OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
#Cowboys DC Dan Quinn informed interested teams that he is staying in Dallas, per sources.

Quinn was a top candidate for the #Cardinals’ head coaching job and also interviewed with the #Colts and #Broncos. But his heart is in Dallas and he wants to win a Super Bowl there. Brian Flores step right up in Arizona

more like they are extremely cheap asses and didn't want to dish out too much money
not cheap, STUPID as f*** yes

Reactions: Pengwins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is not me condoning keeping Canada, but the one silver lining of him staying is that Pickett will have the same offense next year, so at least he isn't starting all over and he can focus on getting better outside of the offensive scheme v. learning a completely new offense.

My stance on Canada at this point is that any decision they make with the offense should be entirely focused on maximizing Pickett. Keeping Canada for next year allows Pickett to focus on improving his areas of weakness in the near term and then he can learn a new offense with a new OC when he's more prepared after next year. I think that's a legitimate argument to consider here, would having a new OC plus having Pickett focus on improving his clear weaknesses overwhelm him?

I don't know the answer to that by the way, I'm not defending keeping Canada. But I think there is a completely justifiable case based on wanting stability for Pickett and have him focus on improving his skills.

I posted this before reading your comment, but spot on.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That could play into the Steelers hands (pun intended) like it did with KP.

Rashawn Slater fell to the Chargers at 13 and he was considered by a lot of people to be the top LT in his class.

He fell because of the same issues with Skoronski. Short arms. Not enough length. Is he a guard in the NFL? Robble robble.

Now he’s one of the best young LT in the league.
People are measurable whores with LT's. Not going to say arm length doesn't help the cause, but from everything I've read, Skoronski is one of the most technically sound tackles that has come along in a while, and he has been one of the better tackles PFF has graded. I think he can overcome short arms.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Plex was one of my favorite players. Was super pumped when he came back at the end.

Plex came back? The f***?

Looked it up… he had 43 yards in 2012. That would explain it.

People are measurable whores with LT's. Not going to say arm length doesn't help the cause, but from everything I've read, Skoronski is one of the most technically sound tackles that has come along in a while, and he has been one of the better tackles PFF has graded. I think he can overcome short arms.

I suspect a lot of ppl may regret passing on him if this indeed happens.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

Yea at the end of the year and he was supposed to play the next season, but tore his rotator cuff then retired. That part was a bummer.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Mike Webster was once asked about his being drafted so late because he was supposedly too short to play in the NFL.

He answered, and I am paraphrasing, that when the guy in front of him was knocked on his ass he looked ten feet tall.

The NFL has always let measuarables and minute supposed imperfections blind them to talent and talk them out of choosing obvious choices.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I agree. Technique can overcome a lot. Look at Linderbaum this season. That dude is sub-300 taking on nose tackles without issue.

Mike Webster was once asked about his being drafted so late because he was supposedly too short to play in the NFL.

He answered, and I am paraphrasing, that when the guy in front of him was knocked on his ass he looked ten feet tall.

The NFL has always let measuarables and minute supposed imperfections blind them to talent and talk them out of choosing obvious choices.

I think C in particular is a spot where you can take a guy who has sub-par measurables if they have awesome technique. Everyone has things that they look at when scouting players, for IOL, I always lean towards wrestlers. For T I always lean towards guys who played basketball.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Would have been way less embarrassing if he did that in his first pre-season game and not when it counted.

Agt the Ravens no less.

No one told him it wasn't college anymore, but it's not his fault, he didn't know the gun was loaded.

Honestly, I was right there with ya. I loved that they picked Plex. At the time it seemed like he could be our Randy Moss.

And after the Troy Edwards fiasco, I was glad to see it didn't cloud their judgement. Still can't believe they passed on Javon Kearse for him. It is right up there with the Pens not taking Forsberg. Looking back on it though, if they take Kearse in Round 1, they probably don't take Joey Porter in the 3rd round. But being wrong in Round 1 is far more egregious than being wrong in Round 3.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

We’ll see if it actually happens but this is somewhat encouraging. A big part of me thought they’d view the OL in a similar way that they viewed Canada.

Reactions: Peat

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Honestly, I was right there with ya. I loved that they picked Plex. At the time it seemed like he could be our Randy Moss.

And after the Troy Edwards fiasco, I was glad to see it didn't cloud their judgement. Still can't believe they passed on Javon Kearse for him. It is right up there with the Pens not taking Forsberg. Looking back on it though, if they take Kearse in Round 1, they probably don't take Joey Porter in the 3rd round. But being wrong in Round 1 is far more egregious than being wrong in Round 3.

That still should not have precluded them from taking Porter in R3 if they ranked him that high.
There's tons of ways to skin a cat/build a team. Having 2 monster EDGE rushers would have been fun to see.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
That still should not have precluded them from taking Porter in R3 if they ranked him that high.
There's tons of ways to skin a cat/build a team. Having 2 monster EDGE rushers would have been fun to see.

They already had Jason Gildon, who had 11 sacks the year before. He was the other monster. Carlos Emmons was the other OLB and he was like 7th round pick, and he never really turned into anything. The Gildon/Kearse combination would have been amazing to see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

We’ll see if it actually happens but this is somewhat encouraging. A big part of me thought they’d view the OL in a similar way that they viewed Canada.

Interesting to think about what the second OL position would be to upgrade if they do upgrade more than one.

LT is obvious but they spent decent money on everyone else on their OL. Moore and Okorafor were the weakest rated OL on PFF last year, so those two make the most sense to replace, but Okorafor is signed to a $30 million contract right now. I'm kinda skeptical they'd move on from him.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Interesting to think about what the second OL position would be to upgrade if they do upgrade more than one.

LT is obvious but they spent decent money on everyone else on their OL. Moore and Okorafor were the weakest rated OL on PFF last year, so those two make the most sense to replace, but Okorafor is signed to a $30 million contract right now. I'm kinda skeptical they'd move on from him.

99% sure it would be replacing Dotson. I don’t think the coaching staff is that big of a fan of him. There were rumors two years ago that they weren’t happy with him during camp. Then this year they gave Green every chance to win the job.

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Dotson is the guy they really want to replace and Moore is the guy they’ll replace if they can.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think Dotson is the other obvious victim. Yeah, he had a good PFF rating, and I think you could see him doing the good things, but he also did a number of stupid things and is one year away from coming off his rookie contract so it's time to think about whether you want to pay him, which seems an easy no.

Oh and the stuff xlm said I didn't even think about.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
LG is the other position. There is lots of fire out there that Tomlin hates Dotson but just had no-one else to play this season. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if they take Torrence in Round 1 and then take a OT with one of the 2nd Round picks. Looks like @xlm34 stated the same.

The other option is to go OT in the first and then someone like John Michael Schmitz in the 2nd and then he can play LG, or move Cole to LG and have Schmitz play C.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Dotson is the other obvious victim. Yeah, he had a good PFF rating, and I think you could see him doing the good things, but he also did a number of stupid things and is one year away from coming off his rookie contract so it's time to think about whether you want to pay him, which seems an easy no.

Oh and the stuff xlm said I didn't even think about.

99% sure it would be replacing Dotson. I don’t think the coaching staff is that big of a fan of him. There were rumors two years ago that they weren’t happy with him during camp. Then this year they gave Green every chance to win the job.

I wouldn’t be totally surprised if Dotson is the guy they really want to replace and Moore is the guy they’ll replace if they can.
LG is the other position. There is lots of fire out there that Tomlin hates Dotson but just had no-one else to play this season.

Thus it wouldn't surprise me if they take Torrence in Round 1 and then take a OT with one of the 2nd Round picks.

Looks like @xlm34 stated the same.

Yeah this all makes sense, thanks for the explanation. It's also worth pointing out that while Dotson wasn't as bad as Moore or Okorafor on PFF, he also wasn't particularly that good either. He was at a 65.4 overall, gave up 4 sacks and took 12 penalties, that's not particularly great. Those 12 penalties were tied for 2nd among guards I believe.

Replacing Moore and Dotson would make sense to me.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
LG is the other position. There is lots of fire out there that Tomlin hates Dotson but just had no-one else to play this season.

Thus it wouldn't surprise me if they take Torrence in Round 1 and then take a OT with one of the 2nd Round picks.

Looks like @xlm34 stated the same.

They could slide Moore inside if they got a LT.

He played guard in high school and it may be a better fit for him, as he’s just not athletic enough to be a T.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The other thing with Dotson is that he was the guy that was pretty much responsible for both of the concussions that Pickett had. So inconsistencies are something that you can live with, but when they lead to your rookie QB getting knocked out of games, you’re gonna get noticed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd add Dotson's injury history while piling on. Didn't come up last season but did the previous two and not really a guy to trust at present.

Also, the OL depth isn't all that. I think Moore and Okorafor are the only two tackles on the roster, you pretty much have to add a guy anyway. Also suggests that if they get a guy to upgrade on Moore, making him a swing tackle back up would make at least as much sense as kicking him inside. They're probably light a back up IOL too if Hassenauer isn't coming back either. Not entirely sure how much they believe in Green at this point.

Reactions: xlm34

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
LG is the other position. There is lots of fire out there that Tomlin hates Dotson but just had no-one else to play this season. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if they take Torrence in Round 1 and then take a OT with one of the 2nd Round picks. Looks like @xlm34 stated the same.

The other option is to go OT in the first and then someone like John Michael Schmitz in the 2nd and then he can play LG, or move Cole to LG and have Schmitz play C.

If they take a Guard with their first pick and not OT, I'm gonna be livid

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Moore has to be moved inside, and I think if they do that, he is capable of playing to a Pro Bowl caliber. It sounds insane, but he is actually a skilled lineman, but the things he doesn't do well all get exposed as a LT. He would probably even be a decent enough RT, but to me, he's a G all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad