OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
It will be interesting to see how Smith uses Heyward and Washington also. Heyward is totally capable, and guys like him have a really clear space in Smith's system. Washington needs to make strides if he's going to be a TE. If he isn't going to be used in the passing game, make him a RT.

Doesn't that kind of sound like a microcosm of he world today?

If anyone is surprised by this, you haven't been paying attention. What a terrible approach to gameplanning. But again, that was never Tomlin's strong suit.

Just speaks to Tomlin's outdated approach of how the game is played today.

It usually goes something like this.

[Yt]

There defenders who are on record saying he literally tells them exactly how the game is going to be played out.

The clip I posted above is how similar the Rooney/Tomlin dynamic works.

RIP.

Who's shocked by this?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
When this play was happening, I was pissed at Ben for not checking it down to Mewelde Moore who had an easy 5 yard gain. Then when he released it I was like "that was too late, it's picked"

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Fautanu and Frazier can come in and be top 15 at their position, we should have all 5 starters in the top half of OLmen at their positions. I don't think it's far fetched for both guys to immediately come in and make a difference.

I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If Fautanu and Frazier can come in and be top 15 at their position, we should have all 5 starters in the top half of OLmen at their positions. I don't think it's far fetched for both guys to immediately come in and make a difference.

I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Yeah I’m getting a little antsy for camp to start. Hopefully people give those guys and even Jones a little bit of a grace period since young OL don’t always look great at first.

It wouldn’t be all that surprising for the line to look kind of suspect early on but turn into a top 10ish group by the end of the season.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
More than I was expecting. Not mad about that, just thought the NFL would go lighter.

Gonna be some interesting questions come week 9 about integrated player Vs rusty Sutton. Or at least so I hope. Things will be pretty ugly if he's automatically walking in.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
So what's the Slot CB plan? Let rookies hold the fort down until he returns after Game 8?
Probably Josiah Scott or UDFA Beanie Bishop (if he's any good).

More than I was expecting. Not mad about that, just thought the NFL would go lighter.

Gonna be some interesting questions come week 9 about integrated player Vs rusty Sutton. Or at least so I hope. Things will be pretty ugly if he's automatically walking in.
We have a week 9 bye so he'll at least get a little more practice before his first game in week 10. He's also allowed to participate in all of training camp and the preseason, FWIW.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
So what's the Slot CB plan? Let rookies hold the fort down until he returns after Game 8?

Beanie Bishop has apparently looked pretty impressive in OTAs so hopefully that carries over when things actually matter.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have a week 9 bye so he'll at least get a little more practice before his first game in week 10. He's also allowed to participate in all of training camp and the preseason, FWIW.

The three week window (2 weeks before end of ban + bye) is very far from nothing but at the same time, I'd still expect him to look a little like he's not been playing football for eight weeks while everybody else has.

Under a million dollar cap hit.

Really, if you set all of your morals and deserved indignation aside, it was a no risk move.

The risk is half a season with hopes and prayers at slot CB because they went with Sutton over going with an option who'd be available for all the season. Granted that option would be a good deal more expensive, but maybe that'd be better than this.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also re what happens next at slot -

Josiah Scott, Grayland Arnold, and Beanie Bishop are the three other slot guys on the roster I'm aware of. Anthony Averett has played there in the past but was a safety last season. Actually, looking closely, Arnold is listed as a S last season too by Pro Football Focus.

You could make a case for moving Donte Jackson inside and having another guy play boundary CB, like Rush or Trice, but my guess is that has no many moving parts for the Steelers and too much trust of guys who are fundamentally rookies (which I think goes against Bishop).

Personally my possibly misguided and psychotic solution is to play Payton Wilson there a ton. I don't know how different the reads are between a slot CB and a mack LB, but he's got the athleticism and tackling.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know a lot of you are sanguine about the Steelers chances this season but I just want to point out that the national media are all much much higher on our competitors…here’s an article today about actual contenders in the NFL and all three AFC North competitors were on it…hell even the Jets…no Steelers…most think the roster, and primarily the QB, isn’t good enough lol…

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I know a lot of you are sanguine about the Steelers chances this season but I just want to point out that the national media are all much much higher on our competitors…here’s an article today about actual contenders in the NFL and all three AFC North competitors were on it…hell even the Jets…no Steelers…most think the roster, and primarily the QB, isn’t good enough lol…

I won’t disagree with any list that doesn’t have this team listed as a contender, but the media obsession with the Browns is one of the strangest things to me.

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I won’t disagree with any list that doesn’t have this team listed as a contender, but the media obsession with the Browns is one of the strangest things to me.
Every media wants to be the ones who “told ya!” about the Browns so they just keep saying it hoping someday to be right.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I’m getting a little antsy for camp to start. Hopefully people give those guys and even Jones a little bit of a grace period since young OL don’t always look great at first.

It wouldn’t be all that surprising for the line to look kind of suspect early on but turn into a top 10ish group by the end of the season.

This is where my expectation and hope are at.

I don't really expect any of Fautanu, Frazier, or Jones to clearly look in the top half of starters at their position to start the year. I am hoping for rapid improvement.

There is a whole load of lego on the floor in the way the Steelers' schedule starts okay then gets vicious. I suspect the reality is they could improve a lot but still actually only look the same because all of a sudden they're playing Chris Jones and Garrett and so on.

Yeah I don't get that one. I feel like there's an assumption that Deshaun Watson is going to finally emerge as the player the Browns thought they were trading for, but that's a bit hopeful at this point.

edit: In general, I'd say the AFC North consists of three teams you don't really want to play in the regular season because they're good and go hard, but don't mind playing in the playoffs because they're not great, and the Bengals who are potentially great with a fit Burrow but aren't all that without him.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I don't disagree with the national media.

The Steelers have a lot of intriguing parts that could, if everything goes perfectly, make them a very good team.

But there are so many ifs that have to go right in key areas that the chances of that happening are between slim and none.

Reactions: Ulf5 and Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I also don't agree with the Browns love, but whatever. Just in the last 20 years I have seen more Pittsburgh stars robbed of awards that were rightfully theirs. Sid should have won 1 more MVP. Malkin should have definitely won another MVP. TJ should have had 2 more DPOYs.

And I agree with a post above that there is a lot of optimism around the team (like there is at this time every year), but this very well could go tits up in a quick way. That being said, they can start getting more aggressive in drafts to get guys they want. They have only a few holes now.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I also don't agree with the Browns love, but whatever. Just in the last 20 years I have seen more Pittsburgh stars robbed of awards that were rightfully theirs. Sid should have won 1 more MVP. Malkin should have definitely won another MVP. TJ should have had 2 more DPOYs.

And I agree with a post above that there is a lot of optimism around the team (like there is at this time every year), but this very well could go tits up in a quick way. That being said, they can start getting more aggressive in drafts to get guys they want. They have only a few holes now.
They still have a ton of holes. Next year they need to rebuild the Dline and still need cb2 and depth long term

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd also add that if this is what this thread looks like when people are sanguine about the Steelers' chances, I'd hate to see how negative we'd be if we weren't.

Unless Andy means "most people are sanguine about the Steelers not really having a chance this season".

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They still have a ton of holes. Next year they need to rebuild the Dline and still need cb2 and depth long term

They really don't. The DL can be upgraded but if Leal and Loudermilk are players, that line should be just fine this season. CB we definitely need. We could use a safety opposite Minkah and a WR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad