OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like lodging would be the biggest roadblock to 1 million but IDK. There can't be more than like 35k hotel rooms in the city

18k in Allegheny County as of last year apparently. 6k of them downtown.

But then apparently Detroit only has 6k downtown hotel rooms too.

You'd like to believe that if we can all see this, so can the people who've prepared for this bid and they've got some ideas on how it'll work. How many people downtown, how many people staying somewhere like Monroeville and getting a cab in, and so on. I wonder if they are betting on transplants ringing up their siblings and cousins and going "hey, can I use your spare room for the draft".

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

You'd like to believe that if we can all see this, so can the people who've prepared for this bid and they've got some ideas on how it'll work. How many people downtown, how many people staying somewhere like Monroeville and getting a cab in, and so on. I wonder if they are betting on transplants ringing up their siblings and cousins and going "hey, can I use your spare room for the draft".

Hell some people might have to stay and make the drive from Wheeling

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

I'm going to set the over/under at like 300k (Obligatory not a civil planning engineer)

2015, Chicago: 200,000
2016, Chicago: 225,000
2017, Philadelphia: 250,000
2018, Dallas: 200,000
2019, Nashville: 600,000
2020: Virtual
2021, Cleveland: 160,000
2022, Las Vegas: 300,000
2023, Kansas City: 312,000
2024, Detroit: 775,000

Reactions: Peat

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
This times a billion. There is no way there is enough hotel rooms.

These are the cities within a 6 hour drive:

Cleveland
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Detroit
Chicago
NYC
Buffalo
DC
Charlotte
Indianapolis

That is 11 cities and 12 teams within a 6 hour drive. Detroit had 6 cities/teams within a 6 hour drive.

This could definitely get nutty.

Your chance to rent out your guest room for $500/night.

Visit Pittsburgh president and CEO Jared Bachar said there are 18,000 hotel rooms in Allegheny County and 6,000 from the North Shore to Station Square and said it's all about planning ahead. May 31, 2023

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Reactions: chizzler

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm going to set the over/under at like 300k (Obligatory not a civil planning engineer)

2015, Chicago: 200,000
2016, Chicago: 225,000
2017, Philadelphia: 250,000
2018, Dallas: 200,000
2019, Nashville: 600,000
2020: Virtual
2021, Cleveland: 160,000
2022, Las Vegas: 300,000
2023, Kansas City: 312,000
2024, Detroit: 775,000

I didn't realise Detroit was such an outlier :laugh: which raises all sorts of questions

But yeah, I can't see a million with those numbers over the last decade. I wouldn't be surprised if they did really well though. I feel like if you're betting on a fanbase to mobilize, the Steelers aren't a bad bet.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Very sad. Became like watching a car wreck in later years.

I am not sure if it is proof of the dangers of CTE or if he simply was an ass.
He’s absolutely an ass

Yeah this is going to be the largest event in the history of the city. Think the last Steelers parade got around ~250k, and this should top that. Seems like they're going to hold it on the North Shore by Stage AE and the stadium and maybe some stuff at the point?

Edit: Allegheny County execs are conservatively estimating 300-350k

Cam Sutton is still out there. Steelers have reportedly spoke with him twice since he was released.
Pens Stanley Cup parade in 2017 was estimated at 650k

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Pretty scintillating stuff here from MM - recently friends of his had charity events in which Mark normally would’ve been invited but wasn’t because the athletes involved don’t like him.

And here’s the real kicker - in one of them, the event could have benefited more with Mark’s presence than the athlete’s presence.

A lot of his haters and certain athletes don’t understand that he is a big deal and doesn’t need them.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
If KC and Green Bay can hold the draft, then Pittsburgh certainly can do it too. It's not just hotel rooms, it's also air BnB's. And many people will stay in surrounding areas like Cranberry and Greensburg which are outside of Allegheny County.

Reactions: Factorial

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I can definitely see Steelers Nation rallying around this event and it will provide the opportunity for people to come home and visit relatives and for fans to visit for the first time. And this will be something that all the franchises will be bidding for so this event will not be back around for 20+ years.

No doubt the Steelers will not be trading their first round pick in the 2026 draft.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Zero chance they hold the NFL Draft next to the hockey arena and on the other side of the city from the Football Stadium.

And the Arena feels like it is easier because there is only 17k people there.......it will not be easier when there is 200k people.
Other side of the city? It's across a bridge, man. You can be at PPG from Heinz in like 3 mins. I work in Northside and I'm a STH. I do the drive all of the time. Rush hour on the Ft Pitt Bridge, I'm still at the game in 15 mins.

I think Point State Park makes the most sense. No venue can handle that volume of people in Pittsburgh.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Pretty scintillating stuff here from MM - recently friends of his had charity events in which Mark normally would’ve been invited but wasn’t because the athletes involved don’t like him.

And here’s the real kicker - in one of them, the event could have benefited more with Mark’s presence than the athlete’s presence.

A lot of his haters and certain athletes don’t understand that he is a big deal and doesn’t need them.

Nobody cares.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can definitely see Steelers Nation rallying around this event and it will provide the opportunity for people to come home and visit relatives and for fans to visit for the first time. And this will be something that all the franchises will be bidding for so this event will not be back around for 20+ years.

No doubt the Steelers will not be trading their first round pick in the 2026 draft.

Not only will they not be trading that pick, I'd bet on them picking a QB first round.

Well, that or being an ascending exciting team that has people excited to be associated with the team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not only will they not be trading that pick, I'd bet on them picking a QB first round.

Well, that or being an ascending exciting team that has people excited to be associated with the team.
I have my doubts about a QB pick.

Mostly because the team is simply too good to draft high enough to pick anyone who wouldn't be very flawed and an unlikely upgrade.

Face it, absent very rare exceptions, that I am sure that people will point to, you don't get a franchise quarterback without a deep crash and burn and top ten pick.

Do you see this team doing that after Khan-Weidl had the drafts that they did the last couple of years?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Mostly because the team is simply too good to draft high enough to pick anyone who wouldn't be very flawed and an unlikely upgrade.

Face it, absent very rare exceptions, that I am sure that people will point to, you don't get a franchise quarterback without a deep crash and burn and top ten pick.

Do you see this team doing that after Khan-Weidl had the drafts that they did the last couple of years?

I don’t think they’ll pick high enough on their own, but would a big trade up shock you? Not much about Khan screams patience so I’d be surprised if he isn’t really aggressive in going after a QB.

Maybe Fields or Wilson will magically solve the QB situation though and it won’t be necessary.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

You're not far wrong as far as it goes.

But the rarity cuts both ways. It's just as rare, if not rarer, to find a franchise QB outside the draft. The current guys are long shots to beat.

Which means the Steelers need to try and buck the trend somewhere.

My guess is that the most likely single option is that by 2026, the Steelers have run out of patience with trying to get a franchise QB from FA/trade and are back at the draft. As xlm points out, they can trade up if they want to improve their odds. Or maybe they'll try their luck further back.

Either way, there's a lot of other ways it can run, but I feel like it's pretty likely. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL and Steelers hadn't thought of this part.

Also, tangentially, but I can see pretty easy crash and burn scenarios. An injury to Watt is the obvious one. I think Tomlin's done a really good job in avoiding the crash and burn when it could have very easily happened with this roster, but there was also some luck involved and luck doesn't last forever.

I've also seen the Steelers destroy post-draft optimism pretty quickly too. This team is where it is because a number of well thought of drafts didn't hold up when it came to crunch time. I'm already a little wary about whether Broderick Jones will develop as desired and suspicious that the bet on Darnell Washington developing into an all round force won't pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad