OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We were supposed to be bad we have the worst Qb in the division pre Watson suspension but had open Wr all over the place. Our defense played in cover 2 all day and made the afc champions look like a jv squad.

Bro, Steelers O had like 56 yards of offense in the second half. 56! How many times do I have to point this out before you admit that is pathetic?

They scored 3 whopping points and the Benglas had 14.

If they hadn't lost their snapper, who do you think would have gotten the blame?

The D?

The O literally got 16 points and the D gave them an insane 4 turnovers (excluding the pick 6 obviously). They needed almost 5 quarters to get the 16 even, like f***.

MT has started 50+ games in this league, he's not some journeyman backup that's played like 12 games in his career.

Geno Smith just schooled Wilson and the Broncos and he had not started an opening game in 8 years. He literally started in 5 games in 6 years coming into Monday night.

Dude is 14-21 in his career - he's not a good QB.

Like cmon with the excuses - we have seen the same sputtering offense for 19 games and Roth isn't here to blame anymore.

Last edited:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
We did not have receivers open all day. This is false. My dad called me to say "why do we never have anyone open?" He has no such board grudge/axe to pick.

Matt Canada is the Peter principal to a T. Guy fails upward again and again in his career. I get defending Tomlin but Canada absolutely sucks as an OC.

People in the media were saying all last year that receivers were running open routes downfield/through the middle and the QB simply wasn't throwing the ball there.

Either incorrect reads, a poor o-line forcing early throws before routes develop, mix of both, etc. were the typical explanations for what the supposed film was showing, but even if that's the case you can't just accept that as a reality, you have to change something eventually to try to actually improve.

It's possible the coaches film with the perspective from behind the QB shows differently but every week after yet another anemic Steelers offensive display I'll watch the highlight reel from around the league and you'll see practically every game have at least one example of a deep throw downfield where a receiver is WIDE open for a long completion/TD. There's not a lot of elite QB's in the league, so even the average teams with non-elite QB's leaguewide somehow find ways to scheme guys open downfield more than the once in a blue moon the Steelers seem to manage.

Now think how often you can remember a Steelers receiver downfield being WIDE open, like multiple steps on any nearby defender. It so rarely happens I can remember one of the only examples from last year pretty clearly, which was a 30 or so yard TD to Johnson across the middle, think against the Ravens. I distinctly remember highlighting it in the thread here at the time because it was such a rarity, or at the very least seems that way. Other than that and maybe one or two examples per year, the vast majority of deep passes the Steelers connect on are almost always the result of a receiver pulling some absurd athletic catch out of their behind around coverage because they're so rarely actually OPEN open.

Maybe it's just confirmation bias and I don't watch enough other teams footage, but I swear just cursory glances of highlights every week will make you believe the Steelers are damn near the only team incapable of scheming guys open.

Last edited:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011

Kansas City Chiefs' rapid offensive line overhaul has exceeded almost all expectations

Hindsight always being 20/20, and Reid being a far better offensive mind than Tomlin/Canada obviously helps the line to a degree, but Humphrey hasn't shown any sign he wouldn't have been arguably the better pick when he dropped to us, Friermuth's future potential aside.

Nothing can be done now, but man what a potential whiff considering the panic pick of Green the very next round cause they were desperate.

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Bro, Steelers O had like 56 yards of offense in the second half. 56! How many times do I have to point this out before you admit that is pathetic?

If they hadn't lost their snapper, who do you think would have gotten the blame?

The D?

The O literally got 16 points and the D gave them an insane 4 turnovers (excluding the pick 6 obviously). They needed almost 5 quarters to get the 16 even, like f***.

MT has started 50+ games in this league, he's not some journeyman backup that's played like 12 games in his career.

Geno Smith just schooled Wilson and the Broncos and he had not started an opening game in 8 years. He literally started in 5 games in 6 years coming into Monday night.

Like cmon with the excuses - we have seen the same sputtering offense for 19 games and Roth isn't here to blame anymore.
agree wholeheartedly

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

The D?

Just last year we saw the defense get 4 turnovers against Tennessee and the 2nd half and get 4 FG. If they don’t miss Pickens for a walk-in TD under throw Claypool and hit Boykin this was a blow out.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just last year we saw the defense get 4 turnovers against Tennessee and the 2nd half and get 4 FG. If they don’t miss Pickens for a walk-in TD under throw Claypool and hit Boykin this was a blow out.

So basically you are saying this is a pattern with this offense?

Cool.

Hey if Cincy didn’t lose their long snapper and Burrow didn’t keep turning the ball over, Cincy would have blown them out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This is the same organization that was willing to sit Ben all season behind Maddox and batch I don’t think they will summit to any pressure.
Colbert himself said they needed 3 years to get players for Canada offense and it was fine on Sunday. He schemed Wr open they had multiple plays off the jet sweeps motion that would have worked if Mitch wasn’t so inaccurate and throwing off his back foot. Mitch 190 yards 1 td was the same as Ben week 1 against Buffalo last year as long as he isn’t turning it over he is the guy until the bye

You'd characterize the offense as "fine" on Sunday?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ramon Foster was on DK's show yesterday and was really going after Najee. He said he "runs into darkness" and "up the backs of the Olineman". He said the line is not doing that bad of a job, but that Najee is just running where he thinks the play should go rather than where the daylight happens to be.

Now, clearly when guys are in the backfield at handoff, that is an Oline failure. And, that happens quite a bit.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of teams that would have a blow out if they hadn't missed some opportunities...

Found this in Kaboly's article today:

“With downfield throwing comes the potential of negativity and turning the ball over,” Tomlin said. “Environmentally, in the structure of how they function, we did what we thought was appropriate to win the game last week. It has no bearing on how we’re going to function this week.”

From the horse's mouth they weren't really looking to throw downfield a lot.

And I forget who said it in this thread, but where the intermediate throws? They took some shots downfield, they threw a lot of short ones... passes at 10-20 yards? I'm seeing three attempts. Probably because that's a zone where you can get intercepted a lot more easily. Which again ain't all that new.

Tbh, I don't get how anyone doesn't see a lot of the same problems with this offence as there was last year. PFF says the line did okay at pass protection so okay, that's a step forwards, but otherwise... yeah.

And I'm increasingly seeing it as all coming from Canada and the guy who likes what Canada is doing.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
This is the same organization that was willing to sit Ben all season behind Maddox and batch I don’t think they will summit to any pressure.
Colbert himself said they needed 3 years to get players for Canada offense and it was fine on Sunday. He schemed Wr open they had multiple plays off the jet sweeps motion that would have worked if Mitch wasn’t so inaccurate and throwing off his back foot. Mitch 190 yards 1 td was the same as Ben week 1 against Buffalo last year as long as he isn’t turning it over he is the guy until the bye
Nobody has an idea of how that could have played out.
If Maddox remained healthy but stunk it up. Who’s to say when Ben would have been inserted

Last edited:

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016

Self own by this twitter poster. First pic, all the DBs are sitting back waiting to pounce. Second one he's being chased, and the throw to the open man would be an awkward mess of a throw at best, assuming Trubisky actually sees him. The third one the underneath routes are all that are open.

The biggest takeaway here is in the god awful play designs.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Self own by this twitter poster. First pic, all the DBs are sitting back waiting to pounce. Second one he's being chased, and the throw to the open man would be an awkward mess of a throw at best, assuming Trubisky actually sees him. The third one the underneath routes are all that are open.

The biggest takeaway here is in the god awful play designs.
What Claypool was nfl open on the 3rd he might even been college open

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
He's not at all open. It's called baiting. A veteran like Trubisky knows better as it's clearly not a timing route, otherwise the ball would've been out already.

Pickett probably tries that throw out of pro inexperience

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It is game 1 with Mitch. He was going to miss some throws. The offense was going to look choppy. I thought he made throws when he needed to. He's going to be better. I like that he is able to move around. I think he has a plus arm. It's just comfortability right now and getting a groove.

I also agree with the Najee points. Najee may not be a runner who creates his own runs on a consistent basis. He's great at breaking tackles and falling forward, but currently, he's not like a Curtis Martin runner who was a big back with average speed, but what separated him was his ability to be insanely patient and let things happen. Najee does run into the back of his linemen a lot. Part of that is because they are getting blown back 2 yards every snap. Part of that is the pass isn't respected at all. If Mitch and the offense can find a way to start lighting some teams up through the air, I think Najee will start seeing some more holes.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I also agree with the Najee points. Najee may not be a runner who creates his own runs on a consistent basis. He's great at breaking tackles and falling forward, but currently, he's not like a Curtis Martin runner who was a big back with average speed, but what separated him was his ability to be insanely patient and let things happen. Najee does run into the back of his linemen a lot. Part of that is because they are getting blown back 2 yards every snap. Part of that is the pass isn't respected at all. If Mitch and the offense can find a way to start lighting some teams up through the air, I think Najee will start seeing some more holes.

I don't really see the difference in Najee and James Conner that necessitated the 1st round pick in lieu of needed help at OL. Though everything in our offense sucks, running the football remains inefficient, and giving a RB touches just cause of his pedigree is a recipe to score no points in the 1st quarter. I think we will see minimal difference with Jaylen Warren from a running perspective, though perhaps Najee is better in pass protection.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Trubisky and Trubisky alone is the problem, what does it say about the coaches who've selected and backed him every step of the way? This is what they want.

It is game 1 with Mitch. He was going to miss some throws. The offense was going to look choppy. I thought he made throws when he needed to. He's going to be better. I like that he is able to move around. I think he has a plus arm. It's just comfortability right now and getting a groove.

It's going to be very difficult to know exactly what Harris is until those parts are at least part fixed. If Harris was insanely patient he'd be getting tackled three yards behind the line rather than three yards past it.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't really see the difference in Najee and James Conner that necessitated the 1st round pick in lieu of needed help at OL. Though everything in our offense sucks, running the football remains inefficient, and giving a RB touches just cause of his pedigree is a recipe to score no points in the 1st quarter. I think we will see minimal difference with Jaylen Warren from a running perspective, though perhaps Najee is better in pass protection.

Eh. Najee had 1700 all purpose yards last year. Conner had a much better line and never came close to that. I mean, using hindsight, Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, and Quinn Meinerz would have probably been 3 better picks and our interior line would be awesome, but how much shit would the Steelers take for taking a center and 2 guards?

They needed Najee for this exact point in time. Najee is going to take some heat off of Mitch. They are respecting his ability. Now if this offense can figure out how to pass the ball down field, that would be nice.

If Trubisky and Trubisky alone is the problem, what does it say about the coaches who've selected and backed him every step of the way? This is what they want.

It's going to be very difficult to know exactly what Harris is until those parts are at least part fixed. If Harris was insanely patient he'd be getting tackled three yards behind the line rather than three yards past it.

I agree. And he still racked up insane stats last year, and the line was arguably worse.

Reactions: Peat

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Eh. Najee had 1700 all purpose yards last year. Conner had a much better line and never came close to that. I mean, using hindsight, Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphrey, and Quinn Meinerz would have probably been 3 better picks and our interior line would be awesome, but how much shit would the Steelers take for taking a center and 2 guards?

They needed Najee for this exact point in time. Najee is going to take some heat off of Mitch. They are respecting his ability. Now if this offense can figure out how to pass the ball down field, that would be nice.

I agree. And he still racked up insane stats last year, and the line was arguably worse.

This is my biggest issue with saying they should have taken OL instead of Harris. Like you said, it requires a little bit of hindsight.

We’ve seen them take a position just to take a position and the result was Artie Burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad