The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
AK had no brains, no footspeed, no footwork to set up his release, no character, was dommed on the boards every single play. He looked like a "tank" cuz of those late hits after the puck was gone, but he got outmuscled every shift and showed no willingness to be hard on the puck. Horrible draft pick. Especially when you consider that a franchise BIG, RIGHT-HANDED, CANADIAN CENTERMAN was there for the taking (exactly what Gainey said he was looking for...).

The Hawks are the only team to win a Cup with as many Euros as they have, but they don't have AK type players, they have Hossa (ANOTHER guy we missed in the draft), Hjalmersson, Kruger, Oduya, Rozsival.... warriors.
Ya that was one bad first round pick considering all the players available in the first round that year. Out of all those great players available we had pick probably the dumbest one in regards to hockey sense.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Cue the what-ifs on Montreal's end.

So in 2 years he's got not 1 but 2 first line centres a top 6 winger, a top 4 defensman for basically spare parts as well as drafted players like Nichushkin etc.

Why would anyone have wanted him in Montreal?? I mean we still have DD and Plex as our top 2 centres and if not for PK, Price and Patches who were all here BEFORE Bergevin we'd effectively have 2/5th of **** all at this point...

I'd say trade them Emelin but I'm afraid they'd end up with PK, Price or Patches in that deal.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Could new Kesler's deal be what Plekanec is seeking for an extension?

Six years, $41.25 million. ($6.875M AAV).

IMO Plekanec is worse as a player and he's two years older. So hopefully not. Although I don't see why Plekanec' camp won't try and use Kesler's deal as a comparable.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

That's a LOT of average money for a guy who is a 45/50 points a season producer at this point in his career , with a lot of mileage on his body. Lost a step already too. That ROR contract is really starting a trend for a certain type of player I guess...

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
IMO Plekanec is worse as a player and he's two years older. So hopefully not. Although I don't see why Plekanec' camp won't try and use Kesler's deal as a comparable.

Both signed the same contract back in 2010 (30M for 6 years.)

I think he's a comparable for Plekanec. I don't think we want to commit that much money to him again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I don't see why his agent wouldn't, all the comparables out there indicate that Plekanec could reasonably ask for 6M+ on a new contract.

I guess we'll see how indispensable he is to this organization.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't see why his agent wouldn't, all the comparables out there indicate that Plekanec could reasonably ask for 6M+ on a new contract.

I guess we'll see how indispensable he is to this organization.

I think Plekanec will aim for a Markov like contract but for more years. 5.75M for 4 or 5 years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think Plekanec will aim for a Markov like contract but for more years. 5.75M for 4 or 5 years.

Maybe...which is more than fair

But I still can't see how, if you project the Habs roster out, how you can justify that type of salary going forward.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Both signed the same contract back in 2010 (30M for 6 years.)

I think he's a comparable for Plekanec. I don't think we want to commit that much money to him again.

Apples and oranges (UFA vs RFA).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Maybe...which is more than fair

But I still can't see how, if you project the Habs roster out, how you can justify that type of salary going forward.

Yeah, $5.75 x 4 sounds like a really logical proposal for Plekanec. He's worth it, but the question is how much is he worth on the trading block? Any deal would have to be done sooner, because his value is diminishing the closer he gets to UFA status.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Not a chance Plex will get Kessler money. Kessler is younger, tougher and a much better playoff performer than Plex at .7 ppg vs .57 ppg.

If Plex wants more than $5-5.5M I'd trade him and start moving the kids up. Try to get a top 6 winger or a high end prospect to fill the role. Just another reason to play Chucky at centre and see what you got.

Patches Chucky Gally
XXX DD Kassian
DLR Eller DSP
Bournival/Weise Mithcell Flynn

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
So in 2 years he's got not 1 but 2 first line centres a top 6 winger, a top 4 defensman for basically spare parts as well as drafted players like Nichushkin etc.

Why would anyone have wanted him in Montreal?? I mean we still have DD and Plex as our top 2 centres and if not for PK, Price and Patches who were all here BEFORE Bergevin we'd effectively have 2/5th of **** all at this point...

I'd say trade them Emelin but I'm afraid they'd end up with PK, Price or Patches in that deal.

There was zero chance Spezza or Seguin were getting traded inside the division..

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There was zero chance Spezza or Seguin were getting traded inside the division..

That's besides the point and something we can never really know, just speculate about. I'm not talking about those players in particular. Any team in the West etc. could have acquired them as well. It was Nill he identified his needs and filled them by trading for them. He's a great GM and deserves some props here. Bergevin is saying centres never get traded period and here you have Nill getting 2 in 2 years for arguably very little in assets.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I like Pleks but I hope the Habs don't pay that much for Pleks for that type of term. Eventually I see MB seeing the light and needing to ship out some of the Habs players who kind of disappear in the playoffs every year. So I'm hoping these players don't have contracts that will make them tough to move when MB finally wakes up and see's this.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
That's besides the point and something we can never really know, just speculate about. I'm not talking about those players in particular. Any team in the West etc. could have acquired them as well. It was Nill he identified his needs and filled them by trading for them. He's a great GM and deserves some props here. Bergevin is saying centres never get traded period and here you have Nill getting 2 in 2 years for arguably very little in assets.

I think it's too early to call Nill a great GM. He signed Hemsky to 4MM per year for 32 points. Gonchar signing was a mistake. Spezza put up Plecanec numbers last year, he doesn't appear to be the 75 point guy they were hoping for. Seguin was obviously a steal. I think he overpaid for Sharp, not sure they need another 6MM 50 point guy.

Will be interesting to see how his team performs this year but his moves haven't resulted in a winning team as of yet. He is willing to take risks though.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I think it's too early to call Nill a great GM. He signed Hemsky to 4MM per year for 32 points. Gonchar signing was a mistake. Spezza put up Plecanec numbers last year, he doesn't appear to be the 75 point guy they were hoping for. Seguin was obviously a steal. I think he overpaid for Sharp, not sure they need another 6MM 50 point guy.

Will be interesting to see how his team performs this year but his moves haven't resulted in a winning team as of yet. He is willing to take risks though.
They won't make the playoffs.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Eleven and a half months away from unrestricted free agency, Ryan Kesler inked a massive extension with the Ducks on Wednesday, a six-year, $41.25-million pact that includes trade protection and a $6.875-million average annual value.

It’s kind of a big deal.

And it’s one that should earn thank-you bouquets from Eric Staal, Anze Kopitar and Steven Stamkos — all centres entering their own walk seasons, all of them younger, and all more coveted than Kesler.

Staal, Kopitar or bust. Let's go Bergy.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...arables-anaheim-ducks-age-term-41-25-million/

77% thinks Kesler robbed the Ducks lmao

Last edited:

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
The Habs have currently 11 forwards with one way contract...With Chucky it will be 12. Do you guys know if MB generally sign 12 or 13 forwards fwith one way contract at the beginning of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad