OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Heyward definitely won’t fit into the new window if it opens with KP.

Maybe if a vampire bites him or some shit.

Watt is starting to get injury prone and he turns 29 next season, so not sure if he will fit into the new window either unless it opens within the next year or two.

They will need to find a great DL and superstar rush LB to fill their shoes, which shouldn’t be too hard.
Cam has 2 years left i see no reason why he doesn’t finish his career in Pittsburgh. They will definitely invest on the DL in FA. I still think in JJ wants to play in august he will be a Steeler.

I don’t think they are winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years but anything is possible

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Cam has 2 years left i see no reason why he doesn’t finish his career in Pittsburgh. They will definitely invest on the DL in FA. I still think in JJ wants to play in august he will be a Steeler.

I don’t think they are winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years but anything is possible

The only way they win a SB anytime soon is if KP becomes a star.

If he does, that means he will get a mega deal, making it much harder to build a complete team.

So their best window is probably in 2-3 yrs, which I don’t see Heyward around, or the player he is now… maybe a reserve who can spell guys.

Watt who knows, but most great pass rushers do their best damage on the right side of 30, not after.

Severely doubt TJ will be the impact player he is now when they are ready to make a SB push.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Becoming a bigger and bigger Drew Sanders fan after Steelers Depot article today. Is it crazy to like his tape more than Simpson? Because I do.

Brugler's top 15 by position has Sanders ahead of Simpson, so you're not alone.

Other small wrinkles of possible interest -

He has Skoronski as IOL, not OT.

He has Kelee Ringo as 6th CB. Maybe not an ideal guy for the Steelers given how much development he needs, but there's a real chance for someone to gain great value on an athlete.

Has Addison at top WR.

Sees Edge, CB, and TE as the well stocked positions in the draft.

Conversely, with Skoronski listed as IOL, that leaves just two OTs and two DLs that consistently show up in the 1st round of mocks.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The only way they win a SB anytime soon is if KP becomes a star.

If he does, that means he will get a mega deal, making it much harder to build a complete team.

So their best window is probably in 2-3 yrs, which I don’t see Heyward around, or the player he is now… maybe a reserve who can spell guys.

Watt who knows, but most great pass rushers do their best damage on the right side of 30, not after.

Severely doubt TJ will be the impact player he is now when they are ready to make a SB push.
Maybe next year is the year Canada unleashes the ultimate offense? I'll continue dreaming that he's been holding back to keep my sanity. I'll wait til week 1 of more of the same to rip our offense again.

KP should take a nice step regardless. If we won 9 this year looking like garbage and Watt out...I don't see why a double digit last wild card season is out of question.

My guess is we sneak in and lose to the Bengals in the WC next year.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't have a problem with the Steelers hiring Leftwich to be Passing Game Coordinator. It would mean they are starting to think like a 21st Century team.

I believe that he will get an OC job somewhere else but if he doesn't, they should have already reached out to him and told him they have a role for him and to gauge his interest.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe next year is the year Canada unleashes the ultimate offense? I'll continue dreaming that he's been holding back to keep my sanity. I'll wait til week 1 of more of the same to rip our offense again.

KP should take a nice step regardless. If we won 9 this year looking like garbage and Watt out...I don't see why a double digit last wild card season is out of question.

My guess is we sneak in and lose to the Bengals in the WC next year.

Seeing how the Eagles are built so well on both lines gives me hope with Weidl aboard the Steelers will move in that direction.

That philosophy should greatly aid their rebuild.

As for Canada, the red flags are all over with this guy, but I’m trying to convince myself he will get better or something I guess.

I don’t actually believe that yet, but I’m open to the possibility it can happen.

If you give Canada enough talent he can’t f*** it up mantra is my hope… but again that happened with Tomlin and he found numerous ways to f*** up.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Seeing how the Eagles are built so well on both lines gives me hope with Weidl aboard the Steelers will move in that direction.

That philosophy should greatly aid their rebuild.

As for Canada, the red flags are all over with this guy, but I’m trying to convince myself he will get better or something I guess.

I don’t actually believe that yet, but I’m open to the possibility it can happen.

If you give Canada enough talent he can’t f*** it up mantra is my hope… but again that happened with Tomlin and he found numerous ways to f*** up.
You sure you want to tempt the Gods on on the Canada can't f*** it up

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
That's a dumb take. Other teams study what plays are run. If Canada comes into next season with the same playbook, we are toast
Moats said most nfl teams run the same plays and only really have 20 plays they call. Cowher use to love running the ball when the other team knew it was coming and couldn’t stop it

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Updated Athletic consensus big board is out

They've got the top three WRs in the top 15 which makes the board look far happier. According to this, potentially available at

17OA - Bryan Bresee (one pick before), Christian Gonzalez (at 17), Trenton Simpson, Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison. Jones and Harrison are 24 and 28 respectively which maybe even opens the space for a small trade down.

32OA - Siaka Iki and O'Cyrus Torrence are off the board the two picks before so maybe still there; Noah Sewell at ILB is 32; nearest CBs are Devon Witherspoon and Clark Philipps; Gervon Dexter is there at DT; Drew Sanders is at 40; Josh Downs is there at WR

49OA - Dawand Jones goes at 46 for OT, with Cody Mauch and Jaelyn Duncan close by; Rashee Rice and Zay Flowers put just before, with Kayshon Boutte for WR; Darnell Washington just before at TE; Tuli Tuipulotu is at 49, with Lukas van Ness just after for DT; Henry To'o To'o and Mazi Smith are also both available to mention another couple of regular draft crushes here.

Huge pinch of salt at this point in the process but that feels like some pretty good choices available without having to move much.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's a dumb take. Other teams study what plays are run. If Canada comes into next season with the same playbook, we are toast

Where did I even write he will keep the playbook the same?

The entire point of my post was maybe he will evolve.

It’s kind of mental midget gymnastics to think Canada will keep everything exactly the same.

He’s going to change things he and his staff see fit, and most importantly apply his two years of NFL experience to be a better playcaller.

I have little confidence he can do it as of today, but there is always a chance he will grow along with his young offense.

Put in simple terms, we have to hope for the best , but hard not to expect the worst.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

They've got the top three WRs in the top 15 which makes the board look far happier. According to this, potentially available at

17OA - Bryan Bresee (one pick before), Christian Gonzalez (at 17), Trenton Simpson, Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison. Jones and Harrison are 24 and 28 respectively which maybe even opens the space for a small trade down.

32OA - Siaka Iki and O'Cyrus Torrence are off the board the two picks before so maybe still there; Noah Sewell at ILB is 32; nearest CBs are Devon Witherspoon and Clark Philipps; Gervon Dexter is there at DT; Drew Sanders is at 40; Josh Downs is there at WR

49OA - Dawand Jones goes at 46 for OT, with Cody Mauch and Jaelyn Duncan close by; Rashee Rice and Zay Flowers put just before, with Kayshon Boutte for WR; Darnell Washington just before at TE; Tuli Tuipulotu is at 49, with Lukas van Ness just after for DT; Henry To'o To'o and Mazi Smith are also both available to mention another couple of regular draft crushes here.

Huge pinch of salt at this point in the process but that feels like some pretty good choices available without having to move much.

It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens with Bresee. On paper he fits what the Steelers need right and could be an eventual Heyward replacement, but from what I’m reading about him, he seems like he’s a boom or bust kind of prospect.

He’s a crazy athlete for his size but never seemed to produce like he should. I’ve seen a lot of Clemson fans wonder why he’s so highly regarded.

Looking at the rest of those rankings, if they could somehow get Jones and Witherspoon, that’d be amazing. It seems like both may be big risers though.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Canada is a shit OC but anyone acting like he's not going to change anything with the play calling is insane.

There is one absolutely massive reason that the playbook will be different next year. They're going forward with Pickett as their QB, so Canada can spend the off-season working with Pickett on developing a playbook. They went into last year with Trubisky as the starter, so I think the play calling was more focused on him. Going forward, he'll be making the playbook based on Pickett. They'll throw out the stuff that was for Trubisky that doesn't work for Pickett and look to replace it with stuff suited for Pickett. For example, designed QB runs (not just scrambles or sneaks) would be something I'd expect to see more of next year. I also think the offense was intentionally directed to be conservative from Tomlin. Maybe Pickett in his second year lets Tomlin support a more aggressive offense.

Will he be competent as a play caller? I doubt it, but it will definitely be different with focused on trying to maximize Pickett's talents going forward.

Reactions: Pengwins

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Canada is a shit OC but anyone acting like he's not going to change anything with the play calling is insane.

There is one absolutely massive reason that the playbook will be different next year. They're going forward with Pickett as their QB, so Canada can spend the off-season working with Pickett on developing a playbook. They went into last year with Trubisky as the starter, so I think the play calling was more focused on him. Going forward, he'll be making the playbook based on Pickett. They'll throw out the stuff that was for Trubisky that doesn't work for Pickett and look to replace it with stuff suited for Pickett. For example, designed QB runs (not just scrambles or sneaks) would be something I'd expect to see more of next year. I also think the offense was intentionally directed to be conservative from Tomlin. Maybe Pickett in his second year lets Tomlin support a more aggressive offense.

Will he be competent as a play caller? I doubt it, but it will definitely be different with focused on trying to maximize Pickett's talents going forward.

Tomlin's already said the offence was conservative by design.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tomlin's already said the offence was conservative by design.

Yeah I thought he flat out said it, but I wasn't positive. Canada's performance as OC last year was unacceptable, but he wasn't the only factor for why the offense in total was subpar.

The offense requires the OL working to support the running game, Pickett being efficient with the ball, Canada making smart and varied playcalls and Tomlin allowing the team to have a more aggressive offense. With all 4 of those working, I think their offense could be very good. But I'm obviously skeptical that all 4 of those will be working at any time.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

That article is just ranking the prospects. Taking it and assuming those players are picked at that ranking or before the Steelers is completely not the correct way of looking at who may be available. For example, while everyone agrees that Bijan Robinson is a great talent, basically everyone has him going in the late 20's due to RBs having the least importance. Same with Michael Mayer, zero chance he is taken top 10.

Another example, the complete lack of DL talent in this draft could make teams take Bresee higher than he should go, or even Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That article is just ranking the prospects. Taking it and assuming those players are picked at that ranking or before the Steelers is completely not the correct way of looking at who may be available. For example, while everyone agrees that Bijan Robinson is a great talent, basically everyone has him going in the late 20's due to RBs having the least importance. Same with Michael Mayer, zero chance he is taken top 10.

Another example, the complete lack of DL talent in this draft could make teams take Bresee higher than he should go, or even Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith.

Eh. You're overblowing it. Last TE to be in the consensus top 10 was Pitts, who went top 10. Last RB to be consensus top 10 was Barkley, who went top 10. It happens.

Even if it doesn't, which is perfectly plausible, moving them below 17 and bumping everyone a couple of slots on a rough and ready exercise of who may be around barely changes a thing.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I thought the team had way more cap space going into next year without having to make cuts/restructures.
They have 111 million in 2024 to spend. They have some roll over from this past season they didn’t use. Guys like sutton who got voided deals in 2020 when they got hit with covid roll backs ate some of the 23 cap space.
No way does Jackson stick at 12 million cut him 0 dead money no way does Mt stick at 10 million for 23. No way does Jack stick at 11 million cap hit. Some my add gunner and Witherspoon which is another 6 million.
Restructuring TJ and Minka are going to happen

Reactions: Colonel Mustard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad