OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
i'd rather the Bengals win the SB than Philly. Philly fans are the worst

F that.

Bengal fans are obnoxious as hell now. They saved up all their anger for like 30 yrs of losing and are releasing it all at once.

Eagles also beat Brady in the SB so they are aces in my book.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's not a strategy I would particularly like 9/10 times, but I would consider trading 2024 picks if the right guys are there for us in this draft. Kenny, Najee, and Pickens are all on rookie deals. Our defense is expensive. We could leverage our cost efficiency on offense to keep the defense together.

Restructuring Watt and Fitzpatrick, and cutting William Jackson III, Trubisky, and Withspoon would see us gain almost 47m, which would leave us around 43m in free space, which is tight. If we trade picks from 2024, we can fill those positions at discounted rates, which would kick the can down the road 3-4 years.

The front office really has their work cut out for them both in acquiring talent, and getting everything to fit under the cap.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Becoming a bigger and bigger Drew Sanders fan after Steelers Depot article today. Is it crazy to like his tape more than Simpson? Because I do.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Becoming a bigger and bigger Drew Sanders fan after Steelers Depot article today. Is it crazy to like his tape more than Simpson? Because I do.
If Lebeau was here, I'd want Sanders way more. He's your ideal zone-blitzing 3-4 MLB.

Simpson is definitely more a Tampa 2/cover guy who can play multiple positions. I think here, Simpson is a better fit because we could use him in our coverage looks, in the slot, and he's still a good blitzing LB if we need him to be, but I'd be ecstatic with Sanders too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like comparing Pickett to Purdy doesn't make any sense. Purdy was a late round pick who was drafted by a team who was amazingly built outside of their QB. Pickett was a 1st rounder drafted by a flawed team wanting to find its new QB of the future. It's not really all that surprising the 49ers with Purdy are doing better, they have a wildly better team and a wildly better scheme.

I think Purdy is a solid QB, but he's thriving because the 49ers have an amazing team around him and they have great offensive minds on their coaching staff. I think the Steelers need to improve the offensive minds on their coaching staff, but the support cast around Pickett is way worse than it is around Purdy. Put Pickett in Purdy's spot and I genuinely think he would be putting up all time rookie numbers, just because of how good the 49ers are around Purdy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I feel like comparing Pickett to Purdy doesn't make any sense. Purdy was a late round pick who was drafted by a team who was amazingly built outside of their QB. Pickett was a 1st rounder drafted by a flawed team wanting to find its new QB of the future. It's not really all that surprising the 49ers with Purdy are doing better, they have a wildly better team and a wildly better scheme.

I think Purdy is a solid QB, but he's thriving because the 49ers have an amazing team around him and they have great offensive minds on their coaching staff. I think the Steelers need to improve the offensive minds on their coaching staff, but the support cast around Pickett is way worse than it is around Purdy. Put Pickett in Purdy's spot and I genuinely think he would be putting up all time rookie numbers, just because of how good the 49ers are around Purdy.
Seriously. Purdy has only thrown over 30 times twice. They are literally asking him not to lose the game.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It's not a strategy I would particularly like 9/10 times, but I would consider trading 2024 picks if the right guys are there for us in this draft. Kenny, Najee, and Pickens are all on rookie deals. Our defense is expensive. We could leverage our cost efficiency on offense to keep the defense together.

Restructuring Watt and Fitzpatrick, and cutting William Jackson III, Trubisky, and Withspoon would see us gain almost 47m, which would leave us around 43m in free space, which is tight. If we trade picks from 2024, we can fill those positions at discounted rates, which would kick the can down the road 3-4 years.

The front office really has their work cut out for them both in acquiring talent, and getting everything to fit under the cap.
If you try in fast track the rebuild sure. Most likely they go heavy on defense in FA and draft rebuild depth. Next year they worry about the offense

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that was the point of the article. No one thinks that Purdy is anything special. Quite the opposite as the article makes clear.

And no one is comparing supporting casts. It is irrelevant to the point.

Which is what most here have been saying. Canada's boring conservative keep all plays within three yards of the line of scrimmage "offense" have done KP, and the Steelers, no favors.

In stats, wins and development of KP.

KP has shown that he can be effective stretching the field. Take the training wheels off.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If Lebeau was here, I'd want Sanders way more. He's your ideal zone-blitzing 3-4 MLB.

Simpson is definitely more a Tampa 2/cover guy who can play multiple positions. I think here, Simpson is a better fit because we could use him in our coverage looks, in the slot, and he's still a good blitzing LB if we need him to be, but I'd be ecstatic with Sanders too.
Simmons may be the better fit. I’m not great with who fits what defense outside of obvious DL. But I feel like Sanders pops on tape more.

Hard to watch either guy then go to Sewell’s tape though and think he’s an answer.

Which was the point of the article. If Purdy can be this, imagine what Kenny can do.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I think that was the point of the article. No one thinks that Purdy is anything special. Quite the opposite as the article makes clear.

Which is what most here have been saying. Canada's boring conservative keep all plays within three yards of the line of scrimmage "offense" have done KP, and the Steelers, no favors.

KP has shown that he can be effective stretching the field. Take the training wheels off.
But he was extremely inaccurate on passes down field he had tons of passes sail on him. He bailed out of pockets often and is talking about working on expanding off platform throws for next year.

Seriously. Purdy has only thrown over 30 times twice. They are literally asking him not to lose the game.
Which is exactly what the Steelers are doing with kp. After the bye kp had 2 games over 30 attempts

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It’s been alluded to by several beat guys that Canada and Tomlin pounded it into KP’s head not to make mistakes.

So one can only assume the conservative offense was by default orders from Tomlin.

However I keep thinking how bad the offense was with Canada under Roth, but that was supposedly because he couldn’t run anymore and Canada’s offense needed a mobile QB.

Yet the offense magically moved and scored points when Roth called the plays.

We saw the SOS when an athletic QB like MT took the reigns.

I don’t know who the main culprit is, Tomlin or Canada.

I know Canada doesn’t last long wherever he goes, so that’s a huge red flag.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Simmons may be the better fit. I’m not great with who fits what defense outside of obvious DL. But I feel like Sanders pops on tape more.

Hard to watch either guy then go to Sewell’s tape though and think he’s an answer.

Which was the point of the article. If Purdy can be this, imagine what Kenny can do.

Yeah, Sewell is falling down draft boards after being pretty highly ranked preseason. I think Sanders is going to be a 1st round pick (somewhere in the 20's) when it's all said and done. He's going to kill the combine and he passes the eye test.

He would be an absolute animal on those 2000's Steelers teams. That's where I see a guy like him being awesome.

But he was extremely inaccurate on passes down field he had tons of passes sail on him. He bailed out of pockets often and is talking about working on expanding off platform throws for next year.

Which is exactly what the Steelers are doing with kp. After the bye kp had 2 games over 30 attempts

Right, but the running game is way more inconsistent than SF's which doesn't help Kenny just managing a game. It got better during some games down the stretch, but it was inconsistent also.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

So it seems the next step for our running game is a speed back and getting all the Wr comfortable with running

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It’ll be perfect. The offense will start to be really good-great just as the defense starts to be too old to be good anymore.
Lol. The defense has a ton of free agents who will not be back they will have money to spend and guys in the 25-28 year range plus draft heavy on defense this offseason.
Next off season they will focus on the offense

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Free agent turnover isn't going to impact the long term quality of the defence as long as its high water mark is TJ, Cam, Minkah, and TJ again. Heyward isn't going to remain great forever and Watt has the worrying look of someone who might burn bright but fast. They need to draft a couple more stars to future proof that.

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lol. The defense has a ton of free agents who will not be back they will have money to spend and guys in the 25-28 year range plus draft heavy on defense this offseason.
Next off season they will focus on the offense

Heyward definitely won’t fit into the new window if it opens with KP.

Maybe if a vampire bites him or some shit.

Watt is starting to get injury prone and he turns 29 next season, so not sure if he will fit into the new window either unless it opens within the next year or two.

They will need to find a great DL and superstar rush LB to fill their shoes, which shouldn’t be too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad