OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Until Tomlin shows he can beat Hoodie, I don’t really care about any of the other variables involved to be honest.
The last time they played James caught the ball. This is a terrible pats team might look better with hoyer if Jones can’t play

Reactions: td_ice

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So Mitch was 11th intending air yards yesterday but only completed 4 out of 11 of passes 10 yards or more. He over threw Boykin and Pickens and under threw Claypool. He did have to 40 plus yard drives in OT and Muth has the leading Wr is a positive

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
So Mitch was 11th intending air yards yesterday but only completed 4 out of 11 of passes 10 yards or more. He over threw Boykin and Pickens and under threw Claypool. He did have to 40 plus yard drives in OT and Muth has the leading Wr is a positive

I was told the offense sucking last year was all Ben

-He threw it quickly bc he didn't want to get hit
-His arm was shot
-The OC's philosophy didn't match Ben's skillset

Reactions: wheelz87

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Trubisky not being able to complete balls over 10 yards is a QB problem, just as it was with Ben last season. I think the long throws he did complete were all circus catches by the receivers.

Reactions: td_ice and Peat

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I was told the offense sucking last year was all Ben

-He threw it quickly bc he didn't want to get hit
-His arm was shot
-The OC's philosophy didn't match Ben's skillset
The o line did good in pass blocking. Mitch had time but was terribly inaccurate yesterday. Mitch had more time than Ben did and did do a few things Ben couldn’t anymore like catching the JC bad snap and the flea flicker. He needed to hit Pickens or Boykin on the deep shot to back the defense up

Trubisky not being able to complete balls over 10 yards is a QB problem, just as it was with Ben last season. I think the long throws he did complete were all circus catches by the receivers.
Yeah they only 20 yard completion was DJ catch it OT

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The last time they played James caught the ball. This is a terrible pats team might look better with hoyer if Jones can’t play

This isn't exactly a good Steelers team either and they won't have Watt and possibly Harris.

One healthy long snapper for Cincy and we are talking about how this is the first team in a decade to lose after forcing five turnovers.

Everyone said the O-line was going to kill the O and I don't think they were even bad yesterday. In the spring I harped on MT not being the savior ppl thought he was going to be, but yesterday was one of the worst games I ever saw him play.

That tells me a lot of this is schematics and that is something Hoodie will take advantage of.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
I feel like I’m in opposite land. The OL was not good at all yesterday in run or pass blocking. Trubisky’s mobility saved a bunch of lost yards

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This isn't exactly a good Steelers team either and they won't have Watt and possibly Harris.

One healthy long snapper for Cincy and we are talking about how this is the first team in a decade to lose after forcing five turnovers.

Everyone said the O-line was going to kill the O and I don't think they were even bad yesterday. That tells me a lot of this is schematics and that is something Hoodie will take advantage of.
Hoodie doesn’t have the horses anymore to scheme. I don’t think we will see Harris until Buffalo at the earliest.
Yesterday was no different than the Titans game where Haden made the great tackle on 4 th and the defense forced 4 2nd half turnovers and got 4 FGs.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I feel like I’m in opposite land. The OL was not good at all yesterday in run or pass blocking. Trubisky’s mobility saved a bunch of lost yards

I'm in agreement. I thought the Oline was bad again.
People saying there was time...I just didn't see it. Yes there were occasions where MT had some time but it's not like it was frequent or lengthy. MT throws off his back foot too much...all fade away jumpers

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I thought the O-line was terrible. But maybe I am wrong but they couldn't run block to save their lives. Choosing Harris over a lineman will go down as one of the worst picks in Steelers history.

That being said, the Bengals showed that spending a crap ton of money does not fix the problem either. There is a reason why OL make it to be a free agent and they usually aren't great players. The couple guys the Steelers picked up didn't seem to do any good either.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I thought the O-line was terrible. But maybe I am wrong but they couldn't run block to save their lives. Choosing Harris over a lineman will go down as one of the worst picks in Steelers history.

That being said, the Bengals showed that spending a crap ton of money does not fix the problem either. There is a reason why OL make it to be a free agent and they usually aren't great players. The couple guys the Steelers picked up didn't seem to do any good either.

Yea it's rare a good OL becomes available in FA.
That's why coaching and spending premium picks there is critical

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think there were a ton of problems with the offence.

I think Canada's playcalling looked predictable and scared. The only time the offence really seemed to flow was in overtime when either Canada had to loosen things up and take risks, or things went off-script and Trubisky was making plays. It seemed like the main objective of his offence was never lose the ball which I guess they achieved, well done, you punted it away a ton instead. Nevermind the nature of the win, a better offence means TJ Watt isn't on the field to make that play in which he tore his pec. Well, okay maybe he is because Tomlin, but he shouldn't have been.

I think Trubisky's accuracy was noticeably bad. I'm not prepared to write him off after one game but he can't continue like that.

I also thought he looked reluctant to use his legs and reluctant to make a short pass to the RB, and I don't know if I'm blaming Canada or Trubisky for that. My one big hope for the offence this season was that increased QB mobility would increase uncertainty for the opposition, but that's a big fat negatron.

The offensive line couldn't give any RB a chance to get to the second level with a head of steam. Pass protection, some bad, some good... but I think to a certain extent the plays were being called to avoid being too much stress on it.

I also don't understand some of the personnel out there. They barely looked at Pickens. Boykin isn't really the guy you want on your first big throw of the day.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I didn’t find the OL horrendous in pass pro. They were more mediocre to average there. Run blocking was real bad though.

That game is a good example of why putting Pickett in, even if he might be an upgrade on Mitch, could potentially derail his development. They cant move the ball in the run game. The scheme wants to be a million short passes. The field is so tiny out there. The OL blows. Literally the success of the entire offense falls onto the QB right now. Even if Mitch is perfect in that game (he wasn’t good at all)… are the Steelers putting up a ton more points? I’m not convinced.

Smart to not subject Kenny to that yet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn’t find the OL horrendous in pass pro. They were more mediocre to average there. Run blocking was real bad though.

That game is a good example of why putting Pickett in, even if he might be an upgrade on Mitch, could potentially derail his development. They cant move the ball in the run game. The scheme wants to be a million short passes. The field is so tiny out there. The OL blows. Literally the success of the entire offense falls onto the QB right now. Even if Mitch is perfect in that game (he wasn’t good at all)… are the Steelers putting up a ton more points? I’m not convinced.

Burrow was put behind a bad Oline…you put your best qb in there to win games…that’s Pickett..put him in …

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Burrow was put behind a bad Oline…you put your best qb in there to win games…that’s Pickett..put him in …
Burrow’s year ended in an ACL tear and they drafted in the top 5. His rookie year legit went as poorly as possible. I don’t find that a good example to draw off of.

I just don’t want to put all the pressure on Pickett to come in and save the offense when the odds are already so stacked against whoever is the QB.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Run blocking ya, they were bad, pass blocking MT had adequate time to make plays. He's always had trouble processing and that has been one of his biggest issues next to inconsistent accuracy.

I didn't see any pass blocking issues that caused MT to struggle. I can't agree with anyone that thinks the Oline was the reason the passing game was so putrid yesterday.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Burrow also just threw four interceptions. He's been fantastic so far but there's no guarantee he doesn't flame out after all.

Also is the aim to win the next game, or to see how quickly this org can win its next super bowl?

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I think the short passes is part scheme and part Trubisky. If I remember correctly, consistently throwing short of the sticks was a major knock on him with Chicago.

That could have also been due to Chicago’s scheme at the time though.

TotesTorts

Mar 5, 2016
You can still be bad a pass blocking and not give up a ton of sacks. Trubisky’s passing lanes were swallowed up by OL getting pushed backward almost every time. Making things worse is Canada’s god awful play designs and playcalling. We have possibly the only NFL OC who has yet to figure out how to scheme his guys open or draw WR routes so his guys aren’t draped the majority of the time.

Trubisky has odd mechanics but it’s not been a huge issue for him as far as accuracy. He’s a career 64% guy and that was playing in Chicago under Nagy with one decent WR - for comparison that’s better than Matt Stafford before moving to LA

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think the short passes is part scheme and part Trubisky. If I remember correctly, consistently throwing short of the sticks was a major knock on him with Chicago.

That could have also been due to Chicago’s scheme at the time though.
Yeah I’m not absolving Mitch at all. He wasn’t good enough (although technically I guess he was). I am saying that it wasn’t like guys were running wide open and he was missing them. It was more like he just doesn’t make quality decisions quickly or read the field well. Dude made completing 3 yard outs seem hard. His placement was meh. No pocket presence. No playmaking except for the Frierermuth grab.

Butttt… if he is perfect? Do we score that much more? Maybe the streak to Pickens but I’m struggling to remember all the well schemed plays and routes that we left on the table in the pass game.

That’s what I mean with Kenny. If it was just failure to execute by Mitch— send KP in. But it doesn’t seem like there was much of anything really there and putting KP in seems like setting him up for failure.

Canada, his scheme, and his play calling is a major problem until he proves otherwise imo.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Yeah it is obvious that a Pickett offense is going to be Ben redux, 2 yard rhythm passes. Don't get him hurt. Let and encourage Mitch to run around out there. But more running and intermediate/deep passes, please.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think Canada's playcalling looked predictable and scared. The only time the offence really seemed to flow was in overtime when either Canada had to loosen things up and take risks, or things went off-script and Trubisky was making plays. It seemed like the main objective of his offence was never lose the ball which I guess they achieved, well done, you punted it away a ton instead. Nevermind the nature of the win, a better offence means TJ Watt isn't on the field to make that play in which he tore his pec. Well, okay maybe he is because Tomlin, but he shouldn't have been.

We've been seeing this since Todd Haley. So I just don't get why people can't comprehend this it Tomlin's philosophy: Attrition football, let your defense win the game, your offense can't make turnovers, etc.

It worked in 2008 with 1 of the best defenses ever.
It won't work in today's NFL. And it won't work with your star defensive player out

Even when they had the Killer B's it was a slow methodical march to the EZ so they wouldn't expose their bad defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad