GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
So a player not touching the ball means he doesn't exert any energy?
There's route running, there's blocking, there's getting bumped.

Just because you don't touch the ball and get tackled, doesn't mean your body isn't taking a pounding.

I mean sure there’s some energy expended but I don’t think running a check down route is really all that difficult for an athlete like Harris to do. And I don’t think 5 less snaps a game is really going to be the difference between him staying healthy and him getting injured.

Last edited:

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
We aren't going anywhere this season without Najee taking us there. I don't care if he is well rested just so he can watch the playoffs from his living room. We need to ride him until the wheels fall off for this team to have any chance this year.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I mean sure there’s some energy expended but I don’t think running a check down route is really all that difficult for an athlete like Harris to do. And I don’t think 5 less snaps a game is really going to be the difference between him staying healthy and him getting injured.

Ok, let me know when you don't want to keep moving the goalposts

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Ok, let me know when you don't want to keep moving the goalposts

My original post was about touches and you responded with snap counts. Sooo…yeah.

Edit: I was curious about actual snap counts so I looked them up for this year. Najee is averaging around 57 snaps per game. Henry, Kamara, a healthy Cook, a healthy Barkley, and a healthy CMC were averaging anywhere from 50-54 snaps a game. So Najee is still on the field a lot. But that much more than other backs like him? Not really.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
After doing some research, I learned Ingram's snap count was a lot more than I originally thought so I retract criticism I gave Tomlin earlier in the week for usage. Ingram is just a jag off.

But 89% snaps for Harris is ridiculous. FFS get a 2nd back.

Reactions: Pengwins

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I looked up the touches the other day. From my memory, Henry was by far the leader. He was on pace for like 500 touches which is insane. He's now hurt. Harris is second despite already having his team's bye week. Kamara was close to Harris and also had his bye, but they just traded for Ingram because they realized he was getting too many touches. Then were a couple guys who have played an extra game. Zeke was of course up there as well, but he's still on pace for like 70 less touches than Harris.

Between Bell and Conner, you think they would have realized the importance of a) not running your #1 RB into the ground or b) having an adequate backup in case your #1 does get hurt.

Reactions: Night Shift

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The only game I really found ridiculous with Harris was the Bengals game. He shouldn’t be getting dump offs from Ben in a hopeless game.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Harris is taking 89% of the offensive snaps.

Derrick Henry, the workhorse - mid 70% Only one game over 80%
Ez Elliot - 72% - First game of the season 83%......has not been over 75% in the last 6 games
Kamara - 81% -
Dalvin Cook - 74-77%
Chubb - not one game over 60%
Jonathan Taylor - only one game over 70% - the last game that went OT.
Mixon - only one game over 80%
Aaron Jones - only 2 games over 70 % - Single game high of 73%

Correct me if I'm wrong but,
Henry, injured, out for season.
Elliot, hurt ribs, limited due to this.
Kamara, had a running QB, leads to less running plays. QB's hurt, look for more touches.
Cook, he was hurt for 2 weeks, ankle is the problem and is still dealing with it.
Chubb, he was hurt for 2 weeks, calf is the problem
Mixon, as Burrows attempts have increaseds, Mixons has decreased.
Jones, he was limited in practice for 4 straight weeks.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
My original post was about touches and you responded with snap counts. Sooo…yeah.

Edit: I was curious about actual snap counts so I looked them up for this year. Najee is averaging around 57 snaps per game. Henry, Kamara, a healthy Cook, a healthy Barkley, and a healthy CMC were averaging anywhere from 50-54 snaps a game. So Najee is still on the field a lot. But that much more than other backs like him? Not really.

And I outlined why touches is a poor metric to measure wear/tear.

How many non contact injuries do you see in a given NFL year? And if Harris is asked to pass block, there's additional contact.

Ever have a shift in hockey where you don't touch the puck and still come to the bench winded? But I suppose that's not wear and tear either...

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
And I outlined why touches is a poor metric to measure wear/tear.

How many non contact injuries do you see in a given NFL year? And if Harris is asked to pass block, there's additional contact.

Ever have a shift in hockey where you don't touch the puck and still come to the bench winded? But I suppose that's not wear and tear either...

We’re gonna compare it to a shift in hockey now? Really? :laugh:

I don’t really agree with using snap count as the measure, but if you do I think it makes a lot more sense to use actual snap count vs percentage. He’s on the field only slightly more than a lot of other workhorse type running backs. The Bengals game is the outlier really and I admit that his usage then was ridiculous.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Ruggs isn't going to skate by on this with good lawyers. Those speed and BAC numbers are first ballot hall of fame criminal.
I hope you're right. the locals are still upset over a 19 yr UNLV recruit HS basketball star who got into a wreck last last year and killed someone while High.
the grand jury failed to indict criminal charges and now the scumbag and his (scumbag) lawyer are appealing

UPDATE: Prized UNLV recruit faces DUI charge in fatal crash after marijuana found in car | KLAS

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
We should have kept Conner as backup RB. He is worlds better than the 3 bozos we have now.
If they coulda, they shoulda.

Conner probably knows how RB's are used here and realized after they drafted Harris that he wasn't going to get many touches, though. So if he had any say in the matter, he might not have wanted to stay (I admittedly don't know much about the NFL salary cap/contract stuff. Too convoluted for me).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm surprised they didn't find a taker for Ebron before the deadline. Gentry and Freiermuth should be the pair going forward.

I'm also not shocked at the amount of snaps Najee gets. The issue is we need him in there because if any other back is in, defense knows it's pass, and Ben is dead. At least if Najee is in there, there is a potential of a run.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I'm surprised they didn't find a taker for Ebron before the deadline. Gentry and Freiermuth should be the pair going forward.

I'm also not shocked at the amount of snaps Najee gets. The issue is we need him in there because if any other back is in, defense knows it's pass, and Ben is dead. At least if Najee is in there, there is a potential of a run.
I am not teams watch tape and know he can’t block or catch. I thought maybe Greenbay would be interested since tonyan tore his ACL. Ebron is still hurt

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Hey guys how are the Steelers going to almost lose to the Bears on Monday?

Smoke

Aug 2, 2005
PA

Great, now Captain Fatf*** has an excuse for being inept.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Tomlin is 0-3 all time vs Chicago. I don't think it will stay a trend because Chicagos oline is that bad. They lose here, it's on him.

Smoke

Aug 2, 2005
PA
I don't know how I feel about Baker Mayfield slinging it around without Beckham in the lineup.

Mayfield is an average QB but Beckham is an even worse WR.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't know how I feel about Baker Mayfield slinging it around without Beckham in the lineup.

Mayfield is an average QB but Beckham is an even worse WR.

Mayfield looks pretty good today…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad