OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I thought the o line was decent in pass protection as well.

Jut read the offense had 64 yards TOTAL in the second half? That’s insane - didn’t know it was that bad. Holy hell.

That can’t include OT because that would be like 20 yards a quarter.

Didn't include overtime, they had two 40+ drives there.

But yeah. Uhm. Still insanely awful.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Didn't include overtime, they had two 40+ drives there.

But yeah. Uhm. Still insanely awful.

Ya that’s why it didn’t add up to me then.

If Bengals didn’t lose their snapper though, Steelers would have been the first team in a decade to lose a game when having forced five turnovers… and that would be because they would have only had 65 yards of offense in the second half.

I think we would all be delusional to think today was any different than last season.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He had opportunities to run when he would roll out. He chose to hang on to the ball and make poor decisions. There were times he had clear lanes for positive yardage and didn’t take it.

No designed runs, but the option is there for him.

I’ve calmed down from being super pissed about his play, but he needs to watch a bunch of this film and learn from it.

Yeah the play where he barely got the first and nearly got stripped was especially egregious.

Mitch and the staff need to know what he is: a running quarterback. It is so easy to see the athleticism but as usual the coach is outsmarting itself. Treat him as a mobile QB and tell him to take the runs when they are available and we'll be much better.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They need to back the Brinks truck up for Flores to keep him here long term. That was the best our defense has looked in a long time. We have to find a way to establish a run game. 26 mins time of possession for us is going to kill our defense.

It will be very interesting to see what Mitch looks like next game and if he gets better. I can give him a pass on some of his play being his first regular season game with a new team against a decent defense. He needs to get better though. He made some great plays, but part of the way this offense works is if he is a threat to run. He was as much a threat to run today as Ben was last year.

Bush - 2 tackles. Minkah - 10 tackles.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Minkah had 10 SOLO tackles. He had 14 total, haha. He was awesome today.

He was a mad man. He needs to play a bit more in control though. The personal fouls need to stop. Really unfortunate Watt may be out long term. This defense could be amazing if they could stop the run.

7 sacks. 4 ints. 2 FF. 1 FR. They were just on the field WAY too much.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah the play where he barely got the first and nearly got stripped was especially egregious.

Mitch and the staff need to know what he is: a running quarterback. It is so easy to see the athleticism but as usual the coach is outsmarting itself. Treat him as a mobile QB and tell him to take the runs when they are available and we'll be much better.
Mitch is mobile but has 1000yards in his career as a rusher and half that came in 2018. He doesn’t throw well on the move because he is a front leg thrower. He needs roll outs play action and to pick up 1st downs with his legs. I do think boots in the red zone will be walk in tds because teams will sell out to stop Najaee. He is a poor man’s Tanahill

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The Oline, I thought, was decent in pass pro…they were terrible in the run game. The Oline is not the biggest issue. #1 is Canada. You can design plays that get the ball down the field on rollouts etc. You can also design plays, like most teams do, where you set up the same formation keys whether it’s a pass or a run so you don’t tip the opposing team off…one reason we can’t run the ball is that every team knows when we’re running that ball…designing plays that look the same would help a lot. #2 problem is that when we did have time to throw, Trubisky was terribly inaccurate or made a poor read..in fact, it seemed as if his first read wasn’t there, he took a check down…I know Tomlin thinks you can be a successful winning team with a good defense and an offense that just doesn’t hurt you, but that’s not true…these days you need an offense that actually makes plays lol
Warner did a good breakdown of Mitch and and his biggest take away from the Chicago tape was in f Mitch didn’t know pre snap where to go he was lost. He doesn’t process well he has to play with tempo and attack the 15 yard seems. He isn’t a great deep ball thrower.
Cincinnati wasn’t honoring the sweeps but it did setup the TE screen the fake te shovel set up a roll out pass to DJ

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Mitch is mobile but has 1000yards in his career as a rusher and half that came in 2018. He doesn’t throw well on the move because he is a front leg thrower. He needs roll outs play action and to pick up 1st downs with his legs. I do think boots in the red zone will be walk in tds because teams will sell out to stop Najaee. He is a poor man’s Tanahill

At this point he needs to embrace his mobility as his calling card. He is not the golden child #2OA at this point. Teams going forward don't care about protecting his long-term health as the Bears did. >50% of this fanbase wants to see his backup anyway.

We aren't going to use him like Newton or Allen but he should almost always be in motion and never turn down the opportunity to scamper for 5-6 yards unless it's 3rd and long.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
At this point he needs to embrace his mobility as his calling card. He is not the golden child #2OA at this point. Teams going forward don't care about protecting his long-term health as the Bears did. >50% of this fanbase wants to see his backup anyway.

We aren't going to use him like Newton or Allen but he should almost always be in motion and never turn down the opportunity to scamper for 5-6 yards unless it's 3rd and long.
The reason why he was 2oa was his mobility and his success with RPo. If Cousins and Jimmy G can be successful moving the pocket and using play action no reason why Mitch can’t either. On paper he is perfect for Canada offense cause it’s similar to the North Carolina offense he ran for a year in college

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
They need to back the Brinks truck up for Flores to keep him here long term. That was the best our defense has looked in a long time. We have to find a way to establish a run game. 26 mins time of possession for us is going to kill our defense.

It will be very interesting to see what Mitch looks like next game and if he gets better. I can give him a pass on some of his play being his first regular season game with a new team against a decent defense. He needs to get better though. He made some great plays, but part of the way this offense works is if he is a threat to run. He was as much a threat to run today as Ben was last year.

Bush - 2 tackles. Minkah - 10 tackles.

I was actually really encouraged with Bush’s play this game. It makes me think he won’t be the liability he was last year.

The Bob Spillane experiment can end though. I don’t know what they’re doing making him the linebacker in dime.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I was actually really encouraged with Bush’s play this game. It makes me think he won’t be the liability he was last year.

The Bob Spillane experiment can end though. I don’t know what they’re doing making him the linebacker in dime.

Bush was attacking the ball, but the issue is he's too small. He's like a pinball. If he doesn't get bumped or blocked, he's good.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Pyrrhic victory for sure

What else is there to say about the defense. I don't remember seeing such a performance since about 2008. Just amazing what they didn't without any run support.

The Offense:

- I hate making judgments from just 1 game. I think you can only start to draw patterns after about game 3. But man this looks exactly like what we saw all of last year.
-I haven't seen a passing chart, but I recall maybe 3 throws to the middle of the field all game. So don't tell me this bullshit that "Ben never wanted to throw to the middle". This U shaped offense is a Canada staple and Tomlin signs off on it
- Considering the Oline blows and Canada sucks donkey balls, how can anyone come to the conclusion that MT is the problem? He very well could be an issue or a compentent QB, but with these clows surrounding him it's almost impossible to draw a conclusion

Tomlin:
- Been critical of him in the past. But he correctly challenged on the 1st series. He got hosed on that. Isn't the stat that he's like 0 for his last like 20 challenges?
- He had his defense ready to go
-No clock issues while his counterpart's definiciency in that area definitely contributed to the loss. How do you not bleed more clock on that final punt? Idiotic

Final note: people blaming the LS have the wrong scapegoat. The Cincy blocker screwed up on the PAT. You are always taught "step inside FIRST, because that's your biggest threat". The blocker went outside and Minkah easily blocks it. The outside guy being free is immaterial in most kicks- especially from that range.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pyrrhic victory for sure

What else is there to say about the defense. I don't remember seeing such a performance since about 2008. Just amazing what they didn't without any run support.

The Offense:

- I hate making judgments from just 1 game. I think you can only start to draw patterns after about game 3. But man this looks exactly like what we saw all of last year.
-I haven't seen a passing chart, but I recall maybe 3 throws to the middle of the field all game. So don't tell me this bullshit that "Ben never wanted to throw to the middle". This U shaped offense is a Canada staple and Tomlin signs off on it
- Considering the Oline blows and Canada sucks donkey balls, how can anyone come to the conclusion that MT is the problem? He very well could be an issue or a compentent QB, but with these clows surrounding him it's almost impossible to draw a conclusion

Tomlin:
- Been critical of him in the past. But he correctly challenged on the 1st series. He got hosed on that. Isn't the stat that he's like 0 for his last like 20 challenges?
- He had his defense ready to go
-No clock issues while his counterpart's definiciency in that area definitely contributed to the loss. How do you not bleed more clock on that final punt? Idiotic

Final note: people blaming the LS have the wrong scapegoat. The Cincy blocker screwed up on the PAT. You are always taught "step inside FIRST, because that's your biggest threat". The blocker went outside and Minkah easily blocks it. The outside guy being free is immaterial in most kicks- especially from that range.

I wouldn’t say we have only one game to judge the offense - this is 19 games under Canada and yesterday looked much the same as the previous 18.

Can’t imagine Canada’s offense suddenly coming alive agt Hoodie, but this is a Tomlin team so they may score 30+ agt NE and then score a FG and lose to Cle.

Will be interesting to see if TA is calling his own shots on D or if Tomlin is meddling and calling the plays again.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
This offense is going to be very bad this year. And that won't change with this OL.

If Watt really did tear his pectoral, just pack it in.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I wouldn’t say we have only one game to judge the offense - this is 19 games under Canada and yesterday looked much the same as the previous 18.

This is my own standards of judgment if you will. I try to take the approach of "this is a new season with a new QB and some other new pieces, let's see what happens". So I try to give it at least a few games.

But I won't hard argue that this looks quite similar than last year and the year before it.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Can’t imagine Canada’s offense suddenly coming alive agt Hoodie, but this is a Tomlin team so they may score 30+ agt NE and then score a FG and lose to Cle.

Will be interesting to see if TA is calling his own shots on D or if Tomlin is meddling and calling the plays again.
I don’t know why anyone is scared of New England Tua who played average put up 20 points against them. Waddle and Hill could have had 200 yards each with better QB play and their o line wasn’t great. Even if the offense looks good the next 3 weeks it will be because of the crappy opponents on the schedule we will not be tested until Buffalo

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Regardless of Canada, I wasn't impressed with Trubisky at all. The number of times he maybe made one read then just chucked it up was troublesome. And alot of his throws were not accurate at all.

And I do agree he could use his feet more. That run late in the game with him holding the ball out and just jogging was ridiculous. It's like he is trying to prove he his a pocket QB.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is my own standards of judgment if you will. I try to take the approach of "this is a new season with a new QB and some other new pieces, let's see what happens". So I try to give it at least a few games.

But I won't hard argue that this looks quite similar than last year and the year before it.

That was my approach before the game, then I saw mostly the same offense as last season - with the exact same poor results.

I keep thinking Canada’s offense is so bad that it can’t get any worse… odds say it has to eventually be at least just bad instead of comical.

At some point he would have to learn how to actually design an NFL offense…. I think.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don’t know why anyone is scared of New England Tua who played average put up 20 points against them. Waddle and Hill could have had 200 yards each with better QB play and their o line wasn’t great. Even if the offense looks good the next 3 weeks it will be because of the crappy opponents on the schedule we will not be tested until Buffalo

Until Tomlin shows he can beat Hoodie, I don’t really care about any of the other variables involved to be honest.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
That was my approach before the game, then I saw mostly the same offense as last season - with the exact same poor results.

I keep thinking Canada’s offense is so bad that it can’t get any worse… odds say it has to eventually be at least just bad instead of comical.

At some point he would have to learn how to actually design an NFL offense…. I think.

I think the the ire should be directed at Tomlin. That is precisely the offense he wants. We've seen it prior to Canada Sure it doesn’t really do much but no turnovers. Tomlin doesn’t understand the modern NFL.

Until Tomlin shows he can beat Hoodie, I don’t really care about any of the other variables involved to be honest.

I think the last time he beat NE was a night game (maybe 2011?). I remember at the end of the game Troy P intentionally kicked a fumble.

Reactions: Night Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad