The Oilers are an old team

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
agreed, how they can justify going to having guys like Hollaway, Foegle and Broberg to guys like Troy Stecher, Jeff Skinner and Victor Arvidsson. To be fair, I like Arvidsson but he is older...the Oilers has usual panic...not matching Broberg's offer sheet was a huge mistake, as was hollaways to a slightler less degree

Losing Broberg is going to hurt both short and long term for the Oilers. He's fit in really well on the Blues top 4D. The Oilers now have two #7/#8 dmen in as full-time guys on the blue line. Dermott and Stetcher would be spending their time in the press box on any other NHL team.

If any of their top 4 D get injured, it's only going to get worse. Could you imagine Kulak on the top pair? Yikes. There's no way this team wins the cup this year with the current roster.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Foegle, Holloway, McLeod were good depth guys especially Foegle who had speed, size, PK utility, and secondary scoring. Instead they get Skinner, a perennial loser. And Perry, another 40 year old loser.

Defense is comically bad. Bouchard isn’t even good defensively and he plays on the top pair and is essentially babysat by a 35 year old. Nurse, Emberson, Stecher, Kulak, Brown as the rest of your d core isn’t a serious team.

Reactions: NailsHoglander

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
One of the dumbest posts in here

The Oilers have the 2nd most playoff series wins the past 3 seasons..how does that compare to the Habs?
They get a bye against the Kings every year because of that garbage division.

Kings lol, Flames lol, smoked by the Avs
Kings lol, smoked by the Knights
Kings lol, Canucks lol, Stars (legit win. Nice work PK)

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Lmfao I love these type of comments hahahahahaha. “Oilers dodged this, oilers did that, oilers fired a coach so they got a lucky run” anything to make your ridiculous horrible argument seem half intelligent. Florida was on a terror. Ripped through the Bruins, beat the rangers and everyone said the oilers didn’t stand a chance and we took them to game 7. Now it’s, “oilers dodged the knights”. This year if we make it again it will be, “oilers dodged the avalanche” lmao. Oh my god.

Please go back and quote all these, “I heard people say this” you probably had one member or two that over blew the hype of Ekholm. Everyone alive on the oilers board knows we don’t have a solid defense, we haven’t in years. What we did say is, “it improved drastically from the year before”

Comparing us to Montreal’s Covid year is insane. They had a hot goalie that led them to the cup finals. Oilers have made playoffs 5 years in a row, conference finals three years ago and a game away from winning it all last year.

It wouldn’t matter with people like you. Oilers could win the cup 5 years in a row, and you would still have something completely stupid to say. Oilers live rent free in your head. You would rather talk about them and watch them lose, then watch your own crappy team (whoever that is, which I don’t care)
They get an essential bye round every year because of the kings. The Knights easily couldve knocked them off n round 1 last year if it landed that way. Instead they get a cake walk to the WCF.

How is it different than Montreals? You had a hot PK that will never be seen again.

If the Oilers win the Cup any years in a row, let alone 5, I will bow down.

I think they are poorly constructed and last year was a fluke. McDavid/Drais are good enough to always make the playoffs and win a round or two. I think that is all they'll get until the roster s cleaned up. Skinner and the likes are bandaids.

Im hoping McDavid goes to NYR/TOR/LA and is showcased correctly.

Reactions: thaman8765678

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That’s the past. The Oilers took a big step back this last offseason. Who replaces Fogelle, Broberg, McLeod, Holloway?
Avridsson, who's looked great, replaces Foegele...Skinner replaces Mcleod...Holloway only played 38 games and had 9 points, not essential to the team
I've been on record as saying I would've kept Broberg

Wasn’t the score 4-1? The Oilers lost a lot of youth and speed last summer.
Oilers could use McDavid not having 2 points and a -5...or Drai with 1 PP goal
start there

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
They get an essential bye round every year because of the kings. The Knights easily couldve knocked them off n round 1 last year if it landed that way. Instead they get a cake walk to the WCF.

How is it different than Montreals? You had a hot PK that will never be seen again.

If the Oilers win the Cup any years in a row, let alone 5, I will bow down.

I think they are poorly constructed and last year was a fluke. McDavid/Drais are good enough to always make the playoffs and win a round or two. I think that is all they'll get until the roster s cleaned up. Skinner and the likes are bandaids.

Well you keep assuming. We would have lost to Vegas. Playoffs 5 years in a row, two conference finals and a game away from beating the best team in the league. I will give you every team has a kryptonite. Vegas always plays oilers tough. Just like the Devils for whatever reason always play tough against the Bruins. Senators I think do well against them too. We played a tough Dallas team and beat them in 6, and took Florida to 7. You think we are poorly constructed team. I will agree and any oilers fan that we all want better goaltending , that is a constant.

Lmao go to Toronto. The team that has one playoff series in like two decades hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one. I needed that laugh this morning

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
coulda shoulda woulda...
maybe the Knights should have won their last game

because the Oilers didn't eek into the playoffs, because the Oilers have a history of winning series...everything Montreal wasn't
hahaha, you're be gonna be shook next summer

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
The Oilers are terrible. They had a historically lucky run last year when they played the terrible no good Kings, and then 2 injured teams took them to game 7.

They lost a lot of their depth this year. They are not a great hockey team. The only reason people all picked them is McDrai.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Foegle, Holloway, McLeod were good depth guys especially Foegle who had speed, size, PK utility, and secondary scoring. Instead they get Skinner, a perennial loser. And Perry, another 40 year old loser.

Defense is comically bad. Bouchard isn’t even good defensively and he plays on the top pair and is essentially babysat by a 35 year old. Nurse, Emberson, Stecher, Kulak, Brown as the rest of your d core isn’t a serious team.

And on top of that you have a bottom 5 starter in the NHL who has fragile confidence and constantly needs to be bailed out by a college backup. Not a winning combination if the cup is what your team is after.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Well you keep assuming. We would have lost to Vegas. Playoffs 5 years in a row, two conference finals and a game away from beating the best team in the league. I will give you every team has a kryptonite. Vegas always plays oilers tough. Just like the Devils for whatever reason always play tough against the Bruins. Senators I think do well against them too. We played a tough Dallas team and beat them in 6, and took Florida to 7. You think we are poorly constructed team. I will agree and any oilers fan that we all want better goaltending , that is a constant.

Lmao go to Toronto. The team that has one playoff series in like two decades hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Good one. I needed that laugh this morning
Toronto, I meant a bigger market to showcase the games best player. Obviously they're a joke playoff wise.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Avridsson, who's looked great, replaces Foegele...Skinner replaces Mcleod...Holloway only played 38 games and had 9 points, not essential to the team
I've been on record as saying I would've kept Broberg

Oilers could use McDavid not having 2 points and a -5...or Drai with 1 PP goal
start there
Imo you’re evaluating players through a narrow lens. Those four guys the Oilers lost contributed a lot defensively. They were fast and excellent on back pressure, pk, and d zone starts. They were all excellent away from the puck. They also made smart and safe choices with the puck. The Oilers have given up 15 goals in three games because they didn’t replace these guys’ with players who play the same way.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Nurse was the only one with any physical pushback last night. As bad as he was that team would be so soft without him.

Too many players with the same skillset and style. If they get hot I'm sure they'll score a bunch of goals but that's the type of weakness that gets exposed in playoffs

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m shocked that they didn’t keep up the 95% PK they had in the playoffs. No one could have possibly predicted that was just an anomaly with their D and goaltending issues.
They caught lighting in a bottle with that historic PK last year. They are still a top offensive team and will no doubt rebound soon. But all the massive Cup favourites narrative this off season was way overblown. Goaltending and D remain huge issues.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Katz just keeps hiring GMs because they've won a Cup. Never considering if there might be other reasons that the teams had success. Never taking into account what these guys might have in terms of defects and shortcomings and baggage. Chiarelli, Holland, Bowman...failures and possibly worse.

Rotten from the head down and it's terribly damaging for the league to have its best player flub and flounder and screech and curse his way through a career because of it.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Toronto, I meant a bigger market to showcase the games best player. Obviously they're a joke playoff wise.
Oh. My bad lol. Ok fair enough

Well anyway. Agree to disagree. Vegas is a tough team though. Them beating us I don’t think should be a reason why we are not built good.

Utah might too. They look good

Oh well. Go have a beer. We can debate again later. I’ll watch timecop

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Imo you’re evaluating players through a narrow lens. Those four guys the Oilers lost contributed a lot defensively. They were fast and excellent on back pressure, pk, and d zone starts. They were all excellent away from the puck. They also made smart and safe choices with the puck. The Oilers have given up 15 goals in three games because they didn’t replace these guys’ with players who play the same way.
meh, still too early to evaluate....last season they started 1-5-1 and gave up a whopping 30 goals...that's over 4 goals per game
and that's with all that speed and "defensive contributions" from McLeod, Foegele, Desharnais, Ceci (Broberg and Holloway were in the AHL)

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Edmonton is still the team to beat. But that fact, along with a weak D and very weak goaltending will mean a much more difficult slog through the regular season. Cup hangovers are a real thing so the team will have to overcome that. And I think they will. But unless there are significant additions to the roster I suspect they won't last long in the post season.

Always fun to troll, but any team with McDrai is still going to be dangerous.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
meh, still too early to evaluate....last season they started 1-5-1 and gave up a whopping 30 goals...that's over 4 goals per game
and that's with all that speed and "defensive contributions" from McLeod, Foegele, Desharnais, Ceci (Broberg and Holloway were in the AHL)
Im just disappointed a team that top heavy who had glaring weaknesses choose to replace depth defensive players with guys like Jeff Skinner. Such a narrow lens view thinking that PK would actually carry over and lets insert 40 goals from skinner to fix everything. They should be trading for Phil Denault and finding ways to compliment their D and depth. Instead they gave Draisaitl a traffic cone whos good at finishing 5 ft from the net only. And when Draisaitl plays his inevitable 50% ice time with MCDavid, Skinner is going to be given to RNH or Henrique who cant carry his lazy ass, which will result in goals against.

And captain obvious but enough with Oilers fans saying "we did this last season". Betting on a historic 16 game run just to get them back on par is not wise.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Oilers from the playoffs last season are a much slower and defensively poorer club now. They didn’t replace the speed and defensive acumen of the guys list this summer with similar quality. Those players were all part of the Oilers last year. Who do they have now to fill those roles? That’s the problem.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It is just 3 games, but:

15 goals against (leads the NHL). The defense (beside Ekholm) looks s..t

Goaltending is a big issue as well and surely not a strength.

Offense: only 3 goals scored. They will bounce back. But they wont have the best offense in the league. 2 core players in Hyman, RNH are not getting younger and better. RNH does not look good at 5 vs. 5. Arvidsson and Skinner are meh additions all things considered (age, injury, playoff experience) The 3rd and 4th line is below league average.
Some guys say, the average age of the overall forward group is not important, but the age (and experience) of the top stars. For me it is quite the opposite. McDavid and Draisaitl are in their 10th year and are basically their youngest forwards! For me it does not matter, if those two guys are 23 or 32, as long as they have enough playoff experience. It is the rest of the group, who concerns me. They lost speed, youth and playoff experience and got 2 younger players (one is a fringe NHL player and one is in the AHL).

The oilers got worse this year. They still have time to fix some issues with the defense, but it is gonna be very difficult.
Of the 3

Offence will come. That I'm not worried about. It's almost comical how many good chances we've screwed up. But that Top 6 is great and it should come. That's rust/hangover/pissyness/whatever. And yes, old. Not good to have so many old guys. I get Bro/Hollo/McLeod/Foeg were not the 'core' but they could all skate like the wind. We lost 4 burners and didn't replace them with burners but savvy vets - meh.

Defence can improve marginally but that's about it. We are running 2 top 4 guys on a nice pair, Nurse is being asked to carry a guy worse than Ceci (doesn't matter if that is Stecher or Embersson or Kemp or whoever else they want to put on his side) and we needed to upgrade Ceci not lateral move. I am a Nurse fan but will say that I'm getting to the point where it'd be nice if he could carry a second pair with a shittier partner.

Goaltending - Stu is a good goalie. I'm not saying Helle and the Russians but he is a good goalie. PIckard is definitely not an imposing backup though.

Hiring Bowman seems to have brought on Waiver wire and offer sheets hijinx (or maybe I'm connecting two things that aren't connected).

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Im just disappointed a team that top heavy who had glaring weaknesses choose to replace depth defensive players with guys like Jeff Skinner. Such a narrow lens view thinking that PK would actually carry over and lets insert 40 goals from skinner to fix everything. They should be trading for Phil Denault and finding ways to compliment their D and depth. Instead they gave Draisaitl a traffic cone whos good at finishing 5 ft from the net only. And when Draisaitl plays his inevitable 50% ice time with MCDavid, Skinner is going to be given to RNH or Henrique who cant carry his lazy ass, which will result in goals against.

And captain obvious but enough with Oilers fans saying "we did this last season". Betting on a historic 16 game run just to get them back on par is not wise.
Jeff Skinner has more points than Draisaitl and has 12 shots on goal through 3 games...yet you choose right now to slag him? lol
may wanna look elsehwere

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree with thie wholeheartedly.

I'll just add why some of us Oil fans type these things.

The second a team scores on us and we go down 1-0 the same posters come out of the woodwork

Drai is leaving
Connor is leaving
Nurse can't play in the NHL
Skinner is ECHL
Oilers are the worst team in the universe
Bouch is ECHL
They have no chance of making the playoffs

Like the comments are damn near instant.lol

That's why we write shit like 'this happened last year'.lol

But yes, trying to replicate last year is a bad idea.lol Czech goalies Vladar and Mrazek are undefeated against us on, most likely, non playoff teams. That is not good.lol

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
funny enough skinner and perry have been their best players
Yep skinner is their best, giving up 6 goals first game and laying an egg again. If he is their best player, then they might win the draft lottery this year

"Biggest Cup favorites of all time" getting their shit completely kicked in so far.
By team that wont make playoffs like Chicago and Calgary. Wait til they meet some playoff teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad