OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I’m not rooting for them to win, it’s just the Tomlin way of being mediocre, so it’s inevitable how this ends.

I’d love to see KP have 3 great games to end the season, but the D gives up a winning FG at the end to lose each time.

I’m just not wasting my time worrying about it anymore. Tomlin is the master of mediocrity, so why expect anything different?

Right, you want to see some individual progress/performance, but still lose in some possibly "unlucky" way. It'd be the best possible outcome.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I'm telling you, it's gonna be Joey Porter's kid. They will find a way to nab him
He’s not a ball hawk but he’s a pretty good CB with length. One of the top DBs in the draft. I wouldn’t mind that, but I also wouldn’t move up to get him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He’s not a ball hawk but he’s a pretty good CB with length. One of the top DBs in the draft. I wouldn’t mind that, but I also wouldn’t move up to get him.

This team hasn’t had a feared corner in decades.

Noll was the last coach to draft a superstar corner in Woodson.

I’m talking about a game changing cover corner that shuts down his man and makes game altering plays.

Woodson was such a bad ass at making huge plays, and I’m not talking about just picks. He was one of the best blitzing corners I’ve ever seen.

He had a knack for stripping the QB and turning the game around when he was called on.

Ike was the only other corner that could lock things down, but he wasn’t really even a pro bowl type corner, let alone a HOFer like Woodson.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
This team hasn’t had a feared corner in decades.

Noll was the last coach to draft a superstar corner in Woodson.

I’m talking about a game changing cover corner that shuts down his man and makes game altering plays.

Woodson was such a bad ass at making huge plays, and I’m not talking about just picks. He was one of the best blitzing corners I’ve ever seen.

He had a knack for stripping the QB and turning the game around when he was called on.

Ike was the only other corner that could lock things down, but he wasn’t really even a pro bowl type corner, let alone a HOFer like Woodson.

Woodson could also bring a punt back for a TD.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea I mean I watched him somewhat over the years. Comes across as a pure shutdown type of coverage corner. One that QBs just didn’t really throw at that often. Quick, tall. Kinda like Ike and I would take another one of him. I’m assuming he has better hands, though, haha.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yea I mean I watched him somewhat over the years. Comes across as a pure shutdown type of coverage corner. One that QBs just didn’t really throw at that often. Quick, tall. Kinda like Ike and I would take another one of him. I’m assuming he has better hands, though, haha.

Woodson had better everything.

Just a special player that made those Polo type plays at the corner position, except unlike Polo he was again an elite blitzer that caused havoc.

Even as a kid I always hated wearing someone else’s jersey and found it weird AF. But I did wear 26 because of him.

First few highlights show him stripping the ball on the blitz - he just had a knack for it.

I believe he still holds the record for most fumble recoveries to.

Just a turnover machine that always found the ball somehow and at one point was the career leader for pick sixes.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

The unfortunate thing is this team hasn't developed a single CB outside of Ike Taylor in the past 20 years
Let that sink in...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The unfortunate thing is this team hasn't developed a single CB outside of Ike Taylor in the past 20 years
Let that sink in...

That’s basically where my Woodson stuff is coming from.

Ike was a good cover corner, but never a top guy at his position.

Going off the top of my head… they have only drafted a corner three times in the first round since Woodson I think…

Figures, Scott and Burns…?

Those guys were all pick 20 or later to I believe.

So in 17 years Tomlin has only drafted a corner once in the first at like 24-25. So perhaps he doesn’t prioritize the position enough, hence their lack of top end players there during his tenure.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Woodson had better everything.

Just a special player that made those Polo type plays at the corner position, except unlike Polo he was again an elite blitzer that caused havoc.

Even as a kid I always hated wearing someone else’s jersey and found it weird AF. But I did wear 26 because of him.

First few highlights show him stripping the ball on the blitz - he just had a knack for it.

I believe he still holds the record for most fumble recoveries to.

Just a turnover machine that always found the ball somehow and at one point was the career leader for pick sixes.

Totally agree. I can still close my eyes and see him absolutely destroying the Houston Oilers player in overtime to cause a fumble in the 1989 playoffs, which they used to win the game. They haven't picked CB that high since, #10 overall, but maybe this year they should.

And I firmly believe that Ike was a pro-bowl caliber CB. He just didn't have the hands to make the interceptions to get him there. But as far as coverage and tackling, he was one of the best of his era. Steelers would just place him on the other teams best receiver every game and all game and he would shut them down.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Going off the top of my head… they have only drafted a corner three times in the first round since Woodson I think…

So in 17 years Tomlin has only drafted a corner once in the first at like 24-25. So perhaps he doesn’t prioritize the position enough, hence their lack of top end players there during his tenure.

Scott is the one that got shot, right? Was McFadden a 2nd rounder? I thought he might have been good but ...

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Scott is the one that got shot, right? Was McFadden a 2nd rounder? I thought he might have been good but ...

They've had some decent corners but just not someone on Ike's or let alone 10 levels below Woodson's level. Deshea Townsend, Keenan Lewis, DeWayne Washington. But they just have been too few and far between. And the guys they drafteed in the first since Woodson have been basically duds.

And, you can't really put that exclusively on Tomlin, Cowher didn't do well either at drafting CBs high in the draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya Scott was 25th overall I think, so likely not going to find a star corner there. Those types are all gone by then.

Scott was a project corner which is basically what you expect at 25.

I can’t even remember who drafted Mcfadden. I just remember him making a huge play in the playoffs his rookie year, but never became anything special.

I’m just trying to not be hyperbolic and scream Tomlin can’t develop corners. Maybe he can’t, but he hasn’t really put an emphasis on drafting the appropriate talent for the position.

Top corners are hard to find much like LT.

Basically in terms of being almost impossible to find pro bowl type guys it goes QB, LT, and corner.

Edit: Missed the part about Scott getting shot... Not sure about that one.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Ya Scott was 25th overall I think, so likely not going to find a star corner there. Those types are all gone by then.

Scott was a project corner which is basically what you expect at 25.

I can’t even remember who drafted Mcfadden. I just remember him making a huge play in the playoffs his rookie year, but never became anything special.

I’m just trying to not be hyperbolic and scream Tomlin can’t develop corners. Maybe he can’t, but he hasn’t really put an emphasis on drafting the appropriate talent for the position.

Top corners are hard to find much like LT.

Basically in terms of being almost impossible to find pro bowl type guys it goes QB, LT, and corner.

That is why when you draft top 5 or 10, if QB not needed you take Tackles, dline, or Corner.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Chad Scott was the dude who showed a lot of promise as a rookie, but ended up tearing his ACL on the 3 Rivers Turf in the offseason during routine training drills.

I'm not saying he would have been an All Pro, but that injury really impacted him. Felt like he would have been a solid contributer, but he ended up being a big liability during the lean years of he and Dwayne Washington in the late 90's

Woodson was a generational player. I can't think of any DB in the past 10 years or so outside of Troy or Reed that had such an impact on the game. It's just the way defenses are designed nowadays that limits their impact of blitzing/causing fumbles/etc.

I'm against a CB early partly bc they seem to struggle with development here. If they fix the Oline and Dline, it'll solve the larger issues. Take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round

Reactions: MrBrightside

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

McFadden was a great Robin to Ike's Batman. Definitely wasn't an A1 cover guy but held his own.
If McFadden was drafted in Rd 1, his career would have been a disappointment

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Chad Scott was the dude who showed a lot of promise as a rookie, but ended up tearing his ACL on the 3 Rivers Turf in the offseason during routine training drills.

I'm not saying he would have been an All Pro, but that injury really impacted him. Felt like he would have been a solid contributer, but he ended up being a big liability during the lean years of he and Dwayne Washington in the late 90's

Woodson was a generational player. I can't think of any DB in the past 10 years or so outside of Troy or Reed that had such an impact on the game. It's just the way defenses are designed nowadays that limits their impact of blitzing/causing fumbles/etc.

I'm against a CB early partly bc they seem to struggle with development here. If they fix the Oline and Dline, it'll solve the larger issues. Take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round

Reed was an animal. I wanted Steelers to draft him so badly and I was praying he'd slip down to them, but of course Ravens grabbed him.

I think the Steelers took Simmons that year, but he ended up having diabetes or something of that nature.

Worked out the next season with Polo, so not something I ever dwelled on.

I think a case could be argued for drafting a corner early since Tomlin may struggle to develop them. Get a guy who is as complete as possible so he doesn't need much development. Probably their best chance to find a shut down guy, because I have severe doubts about Tomlin drafting a raw tools guy in the second to develop.

Feels like that would be a piss away pick.

About the only way for them to land a legit guy will be to move into the top 12 with one of their seconds perhaps.

I'm all aboard the LT train though.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
That is why when you draft top 5 or 10, if QB not needed you take Tackles, dline, or Corner.
I tend to agree. Though Cincinnati was lambasted for taking Chase over Sewell and that has been absolutely the right pick.

They haven't drafted this high in a long time, potentially as high as #10, and I would not look at drafting a CB that high as a development CB. That being said, the way I look at the draft, there seems to be a lot of decent CBs in this draft, and the high potential for several of them to be there at pick #33. While there is a limited amount of decent LTs, it seems like maybe only 3-4 are worthy of first round selection, Skoronski (Ole T-Rex arms), Paris Johnson Jr, Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison. I don't think there is any doubt they will all be gone by #33. Thus LT should be the pick.

For #33, there are also a bunch of IOL that are interesting picks at that stage. O'Cyrus Torrence is a huge mauling guard, Luke Wypler is an intriguing choice at Center. I know they need help on DL but man, If they could add Johnson Jr and Torrence to the left side of the line. That could be epic, then have Dan Moore as the 6th lineman. That could give them a potent running attack.

And I think they can find a good DL to fit there scheme in the 3rd. A guy like Kobie Turner from Wake Forest could be there and he is a high motor guy that loves to stuff the run. He would be in the vain of a Aaron Smith.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Being a fan of Both Tampa and Pittsburgh I find that going into the draft both have similar needs and there are circumstances to where I think both would be fine trade partners.

First I think the Bucs are going to win out and make it to the playoffs, so I think at that point they go BPA.

If the Bucs miss the Playoffs which is still possible my hope is they are high enough to take LT so they may trade Donovan Smith (which I think they are looking to do). Or Porter Jr so it opens the idea of trading Carlton Davis III or Murphy-Bunting.

The Bucs are 40 million over the cap with 35 players signed next year.

I'm spitballing here because whether the Steelers take LT or Porter Jr. What ever they do the other need may be available from the Bucs.

Donovan Smith is a huge upgrade to Moore. His issues are penalties. Still is probably the best option if the Steelers don't go LT.

If the Bucs draft a CB then they will look to move a corner I think to open up space.

Out of the 3, Davis is the most valuable and would cost more in a trade than the other 2. But the Bucs still need to fill their roster. They still address holes/needs the Steelers have so I'm not sure its a bad idea these two hook up in the off-season.

Edit: so scratch 1 thing. Murphy-Bunting is one of the FA next year so the Steelers probably should jump on that imo. That leaves Davis unavailable for trade. I would still think Donovan Smith is available for the Steelers taking if the Bucs can address LT in the draft, and the Steelers go CB.

**Having Murphy-Bunting and Porter JR as the corners drastically improves the Steelers secondary next year. Smith at LT and it is looking better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad