OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
An old player so far past his prime he's almost a net negative mentions a Pittsburgh team-> a bunch of idiots come out and say they wouldn't mind if he signed. A tale as old as time.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pat Pete on a cheap deal would be fine. He cannot be the starter outside but he wasn’t terrible last year when he was in the hybrid slot/safety role. And he’s a great vet for JPJ to learn from.
And it sounds like he is at the point of accepting a very reasonable deal given how he is buttering up Tomlin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pat Pete on a cheap deal would be fine. He cannot be the starter outside but he wasn’t terrible last year when he was in the hybrid slot/safety role. And he’s a great vet for JPJ to learn from.

Yeah my thought with Peterson is that he's not really a slot guy, but if others would disagree and consider him a viable slot CB, I'd be fine with bringing him in.

He just can't be a man coverage CB.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That’s actually very cool for the city. It’s one of those events that looks absolutely miserable to attend though :laugh:
It won't be worse than any other big event. Much less than the fourth of July traffic for instance.

I will be there. We have season tickets and it should be fun. If only to see the costumed adults dressing up for the camera like it is the Price is Right.

Reactions: PartyatMarios

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Yeah this is going to be the largest event in the history of the city. Think the last Steelers parade got around ~250k, and this should top that. Seems like they're going to hold it on the North Shore by Stage AE and the stadium and maybe some stuff at the point?

Edit: Allegheny County execs are conservatively estimating 300-350k

Yeah my thought with Peterson is that he's not really a slot guy, but if others would disagree and consider him a viable slot CB, I'd be fine with bringing him in.

He just can't be a man coverage CB.
Cam Sutton is still out there. Steelers have reportedly spoke with him twice since he was released.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be curious to see a breakdown of Peterson's stats over the season based on role. He was dead meat as CB1. As CB2, I stopped noticing him so much, but I dunno if that means he was good. No idea how he went in the slot. Liked him well enough at S except he couldn't tackle that well.

Given that I'm expecting the last CB brought in to be crap, having his experience does at least mean he can add something other than hopefully not being too bad.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Yeah this is going to be the largest event in the history of the city. Think the last Steelers parade got around ~250k, and this should top that. Seems like they're going to hold it on the North Shore by Stage AE and the stadium and maybe some stuff at the point?

Edit: Allegheny County execs are conservatively estimating 300-350k

Cam Sutton is still out there. Steelers have reportedly spoke with him twice since he was released.
I will certainly be one of them. I love the draft and there is no way I will miss the event. They will most likely close off all of the North Shore. They are going to turn that entire area into one giant spectacle.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Does it make sense to report on and award MLB players based on what league their team belongs to?

In my mind, the idea of leagues is thrown out the window outside of the post season with all the inter league play,

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Russ Wilson has the same douche gene as Ben.

I will certainly be one of them. I love the draft and there is no way I will miss the event. They will most likely close off all of the North Shore. They are going to turn that entire area into one giant spectacle.

I'm curious if they will have the Arena district done by then and they hold it at PPG. It's also way easier getting out of the arena than the North Shore, imo.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm curious if they will have the Arena district done by then and they hold it at PPG. It's also way easier getting out of the arena than the North Shore, imo.

Zero chance they hold the NFL Draft next to the hockey arena and on the other side of the city from the Football Stadium.

And the Arena feels like it is easier because there is only 17k people there.......it will not be easier when there is 200k people.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
Zero chance they hold the NFL Draft next to the hockey arena and on the other side of the city from the Football Stadium.

And the Arena feels like it is easier because there is only 17k people there.......it will not be easier when there is 200k people.
It's the NFL draft. They are 100% going to have it next to Heinz Field. They want the view of the city in the backdrop. It's going to be all of the North Shore without a doubt.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

If they have 200.000 people Acrisure Stadium won't work either. It holds 68,400 people. Even adding half the filled for seating, it still wouldn't work. And certainly wouldn't be allowed by the fire code.

I am not sure where in Pittsburgh you could safely have 200,000 people plus for an event. The Pens did have an estimated 650,000 for their parade though.

Although that is a parade, so covered a route rather than one area.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
If they have 200.000 people Acrisure Stadium won't work either. It holds 68,400 people. Even adding half the filled for seating, it still wouldn't work. And certainly wouldn't be allowed by the fire code.

I am not sure where in Pittsburgh you could safely have 200,000 people plus for an event. The Pens did have an estimated 650,000 for their parade though.

Although that is a parade, so covered a route rather than one area.
Think I saw some report they're planning on holding it outside the south endzone entrance. Somewhere around here:
1716487305005.png

Also incorporating point state park somehow.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean they never hold it in actual stadiums, right? They do it outside with a stage like it's a giant gig or festival or something.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I mean they never hold it in actual stadiums, right? They do it outside with a stage like it's a giant gig or festival or something.
Ever since they took it on the road after Radio City Music Hall, yeah.

Ed Gainey is saying he's predicting a million people to come, LOL

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ever since they took it on the road after Radio City Music Hall, yeah.

Ed Gainey is saying he's predicting a million people to come, LOL
Politicians ove promising. That's something new.

Three River's Stadium was torn down in 2001. It was paid off in 2010.

I ignore anything a politician says as white noise.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Politicians ove promising. That's something new.

Three River's Stadium was torn down in 2001. It was paid off in 2010.

I ignore anything a politician says as white noise.
Yeah I think a million is insane, he's just trying to make headlines. Pittsburgh is equidistant to a lot of other NFL markets though, so I could imagine tons of outside fans making the drive/flight.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A million sounded whackadoodle to me until I saw Detroit's official number was 775,000. Adding 25% of that is hella ambitious but not actually insane.

I dunno the city's infrastructure can handle that many tourists but we'll find out.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
A million sounded whackadoodle to me until I saw Detroit's official number was 775,000. Adding 25% of that is hella ambitious but not actually insane.

I dunno the city's infrastructure can handle that many tourists but we'll find out.
I feel like lodging would be the biggest roadblock to 1 million but IDK. There can't be more than like 35k hotel rooms in the city

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I feel like lodging would be the biggest roadblock to 1 million but IDK. There can't be more than like 35k hotel rooms in the city

This times a billion. There is no way there is enough hotel rooms.

These are the cities within a 6 hour drive:

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
NYC
Buffalo
DC
Charlotte
Indianapolis

That is 11 cities and 12 teams within a 6 hour drive. Detroit had 6 cities/teams within a 6 hour drive.

This could definitely get nutty.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
This times a billion. There is no way there is enough hotel rooms.

These are the cities within a 6 hour drive:

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
NYC
Buffalo
DC
Charlotte
Indianapolis

That is 11 cities and 12 teams within a 6 hour drive. Detroit had 6 cities/teams within a 6 hour drive.

This could definitely get nutty.
The weekend of the Taylor Swift concerts last summer the nearest hotel rooms that were available were in Erie and Steubenville, Ohio. And those held 70,000 a night. This would be 10x that.

"Honey, we're making the house into an Airbnb next April..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad