The Oilers are an old team

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
I mean they were a game away from winning the Cup last year lol? Of course there will be hype around them. Everyone knows their defense is ass for the most part, and we don’t have a consistent good goalie. Skinner can get hot and play a solid stretch of hockey, but he’s no world beater. With that being said the top two lines are still very strong, and once our three stars get it going the entire team does. “Poorly constructed “ as you say, this team is ten times better than what it’s displaying, and will eventually pick it up. I’m not saying we are going to the Cup again, but you’re fooling yourself if you think we will continue this type of play (as frustrating as it has been)

Next thing you’re gonna tell me is you hate Van Damme movies. Or something completely insane like that
Noooooooo. I was told that Ekholm is a true top pairing defenseman and Bouchard is the realm of Makar/Hughes/Fox. I was told that Skinner figured it out and is a legit #1 goalie. I was told that their legendary PK is sustainable. I was told depth scoring the only weakness on this team and they fixed it adding the legend that is Jeff Skinner who would compete with Hyman for 50 garbage goals while McDavid and Draisaitl flew like magestic swans all of the ice dishing easy goals to those two.

This is a team that started off awful, switched up coaches and caught some juice only to still not win their division. Dodged the Knights bullet which likely would've knocked them out in round 1, magically got by the Stars with that PK and shoulda woulda coulda been swept in the Finals.

Theyre off to the same start and will make the playoffs since the Pacific is awful, but I half want to see them have minor success so they give McDavid $15 and Bouchard $10 and we have to watch the same poorly constructed team for the next 8-10 seasons wishing McDavid was in a better market being shown off to the hockey world.

They're not as bad as the Habs Covid Cup run which was an obvious fluke/luck/whatever you want to call it, but its not far behind.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Holloway is a player who was willing to pay the price and go to the dirty areas to get open. He was coming into his own last playoffs.

Jeff Skinner comes across as someone who isn't willing to go to the dirty areas and just stays around the perimeter. If he's not scoring, he doesn't seem very useful.
This ^^^ times four. Most guys’ value to their club is their play off the puck. The Oilers lost four of those guys this summer. McDavid and Drysatl can only do so much. Their roles will change to take on defensive responsibilities that these other players helped with. Skinner isn’t that kind of player. Not too sure why the Oilers signed him tbh, especially when they had young guys they needed to keep, and lost.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Oilers lost all their young guys, who played with energy and speed, over the summer. They are much different club than at the end of last season.
lol. Opposing fans are too funny

Last year when we started slow it was, “oilers have zero depth, and if McDavid and Drai aren’t producing the Oilers are a terrible now

Now this year it’s, “oilers lost their young guns, totally different team”. Got it!

I admit losing Holloway did suck, but you’re kidding yourself if you think us losing a couple young players is going to stink us. We started last year 2-9 or whatever it was and caught fire. This team currently is still strong, and capable of going on a huge win streak. I’m not saying we are cup contenders, but we are better than this by far

It is the oldest in the league. It's a fact.
Cool. Anyway, I will be back when we are on a winning streak. Everyone will go quiet as they always do, and wait for the oilers to lose again so they can come up with more reason as to why we are losing lol. Never changes on the main boards

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
lol. Opposing fans are too funny

Last year when we started slow it was, “oilers have zero depth, and if McDavid and Drai aren’t producing the Oilers are a terrible now

Now this year it’s, “oilers lost their young guns, totally different team”. Got it!

I admit losing Holloway did suck, but you’re kidding yourself if you think us losing a couple young players is going to stink us. We started last year 2-9 or whatever it was and caught fire. This team currently is still strong, and capable of going on a huge win streak. I’m not saying we are cup contenders, but we are better than this by far

Cool. Anyway, I will be back when we are on a winning streak. Everyone will go quiet as they always do, and wait for the oilers to lose again so they can come up with more reason as to why we are losing lol. Never changes on the main boards
Fogelle isn’t young but he played with a lot of speed. Holloway, McLeod, and Broberg were young and fast. Who (exactly) did the Oilers replace these four fast players with?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Noooooooo. I was told that Ekholm is a true top pairing defenseman and Bouchard is the realm of Makar/Hughes/Fox. I was told that Skinner figured it out and is a legit #1 goalie. I was told that their legendary PK is sustainable. I was told depth scoring the only weakness on this team and they fixed it adding the legend that is Jeff Skinner who would compete with Hyman for 50 garbage goals while McDavid and Draisaitl flew like magestic swans all of the ice dishing easy goals to those two.

This is a team that started off awful, switched up coaches and caught some juice only to still not win their division. Dodged the Knights bullet which likely would've knocked them out in round 1, magically got by the Stars with that PK and shoulda woulda coulda been swept in the Finals.

Theyre off to the same start and will make the playoffs since the Pacific is awful, but I half want to see them have minor success so they give McDavid $15 and Bouchard $10 and we have to watch the same poorly constructed team for the next 8-10 seasons wishing McDavid was in a better market being shown off to the hockey world.

They're not as bad as the Habs Covid Cup run which was an obvious fluke/luck/whatever you want to call it, but its not far behind.
Lmfao I love these type of comments hahahahahaha. “Oilers dodged this, oilers did that, oilers fired a coach so they got a lucky run” anything to make your ridiculous horrible argument seem half intelligent. Florida was on a terror. Ripped through the Bruins, beat the rangers and everyone said the oilers didn’t stand a chance and we took them to game 7. Now it’s, “oilers dodged the knights”. This year if we make it again it will be, “oilers dodged the avalanche” lmao. Oh my god.

Please go back and quote all these, “I heard people say this” you probably had one member or two that over blew the hype of Ekholm. Everyone alive on the oilers board knows we don’t have a solid defense, we haven’t in years. What we did say is, “it improved drastically from the year before”

Comparing us to Montreal’s Covid year is insane. They had a hot goalie that led them to the cup finals. Oilers have made playoffs 5 years in a row, conference finals three years ago and a game away from winning it all last year.

It wouldn’t matter with people like you. Oilers could win the cup 5 years in a row, and you would still have something completely stupid to say. Oilers live rent free in your head. You would rather talk about them and watch them lose, then watch your own crappy team (whoever that is, which I don’t care)

Crow

May 19, 2014
If the Oilers didn't fall a goal or 2 short, it would have been greatest accomplishment in team sports history. Bar none. He was that close.
Maybe if he scored both of the goals they lacked it would be top ten. Florida was a good championship caliber team but no one is going to remember them as some unbeatable juggernaut that McDavid was up against just because the oilers came out flat and sucked at the start of the series.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This ^^^ times four. Most guys’ value to their club is their play off the puck. The Oilers lost four of those guys this summer. McDavid and Drysatl can only do so much. Their roles will change to take on defensive responsibilities that these other players helped with. Skinner isn’t that kind of player. Not too sure why the Oilers signed him tbh, especially when they had young guys they needed to keep, and lost.

I can see why they got rid of Foegele, they needed his cap space as he was making too much as a 3rd liner. They essentially used his cap space on Jeff Skinner for one year. Jeff will still get 30 goals because he's going to stay on the top 2 lines all year but he doesn't play hard, isn't a fast skater, doesn't hit, isn't good defensively, doesn't kill penalties. So he will be used purely as a triggerman. Even Kane brings much more than Jeff does. Jeff hasn't even experienced playoff hockey before so he has no idea what it's like.

Foegele and McLeod were a big part of their PK last year. I think their PK takes a dip this year. McLeod is a much better 4th line centre than Ryan is.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can see why they got rid of Foegele, they needed his cap space as he was making too much as a 3rd liner. They essentially used his cap space on Jeff Skinner for one year. Jeff will still get 30 goals because he's going to stay on the top 2 lines all year but he doesn't play hard, isn't a fast skater, doesn't hit, isn't good defensively, doesn't kill penalties. So he will be used purely as a triggerman. Even Kane brings much more than Jeff does. Jeff hasn't even experienced playoff hockey before so he has no idea what it's like.

Foegele and McLeod were a big part of their PK last year. I think their PK takes a dip this year. McLeod is a much better 4th line centre than Ryan is.
The back pressure that Fogelle, McLeod, and Holloway provided is going to make problems for the Oilers’ D off the rush. Add in D zone starts and PK and that has its effects. Are McDavid and Drysatl going to get more D zone starts to make up for that? Not too sure what the club was thinking with their moves over the summer.

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
tinyurl.com

This guy gets it.

0c05214815aca08208caa749c00bce02.gif

Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The back pressure that Fogelle, McLeod, and Holloway provided is going to make problems for the Oilers’ D off the rush. Add in D zone starts and PK and that has its effects. Are McDavid and Drysatl going to get more D zone starts to make up for that? Not too sure what the club was thinking with their moves over the summer.

Knoblauch will rely more on Henrique, Brown, Janmark and Ryan. But the problem is 3 of those guys are 4th liners. If Henrique misses time, that bottom 6 doesn't look very good.

Also they no longer have the option of playing Henrique on the wing in the top 6 because Ryan would then be their #3C. Henrique looked good on McDavids wing last year. McLeod was a very solid #3C for them. It will be interesting to see who gets moved up when injuries happen to their top 6. I doubt Kane even plays a game this year.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
the oilers are doomed, even if they win a cup with McDrai....they will not be able to do what they could have done which have a dynasty.

too many contracts signed to big dollars and term and not enough keeping of youth as a result, they oilers core gets older and the holes need to be plugged with aged veterans who are hopefull for a cup run.

Instead of staying, the likes of Holloway and Broberg leave for offer sheets. They let Foegele walk...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Knoblauch will rely more on Henrique, Brown, Janmark and Ryan. But the problem is 3 of those guys are 4th liners. If Henrique misses time, that bottom 6 doesn't look very good.

Also they no longer have the option of playing Henrique on the wing in the top 6 because Ryan would then be their #3C. Henrique looked good on McDavids wing last year. McLeod was a very solid #3C for them. It will be interesting to see who gets moved up when injuries happen to their top 6. I doubt Kane even plays a game this year.
How long before Podkolzin is put on waivers? He looks like one of those “lost in no man’s land” kind of guys.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
the oilers are doomed, even if they win a cup with McDrai....they will not be able to do what they could have done which have a dynasty.

too many contracts signed to big dollars and term and not enough keeping of youth as a result, they oilers core gets older and the holes need to be plugged with aged veterans who are hopefull for a cup run.

Instead of staying, the likes of Holloway and Broberg leave for offer sheets. They let Foegele walk...
The best chance for McDavid to get a Cup was last playoffs. Their club is not nearly so good after this summer’s changes.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
How long before Podkolzin is put on waivers? He looks like one of those “lost in no man’s land” kind of guys.

Podkolzin is just a warm body to fill the roster. He contributes nothing, just isn't a good player in general. I can't believe there's no one on the farm who can bring more to the table than him. Expect very little offence from their bottom two lines, 95% of their goals scored is going to be from the top 2 lines.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The best chance for McDavid to get a Cup was last playoffs. Their club is not nearly so good after this summer’s changes.
agreed, how they can justify going to having guys like Hollaway, Foegle and Broberg to guys like Troy Stecher, Jeff Skinner and Victor Arvidsson. To be fair, I like Arvidsson but he is older...the Oilers has usual panic...not matching Broberg's offer sheet was a huge mistake, as was hollaways to a slightler less degree

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Jeff Skinner was their best player last night and scored
Hell, old man Perry scored again last night, a goal that should counted..would have 2 goals already this year
This isn’t on the depth

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
One of the dumbest posts in here

The Oilers have the 2nd most playoff series wins the past 3 seasons..how does that compare to the Habs?
That’s the past. The Oilers took a big step back this last offseason. Who replaces Fogelle, Broberg, McLeod, Holloway?

Hell, old man Perry scored again last night, a goal that should counted..would have 2 goals already this year
This isn’t on the depth
Wasn’t the score 4-1? The Oilers lost a lot of youth and speed last summer.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This isn’t on the depth
Jeff Skinner has scored a lot of goals in this league. Do you know what they have added up to? How are his linemates doing on the old plus minus sheet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad