The only roster players we'd actually trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who could be included in a trade to become cap compliant, without upsetting team chemistry?

• Gryz

Votes: 91 85.0%
  • Forbort

Votes: 38 35.5%
  • Shatty

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Poitras

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Beecher

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Steen

Votes: 71 66.4%
  • Boqvist

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • Lauko

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Debrusk!

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Linus!

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
We know the management group will lie to the fan base so I wouldn’t take the GMs word as gospel.
One thing to lie and another to call out “subpar goaltending” as a reason for the series loss if he was truly injured to that extent. It seems more like an excuse/crutch for people tbh. There were a load of reasons for the debacle imo

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I'm saying shared the net heading into the playoffs. As in nobody was really the #1 come playoff time. Nobody was THE killer.

And my point about your 5th best player watching most games is still the main point.

Anyway remember

1) I don't think they move Linus till the draft

but

2) They'll be a better club for it if it's to improve another position

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Seems pretty simple to follow along. Bruins rotated goalies all season, only to play one guy the first 6 games in 11 nights in the play-offs, which Ullmark did not do all season, resulting in possible performance and injury issues, so the answer is it didn't work out.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I'm saying shared the net heading into the playoffs. As in nobody was really the #1 come playoff time. Nobody was THE killer.

And my point about your 5th best player watching most games is still the main point.

Anyway remember

1) I don't think they move Linus till the draft

but

2) They'll be a better club for it if it's to improve another position
Who’s the 5th best player?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Has a team ever successfully purposely rotated goalies in the playoffs and made a deep run?

Seems like the bruins are trying to reinvent the wheel with this one.

We’ve watched our own bruins teams lose quite a few playoff series against goalies that on paper were considered much weaker than ours. Quite a few of those goalies ended up fading away or falling off hard shortly after knocking us out of the playoffs.

I think the 1A/1B is really helpful in the regular season but I just don’t see how it works in the playoffs.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In a series they would've won starting Swayman from game 1 instead of letting Ullmark flop like a fish to go down 0-2

I seriously doubt that.

The Bruins lost all 4 games in Carolina. Two with Ullmark, Two with Swayman. Outscore 7-0 in first periods, down at least 2-0 in each game.

They were overmatched down there.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't follow the reasoning on why Swayman should have started game 5 after two resounding road wins by Linus? As for increase in information after game 5 are Bruins fans still saying he was unable to play in game 6 after everyone in the organziation including Linus said he was good to go. Post series news conference the GM debunked all those injury excuses the fans came up with no?

Well aside from the fact that Ullmark clearly pulled something against Washington, and didn't look his best self out there, it was a perfect time to rest him. Wins aside, he was obviously fighting it. But, let's also just say for the sake of argument that he was 100% fine....the original argument was that they split games. So Swayman should have been in there for one of games 1-4 at least, certainly by 5, and definitely by 6. It was a misuse by Montgomery and I would be shocked to see him make that mistake again.

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
Has a team ever successfully purposely rotated goalies in the playoffs and made a deep run?

We’ve watched our own bruins teams lose quite a few playoff series against goalies that on paper were considered much weaker than ours. Quite a few of those goalies ended up fading away or falling off hard shortly after knocking us out of the playoffs.

I think the 1A/1B is really helpful in the regular season but I just don’t see how it works in the playoffs.
Yep. Look at the last 3 times the Bruins went to the finals:

2011 - all Thomas in each game

2013 - all Rask in each game

2019 - all Rask again

play the hot hand all the way, which I think this year should be Swayman

Reactions: CellyHard

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
If the goal is to give Swayman 7.5M so he can play some of the time and some of the playoffs as one of the top 3 goalies in the NHL maybe...

I dunno guys. That's not great cap use

Reactions: BBruins

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
They did? Sure looked like they decided last year Ullmark was the guy considering Swayman didn't appear until Game 7 after two brutal losses and an injured Ullmark. The year before, Ullmark played the first two and then they ran Swayman out there 5 games in a row.

Why do you ignore the fact that it's been over a decade since one goalie played 60+ and ran the table in the playoffs? And ignore that other teams have used two goalies successfully down the stretch and into the playoffs to go on long runs, often successful runs. Times change, the game has evolved. Winnipeg runs Hellybuyck into the ground year after year playing 75% of the regular season games into the playoffs and it gets them nowhere despite having one of the best goalies in the league for quite some time now.

As a poster above said, stopping pucks is still stopping pucks, regular season or playoffs. The fatigue factor is a real thing. You really didn't answer any of my questions but went into some fantasy booking stuff with Noah Hanifin, Gryz, etc.

And if we are talking about the same results from the previous years. Boston went and did what your proposing last year. They went out and traded for a legitimate Top 4 left-shot D-man in Orlov and bumped Gryz out of the line-up and where did that get them? Looks like this rock solid Top 4 D (on paper) isn't the panacea a lot of posters here make it out to be.
It’s funny how you bring up Hellybuyck like he’s the only workhorse in the league and that strategy can’t win in the postseason when Vasilevski played every game in 20 and 21 and they won both years…

Binnington ran the show in 19

Adin Hill played 3 rounds straight after injury

I guess you could point the finger at Colorado with the Keumper and Francouz finals but I really don’t think it mattered who was in net that series they were so loaded

Regardless, you’re acting like this two goalie tandem is now the norm for the postseason but it’s really more of an effective strategy for the regular season.

I want my best players playing every night down the stretch. You can only dress 18 skaters and one goalie and when you have holes in your roster and no assets to spend to improve them the really only option is taking away from an area of strength

Exactly this

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s funny how you bring up Hellybuyck like he’s the only workhorse in the league and that strategy can’t win in the postseason when Vasilevski played every game in 20 and 21 and they won both years…

Binnington ran the show in 19

Adin Hill played 3 rounds straight after injury

I guess you could point the finger at Colorado with the Keumper and Francouz finals but I really don’t think it mattered who was in net that series they were so loaded

Regardless, you’re acting like this two goalie tandem is now the norm for the postseason but it’s really more of an effective strategy for the regular season.

I want my best players playing every night down the stretch. You can only dress 18 skaters and one goalie and when you have holes in your roster and no assets to spend to improve them the really only option is taking away from an area of strength

Exactly this

I'm glad you bring up Vasilevski. In 2020, he played 52 regular season games followed by a 20 week break before they finished the season in the bubble. He didn't play 60+ and roll right into the playoffs.

In 2021 he only played 42 games before the playoffs as it was a shortened season of 56 games.

In 2022 he played 63 in the regular season, and he looked cooked in the finals. He's never won a cup playing 75% of games followed by 4 rounds of playoffs.

Love how you acknowledged then disregarded Colorado by saying "they were so loaded". Well done.

Adin Hill appeared in 16 straight playoff games. But he only played 27 in the regular season and went two full months between appearances from March until May. Vegas had used 4 goaltenders over 10 games each that year and that doesn't include the presumptive starter (Lehner) before the season began.

Last year, Sergei Bobrovsky didn't play for 3 1/2 weeks before he was put in against Boston. That mattered in the final outcome of the series. He benefitted from the rest. Conversely, he looked cooked in the finals as was his team who couldn't sustain that hard-charging forecheck for 4 rounds of the playoffs.

The Capitals ran Holtby in the ground from 2015-2017, asking him to play 73. 66 and 63 games respectfully. In 2018, he shared the net with Grubauer and only played 54 and didn't even start the playoffs until Game 3. I don't think that it's a coincidence he had his best playoff run that year.

The 2017 Penguins played Murray 49 games and Fleury 38 in the regular season. Fleury won Rounds 1 and 2, Then Murray was back and won Rounds 3 and 4. Pitched back-2-back shutouts in the final two clinching games. Their opponent, Pekke Rinne, was at Game 83 of his season by the end.

Murray carried the ball in the 2016 playoffs, but he only played 13 games in the NHL and 31 in the AHL prior to the playoffs. And keep in mind he was only 22 years old at the time. The guy they beat in that year's finals was Jones who had played 65 regular season games and reached Game 89.

Binnington ran with it in the 2nd half of 2019, but overall his NHL and AHL totals for that year was 48 games prior to the playoffs, only 12 prior to his January call-up to the Blues.

Our own Tuukka Rask only cracked 60+ games three times in his career. 2015 (70), 16 (64) and 17 (65). Two years were his only two years to miss the playoffs. The third year, his coach got fired mid-season and the performance of his back-ups prior to the firing was absolutely awful so much that it got Khudobin waived and demoted until Cassidy got hired. When Julien got fired on Feb 7th, 2017, Rask was already up to Game 44.

What's that, 8 years of examples from 2016 to now where not a single championship team ran one goalie out there for 75% of the games plus 4 complete rounds of playoffs and was successful at the end. Zero examples. The workload in the regular season has an impact on the workload and success of the post-season. Running your perceived No.1 guy 60+ games appears to be a failed strategy based on the last decade of NHL hockey. That's your norm now. And in the Bruins case, they've conditioned their two goalies to expect to play frequently, so they should stick to that come playoffs as what they have been conditioned for also matters. At the end of the day, managing goalie workloads, much like managing pitching workloads in baseball, is a real thing and that's a heck of a lot easier when you have two guys back there the coaches and players trust.

All that to say the situation in net will be evaluated every off-season. Swayman and Ullmark won't be teammates forever. If the Bruins have faith in Bussi to play 30-35 games at minimum, maybe they move Ullmark this off-season. But right here today and at this year's deadline, it's not the time in my opinion. And with a rising cap and some less-than ideal contracts coming off the books (Gryz, Forbort), maybe they don't need to bust up their tandem to improve another area of the team.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm glad you bring up Vasilevski. In 2020, he played 52 regular season games followed by a 20 week break before they finished the season in the bubble. He didn't play 60+ and roll right into the playoffs.

In 2021 he only played 42 games before the playoffs as it was a shortened season of 56 games.

In 2022 he played 63 in the regular season, and he looked cooked in the finals. He's never won a cup playing 75% of games followed by 4 rounds of playoffs.

Love how you acknowledged then disregarded Colorado by saying "they were so loaded". Well done.

Adin Hill appeared in 16 straight playoff games. But he only played 27 in the regular season and went two full months between appearances from March until May. Vegas had used 4 goaltenders over 10 games each that year and that doesn't include the presumptive starter (Lehner) before the season began.

Last year, Sergei Bobrovsky didn't play for 3 1/2 weeks before he was put in against Boston. That mattered in the final outcome of the series. He benefitted from the rest. Conversely, he looked cooked in the finals as was his team who couldn't sustain that hard-charging forecheck for 4 rounds of the playoffs.

The Capitals ran Holtby in the ground from 2015-2017, asking him to play 73. 66 and 63 games respectfully. In 2018, he shared the net with Grubauer and only played 54 and didn't even start the playoffs until Game 3. I don't think that it's a coincidence he had his best playoff run that year.

The 2017 Penguins played Murray 49 games and Fleury 38 in the regular season. Fleury won Rounds 1 and 2, Then Murray was back and won Rounds 3 and 4. Pitched back-2-back shutouts in the final two clinching games. Their opponent, Pekke Rinne, was at Game 83 of his season by the end.

Murray carried the ball in the 2016 playoffs, but he only played 13 games in the NHL and 31 in the AHL prior to the playoffs. And keep in mind he was only 22 years old at the time. The guy they beat in that year's finals was Jones who had played 65 regular season games and reached Game 89.

Binnington ran with it in the 2nd half of 2019, but overall his NHL and AHL totals for that year was 48 games prior to the playoffs, only 12 prior to his January call-up to the Blues.

Our own Tuukka Rask only cracked 60+ games three times in his career. 2015 (70), 16 (64) and 17 (65). Two years were his only two years to miss the playoffs. The third year, his coach got fired mid-season and the performance of his back-ups prior to the firing was absolutely awful so much that it got Khudobin waived and demoted until Cassidy got hired. When Julien got fired on Feb 7th, 2017, Rask was already up to Game 44.

What's that, 8 years of examples from 2016 to now where not a single championship team ran one goalie out there for 75% of the games plus 4 complete rounds of playoffs and was successful at the end. Zero examples. The workload in the regular season has an impact on the workload and success of the post-season. Running your perceived No.1 guy 60+ games appears to be a failed strategy based on the last decade of NHL hockey. That's your norm now. And in the Bruins case, they've conditioned their two goalies to expect to play frequently, so they should stick to that come playoffs as what they have been conditioned for also matters. At the end of the day, managing goalie workloads, much like managing pitching workloads in baseball, is a real thing and that's a heck of a lot easier when you have two guys back there the coaches and players trust.

All that to say the situation in net will be evaluated every off-season. Swayman and Ullmark won't be teammates forever. If the Bruins have faith in Bussi to play 30-35 games at minimum, maybe they move Ullmark this off-season. But right here today and at this year's deadline, it's not the time in my opinion. And with a rising cap and some less-than ideal contracts coming off the books (Gryz, Forbort), maybe they don't need to bust up their tandem to improve another area of the team.
03AA6C22-4CEE-4BD0-B514-8AA18243391C.gif

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

We're talking about riding 1 goalie in the playoffs, splitting games in the regular season makes sense. And no you dont need Ullmark here to do that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We're talking about riding 1 goalie in the playoffs, splitting games in the regular season makes sense. And no you dont need Ullmark here to do that.

No your talking about riding one goalie in the playoffs. I'm talking about managing their workload over the course of an entire season to get the most out of your goaltenders. It goes hand-in-hand.

And if you need a guy to play 35-ish games in the regular season, you need someone you trust to do it. Unless it's someone unproven, those goalies get paid a decent dollar as well. When your talking about paying an Ullmark 5 million vs. another capable goaltender at 3 million, your sort of splitting hairs in the grand scheme of things. And if you have a 2nd goaltender I trust enough to play 35 games, then that goalie should also be trusted enough to make appearances in the playoffs.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I wouldn't feel good about Gryz for a pick.

That would put Lindholm, Forbort, Woterspoon and Lohrei on the left side. Considering Forbort just came back from injury and got hurt again, I'd say the left side would be pretty weak.
Moving Gryz for a pick opens up cap space , so that you can add another more physical defenseman.

Reactions: bme44

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

You keep on talking about playing 60+ games in the regular season or like 75% of starts but no one is advocating for that…

Swayman has 26 GP and Ullmark has 23 GP so the Bruins have 33 games left. They could trade Ullmark tomorrow and have Swayman play 20 with a backup who plays 13 and he’d only play 46 games which is slightly more than half…

If that’s not ‘rested enough’ to play every game in the postseason then idk what is…

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You keep on talking about playing 60+ games in the regular season or like 75% of starts but no one is advocating for that…

Swayman has 26 GP and Ullmark has 23 GP so the Bruins have 33 games left. They could trade Ullmark tomorrow and have Swayman play 20 with a backup who plays 13 and he’d only play 46 games which is slightly more than half…

If that’s not ‘rested enough’ to play every game in the postseason then idk what is…

Whose the back-up? What are you paying him? Bruins haven't secured a playoff spot yet, can you be certain the new back-up can win enough of those 13 games?

It's like this past summer people kept saying to replace Ullmark with a league minimum back-up. To which I replied, where the heck are these capable league minimum back-ups too? Even decent back-ups get paid a decent dollar. Unless they want to go with someone unproven on their ELC.

Keep in mind that part of my point to rotating them is that is what they have been conditioned to do. That is what their bodies are now used to and athletes want to be in a rhythm and maintain routines as much as possible. Regular season and playoffs. Which is one reason why I thought it was foolish to do what they did last year against Florida. The rotation works for THIS particular tandem. It's like training weightlifter doing 30 bench presses every day for 6 months, then on month #7 asking them to start doing 90 every day rather than conditioning their body to work up to that number.

I guess for me it boils down to this.....you need two trusted goaltenders to expect to win a championship in today's NHL. Trusted goalies usually require a relatively decent amount of cap space unless you have a trusted goalie on his ELC. This is the tandem the Bruins have right now and see no reason to risk anything by deviating from it during this current season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad