The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Calipari is the single most overrated coach on the planet in any sport. All of his teams are chokers. With the talent he has had at UK he should have at least 3 or 4 titles by now.

When one and done is gone and coaches will actually have to build teams he wont sniff the Final Four again...

Calipari has less experienced players on the team since they don't stay beyond 2 or 3 years.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
When one and done is gone and coaches will actually have to build teams he wont sniff the Final Four again...

I'll be really interested in seeing how much more parity there is in college bball once the NBA lifts this one year deal. I have to think the Tennessee type squads will remain relatively flat but the top end teams will come down significantly. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the older coaches that rely on these NBA loans go straight into retirement as soon as it hits. Coach K immediately comes to mind.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'll be really interested in seeing how much more parity there is in college bball once the NBA lifts this one year deal. I have to think the Tennessee type squads will remain relatively flat but the top end teams will come down significantly. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the older coaches that rely on these NBA loans go straight into retirement as soon as it hits. Coach K immediately comes to mind.

Actually Coach K was one of the best at building great, deep teams filled with 3 and 4 year players. He only started going for the one and done players later in the game when he found out he could out recruit Calipari if he tried.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I had a feeling Bruce Pearl revenge was going to be strong, but I didn't expect that. Ha! Go Vols, you big lugs.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
They probably couldnt have moved up to a 1 regardless. Kentucky blew the 1 seed by losing to UT.

They would have had a shot at least. But honestly looks like it worked out ok anyway since they’re not only a 2 seed but also get to stay local (regionally speaking).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
They would have had a shot at least. But honestly looks like it worked out ok anyway since they’re not only a 2 seed but also get to stay local (regionally speaking).

Whereas Kentucky blew a chance to be a 1 seed and play in Louisville.

Reactions: LCPreds

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Alliance Week 6
Already recapped the Memphis game, lost to the Stallions with an overall poor effort in all phases and then claim Johnny Manziel later that evening. It'll be interesting to see how fast he can get on the field, he's supposed to report for practice today.

In the Saturday night game, Orlando loses for the first time to the Arizona Hotshots. I don't think the Shots did anything to really win the game, but they didn't do anything to lose it. Meanwhile Garrett Gilbert had his first game where he didn't really look that good and it was still a one score game at 22-17.

The Sunday games were more entertaining, including the early blowout game where the San Antonio Commanders defense forced four turnovers leading to points and they had a huge punt return for a TD to steamroll Atlanta 37-6. This was the most dominant performance of the season from any team and it was fun to watch. The Commanders might be about to clear up the uncertainty in the West.

And finally San Diego got a taste of their own medicine, losing to a last second FG 32-29 against the Birmingham Iron. In a twist to the storyline, it was the Iron offense that covered for their defense in this one. Starting QB Keith Price was knocked out with a suspected concussion and Luis Perez, who had started the first five games, was called on. Perez hadn't thrown a TD pass all season and immediately stepped in to throw two of them. It was back-and-forth, both teams doing some things good as well as making mistakes. Overall a great way to spend a Sunday evening.

Week 6 power rankings:

1. Orlando Apollos (5-1) - Despite the loss, still the team to beat, they'll be focused next week.
2. San Antonio Commanders (4-2) - Set themselves apart from the pack this week.
3. Birmingham Iron (4-2) - They're beatable, but seem to have a slight edge on most teams.
4. Arizona Hotshots (3-3) - Toss up with San Diego, but they get extra credit for taking down Orlando.
5. San Diego Fleet (3-3) - Would probably have been in 3rd if they beat Birmingham, all these teams are close.
6. Salt Lake Stallions (2-4) - Still unsure if they're in the middle pack or bottom.
7. Atlanta Legends (2-4) - Awful team, but not the worst.
8. Memphis Express (1-5) - They had about six good quarters a few weeks ago, but now clearly the bottom team.

next week...
3/23 Orlando @ Atlanta: 1p TNT
3/23 Salt lake @ San Antonio: 7p NFLN
3/24 San Diego @ Arizona: 3p CBSSN
3/24 Birmingham @ Memphis: 7p NFLN

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Garrison Matthews, the phenom at Lipscomb, is the grandson of Capt. Nerdo and Predperson, who posted on the old boards. I hate that Lipscomb is out for their sakes. I kind of have a love hate relationship with Belmont, love the school and that my kid graduated from there, wish I had some of that tuition money back. Ha!

I had a bad feeling about Tennessee's chances with Auburn. They're good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Lipscomb won in the 1st round of the NIT tonight...

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
They gotta beat Temple in the play in first..

And so they did, 81-70! The Bruins looked shaky at times, but so did Temple.

Even though Maryland is in the Big10, I haven't really seen them play this year. They were 13-7 in conference, the #5 of 14 teams.

They lost to #2 Virginia by 5 in mid November and split with the Badgers, each winning at home.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well, Belmont's out. That's too bad. They gave it a good shot, except for the last 24 seconds. I think they'd all like to do that over.
Good run, boys.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Oh yeah I know. I'm just skipping ahead

Well you were almost right. As much as i despise Belmont in the regular season i was rooting for them to bolster the OVC reputation.

A whole lot of near upsets so far... hoping my Racers get the upset mojo today...

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Well you were almost right. As much as i despise Belmont in the regular season i was rooting for them to bolster the OVC reputation.

A whole lot of near upsets so far... hoping my Racers get the upset mojo today...
racers will make it to the sweet 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium