OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Moore has to be moved inside, and I think if they do that, he is capable of playing to a Pro Bowl caliber. It sounds insane, but he is actually a skilled lineman, but the things he doesn't do well all get exposed as a LT. He would probably even be a decent enough RT, but to me, he's a G all day long.
They tried him at Rt his rookie year during camp and he was extremely uncomfortable and struggled with it

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

We’ll see if it actually happens but this is somewhat encouraging. A big part of me thought they’d view the OL in a similar way that they viewed Canada.

Grabbing the exact quote on this from Kaboly's article:

"Rooney: I think that we did get better as the season went on, and that’s encouraging. But we’re not going to say we can’t improve. I mean, we’re going to look for ways to improve. I think overall, consistency is something we could do better with. We had some guys that were a little inconsistent, and we’ve got to do better in that regard."

When you start talking about inconsistent guys on the unit, it's Dotson and Moore. Dotson is well documentated; Moore took a long time to get going. Okorafor hasn't exactly covered himself in glory but it's hard to find the big "you just put us in a hole" slips that Dotson and Moore have.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Moore has to be moved inside, and I think if they do that, he is capable of playing to a Pro Bowl caliber. It sounds insane, but he is actually a skilled lineman, but the things he doesn't do well all get exposed as a LT. He would probably even be a decent enough RT, but to me, he's a G all day long.

It’s worth a shot. Moore gets a lot of shit, but at the end of the day he really isn’t bad considering he was a fourth round pick. If he can play guard and fill in somewhat decently at LT in the case of injury, that’s not a bad player at all.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe I'm being over conservative, but I'd hate to see us going into next season with Dan Moore starting at LG in his first stint since high school. Give him training camp reps to see if he can do it with the idea he'll back up both positions sure, but if the idea is to keep improving the line it seems to make far more sense to target some guys who know the position a hell of a lot better.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Translation: I'm not paying that guy to sit at home and then having to pay another guy to do the job.
Sad but true

My stance on Canada at this point is that any decision they make with the offense should be entirely focused on maximizing Pickett. Keeping Canada for next year allows Pickett to focus on improving his areas of weakness in the near term and then he can learn a new offense with a new OC when he's more prepared after next year. I think that's a legitimate argument to consider here, would having a new OC plus having Pickett focus on improving his clear weaknesses overwhelm him?

I don't know the answer to that by the way, I'm not defending keeping Canada. But I think there is a completely justifiable case based on wanting stability for Pickett and have him focus on improving his skills.
He’s a horrible coach though. You aren’t maximizing any player under him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They tried him at Rt his rookie year during camp and he was extremely uncomfortable and struggled with it
I know he played all 5 positions at A&M. I don't recall him ever getting a shot at RT, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. What I do remember is Chuks sucking so bad they started Moore at LT because he was lesser of the two evils.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It’s worth a shot. Moore gets a lot of shit, but at the end of the day he really isn’t bad considering he was a fourth round pick. If he can play guard and fill in somewhat decently at LT in the case of injury, that’s not a bad player at all.
The thing that concerns me with Moore is the same thing that concerns me with Green - they not only get very little push, they get blown WAY back. Green specifically I would never believe he was 315 pounds with the way he gets moved around.

Dotson has really fallen off, but I think a lot of that reason is because of Moore.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I know he played all 5 positions at A&M. I don't recall him ever getting a shot at RT, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. What I do remember is Chuks sucking so bad they started Moore at LT because he was lesser of the two evils.
No the original plan was chucks at LT and banner at RT since chucks is a natural LT. Moore was supposed to be the swing ot as a rookie he played 70 snaps at lt and Rt but was way more consistent and comfortable at LT.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s crazy that the team’s “strong” finish of the season convinced a lot of people all is well. Was there another team that had an easier schedule in the second half of the season?

Great, the defense looked better against the Browns, 2 games without Jackson, Atlanta and Carolina.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s crazy that the team’s “strong” finish of the season convinced a lot of people all is well. Was there another team that had an easier schedule in the second half of the season?

Great, the defense looked better against the Browns, 2 games without Jackson, Atlanta and Carolina.

I have seen more people who understand they played crap teams and a bunch of crap QBs down the stretch, than vice versa.

All that matters is AR2 was duped again, but he is loath to change, so he will look for any excuse to justify having to make tough decisions.

It’s a pattern we have seen with him time and again.

Basically he convinces himself mediocrity is winning football because he fears change and avg football without playoff success has now become the ‘Steeler Way’.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who is next in line to ruin I mean run the team from Rooney family? Arty boy is 70 years old - maybe there is hope he will want to take more of a back seat. Though, I doubt he puts in a full work day very often.

Laziness and complacency = stable franchise

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Who is next in line to ruin I mean run the team from Rooney family? Arty boy is 70 years old - maybe there is hope he will want to take more of a back seat. Though, I doubt he puts in a full work day very often.

So timely article by huge Tomlin apologist Cook:

I’m just having a hard time giving so much weight to the Steelers’ 7-2 finish. How much do you factor the competition into the improvement? They beat teams such as New Orleans, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Carolina and Las Vegas down the stretch. Earlier in the season, they showed in blowout losses to Buffalo and Philadelphia that they are miles and

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So timely article by huge Tomlin apologist Cook:

I do think a rematch against Buffalo in the playoffs would’ve been much better and closer than the 1st game.
For the 2nd year in a row they won more games than vegas thought they would have. They have a young offense that is lead by a football film junkie and a guy who knows what his strengths are and his weaknesses. Just by adding play action and having both DJ and GP run more slants and posts having DJ running more crossers in the slot the offense will look better.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I do think a rematch against Buffalo in the playoffs would’ve been much better and closer than the 1st game.
For the 2nd year in a row they won more games than vegas thought they would have. They have a young offense that is lead by a football film junkie and a guy who knows what his strengths are and his weaknesses. Just by adding play action and having both DJ and GP run more slants and posts having DJ running more crossers in the slot the offense will look better.

They haven’t let up less than 35 points in their last four playoff games, and I doubt their offense would have scored more than 20-23.

Pretty sure it would have been bad, but not as bad as last time I guess.

The offense next season will have a second year KP who I’m sure will work his ass off all spring and summer so he can master the O.

Seems obvious the offense will get better than being a bottom dweller offense.

That doesn’t mean it will be able to compete with the arms race in the AFC, which is why you wanted to see this org not pat themselves on the back for being mediocre and beating crap teams.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Art's son - Dan Martin Rooney. From what I've read, he's kind of an interesting guy. Ivy League educated, but much like his grand father, he has worked all over the organization in business, coaching, and scouting. I don't recall Art II ever being much involved in anything football related.

Reactions: Pens x

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They haven’t let up less than 35 points in their last four playoff games, and I doubt their offense would have scored more than 20-23.

Pretty sure it would have been bad, but not as bad as last time I guess.

The offense next season will have a second year KP who I’m sure will work his ass off all spring and summer so he can master the O.

Seems obvious the offense will get better than being a bottom dweller offense.

That doesn’t mean it will be able to compete with the arms race in the AFC, which is why you wanted to see this org not pat themselves on the back for being mediocre and beating crap teams.
Allen was a turnover machine down the stretch they lost there only pass rusher and their o line was terrible forcing them to be Allen or bust. Like the ravens with Lamar. The dolphins scored 24 points with Skyler at Qb on offense

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Allen was a turnover machine down the stretch they lost there only pass rusher and their o line was terrible forcing them to be Allen or bust. Like the ravens with Lamar. The dolphins scored 24 points with Skyler at Qb on offense

I’m well aware of Allen’s late season struggles (6 picks in last 5).

Still can’t discount the reality that the Steelers under Tomlin have set historical playoff records for defensive ineptitude over their last four.

Going into a playoff game in Buffalo with Tomlin would be a disaster in itself, add in Canada and a rookie QB and I’m fairly certain you are looking at a 17-21 point ass beating.

Reactions: td_ice

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I’m well aware of Allen’s late season struggles (6 picks in last 5).

Still can’t discount the reality that the Steelers under Tomlin have set historical playoff records for defensive ineptitude over their last four.

Going into a playoff game in Buffalo with Tomlin would be a disaster in itself, add in Canada and a rookie QB and I’m fairly certain you are looking at a 17-21 point ass beating.
Most of the defense ineptitude comes directly from his HOF Qb turnovers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Most of the defense ineptitude comes directly from his HOF Qb turnovers.

Ya, I already easily debunked this argument with actual facts, going through each game, pointing out exactly how the D fell apart over and over that had zilch to do with any turnovers.

So not going over it again because you simply refuse to acknowledge that reality.

Amazing how other playoff Ds can overcome turnovers and not fall apart, like when the Bucs carried Brady past GB to the SB when he played like absolute ass and threw three picks.

Just saw Jax do it agt a great QB after Lawrence tossed four picks.

Tomlin’s D in the playoffs hasn’t been able to stop anyone in the last four games, and I’m 100% sure they wouldn’t have stopped Allen at home.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Reactions: Pens x

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well what do you know. Wasn't a poster ITT thread assuring us, as if we're idiots, that Mitch wouldn't be coming back?

He still may not be back but it goes to show berating other posters on speculation is silly.

Well what do you know, words straight from the man’s mouth he regrets signing with the Steelers.

How did that convo earlier go… oh right, MT felt screwed and likely regrets signing with the Steelers.

Hmm….

So you just posted a bunch of links filled with excuses why Tomlin has gone 10 of the last 12 years without a playoff win?

This somehow proves they would have done well in Buffalo?

Because uh, excuses always add up to playoff wins right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad