OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It is so clear that the rookie Pickett offense is going to be the Big Ben offense redux. Nothing but 1-3 yard throws. We don't have the line to protect him nor the trust in him at this point. Mitch has to be the guy for a while because of his legs - and the fact that we can be riskier with his health.
Also Pickett has tiny hands and we should be concerned of them breaking with too much exposure so early on. Poor guy...John Madden would've demolished those tiny things on broadcast.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Again, who are you being so positive and optimistic? Sticking Pickett in behind this offensive line and telling him to take some risks is just begging the rest of the NFL to destroy his body and confidence. Surely you of all people would see the risks here :nod:

But got you in terms of the attacking fulfilling their expectations... but wait and see? We know there's a conservative streak there, but even so, how they approach the first game of the season with a new QB in a game where the defence is doing great things is going to be different from the fourth on a day when the defence isn't bringing it. That game wasn't the offence all season.

And you know, since you're talking in terms of what they're going to do, what they believe in, they're really not going to open things up with Pickett on the field. Not at all. You want this team to stop boring you? Pray Mitch comes through.
I can’t stand the way Trubisky plays lol…I think the horrors of playing QBs in their rookie season is way overblown…for every Couch there’s a Herbert, or a Ben…I’d rather see what Pickett is sooner rather than later…a bad Oline can be schemed around, hence the jet sweeps lol…I think pass pro overall is fine with this line…run blocking stinks

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
yeah we need this guy
The only G that I have seen in the last 5 years do that is Q Nelson from Indy. Outside of that, this guy is probably my favorite G in the NFL. He would have been a cult hero in Pittsburgh. We completely whiffed on that for some gadget offense.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can’t stand the way Trubisky plays lol…I think the horrors of playing QBs in their rookie season is way overblown…for every Couch there’s a Herbert, or a Ben…I’d rather see what Pickett is sooner rather than later…a bad Oline can be schemed around, hence the jet sweeps lol…I think pass pro overall is fine with this line…run blocking stinks

I'm sure KP would be fine but Tomlin is going to ride the vet like all coaches do.

It's a universal coaching thing, so we just have to let it play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Factorial

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I have to give it to Canada, he has everyone convinced his offense is so complex that it takes players years to learn. That way, no one criticizes him for his first three seasons or so, because of this false narrative thrown out there about his complex system. He runs a guy in motion on offense and suddenly he’s some mastermind.

How long is his contract? This organization is too cheap to fire anyone; we will have to wait for them to not renew his contract.

Until then, it doesn’t matter who you have playing QB when your game plan is to run, run, and throw for 3 years to your fifth wide receiver every drive.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have to give it to Canada, he has everyone convinced his offense is so complex that it takes players years to learn. That way, no one criticizes him for his first three seasons or so, because of this false narrative thrown out there about his complex system. He runs a guy in motion on offense and suddenly he’s some mastermind.

How long is his contract? This organization is too cheap to fire anyone; we will have to wait for them to not renew his contract.

Until then, it doesn’t matter who you have playing QB when your game plan is to run, run, and throw for 3 years to your fifth wide receiver every drive.
The fact a pro organization was cool with bringing in a guy who has never been a pro OC, and publicly proclaimed "this process is going to take 3 years" is absolutely baffling to me. He must've sold them hook, line, and sinker.

And here is another thing with this offense - they have been so critical of what type of players they want for it, but from what I've seen, having a 250 pound RB would not be the right type of back for it. Etienne probably would have been a better choice.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Warren's blocking really stood out against Cincy. He also threw an excellent block on one of Claypool's WR runs as well.

Reactions: Pengwins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, Warren's blocking really stood out against Cincy. He also threw an excellent block on one of Claypool's WR runs as well.
I REALLY like him as a player. He has a MJD vibe to me. I hope they utilize him to keep Najee fresh.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pats secondary is… not good.

If Canada can’t find a way to exploit them, then he is who I think he is.

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
We should be winning today

Patriots were awful last week

Yes the classic "we should win today" game we've seen with Tomlin the last 15 years.

But I think some are forgetting who is coaching the other side and how he has completely owns Tomlin in this series.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Did you see our offense?

For as bad as our offense may be, the Patriots may legitimately be worse. I can’t believe they put Matt Patricia in charge.

I’ll probably come to regret saying this, but I also think Mac Jones is seriously overrated. He’s a decent QB, but he’s just a game manager. I saw a stat that he’s 2-9 when the Pats defense gives up 14+ points.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
For as bad as our offense may be, the Patriots may legitimately be worse. I can’t believe they put Matt Patricia in charge.

I’ll probably come to regret saying this, but I also think Mac Jones is seriously overrated. He’s a decent QB, but he’s just a game manager. I saw a stat that he’s 2-9 when the Pats defense gives up 14+ points.

There is nothing wrong with that as long as you build the right roster around him.

Let's not kid ourselves though, he is better than Trubisky. But Trubisky is nothing but a stop gap till Pickett is ready. Should be no high expectations on him, he just needs to try to hold the fort. It'll be hard though with the high school coaches he's surrounded with.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is nothing wrong with that as long as you build the right roster around him.

Let's not kid ourselves though, he is better than Trubisky. But Trubisky is nothing but a stop gap till Pickett is ready. Should be no high expectations on him, he just needs to try to hold the fort. It'll be hard though with the high school coaches he's surrounded with.
That’s an insult to high school coaches.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I think having a game manager puts you in a really weird position as a franchise. It’s the purgatory the Bengals were stuck in with Dalton. You won enough where it wasn’t obvious you needed to move on, but you were never going to win it all without things going perfectly.

Jones is still young though. Maybe he has another gear or the ability to turn it on in the playoffs. The Pats aren’t really doing him any favors right now though. Their WR group is pretty terrible and they replaced his OC with Matt Patricia.

Reactions: Night Shift

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Mac Jones is actually an efficient passer against zone but he is horrible against man.

The Steelers would be wise to keep the zone looks to a minimum today.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
FWIW, spread has moved from Pick to NE -3 in Pittsburgh. I happened to be listening to a sports betting "guru" this AM, and he opined that the smart money was moving spread toward NE, because the smart money believes the Steelers should have lost to the Bengals, notwithstanding the 5 turnovers they generated. So, given that historically bad performance by the Steelers O, the thinking is the Steelers are really worse than the Pats, who were also unspeakably awful last week against the 'fins.

Again, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad