The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I wish nobody would've asked this. It was a $10 bet and I made $9.85 because all of the teams I bet on were between -350 and -21500 and it only got the total to -117 and now it looks so much less impressive that I hit on a 10 team parlay. :laugh:
Correct that's not impressive lol. In 2015 (I think) I hit a 7 game college football parlay. It was like 5 minutes before early games came on and I threw 5 dollars on it and won $735

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Btw, this weekend's schedule...

Saturday 2/23
Arizona @ Salt Lake: 2:00C on B/R Live
Memphis @ Orlando: 7:00C on NFLN

Sunday 2/24
Birmingham @ Atlanta: 3:00C on CBS-SN
San Antonio @ San Diego: 7:00C on NFLN

B/R Live is a free app, also available on smart TV's and devices such as Roku. Some content is pay-per-view but AAF games will be free.

You can also watch all games live for free on the AAF app. This week the San Antonio Commanders and San Diego Fleet should be the best matchup to watch. Memphis is on the road against probably the best team in the league, it could be ugly or shockingly close, nobody really knows for sure this early.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Salt Lake beats Arizona for their first win of the season, another very entertaining Alliance game. Hopefully Memphis can get into the win column tonight as well. It'll be airing in progress or just starting on NFLN when the Preds game is over.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
What a game! Memphis lost 21-17 but it was sure exciting.

Orlando Apollos scored on the opening drive, missed the conversion and later got a FG to go up 9-0 early. Otherwise the Express defense was really good as usual. But starting QB Christian Hackenberg really stunk it up as he has through both of the first two games as well.

So then finally at halftime Mike Singletary makes the switch and puts Zach Mettenberger in at QB and it was like night and day for the offense. He throws the first TD in team history and gets the conversion, there was a FG drive and then another TD.

Unfortunately the defense was gassed in the second half (along with just bad tackling) and gave up a couple of scores.

But it was still their best complete game. Held Orlando in check really as that team had come in averaging 38.5 points/game. Good stuff to build on and after next week the schedule opens up. If they can get on a run and go 5-5, it might be enough to get into the playoff, 6-4 should definitely do it but it would be hard for even the best team to go on a 6-1 run.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Two more fun games today. Both winners, Birmingham and San Diego, led by a strong running game. Alliance hasn't had the best football at times, especially receivers, but it's been entertaining for sure.

My power rankings after three weeks:
1. Orlando Apollos (3-0)
2. Birmingham Iron (3-0)
3. San Diego Fleet (2-1)
4. Arizona Hotshots (2-1)
5. San Antonio Commanders (1-2)
6. Salt Lake Stallions (1-2)
7. Memphis Express (0-3)
8. Atlanta Legends (0-3)

And really 3-7 is close and will be cleared up a bit more in the next two weeks. Atlanta is easily the worst team and Orlando is still the best despite a close call vs the Express. Birmingham had a chance to pass Orlando, their defense is insane, but the passing offense wasn't too good today, definitely the worst from Perez so far.

Memphis at 0-3 has generally been praised for their defense, just behind Birmingham, but the offense has been putrid. Then in the second half this week they bench Hackenberg in favor of Mettenberger and it was like the whole team flipped a switch. The season can turn around if this team is closer to what they showed under Mett this week.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Woot, MLS starts tomorrow. Considering the Preds trend and the Kings being out of it, at least something to watch along with the Clippers. Dear Galaxy, please dump Gio dos Santos for a real DP. K thanks!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Alliance Week 4, this season is flying by. If anyone wants a sports distraction from the Preds, this is a great option...

Saturday 3/2:
San Diego Fleet @ Memphis Express - 3:00C on B/R Live
Orlando Apollos @ Salt Lake Stallions - 7:00C on NFL Network

Sunday 3/3:
San Antonio Commanders @ Birmingham Iron - 3:00C on CBS Sports Network
Atlanta Legends @ Arizona Hotshots - 7:00C on NFL Network

All games will also be streamed free on the Alliance app, AAF.com and YouTube.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Memphis Express get their first ever victory!!!

The defense showed up well today and they have a new kicker who was 4-4 including the game winner. Offense is still a work in progress but much better than the first 2.5 games.

The San Diego QB was knocked out early which helped too, they're on their third string guy now. And head coach Mike Martz did them in when he went for a fake punt on his own 30 with 4 minutes to go in a tie game. The punter failed to gain the line and the Express kicked the winner.

Memphis is now 1-3, but still probably no hope at the playoffs with six games remaining and a pair of 3-0 teams ahead of them, they realistically nees to go 5-1 or 6-0 to challenge for the post season.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Memphis Express get their first ever victory!!!

The defense showed up well today and they have a new kicker who was 4-4 including the game winner. Offense is still a work in progress but much better than the first 2.5 games.

The San Diego QB was knocked out early which helped too, they're on their third string guy now. And head coach Mike Martz did them in when he went for a fake punt on his own 30 with 4 minutes to go in a tie game. The punter failed to gain the line and the Express kicked the winner.

Memphis is now 1-3, but still probably no hope at the playoffs with six games remaining and a pair of 3-0 teams ahead of them, they realistically nees to go 5-1 or 6-0 to challenge for the post season.
I was hoping to finally watch San Diego since they would be on local coverage here BUT NO it was Bleacher Report live or whatever the hell it was on.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I was hoping to finally watch San Diego since they would be on local coverage here BUT NO it was Bleacher Report live or whatever the hell it was on.

Two weeks in a row i haven't been able to get BR Live to work properly. Last week I watched on AAF.com and this week on Youtube. BR Live is just choppy and laggy, but maybe it's just my system (8 years old) because I guess some people watched it there.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Two weeks in a row i haven't been able to get BR Live to work properly. Last week I watched on AAF.com and this week on Youtube. BR Live is just choppy and laggy, but maybe it's just my system (8 years old) because I guess some people watched it there.
I may be wrong on this and I forgot to check today but I think you can watch all games for free on the AAF app.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I may be wrong on this and I forgot to check today but I think you can watch all games for free on the AAF app.

You can, but it's usually just the skycam feed without commentary or score overlay.

BR Live is free also but you have to sign up for an account.

The AAF app also has a fantasy/predictor game live during each real game in which you predict the next play and earn points (Run/Pass; Left/Center/Right; 1st Down/Touchdown) but it's usually a good 30-45 seconds behind the broadcast so it's kind of useless at the moment. They also keep saying "There's all kinds of easter eggs in the app", but nobody i've seen on message boards, facebook, reddit or twitter has found one...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
This was the first week in Alliance where I didn't feel like the games were a huge entertainment success, most of the offenses really struggled in week 4. Most attendance numbers were up again except in Birmingham, but that's understandable with the weather that moved through Alabama. A few teams got their first wins, another took their first loss, and this is definitely the most difficult week to do power rankings so far, but i'll give it a shot...

1. Orlando Apollos (4-0)
2. San Antonio Commanders (2-2)
3. Birmingham Iron (3-1)
4. San Diego Fleet (2-2)
5. Arizona Hotshots (2-2)
6. Memphis Express (1-3)
7. Salt Lake Stallions (1-3)
8. Atlanta Legends (1-3)

(Edit: had Iron's record reversed)

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Almost forgot to post the AAF schedule for this weekend, I know that the thousands and thousands of hardcore Alliance fans on HF Preds were freaking out over my delay... But today features the most anticipated matchup of the season so far when 4-0 Orlando travels to Birmingham to take on the 3-1 Iron. This weekend will also mark the halfway point of the inaugural season.

Saturday 3/9:
Orlando Apollos (4-0) @ Birmingham Iron (3-1) - 1:00C on TNT
Salt Lake Stallions (1-3) @ San Diego Fleet (2-2) - 7:00C on NFLN

Sunday 3/10:
Memphis Express (1-3) @ Atlanta Legends (1-3) - 3:00C on CBSSN
San Antonio Commanders (2-2) @ Arizona Hotshots (2-2) - 7:00C on NFLN

Honestly they should all be pretty good matchups, even the 1-3 teams look better than their record. If Orlando beats Birmingham, not only would it make Orlando a virtual lock for the playoffs, but would also mean that the Memphis/Atlanta winner moves to within a game of Birmingham and the East might actually have an entertaining playoff chase in the second half.

The West has three teams at 2-2, and Salt Lake isn't bad either, it's a very cutthroat division with four solid teams that will be up and down the standings all season.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Let me preemptively say I effing hate Belmont. I'm fairly certain they will trounce my Racers tonight.

But was pretty cool to see Magic Johnson and a bunch of other NBA bigwigs in Evansville for the game last night...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So Orlando easily handled Birmingham, particularly early before the Iron made a QB change. Aaf.com was also streaming a dedicated "Spurrier Cam" during the game which was very entertaining.

Orlando has got to be the favorites to win it all barring injuries. The good thing for everyone else is that being a developmental league, the players have an NFL out in their contracts and I really expect Garrett Gilbert to get a contract as a 2/3 QB in the NFL next year which will severely impact the Apollos offense... I hope.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Started out watching Preds on TV and AAF on my phone, turned off the Preds in the 3rd to focus on this Fleet/Stallions game which was nearing the end of Q3... And soooo glad I did.

That fourth quarter was one of the best I've seen at any level of football. Interceptions both ways, deep passes, a comeback TD and 2pt to take the lead in the last minute and then a quick drive and FG to win it as time expired. So action packed and dramatic, it's got everyone in AAF circles buzzing right now.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm wondering if the NFL is writing a thank you note to the AAF for getting the scabs of the soon to be NFL strike in shape?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yesterday Memphis lost to Atlanta 23-20 after missing two conversion attempts, so the game was very winnable, but Atlanta actually dominated offensively with nearly double the yards and the majority of possession time. Memphis scored fast when they did, and Atlanta had long, sustained drives. It's a huge letdown for Memphis who had looked really good for six quarters. This game could have put them a game out of the playoffs, but now their hopes are kind of done.

In the evening game, the San Antonio Commanders jumped out to a 26-0 lead in the first half... and won 29-25 as Arizona mounted a huge second half comeback but ultimately fell short. Just another epic game for Alliance.

Attendance numbers also rebounded this weekend as the weather was improved.

So we're already halfway through with the inaugural season, it's been a ton of fun to watch all of these games (I've seen 19 of 20 so far), and here are my updated power rankings...

1. Orlando Apollos (5-0) - They're clearly better than everyone else, not much to say here.
2. San Antonio Commanders (3-2) - Consistency is the only thing keeping them from Orlando's level
3. San Diego Fleet (3-2) - Tough call here, but I think the Fleet have a better offense than Birmingham
4. Birmingham Iron (3-2) - A great defense, I've had them #2 most of the season, but their offense needs to step up.
5. Arizona Hotshots (2-3) - Their record should be better, but that western conference is brutal.
6. Atlanta Legends (2-3) - The offense is suddenly good, i'm not sure they can sustain this two game streak.
7. Salt Lake Stallions (1-4) - The unluckiest team in the league? They look good every week but never win.
8. Memphis Express (1-4) - Big regression this week, the defense is great but the offense needs a ton of work.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
UT, Vandy, Belmont and Lipscomb all lose in the same weekend. The last 2 with a tourney bid on the line. Not great for TN hoops!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
UT, Vandy, Belmont and Lipscomb all lose in the same weekend. The last 2 with a tourney bid on the line. Not great for TN hoops!
Garrison Matthews, the phenom at Lipscomb, is the grandson of Capt. Nerdo and Predperson, who posted on the old boards. I hate that Lipscomb is out for their sakes. I kind of have a love hate relationship with Belmont, love the school and that my kid graduated from there, wish I had some of that tuition money back. Ha!

I had a bad feeling about Tennessee's chances with Auburn. They're good at shooting themselves in the foot.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad