OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
When you watch teams like the Chiefs and Chargers, and then you watch the Steelers offense, I don’t know how Art Rooney can make a case for Tomlin to stay employed…Tomlin plays not to lose instead of to win games…the team needs someone who will empower the players to make plays, not live in their fears…the way Tomlin wants the offense to play is gutless

It's like watching Pop Warner offense vs a HS offense

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It's like watching Pop Warner offense vs a HS offense
Our offense these past few years has made watching the Steelers like a chore. We are trying the same approach where we just try to make it 3rd and medium range just to flub it anyway.

Like someone posted no attacking the middle...I don't understand why it's so hard to try creative things...and jet sweeps aren't that impressive- looking at you Canada.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Our offense these past few years has made watching the Steelers like a chore. We are trying the same approach where we just try to make it 3rd and medium range just to flub it anyway.

Like someone posted no attacking the middle...I don't understand why it's so hard to try creative things...and jet sweeps aren't that impressive- looking at you Canada.
If the Qb doesn’t throw it in the middle of the field not much any oc can do Allen didn’t throw it over the middle in week 1

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Ofcourse if you had watched the game you would know the Chiefs offense scored a grand total of 20 points and went 4-13 on third downs and punted 6 times.

The Chargers D deserved a better outcome. For much of the game they pressured Mahomes, a few times forcing him to throw some jump balls that the Chargers either should have intercepted or did intercept and were nullified by penalties. If they make one or two of those picks, it's a different game. Chiefs' first two TDs were really the courtesy of their All-world QB scrambling and making plays that All-world QBs make. It was enjoyable watching him and Herbert, other than Herbert's really bad pick to the TE who had asked to come out after the previous play. Makes me miss watching Ben at his peak.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ofcourse if you had watched the game you would know the Chiefs offense scored a grand total of 20 points and went 4-13 on third downs and punted 6 times.
I did watch it, and their offense was still light years better than the Steelers offense…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You can find days where any good offence struggled, or didn't throw it at X.

It's a struggle to find days where we don't do those things. That's the difference.

Because the head coach thinks the defence can be the point of difference, and all he wants from the offence that he doesn't really trust is to do just enough to take advantage of the defence, and that means minimal risk. Canada trying to design a dink and dunk game with the odd long bomb thrown to places the defence definitely can't reach and the attack probably can't either is just him doing what he's been told to do.

This team either needs a QB and OL the HC fully trusts, or a new HC, or a worse defence so the HC has to take some risks. It's not exactly a surprise this team plays its best attacking football when it runs out of options to win games.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

It's a struggle to find days where we don't do those things. That's the difference.

Because the head coach thinks the defence can be the point of difference, and all he wants from the offence that he doesn't really trust is to do just enough to take advantage of the defence, and that means minimal risk. Canada trying to design a dink and dunk game with the odd long bomb thrown to places the defence definitely can't reach and the attack probably can't either is just him doing what he's been told to do.

This team either needs a QB and OL the HC fully trusts, or a new HC, or a worse defence so the HC has to take some risks. It's not exactly a surprise this team plays its best attacking football when it runs out of options to win games.

Tomlin thinking like that and acting accordingly is why the team loses and ekes out wins…total delusional thinking about what works in the modern NFL lol…

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

I see your point here. But Tomlin has to realize this conservative offense is creating 3 and outs so fast his D is being asked to be on the field the whole game basically.

Not like we have to be some crazy risk taking offense but we could throw the ball between 8-20 yards sometimes.

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tomlin thinking like that and acting accordingly is why the team loses and ekes out wins…total delusional thinking about what works in the modern NFL lol…

Ehh maybe.

Or put it another way - how long has it been since Tomlin's had the group to try winning it the offence-based, QB-focused, passing heavy way most of the NFL is doing?

My interest in the Steelers doesn't stretch back far, but the period is does stretch back, he's either had injured Ben and rookie-ish Rudolph, cooked Ben, or what he's got now.

Is he going to get more wins asking that group to play like they're a good QB? I really doubt that. Particularly when you add in the ageing line. Yeah, what he's doing sometimes really stresses the defence... but they get wins. They somehow made the playoffs last season, even if it was just to get embarrassed, when I don't think many expected it.

As such, the idea that a different approach with this group of players is going to work better in the NFL isn't an idea I buy. They just don't have enough talent in critical areas of the field. There's no philosophy that's going to stop this team losing regular and scrabbling for wins.

Now, whether Tomlin has a faulty philosophy that's prevented the team from getting talent, whether he's going to trust this offence when it has good pieces, whether his philosophy will allow the good pieces to develop... I don't know. But what he's doing with the hand that's there, I just kinda find it hard to argue with.

I would also like to believe the offence will get a little less conservative for a few more games for Trubisky and the new line though. The only way is up here after all.

Reactions: xlm34

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ehh maybe.

Or put it another way - how long has it been since Tomlin's had the group to try winning it the offence-based, QB-focused, passing heavy way most of the NFL is doing?

My interest in the Steelers doesn't stretch back far, but the period is does stretch back, he's either had injured Ben and rookie-ish Rudolph, cooked Ben, or what he's got now.

Is he going to get more wins asking that group to play like they're a good QB? I really doubt that. Particularly when you add in the ageing line. Yeah, what he's doing sometimes really stresses the defence... but they get wins. They somehow made the playoffs last season, even if it was just to get embarrassed, when I don't think many expected it.

As such, the idea that a different approach with this group of players is going to work better in the NFL isn't an idea I buy. They just don't have enough talent in critical areas of the field. There's no philosophy that's going to stop this team losing regular and scrabbling for wins.

Now, whether Tomlin has a faulty philosophy that's prevented the team from getting talent, whether he's going to trust this offence when it has good pieces, whether his philosophy will allow the good pieces to develop... I don't know. But what he's doing with the hand that's there, I just kinda find it hard to argue with.

I would also like to believe the offence will get a little less conservative for a few more games for Trubisky and the new line though. The only way is up here after all.

Tomlin coaches like he still has the 2008 SB winning team. He doesn't have prime Ben or an all world defense to bail this group out repeatedly.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ehh maybe.

The WR group is good, RB group is ok, and OL sucks but if he puts Pickett in, they’ll have more than enough talent to at least open up the offense a little

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The WR group is good, RB group is ok, and OL sucks but if he puts Pickett in, they’ll have more than enough talent to at least open up the offense a little

Just to play devil’s advocate, look what happened to the Chargers offense when their line fell apart:

And that’s with one of the best young QBs in the game. I definitely agree there’s more Canada should be doing. Not taking advantage of Trubisky’s mobility in the first game was really strange. But they just don’t have the line to open up the offense as much as people want.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just to play devil’s advocate, look what happened to the Chargers offense when their line fell apart:

And that’s with one of the best young QBs in the game. I definitely agree there’s more Canada should be doing. Not taking advantage of Trubisky’s mobility in the first game was really strange. But they just don’t have the line to open up the offense as much as people want.

It’s not going to be great w our line, but, as you said, we could do more…not only in playcalling but I think Pickett would bring more as he’s more accurate and throws w anticipation

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

But is opening up a little going to produce more points and save the defence more than it gives away through giving away field position?

Is a rookie QB really this magic panacea that's going to suddenly be uber-accurate and right on his reads and allow them to do everything the other QBs couldn't do? Or are they going to be conservative with him in order to avoid ruining his confidence by having him struggle? Because the latter sure feels like the answer. They certainly ran him more conservatively in pre-season.

Tbh Andy, this all feels unwarrantedly optimistic from you. They're not going to magically gain trust in the offence just because it's their #2 QB instead of their #1 QB, they're not going to be a team with hopes this season because of Pickett, and the only real change to the team's possible outcomes from sticking him in now is increasing the risk of him busting and spending time in purgatory.

This is what it is until the front office and player development can build a better team. They could perhaps be more entertaining, but more successful? Nah.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But is opening up a little going to produce more points and save the defence more than it gives away through giving away field position?

Is a rookie QB really this magic panacea that's going to suddenly be uber-accurate and right on his reads and allow them to do everything the other QBs couldn't do? Or are they going to be conservative with him in order to avoid ruining his confidence by having him struggle? Because the latter sure feels like the answer. They certainly ran him more conservatively in pre-season.

Tbh Andy, this all feels unwarrantedly optimistic from you. They're not going to magically gain trust in the offence just because it's their #2 QB instead of their #1 QB, they're not going to be a team with hopes this season because of Pickett, and the only real change to the team's possible outcomes from sticking him in now is increasing the risk of him busting and spending time in purgatory.

This is what it is until the front office and player development can build a better team. They could perhaps be more entertaining, but more successful? Nah.
I think they have to try something because this offense ain’t it…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It’s not going to be great w our line, but, as you said, we could do more…not only in playcalling but I think Pickett would bring more as he’s more accurate and throws w anticipation

Unless you've clearly identified it's the current QB screwing things up, this is premature.

This offense is held back by the Oline and Canada. Changing the QB isn't likely to produce different results. Hell we technically have changed the QB (from Ben to Mitch) and it looks the same/worse.

I'm a KP fan, but I don't want to see him get killed or shell shocked with this group he's tasked to lead.

Reactions: Mr Jiggyfly

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

It is so clear that the rookie Pickett offense is going to be the Big Ben offense redux. Nothing but 1-3 yard throws. We don't have the line to protect him nor the trust in him at this point. Mitch has to be the guy for a while because of his legs - and the fact that we can be riskier with his health.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why do they have to try something when their ceiling this season isn't really worth talking about?
i don’t think they see it that way lol, but if they did, all the more reason to open the offense up and even put Pickett in there, if you’re conceding the season lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
i don’t think they see it that way lol, but if they did, all the more reason to open the offense up and even put Pickett in there, if you’re conceding the season lol

Again, who are you being so positive and optimistic? Sticking Pickett in behind this offensive line and telling him to take some risks is just begging the rest of the NFL to destroy his body and confidence. Surely you of all people would see the risks here :nod:

But got you in terms of the attacking fulfilling their expectations... but wait and see? We know there's a conservative streak there, but even so, how they approach the first game of the season with a new QB in a game where the defence is doing great things is going to be different from the fourth on a day when the defence isn't bringing it. That game wasn't the offence all season.

And you know, since you're talking in terms of what they're going to do, what they believe in, they're really not going to open things up with Pickett on the field. Not at all. You want this team to stop boring you? Pray Mitch comes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad