this season to appease Rooney and Tomlin, but I'm still largely supportive of what he's done in building for the future.
He's been better with the draft; that may also be some of Weidel's influence, we'll never know. I still feel they're like the Pens situation right now, trying to serve 2 masters which ends up with mediocrity.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
That's what you respond to out of my post... you have to "show" I was wrong. To what purpose? yeesh

FYI, there was one report that said he was on his way to sign with the Steelers and weeks later there was a different report that they were never close. You believe which side you want.
He is making less than Justin Fields mason is a back up Qb

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

lol..I can’t believe we’re even up to #25 in the skill department…we should be lower…only one analyst on NFL Network gave the Steelers a chance to make the playoffs…our roster is woefully lacking…young on offense, no real game breakers and overly reliant on a few “old” defensive players…think it will be a long season

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He's been better with the draft; that may also be some of Weidel's influence, we'll never know. I still feel they're like the Pens situation right now, trying to serve 2 masters which ends up with mediocrity.
He's not making short sighted moves simply to try to win this season, though. Certainly not like they did at the end of Ben's career. He's doing what he should be doing and then if something falls into their lap like Wilson and Fields did, sure.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He's not making short sighted moves simply to try to win this season, though. Certainly not like they did at the end of Ben's career. He's doing what he should be doing and then if something falls into their lap like Wilson and Fields did, sure.
Hope you're right, we'll see soon with what they do with Cam.

Also, if Minkah has another pedestrian year, he better start looking at kicking that contract to the curb as well.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Yea this is how I feel: this team isn't in "win now" mode and Khan isn't acting like it. That's why I was deep down hoping the BA thing wouldn't come to fruition. There are more effective ways to spend your money.

They are building through the draft and for this season, it's the correct approach. But be prepared for a rough season

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It seems that people are putting all of our probabilities of success on our offense. Meanwhile, we appear to have a potentially lethal defense. That alone can get you to a .500+ record. The offense only needs to be average and we may end up with 11 or 12 wins. For all the “Van Jefferson, lol” talk, he’s done nothing but look solid in the preseason. I’m more worried about Muth’s ability to come back to life and be the Heath Miller we all dreamed of. However, the success of the offense is ultimately going to come down to whether this offensive line can gel, quickly.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yea this is how I feel: this team isn't in "win now" mode and Khan isn't acting like it. That's why I was deep down hoping the BA thing wouldn't come to fruition. There are more effective ways to spend your money.

They are building through the draft and for this season, it's the correct approach. But be prepared for a rough season
I would have still taken Aiyuk. I think with him, they would have been improved at every position and OC. No excuses for Tomlin to have a rough season. Now, they'll blame everything on the WR.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Tomlin would be the perfect politician

"I met with both quarterbacks here just a few minutes ago after practice, and I informed them that Russ is QB1 going into Week 1," Tomlin said Wednesday. "It was a difficult decision, but not difficult in a negative way, to be quite honest with you. It was difficult in a positive way. The decision was difficult because of what they're capable of doing. Decision was difficult because of how they have conducted themselves as opposed to the things that they fall short in in terms of capabilities or negative conduct.
it would have just meant the coach would need to change his mind. so it was an easy no.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
All he had to do was not deal Dontae and none of this would have been an issue. No, Instead this nonsense took up the entire offseason as a saga. Khan got conned!!!!
Diontae wanted to leave. That is just how the Steelers do business. They felt it was better to allow him to leave than to erode the locker room. It's very clear that they thought he was enough of a problem.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Wow. You've got issues my man.
You're probably one of the "adults" shoving the 8-year olds out of the way at St. Vincent to get a better spot in the autograph line at training camp. Aren't ya?
Never been there and I live near murrysville.

Diontae wanted to leave. That is just how the Steelers do business. They felt it was better to allow him to leave than to erode the locker room. It's very clear that they thought he was enough of a problem.
And if that's how they do business then we're screwed! You don't just trade a malcontent WITHOUT a viable option to replace him. Nor should you give him away for a fraction of his value so early in the offseason. He wasn't around his teammates at that point, make sure you cover your ass THEN move him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Never been there and I live near murrysville.

And if that's how they do business then we're screwed! You don't just trade a malcontent WITHOUT a viable option to replace him. Nor should you give him away for a fraction of his value so early in the offseason. He wasn't around his teammates at that point, make sure you cover your ass THEN move him.

What in the world makes you think we would have returned more for Diontae? I think the return was quite good considering they didn't want him here. They did not want him impacting the locker room, specifically an already moody young WR that we need to perform desperately.

We weren't getting any great return for Diontae. That's not how the NFL works.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What in the world makes you think we would have returned more for Diontae? I think the return was quite good considering they didn't want him here. They did not want him impacting the locker room, specifically an already moody young WR that we need to perform desperately.

His agent was talking to Kc working on a trade speculation was we would have gotten snead in return

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I never expected a great return, I do however expect in some form or fashion a viable plan in replacing him prior to moving him. It's not as if we had to move him in freakin march for pennies on the dollar. OTA's weren't for many weeks. You don't just throw away an asset like that just for the sake of doing so. That's not how you should run your team. At least see what other options are available for cryin out loud.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It seems that people are putting all of our probabilities of success on our offense. Meanwhile, we appear to have a potentially lethal defense. That alone can get you to a .500+ record. The offense only needs to be average and we may end up with 11 or 12 wins. For all the “Van Jefferson, lol” talk, he’s done nothing but look solid in the preseason. I’m more worried about Muth’s ability to come back to life and be the Heath Miller we all dreamed of. However, the success of the offense is ultimately going to come down to whether this offensive line can gel, quickly.

I dunno about anyone else, but I feel like when we're talking probabilities of success, most people here are assuming the defence gives them a floor of around the .500 range and therefore the question is just how much the offence can boost the ceiling. Or, given that around .500 isn't going to feel like a success (not to me at least), it all comes down to whether the offence can grow sufficiently to be that unit which tips the balance.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I've explained it to this poster many many many times. They refuse to look at the facts and circumstances

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad