OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
well, I would agree with him that offensive playcalling (and I would add the QB play) was equal to if not worse than the play of the Oline…

The problem here is that you have incredibly unrealistic expectations for Trubisky and I am betting Pickett.

The Steelers could not throw quick slants without the Bengals getting pressure. The run game was non-existant. There is no deep passing with this line.

Him avoiding a turnover today was nothing short of a miracle.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah my buddy and I were in the top 1% of age I think, so we’re a little out of the target audience but there’s some of that stuff I enjoy. Those two sets were good but I really enjoyed Red Jumpsuit.
Red jumpsuit were pretty good too, yeah. We actually targeted them as when we wanted to be there to see them.

We're 36, which feels like the exact target demographic. Almost all of these bands started out when I was around high school.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Wow, what a crazy crazy game. Felt like I was on drugs. Such a punch in the gut to lose Watt - who was absolutely incredible this game. So many chances to put this game away - and, you know, avoid having to push your D to the brink and allow for extra opportunities for injuries, but I digress. The officiating was disgraceful. Cincy with multiple sacks surrendered & turnovers yet somehow plays a nearly penalty-free game? Meanwhile, the threshold was razor-thin for the Steelers. O-line was concerning, but to never even try to throw deep just set themselves up to face a 10-man box all game.

I read through all the comments here after. While it matched the pendulum swings of the game and the ineffective offense, I really don't understand why some of you can't be happy for the team? I swear many of you would be much, Mitch happier at a BDSM club. I'm offering that as legitimate life advice. Go Steelers!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We need Trubisky scrambling and guys running open for splash plays. Our running game is going to suck due to OL - don't care about Najee really, but the OL isn't good enough - and Trubisky isn't some rhythm QB. His legs and our receiving/TE core IS the offense.

Trubisky had a D+ performance today, heavily redeemed himself with the play in OT but we really need a philosophy change in offense. Trying to run a series of 4-5 yard plays to make 1st downs is not how football works. Move the ball in chunks, or just punt anyway.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Good news is Cincinnati is the best defense we play all month. Probably will not need Najaee until the Buffalo game. JJ missed 2 months with a torn pec and Tuitt finished a season so possibly TJ is back by week 10 bye. Can they be 4-4 5-3 heading to the bye I think so

Reactions: domaug

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Najee's lisfranc injury if it gets worse could be a season ender. HIs draft mate Etienne was knocked out last year from that. Those are particularly nasty for runningbacks. It's hard to get back to 100% after suffering one.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Najee's lisfranc injury if it gets worse could be a season ender. HIs draft mate Etienne was knocked out last year from that. Those are particularly nasty for runningbacks. It's hard to get back to 100% after suffering one.

There are rumors it’s not serious, but who knows.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m just going to take a patient approach to the game today. This team showed us both in the good and bad column what it’s capable of. Let’s just hope that’s, this is week 1, and as the season progresses more things slip into the good column than bad.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Ben sucked but the problems continue on offense. Maybe we didn’t blame Matt Canada enough last season or just gave him a free pass due to Ben’s crappy play. My 6 year old could tell you what the Steelers were going to do on the next play on offense.

Sooo I guess Big Ben didn’t hold back Canada’s great system? I don’t know how the defensive coaches can be in the same room as Canada after today.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ben sucked but the problems continue on offense. Maybe we didn’t blame Matt Canada enough last season or just gave him a free pass due to Ben’s crappy play. My 6 year old could tell you what the Steelers were going to do on the next play on offense.

Sooo I guess Big Ben didn’t hold back Canada’s great system? I don’t know how the defensive coaches can be in the same room as Canada after today.

I’m glad you keep the bit across all sports.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Last year it was a 3-headed monster of incompetence between Canada, Ben and the OL.

This year the QB and OL should be marginally better. But Canada is a terrible coach. I think 80% of this board would have fired him already so not sure what you're on about. There's like 1 guy here who thinks Canada doesn't suck.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
O

Ben’s corpse waking up from the dead and calling it’s own plays for a quarter or two every game is the only thing that worked offensively last season.

Not sure why anyone thought MT would make it some top ten offense and shit.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem here is that you have incredibly unrealistic expectations for Trubisky and I am betting Pickett.

The Steelers could not throw quick slants without the Bengals getting pressure. The run game was non-existant. There is no deep passing with this line.

Him avoiding a turnover today was nothing short of a miracle.
The Oline, I thought, was decent in pass pro…they were terrible in the run game. The Oline is not the biggest issue. #1 is Canada. You can design plays that get the ball down the field on rollouts etc. You can also design plays, like most teams do, where you set up the same formation keys whether it’s a pass or a run so you don’t tip the opposing team off…one reason we can’t run the ball is that every team knows when we’re running that ball…designing plays that look the same would help a lot. #2 problem is that when we did have time to throw, Trubisky was terribly inaccurate or made a poor read..in fact, it seemed as if his first read wasn’t there, he took a check down…I know Tomlin thinks you can be a successful winning team with a good defense and an offense that just doesn’t hurt you, but that’s not true…these days you need an offense that actually makes plays lol

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Oline, I thought, was decent in pass pro…they were terrible in the run game. The Oline is not the biggest issue. #1 is Canada. You can design plays that get the ball down the field on rollouts etc. You can also design plays, like most teams do, where you set up the same formation keys whether it’s a pass or a run so you don’t tip the opposing team off…one reason we can’t run the ball is that every team knows when we’re running that ball…designing plays that look the same would help a lot. #2 problem is that when we did have time to throw, Trubisky was terribly inaccurate or made a poor read..in fact, it seemed as if his first read wasn’t there, he took a check down…I know Tomlin thinks you can be a successful winning team with a good defense and an offense that just doesn’t hurt you, but that’s not true…these days you need an offense that actually makes plays lol

I thought the o line was decent in pass protection as well.

Jut read the offense had 64 yards TOTAL in the second half? That’s insane - didn’t know it was that bad. Holy hell.

That can’t include OT because that would be like 20 yards a quarter.

Reactions: Andy99

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Also, why sign a mobile qb but put exactly 0 qb runs or run option plays in the playbook?

Like, Matt Canada realizes that Mitch Trubisky does not have late career Big Ben's skillset, right?
He had opportunities to run when he would roll out. He chose to hang on to the ball and make poor decisions. There were times he had clear lanes for positive yardage and didn’t take it.

No designed runs, but the option is there for him.

I’ve calmed down from being super pissed about his play, but he needs to watch a bunch of this film and learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad