OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 5 and 2 Justin who? Hand the Fields to Wilson

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Whatever it takes for the team to win 9 games. I trust Mike Tom…

I cant even write that in jest.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I think it's really odd to decide to go with the pocket passer over the scrambler considering the strengths of the Jets. But it's not unusual that Tomlin doesn't make smart tactical decisions, so I'm not surprised.

It would make a lot more sense to me to give Fields up until the bye week and let Wilson take over after the bye, if you're going to go to Wilson eventually.

Wilson's not a pocket passer though. Hopefully he's a better one than Fields but he too is a scrambler. And while the word is he's lost his legs a little and is therefore worse at it, I'd point out that his yards per scramble as a runner last season beat Fields' yards per scramble this season.

Tbh, I doubt that this change really affects how they think they're going to beat the Jets. They're still going to run it a ton. Wilson probably uses more checkdowns and throws on the run than scrambles, but he'll probably scramble some just like Fields ran some. The passing game will be used to sow just enough doubt to let the run game work (they hope) and for occasional daggers when the Jets sell out to stop it (they hope).

They just think Wilson's brain will let him run that better than Fields. I have my doubts but that's what they want.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Wilson's not a pocket passer though. Hopefully he's a better one than Fields but he too is a scrambler. And while the word is he's lost his legs a little and is therefore worse at it, I'd point out that his yards per scramble as a runner last season beat Fields' yards per scramble this season.

Tbh, I doubt that this change really affects how they think they're going to beat the Jets. They're still going to run it a ton. Wilson probably uses more checkdowns and throws on the run than scrambles, but he'll probably scramble some just like Fields ran some. The passing game will be used to sow just enough doubt to let the run game work (they hope) and for occasional daggers when the Jets sell out to stop it (they hope).

They just think Wilson's brain will let him run that better than Fields. I have my doubts but that's what they want.

I think they believe something different will happen: that Wilson's brain will allow them to open the passing game up a bit more than Fields has. Wilson will be captain checkdown much like KP8 was, but be more efficient. Not sure we'll see much deep ball stuff.

Not sure either QB is going to be appreciably better than the other. Same dog, just with different fleas.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

This is actually a great quote by Tomlin that I roll my eyes at because it’s completely opposite of how Tomlin operates.

Everything he says is total bullshit. He uses catchphrases and $10 words to deflect from the fact he doesn't get results.

One of the hallmarks of a narcissist, which Tomlin is certainly, is his petulance when pressed by people who have at times asked tougher questions. It doesn't happen often which should allow Tomlin to handle the occasional heat. But he acts like a child regardless. He is a snotty human who is an all time great drive by Ben/Holmes away from not having a SB to his name. He hasn't been a great coach in more than a decade. I used to believe he was. Been a long, long time now.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think they believe something different will happen: that Wilson's brain will allow them to open the passing game up a bit more than Fields has. Wilson will be captain checkdown much like KP8 was, but be more efficient. Not sure we'll see much deep ball stuff.

Not sure either QB is going to be appreciably better than the other. Same dog, just with different fleas.

I mean obviously they hope something different will happen.

But what I mean is that I don't think they want the different thing to radically change how they play. They want the passing game to open up, but I think they still intend to run it 20+ times a game and to try and keep the QB under 30 attempts. I'd expect to see plenty of deep balls in general as that's what Smith likes and that's what Wilson likes but also, yeah, lots of checkdowns and short passes.

Basically a lot of the same stuff, only better.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Everything he says is total bullshit. He uses catchphrases and $10 words to deflect from the fact he doesn't get results.

One of the hallmarks of a narcissist, which Tomlin is certainly, is his petulance when pressed by people who have at times asked tougher questions. It doesn't happen often which should allow Tomlin to handle the occasional heat. But he acts like a child regardless. He is a snotty human who is an all time great drive by Ben/Holmes away from not having a SB to his name. He hasn't been a great coach in more than a decade. I used to believe he was. Been a long, long time now.
The goal is to win in the playoffs. You might be down 10 against Buffalo in the playoffs like they were with Mason.
Do you think Fields or Wilson is better equipped to handle the comeback

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The goal is to win in the playoffs. You might be down 10 against Buffalo in the playoffs like they were with Mason.
Do you think Fields or Wilson is better equipped to handle the comeback

Why are we needing to comeback?

This is such a lame angle.

You don't pull a guy who has the team 4-2, who isn't turning it over, and has duel threat ability. Fields is what the league has been trending towards for years. Is he as good as Wilson throwing the ball? Probably not. Certainly not if we're talking prime Wilson. But this ain't prime Wilson.

I hope Wilson balls out. I really do. I want the team to succeed despite the fraud we have coaching the team. But I think Wilson gets killed, IF the line performs as it has for Fields.

Wilson can get the ball out quicker? So what. We don't have multiple separators at WR or a coach (HC and OC actually) who wants to actually throw the football, certainly not much between the hash marks.

Fields is basically pacing CJ Stroud this year in overall offensive impact for his team. Pulling that for a guy in his late 30's?

Not doing it until Fields actively hurts us with turnovers/complete lack of production.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i do agree that the march to mediocrity means that you do the safest possible thing which basically eliminates any chance of greatness, meaning you need to get unbelievably lucky over and over and to win in the playoffs against teams that are really tying to be great. thats a feature of tomlin, not a bug and i would frankly rather watch a crappy team thats trying to find an edge in a hypercompetitive league. fields has shown he has an arm and the legs to win in this league, a serious team would be pouring every resource they can find into coaching him up

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah that’s the thought I keep coming back to as well, and just shows how Tomlin is content with mediocrity. Regardless of how likely you want to argue it is, Fields is young enough that there could be some level of unreached potential that he has. Wilson doesn’t have that, simply because he’s old and not what he once was. Their current talent levels aren’t that different, so it just feels super shortsighted to go with the old guy.

This team has terrible risk/reward evaluation skills. They’ll take known mediocrity over the risk of being slightly worse but with the reward of potentially being way better.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Khan is starting to look really bad. His 1st rounder had injury questions when drafted, he got too cute with the Aiyuk fiasco. Still hasn't found an apt replacement for Johnson. And while the offense has improved slightly, this is a very unremarkable team.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Why are we needing to comeback?

This is such a lame angle.

You don't pull a guy who has the team 4-2, who isn't turning it over, and has duel threat ability. Fields is what the league has been trending towards for years. Is he as good as Wilson throwing the ball? Probably not. Certainly not if we're talking prime Wilson. But this ain't prime Wilson.

I hope Wilson balls out. I really do. I want the team to succeed despite the fraud we have coaching the team. But I think Wilson gets killed, IF the line performs as it has for Fields.

Wilson can get the ball out quicker? So what. We don't have multiple separators at WR or a coach (HC and OC actually) who wants to actually throw the football, certainly not much between the hash marks.

Fields is basically pacing CJ Stroud this year in overall offensive impact for his team. Pulling that for a guy in his late 30's?

Not doing it until Fields actively hurts us with turnovers/complete lack of production.
He isn’t turning ball over but leads the nfl in fumbles. He had 2 interceptions dropped against Dallas and another over turned against Vegas. In 4 out of 6 starts he hasn’t thrown for 165 yards. He isn’t a threat to throw teams consistently play zone and make him a passer just like we do to Lamar. He isn’t even Daniel Jones as a passer in the nfl.
He still gets confused pre snap and doesn’t understand who he has hot he changed snap counts against Vegas and didn’t make sure jones heard it. Only 1 wr as a td reception after 6 weeks as the starting Qb.
Watch the all 22 he ignores ca3 and Muth often even after staring them down.
He can still run and have packages
45 starts and 2, 300 yards passing games in his career theres not enough in the passing game

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Khan is starting to look really bad. His 1st rounder had injury questions when drafted, he got too cute with the Aiyuk fiasco. Still hasn't found an apt replacements for Johnson. And while the offense has improved slightly, this is a very unremarkable team.

Patrick Queen has also been mediocre at best.

The WR situation was self-inflicted and stupid.

Reactions: Pens x and Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah that’s the thought I keep coming back to as well, and just shows how Tomlin is content with mediocrity. Regardless of how likely you want to argue it is, Fields is young enough that there could be some level of unreached potential that he has. Wilson doesn’t have that, simply because he’s old and not what he once was. Their current talent levels aren’t that different, so it just feels super shortsighted to go with the old guy.

This team has terrible risk/reward evaluation skills. They’ll take known mediocrity over the risk of being slightly worse but with the reward of potentially being way better.

This assumes Tomlin shares our assessment of the players. I think all the statements and reports coming out of Pittsburgh since they signed Wilson is Tomlin doesn't think Wilson is washed, he thinks Wilson has just been used really badly and there's a real shot at getting him back to his old self.

I don't really agree with that but I don't think anyone turning to Wilson with that evaluation is content with mediocrity.

And tbh I think the odds that SB form Wilson still exists and can be rescued are probably better than the odds of creating a SB form Fields when it comes down to reward. Smaller window but likelier to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad