OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Seeing the Pats lose like that almost makes up for the Pens blowing the game against the Canes.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Ya or Watt, Miller etc.

They also have an extra second to help jump into the top ten if they want.

I’m done worrying about it. Hopefully KP is back and if they win out cool.

Teams with bad records that finish out strong have a history of carrying that into the next season.
I couldn't agree more. Draft position means literally nothing. Only time it's worth to "tank" is for an Andrew Luck or Manning.

Steelers are one of the better drafting teams in the league so their drafting slot isn't a concern.
Of course we're without Colbert now so who knows if the drafting success will maintain.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
#16 Darius Kasparaitis for the Jags led the come back vs the Cowboys. The Jags all of a sudden have a shot at winning the AFC South.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Like father Like son!

8458942.jpg

aaa8b42c-4d87-45f6-bfd2-e31cfed9a736_600x600-crop_280.png

Reactions: Pens x

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, these meaningless wins at the expense of draft position are gonna hurt. It'll end up being like 8-10 picks of difference. Sad.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We should all root for 9-8 because it will be the funniest and most infuriating thing at the same time. I sort of want to see the meltdown.

Reactions: Factorial

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We should all root for 9-8 because it will be the funniest and most infuriating thing at the same time. I sort of want to see the meltdown.

It’s all about perspective no matter how they finish.

Tomlin fans will bark about another non-losing season.

Those of us who hope for more than Tomlin Purgatory will point out the harsh reality that it is now 4 out of 5 years Tomlin hasn’t even reached double digit wins and extended his modern franchise playoff win drought to six seasons.

If you are ok with mediocre coaching and mediocre seasons, pound your chest about Tomlin.

If you expect things like playoff wins and breaking past the 9 win mark every season, then you will have big issues with Tomlin like I do.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Cook expecting MT to walk next season as well, echoing what Dulac said:

Tomlin barely gave him much credit:

“I thought he managed it well,” he said. “He played clean. He had a high completion percentage. But it’s easier to do those things when you are playing behind an effective run game. I can’t say enough about our big dudes up front and how they controlled it.”

Can you at least give him credit for making some great throws on third down and the toss to Pickens?

Drives would have stalled without MT money throws when it mattered most.

Also didn’t connect the dots DJ was calling for Rudolph because he and MT threw fists in the locker room agt Jets.

Interesting to see two professionals put aside their differences yesterday.

Not sure I would have wanted to throw him the ball out of spite, but MT was probably using DJ as an instrument to his next gig.

MT is basically telling us he’s out of here:

That didn’t stop Trubisky from making a rather loud statement on Sunday.

“I know what I can do in this league,” he said.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I couldn't agree more. Draft position means literally nothing. Only time it's worth to "tank" is for an Andrew Luck or Manning.

Steelers are one of the better drafting teams in the league so their drafting slot isn't a concern.
Of course we're without Colbert now so who knows if the drafting success will maintain.
I don't know if it is worth tanking for, but franchise LT is the other position you usually have to draft top 10 or so. The Steelers need 1 and were sitting at 2-6 at the bye week. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting my hopes up for a top 10 pick.

Otherwise, I agree. They already took their shot at a QB and you can find good value players at the other positions lower in the draft order.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
It’s all about perspective no matter how they finish.

Tomlin fans will bark about another non-losing season.

Those of us who hope for more than Tomlin Purgatory will point out the harsh reality that it is now 4 out of 5 years Tomlin hasn’t even reached double digit wins and extended his modern franchise playoff win drought to six seasons.

If you are ok with mediocre coaching and mediocre seasons, pound your chest about Tomlin.

If you expect things like playoff wins and breaking past the 9 win mark every season, then you will have big issues with Tomlin like I do.

If they do finish 9-8, that would mean they went 7-2 to finish the season. That will the #1 talking point and it will be followed by, if they had TJ Watt in the first half of the season they would have made the playoffs........blah blah blah

Which is probably true, but making the playoffs is very meh in my book. They need to be a strong team that can do some damage, not just scratching there way in and getting blown out in the first game.

Cook expecting MT to walk next season as well, echoing what Dulac said:

MT is basically telling us he’s out of here:

And every time you say MT I think it is Mike Tomlin and I get excited when you mention him leaving. Then I'm like crap, they mean Mitch Trubisky. And thinking of Mitch, he basically didn't throw the ball in the middle of the field yesterday and the couple times he did it should have been picked off. The TEs had one whole target yesterday, Muth had 0, Heyward had 0 and Gentry had 1.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If they do finish 9-8, that would mean they went 7-2 to finish the season. That will the #1 talking point and it will be followed by, if they had TJ Watt in the first half of the season they would have made the playoffs........blah blah blah

Which is probably true, but making the playoffs is very meh in my book. They need to be a strong team that can do some damage, not just scratching there way in and getting blown out in the first game.

And every time you say MT I think it is Mike Tomlin and I get excited when you mention him leaving. Then I'm like crap, they mean Mitch Trubisky. And thinking of Mitch, he basically didn't throw the ball in the middle of the field yesterday and the couple times he did it should have been picked off. The TEs had one whole target yesterday, Muth had 0, Heyward had 0 and Gentry had 1.

First clue with MT is that the MT=Tomlin is he’s never leaving.

MT (the QB) and KP are obviously being coached to be conservative with the ball and minimize risk.

Their formula works when they commit to it, so hard to argue agt it. Especially when I said over the summer this is how they need to play to win.

So not going to be a hypocrite and bag on them for it.

If they can land a top LT in the draft and KP gets a full off-season to work with his receivers, the passing game should definitely be more exciting next season.

I say ‘exciting’ because I feel the passing game since the bye has been very efficient and yielding desirable results.

KP and MT could easily be throwing for more yards, but they shut down the passing game in the second half and run.

People all have their opinions on KP, but there is ample evidence he’s a film junkie that works his ass off.

So I assume he will have much better command of the offense next season and actually be allowed to toss the ball more heavily in the second half when they have leads.

Again, to me, the worst thing wasn’t him doing that.

The worst was the camera catching him on the sidelines bitching that he got penalized for doing it.

I just keep wondering what kind of culture allows a player to feel brazen enough to do the single dumbest non-play I’ve ever seen.

Imagine being a nothing special teams dude and feeling like you could pull that shit.

What does that say about the culture of accountability in that locker room?

Reactions: Night Shift

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Did anybody ask Tomlin about this? Would love to heat what bullshit justification he came up with for this one.

Do you really think the media asks Tomlin tough questions?

Ben has been talking about for a while this isn’t on the coach this is on the guy under center. When you get to the line and see GP one on one you throw it to him regardless of progressions.

I think the bears pick is house money and if there’s someone they really want they will trade up from the 2nd to the 1st. Tomlin can’t ever draft a chase young since he doesn’t lose enough his words

Are you welching on our bet?

Reactions: Night Shift

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
Winning out and going basically 7-2 to finsh the season would certainly be something to build on for next year, especially considering a lot felt they’d only win a few games after that rough start. It would suck for the draft position and mask some things that should be upgraded in the offseason. I would hope Khan and co are not comfortable with anything going into the offseason. Ideally, the last three games kp starts and continues to show growth, hopefully throwing some td’s and ending any question that he will be starter.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
If anyone thinks the Steelers going 7-10 instead of 9-8 would have any impact on Mike Tomlin being the head coach they are absolutely kidding themselves.

The pick they got in the Claypool trade would be #33 if the season ended today (only 31 1st round picks this year). That's helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad